Lower taxes for the working class

No, I am not an economist. Not by a long shot. However, based on the information and predictions we have been getting from people in the financial world, I feel that my opinions and my predictions in the world of economics are just as valuable. Economists have been wrong so many times that we do not know whom to believe.

We say that we are a capitalistic society and that our economy operates best on those principles, and those alone. We frown on the word "socialism" because we see it as a system of government controls, which stifles creativity, entrepreneurship and economic growth.

This election is pretty much based on the state of the economy and how best to fix it. Republicans are saying that getting government out of people's lives and lowering taxes for business is the way to grow the economy. Democrats are saying that government has a place in people's lives, which I believe. We cannot trust the "haves" to be their brothers' keepers. Somebody has to keep an eye on them.

Lowering the tax rate of the working class, not business, is the way to stimulate the economy. Letting more money stay in people's pockets is the way to go, if we want to get this economy back on its feet. President Reagan showed us what giving tax breaks to the rich -- hoping the benefits would trickle down to the working class -- would do to the economy. Those benefits stayed in the pockets of the rich, and the results are still being felt today. The rich got richer and the poor got poorer.

Do not go for the hype this election cycle and be fooled again, as we were fooled in the 1980s with the policies of the rich.

dani
dani 10/24/10 - 06:09 am
Mr.Abrams. How sad you must

Mr.Abrams. How sad you must feel. In this big, wide world and you had to be stuck in a country ruled by freedom loving people , people that will do everything within their power to stay free and not a slave to government.
You said "Democrats are saying that government has a place in people's lives, which I believe". Well so do Republicans Mr Abrams, the difference is a more limited role - not a takeover. Don't limit yourself to Liberal talking points, they have their own agenda, and that agenda, Mr Abrams, is trying to buy your vote.

Please. I am not trying to change your position, you appear to be be set in your belief that in a socialist society the government supported people get richer. I have yet to see those living off the taxpayers become wealthy, I see them year after year living in the same poverty
- but then - what do I know. I believe in freedom, not socialism.

God Bless you Mr Abrams. All "dependent minded" folks are in my prayers. .
In the meantime, I suggest that you listen to Ray Charles sing "America the Beautiful", you will feel better.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 10/24/10 - 06:51 am
All citizens should be

All citizens should be employed by the government and all needs would be supplied and regulated by the appointees(czars)of said government.We(the citizens) certainly don't know what is best for our own good so,we must be told or forced to do what is best.Vote Democrat and put your mind at ease-the government will tend to all of your needs and wants.

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 10/24/10 - 06:52 am
"We cannot trust the "haves"

"We cannot trust the "haves" to be their brothers' keepers." You are 100% correct. Be your own keeper! Take care of YOURSELF! If you try it, believe me, it is most rewarding!

usafvet
usafvet 10/24/10 - 09:14 am
We reaped the benefits of The

We reaped the benefits of The Honorable Ronald Reagan's efforts until the democrats took congress in 2006. The terrorists attacks of 9/11 really set this country back, and thank God we had The Honorable George W. Bush at the helm to keep this country safe and halt the terrorists aggressions. Those that would believe that the muslim terrorists don't want us all dead are fools. However the biggest travesty to our homeland happened in 2006. The democrats with undying effort and collusion from the media set out to destroy the Republican party not caring that they were taking this Country down. Then the icing on the cake was electing a narcissistic, socialist in dumbobama that had no experience and less love of this nation. He proclaimed his alliance to the muslims, has bowed to our adversaries, and spends too much time aligning himself with other dictators. Hopefully the silent majority will continue their awakening through Nov. 2nd. GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, AND OUR VETERANS.

chascush
chascush 10/24/10 - 09:52 am
Well said usafvet

Well said usafvet

Darby
Darby 10/24/10 - 10:54 am
"Democrats are saying that

"Democrats are saying that government has a place in people's lives, which I believe. We cannot trust the "haves" to be their brothers' keepers. Somebody has to keep an eye on them."

As Lucy would say, "Good grief Charlie Brown!" Where does one go to even begin to address the lunacy in this letter. "Economists have been wrong so many times that we do not know whom to believe."

An equal number of economists have been right. It's the politicians who make the decisions, not the economists. I can tell you right now, that any elected Democrat is going to surround himself with Keynesian theorists (basically Marxist leaning). Those who share the same view that there can't be enough government involvement in the economy.

Yeah, tax the hell out of the folks who create the jobs and give their earnings to the takers. Then wait for them to rush out and buy stuff that doesn't exist because no one can afford to make it. Really good thinking. If an atrophied brain could only think.

Right on - The politics of envy are only good for one thing, to get Democrats elected and re-elected. Nothing else.

..... Good grief...!!!

Chillen
Chillen 10/24/10 - 10:53 am
Yes, lower taxes for the

Yes, lower taxes for the working class. HA-HA-HA! How can you possibly do that?!

The bottom 50% already pay no taxes! What you are suggesting, Mr. Abrams, is adding more WELFARE. More HANDOUTS. More FREEBIES. Redistribution of wealth at it's finest.

