New IRS rules could mean a lot of trouble for us in 2011

Having just called the IRS about tax deposits, I was floored to find out quarterly estimated payments used especially by retired people, starting in 2011, will have to be done by computer or over the phone.

You will not be able to mail in those quarterly payments through the mail. The same goes for businesses doing Form 941 deposits.

I can see serious issues coming as far as tax collection throughout the year. This is hope and change we could do without.

Susan Clayborn

Grovetown

Comments (18)

soldout
soldout 10/27/10 - 10:20 pm

If we all head down to the

If we all head down to the irs office with cash for the estimated I bet we can put a stop to that.

LaTwon
LaTwon 10/27/10 - 11:17 pm

it is an extremely easy

it is an extremely easy procedure , easier than going tothe bank.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/28/10 - 05:14 am

While computerizing the tax

While computerizing the tax payments is obviously a good idea, it's only a good idea for those with computer skills or the where with all to hire the work done. Many retirees don't even own computers and , of course, are totally without computer skills.
This burden, along with all other IRS burdens, can be eliminated by instituting the Fair Tax Plan. This will not happen without a conservative, pro-American congress and president.

wildman
wildman 10/28/10 - 05:27 am

Not for the people or by the

Not for the people or by the people but stick it to the people. I agree with the person above, Fair Tax Plan will resolved this issue and work for the people that made this country a great place to live and force those to pay that have avoided taxes over the years.

Rhetor
Rhetor 10/28/10 - 05:56 am

I wasn't privy to the

I wasn't privy to the writer's phone conversation, but as best as I can tell, the IRS will still accept IRS form 1040-ES by mail in 2011 the same as they always have. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding or miscommunication. Computer and phone payments are options but are not required. The official instructions are at this website:
So, the letter writer can keep doing things the same old way and can stop worrying.

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/28/10 - 06:23 am

Fair Tax.

Fair Tax.

curly123053
curly123053 10/28/10 - 08:45 am

The FairTax will fix this

The FairTax will fix this problem and do away with all income taxes and filings.

Chillen
Chillen 10/28/10 - 09:48 am

I'm going to go to the local

I'm going to go to the local IRS office and make my $5000+ quarterly payment in pennies - unrolled. That is more than 1/2 million pennies. Anyone think that will work for them?

On an even funnier note, they have just dealt a crushing blow to their "sister" federal agency the US Post Office. Their volume just dropped by millions of pieces of mail every year LOL!

curly & dixieman. I totally agree. Implement the Fair Tax.

Chillen
Chillen 10/28/10 - 09:49 am

dup.

dup.

So crates
So crates 10/28/10 - 09:56 am

I think it may be about time.

I think it may be about time. I've had a computer in my home since the 80's. Anyone remember phone modems? Time to catch up, Sue.

corgimom
19267
corgimom 10/28/10 - 11:50 am

The state of NC requires

The state of NC requires quarterly tax deposit by computer. It's quick, easy, and we haven't had one single problem with it.

Relax yourself, Susan.

BobG
BobG 10/28/10 - 03:04 pm

"Anyone remember phone

"Anyone remember phone modems?"

.....Not only do I remember phone modems, but I remember when they consisted of a "cradle" in which you would place your handset after dialing your ISP.
.....I also remember that the first computer I bought was (not a Commodore 64) a Tandy (Radio Shack) that cost me $1100 and did not even include a hard drive. Bought that separately.
.....It was twenty megs and I remember thinking that "Man, I'll never use all that space". Of course the machines then all used DOS. (Which I had to teach myself.) Twenty megs went a long way with no graphics to contend with.
.....What can you get in a computer today for $1100.00?? Think about that before bitching about free enterprise...

Come to think of it. What would $1100.00 in 1988 dollars be worth today???? We've come a long way Baby........

ruudvonbaron
ruudvonbaron 10/28/10 - 03:37 pm

Ol' Susan complains about the

Ol' Susan complains about the government yet keeps on electing morons from the same 2 main political parties. What did you expect to change?

Rhetor
Rhetor 10/28/10 - 04:56 pm

Hmm.

Hmm.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 10/28/10 - 04:59 pm

Rhetor ... you are correct

Rhetor ... you are correct ... it won't happen until next year, which is about 2 month away.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 10/28/10 - 06:14 pm

You should talk to your bank

You should talk to your bank Ms Clayborn. I've not did it myself but from my bank's website, it appears you can set up recurring payments with your bank. Let the bank handle the tax payment for you.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/28/10 - 08:21 pm

This form of government is

This form of government is what you can expect from a tax evading secretary of the Treasury. timmy geithner should be behind bars rather than collecting them.

ameliaf
ameliaf 10/29/10 - 02:27 pm

It is just change - making

It is just change - making the federal government more efficient, bringing routines into automated processes.

And, the Fair Tax is a disaster. Implement that and just watch the underground economy expand past anything anyone ever dreamed of. And, watch the concentration of wealth - already greater than what it was just prior to the Great Depression - decimate the middle and lower middle classes. You won't make a fairer economy - you will destroy it.

silly wabbit
silly wabbit 10/30/10 - 02:08 pm

Socrates: While SOME folks

Socrates: While SOME folks have had computers since before even you, that doesn't mean that the people who grew up during the Depression Era did. Many of the people I've met who fit into that category are so paranoid about "security" that they've buried their money in fire-proof boxes in cement recesses (the old mattress thing just won't do these days lol) and have guns and dogs on-property or other security systems. And you expect THEM to put their trust in the internet, where "security" is dubious at best? lol. Gaspring has an alternative that may better suit an elderly person: let the bank do it for you. Much more secure and in case alzheimer's sets in, at least the poor person won't go to prison for "forgetting" to pay their taxes. The only problem I could foresee with this plan is in convincing them to put more than one year's worth of taxes INTO a bank account (and with all the failed banking/loan institutions in this country, who could blame them?) lol

ruud: please point out specifically just WHERE the letter writer declared who she voted for.

The issue of "fair tax" vs "the tax we have now" is hardly relevant here, at least in relation to the complaint in the letter. Regardless of WHAT kind of tax system there is, there has to be a way to REMIT those taxes. Doesn't matter WHO is in charge of the government, it would be in that governments best interest to make it as EASY as possible.

New chair gets vet off-road to fish

Army veteran Henry Kent's new Action Trackchair has attachments for fishing, with a holder for his fishing pole and a built-in tackle box, but others can be outfitted with gunracks for hunting.