Make Powell next ag commissioner

I will start by stating that I am related to J.B. Powell. He is my first cousin, and since he is a little older than I am and I am the oldest in my family, he always seemed like my older brother.

J. B. entered politics in 1994 by unseating Hobson Chavous for the Richmond County Commission's District 6 seat. He was on the commission when the consolidated government was formed to bail out the bankrupt city of Augusta; the Diamond Lakes Regional Park and the Murray Road Soccer Complex were created; and the water and wastewater systems were repaired to meet government standards. All this was accomplished without increasing the millage rate.

J.B. was elected to District 23 of the state Senate in 2004, and has been the primary sponsor of more than 45 bills and co-sponsor of many others. These have included bills promoting Georgia's agri-tourism business, soil erosion projects and river basin protection.

He is an active member of the Agriculture and Consumer Affairs Committee. He serves as an ex-officio member of the Natural Resources and Environment Committee, and is a member of the Interstate Cooperation and State Institutions and Property Committees. He also is secretary of the State's Science and Technology Committee.

J.B.'s opponent in the race is Gary Black. He has served for 21 years as the president of the Georgia Agribusiness Council -- in other words, a lobbyist. Tommy Irvin referred to Mr. Black as "a fox guarding the henhouse" during the 2006 election.

During my visits with J.B. over the years, he has received numerous calls from his constituents and has always responded and tried to help them with their issues.

His openness and concern are the reasons I believe he is the only choice for agricultural commissioner.

Russell Gibbs

Lincolnton

truthsetmfree
truthsetmfree 10/28/10 - 11:14 pm
how bout all the money he

how bout all the money he made on contracts from omi after he was instrumental as a commissioner in getting them the city wastewater contract? What about the fast one he tried to pull with Leon Garvin? Hopefully we are rid of J.B Powell for a while. His latest political manuever may go down as the biggest political goof of all times. Who would give up a senate seat for agri commissioner, something stinks here and its all over J.B

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/28/10 - 11:47 pm
Yeah, I will vote for Powell

Yeah, I will vote for Powell when they hold the Winter Olympics in Hades.

wribbs
wribbs 10/29/10 - 06:20 am
Yes. Very good points on why

Yes. Very good points on why to vote for him. He knows how to the game the system better than anyone else out there. Why is there even a agricultural commissioner anyway?

I met him at a meeting once. He was going around glad handing everyone. I asked him what qualified him for the job, he stopped looked at me and said he could shell butter beans faster than any of those fancy butter bean shelling machines out there. Then he just walked away. Just kidding, he just glad handed me.

joebowles
joebowles 10/29/10 - 07:25 am
Amen Taylor. Look at how he

Amen Taylor. Look at how he treated the people of his District with his bait and switch on registration day with Leon (Don't know where I live) Garvin.
If he gets one vote from his District other than his own they should never be allowed to vote again.

sgachief
sgachief 10/29/10 - 07:53 am
he accomplished absolutely

he accomplished absolutely nothing during his tenure as senator. he even tried to pay off some of his supporters in law enforcement with $10,000 underserved raises. thankfully our Governor saw thru the sham and vetoed that legislation. Gary Black all the way.

carcraft
carcraft 10/29/10 - 07:55 am
JB Powell and his stupid

JB Powell and his stupid "Beverly Hillbilly" ad can take a hike. Powell wants to put in and control horse racing in Georgia. www.politifact.com/georgia/statements/2010/sep/17/jb-po... This is a good article about Powell's assumptions and says they are bearly true! Why would horse racing fall under the Department of agricutrue any way? I am sure like our former county commissioner and drag strips Powell owns choice land for race tracks or some such..

ripjones
ripjones 10/29/10 - 08:14 am
You are nuts. J.B. Powell is

You are nuts. J.B. Powell is a career politician. He doesn't know how to do anything else. He's not even a farmer. Gary Black is the man to vote for. And there is a "JB" sign in front of Joey Brush's office building. Go figure.