Capitalism works. Socialism and redistribution of wealth doesn't. It's a fact.

impossible
impossible 10/24/10 - 10:54 am
Dani, et al - you really

Dani, et al - you really nailed it!

In addition to flunking Economics 101, Mr. Abrams, you have flunked History 101 and, most disgustingly, you have flunked Honesty 101.

Obama's accomplishment - playing 52 rounds of golf with only two years in office. I do believe that's a record. I wonder if he counts all of his strokes. No doubt his recounting of the rounds is much more convincing than the actual performances.

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 10/24/10 - 11:10 am
He probably takes the average

He probably takes the average of all the strokes of those playing with him..........a much more Marxists approach! Wouldn't want those who are skilled at the game to be the only one's with good scores! That wouldn't be fair.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 10/24/10 - 12:01 pm
Your letter truly saddens me,

Your letter truly saddens me, Mr Abrams. I was so impressed by your most recent letter when you took to task those that were critical of Justice Thomas' invitation to the opening of the judicial center. Obviously, you are a Dr. Jekyl and Mr Hyde with your logic. Surely, you do not believe in redistribution of wealth as your letter suggests. If you do , I feel sorry for you

So crates
So crates 10/24/10 - 01:13 pm
The naivete of suggesting

The naivete of suggesting that we are somehow independent citizens in America is a glaring exposure of the ignorance of people who perpetuate this rhetoric. Pure capitalism is just a form of barbarism just as pure socialism is a form of totalitarianism; neither of those things does now or ever has existed in this country. You are not an independent self employed citizen anywhere on this planet. That is a myth. You are a member of a civilization that has established agreements among all citizens that allow you to pursue your life in the way that you want. In exchange for the stability and security to do so, you have agreed to give up some things.

Permitting those in power to frame the argument as either about supporting the wealthy or supporting the workers is inadequate at this juncture in history. It is irrelevant, in fact. Perpetuating either argument is perpetuating the status quo. We have only accepted this argument because it is the crudest polarizing summary of the arguments we are all seeking answers to. Yet we all know that there are real problems facing America in the global economy. We need to look at the issues more closely and with a less bi-polar attitude.

Instead of focusing on these petty little arguments about borrow from China for the wealthy or borrow from China for the workers, how about we address the real problem: how is America going to adapt to increased corporate financial risks and lowered citizen's standards of living that all this borrowing indicates we need to get used to? Is it really as bad as each side is making it all out to be, or can both sides give a little and return America to a more reasonable level of debt?

We are going to have to tax both workers and corporations more just to get out of debt quickly, but what planning and incentives can we provide to each to maintain the stability and security that fosters progress now and in the future?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 10/24/10 - 01:48 pm
So Crates, your long,

So Crates, your long, convoluted explanation of what is wrong in our society brings back memories of my old boss who would say " don't bring me a problem unless you have a solution. Otherwise you are wasting both our times" Your last paragraph sums it up. You have no solution and, therefore, you have wasted both our times.

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 10/24/10 - 01:58 pm
Socrates explanation is

Socrates explanation is "there's nothing you can do about it, so why bother trying." The elections will prove otherwise.

Darby
Darby 10/24/10 - 02:38 pm
"You are a member of a

"You are a member of a civilization that has established agreements among all citizens that allow you to pursue your life in the way that you want. In exchange for the stability and security to do so, you have agreed to give up some things."

Boringgggg!!!!

You might, just maybe, perhaps (If the moon and stars are properly aligned.) make the argument that there is an IMPLIED agreement, but, outside the mind of a liberal Democrat, no actual agreement actually exists anywhere.

What our friend says, while droning on and on, is just a variation of the old argument, that "If you're gonna get raped, and there's nothing you can do about it, just lie back and try to enjoy it." NO THANKS.... I prefer to fight!!

Just eight days and a wake-up!!

BobG
BobG 10/24/10 - 02:48 pm
Sorry 'Crates - I will only

Sorry 'Crates - I will only agree to enough taxes to fund the military, a limited police presence, (limited because I prefer to defend myself and my family) and fire protection. Beyond that, all else must be renegotiated and a case by case basis...

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 10/24/10 - 04:01 pm
If you try to argue with a

If you try to argue with a liberal, this is what you get.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/24/10 - 04:35 pm
Two schools of thought. Lower

Two schools of thought. Lower taxes, cut government spending, let people decide how to live their lives and spend their money. Or, raise taxes, let the government subsidize even more lazy people and use your money create even more agencies to regulate your lives, education, and health care even more than they do now. See you at the voting booth in 9 days. It's not just an economic thing.....it's a freedom thing.

chascush
chascush 10/24/10 - 05:12 pm
Mad Hatter, ‘If you try to

Mad Hatter, ‘If you try to argue with a liberal, this is what you get.’
Glenn Beck wrote a good book called ‘Arguing with Idiots’.

dani
dani 10/24/10 - 06:14 pm
I lke that, Hatter.