Indigo
Indigo 10/29/10 - 08:39 am
If Joey Brush is supporting

If Joey Brush is supporting him thats reason enough to not vote for the clown.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/29/10 - 09:34 am
Just because he's full of

Just because he's full of "fertilizer" doesn't mean he will make a good Ag Commissioner...

Indigo
Indigo 10/29/10 - 09:37 am
LOL @ Taylor B

LOL @ Taylor B

dashiel
dashiel 10/29/10 - 10:24 am
Thank You, Mr. Gibbs, for

Thank You, Mr. Gibbs, for pointing out the many contributions this public servant has made, particularly for the people of southern Richmond County who so often receive the short end of the stick.

I can see how a metastacized Republican might resent such accomplishments, but how could one justify voting for a lobbyist over a farmer? The obvious explanation is the usual one: personal gain for public disservice.

If Mr. Powell has the endorsement of Commissioner Tommy Irvin, a gentleman of sterling character and a Georgia treasure, then he's plenty good enough for me. People who have to actually work for a living are not as stupid as some of you seem to hope. We learn a great deal observing animal behavior on a daily basis. It might be coming on Halloween, but your costumes don't fool us. We see past your wool.

Vote J. B. Powell for Agriculture Commissioner. Leave Black to wallow in the trough with the rest of the swine.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/29/10 - 10:48 am
Dash, when has Kevin Cherry,

Dash, when has Kevin Cherry, my vote for Ag Commissioner, served as a lobbyist? He owns a large pest control and wildlife trapping service, which is regulated by this commissioner.

joebowles
joebowles 10/29/10 - 10:52 am
Dashiel, As the writer stated

Dashiel, As the writer stated he bailed out the broke City with the Counties tax dollars. How is that a good thing???????

Holdem
Holdem 10/29/10 - 01:27 pm
This one won't even be close.

This one won't even be close. Bet on Black

HuckFinn
HuckFinn 10/29/10 - 09:33 pm
Wonder why all the pest

Wonder why all the pest control people (who are regulated by the ag commissioner) like Black? Someone should look into that.

You know, if JB were to be elected, he would be the only statewide elected official that did NOT live in the metro Atlanta area. What kind of ag is there in North Atlanta?

Anyway, Mr. Gibbs raises a valid point about Black formerly working for an ag lobby organization before he started running for ag commissioner 6 years ago. He lost to Tommy Irvin last time, and Irvin is supporting JB. He must really want the job bad. Kinda like Meg Whitman running out in California - she's spent a majority of her personal Ebay fortune for a low paying government elected job. Why? Where's the payoff?

Russell Gibbs
Russell Gibbs 10/30/10 - 12:30 am
Tough Crowd. Here is what a

Tough Crowd.
Here is what a Reagan Republican has to say about Gary Black.
Here is what Tommy Irvin had to say about Gary Black in 2006.

Vote your Conscience on November 2nd.

I thought Consolidation was a good idea. Maybe you can undo it Joe.

irishfarmer
irishfarmer 10/30/10 - 10:54 am
Jb Powell can talk like,

Jb Powell can talk like, dress like, and even try to act like a farmer. The truth is he is not. I have met Gary Blcak and he is a fine person. I have been to his cattle farm and seen the operation. Unlike Good Ol Boy system JB yep he's a farmer alright he has a pine tree farm not to difficult to grow those here in Georgia. JB is a joke and a sick one at that. Gary Black is the right person for the job of Ag Commissioner of Georgia period. GO GARY GO! Also remember this below. The two qualifications to be able to Qualify to run for Ag Commissioner in Georgia.

1. Be over 25 years old.

2. Be a practical practicing farmer.

Judge for yourself's pine trees or cattle when it comes down to it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/30/10 - 11:05 am
Good points, Irish. Perhaps

Good points, Irish. Perhaps some of our city folks reading this article might want to go to their dictionaries and look up the word silviculture. I voted for Black yesterday.

irishfarmer
irishfarmer 10/30/10 - 11:38 am
Little Lamb: Thanks! I hope

Little Lamb:

Thanks! I hope all is well.

GO DAWGS! Beat Florida!

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/30/10 - 11:49 am
Irish, that's a good point

Irish, that's a good point about JB and his "farmer" status. When I inherited my farm in Aiken, I went to the Farm Bureau Office and they told me I had a crop conservation allowance if I didn't grow cotton. I told them it was a good thing because I didn't know how to grow cotton. I had pine trees planted everywhere and in about 90 years I'll go back and check on them.

Farmer Riverman

irishfarmer
irishfarmer 10/30/10 - 12:01 pm
Farmer Riverman: Funny Im

Farmer Riverman:

Funny Im LOL! And Thanks!

I hope all is well.

HotDiva01
HotDiva01 10/30/10 - 01:10 pm
Irishfarmer, Again a

Irishfarmer,

Again a great post on here by you and one that is factual as well. Maybe one of those in the Good Ol Boy system will finally fall. We do not need a pretend farmer in Atlanta regulating crop and food safety or a joke of a canidatewho has betrayed voters again and again. Remember folks JB is the same type of politician as Charles Walker was and as Roy Barnes is. Look at how they embarressed us and failed this state. GO GARY BLACK!

Thanks Again Irishfarmer!

irishfarmer
irishfarmer 10/30/10 - 01:19 pm
HotDiva01: Thanks and No

HotDiva01:

Thanks and No Problem! I hope all is well.

Taylor B.:

Good Luck on Tuesday and alot of folks are pullin for ya and also have voted for ya.

joebowles: Right on as usual thats the norm for you!

rustydog
rustydog 10/30/10 - 05:05 pm
This IS a tough crowd! Mr.

This IS a tough crowd! Mr. Gibbs, thank you for the links in your response! Politics can be a nasty business, but someone does have to lead. Those that know Mr. Powell know that he is a very good man, doing what he thinks is best for his state. There are obviously ethic concerns regarding Mr. Black, as the link provided, shows. This from a member of Mr. Black's own party. Unfortunately, many of the posters here are concerned with character assasination. That really is sad. I know Mr. Powell is a Democrat, but he does have some conservative views and is pro-business. He is also the best man for the job. Regarding the 'bait and switch" charge, maybe Mr. Powell saw that Mr. Black was running for a job that could have consequences from Mr. Black being a lobbyist. Maybe he did wait until the last minute because he was "torn" with the decision and his constituents. I don't know, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He was re-elected in the past, and I believe his constituents were obvisiouly pleased with his performance. This is going to be a rough election for any Democrat because of the mood of the nation. I would hope that voters actually evaluate the truth in this matter, and not just "Drink the Kool Aid". As was posted earlier, one would wonder why someone would want the job anyway, with all of the mud slinging. There are individuals that have a passion for what they do, and they want to make the place around them better. I believe J.B. Powell is one of those individuals, and he has my vote. I hope other voters do their research, and they can easily start with the links Mr. Gibbs provided earlier.

Russell Gibbs
Russell Gibbs 10/31/10 - 11:48 am
If you focus your eyes to the

If you focus your eyes to the Far Right or to the Far Left you sure miss a lot of scenery.

I prefer to look straight ahead. Peripheral Vision takes care of the rest.

VOTE JB POWELL FOR AGRICULTURAL COMMISSIONER ON NOVEMBER 2ND.

JB Powell Receives Republican Endorsement from GOP Ag Commissioner candidate Darwin Carter

Savannah Morning News, 4/11/2009, By: Walter Jones
"......much more so than some fairly conservative Democrats like Sen. J.B. Powell of Augusta, who matched the GOP brass on 81 percent of the votes."