I lke that, Hatter.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/24/10 - 06:25 pm
"We cannot trust the "haves"

"We cannot trust the "haves" to be their brothers' keepers." Why should they? No one makes the have nots who don't try to be responsible at all even attempt to contribute anything, well except the more dependants they create at alarming rates. You worry about those who have giving to those who dont, but say absolutely nothing about the millions who refuse to pull their own weight... or at the very least stop making more dependents and problems for others to support 100%. It goes both ways. The working class in the middle get it from both ends, but at least most of the "haves" are working and contributing something other than more dependants for the working class!! If you want to call someone out, also call out the lazy baby factories who contribute nothing to society except crime and more dependants to suck the money available for the truly needy who do try dry!

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 10/24/10 - 08:19 pm
It seems most posters here

It seems most posters here are very uninformed with the exception of
So crates. Congratulations So, for an excellent post.We all pay taxes for staple governments, city , state, and national.Let these governments fail to operate daily and see what will happen to us.Yes, we fuss with the politicans but it is the so called bureaucrats that run everything.Go to a country where there is an unstaple and malfunctional government and see what will happen---I have been to some ofthese places and get out as quick as I can.We are blessed in the USA and don't appreciate it. Many poor and low income people can barely live decently and don't earn enough to pay taxes. They pay a lot of sales tax because they buy a lot of individual items and shop daily.We also need to stop dividing ourselves about ideology and become our brotherkeepers.I pay a lot of taxes because I make a lot of money and don't gripe about it. I have lived in couple of countries and paid no taxes, but I didn't have the security and services I have in the give ole USA.We need to stop all this BS and become more informed to improve our city ,state and country in areas needd.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 10/24/10 - 08:29 pm
Would like to meet you So

Would like to meet you So crates because I admire informed and intelligent people.Many posters repeat what their feudal lords
spewed.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 10/24/10 - 08:33 pm
Great idea Grady. Let us cut

Great idea Grady. Let us cut taxes on eveybody who is now paying $3000 or less. Return the $3000 and let it flow in the econmy.

BobG
BobG 10/24/10 - 08:55 pm
"Many poor and low income

"Many poor and low income people can barely live decently and don't earn enough to pay taxes."

.....Then they aren't working hard enough. I had a similar problem until it struck me one day that the rest of the world didn't owe me anything...

......Has anyone seen So Crates and Rozzie in the same room? Or maybe they were separated at birth. Very strange....

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 10/24/10 - 09:02 pm
Bob...I was a bit sickened by

Bob...I was a bit sickened by the So Crates worship.

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 10/24/10 - 09:35 pm
Typical liberal reply

Typical liberal reply though....."if you disagree with me, then you are uninformed." No need to post any countering facts.

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 10/25/10 - 07:56 am
It has been said that if you

It has been said that if you never vote or get involved and make a political stand you have no reason to complain about what your goverment is doing to you... Well I fall into that stance...I've never voted in the last 50 years that I have been able to vote..The reason for this is, that who ever was in power weather it be a republican,democrate or even an independant.there leadership has not effected (Me) one way or another. I worked all my life ,payed my taxes and I have a wonderful life .I found out many years ago. that the term "WE THE PEOPLE" went by the way side long time ago. You vote someone in on their promises and they lie to you..it happens every voting cycle. They tell you just what you want to hear. Then after they get setteled in its WE THE POLITICIAN. Vote your convictions next week ...some will be happy and some will be disapointed AS for me life will go on as usual. I will say this in closing. I hate war.. but I have no say so in the War. No more than any of you..I'll be reading your post as I have been doing for about a year now...will see how all this"WE THE PEOPLE" turns out for you. Good bad or indifferent..Have a wonderful life... It's too short as it is. CATFISHSTEW

mable8
mable8 10/25/10 - 06:27 am
Mr Adams: "Take for instance,

Mr Adams: "Take for instance, as the economy stands today: What private entity is going to increase employment in a sluggish economy, even with government help, when the demand is not there for goods and services? Creating that demand is critical to economic growth." What makes you think that there is no demand for the goods? Isn't it very possible that the demand is there but cannot be met because there are no jobs to generate the monies necessary to make those purchases? People have to have access to employment in order to earn the income, which fulfills the demand criteria---it cannot be done when government is destroying the mechanisms that CREATE jobs.

WW1949
WW1949 10/25/10 - 07:57 am
Sorry Socrates, Mr. Abrams

Sorry Socrates, Mr. Abrams and Rozzie, I do not think I am my brothers keeper. Never have and never will. However I will pay anyone to do the things that I want done. That is the problem with some--they want but do not want to expend any energy to get it. They want what is yours because you are one of the "HAVES". I am one of the haves and have worked dadgum hard to get what I have and it is not yours.

corgimom
corgimom 10/25/10 - 08:35 am
"Next week I think I'll make

"Next week I think I'll make it my goal to go and find a job from someone who pays no taxes - the so called "working class". My goal is to be successful and find one by 2035. I've given myself so many years because I figure that there are only about 6 of them in the whole USA so it's going to take me a while to track them down."

If you make about $45,000 per year and have 3 kids, you won't pay taxes.

I know plenty of small business owners that fit that description, Chillen. It wouldn't take me long to find them at all.

Not all business owners make $450,000 per year, Chillen. You are sadly out of touch if that's what you think.

The median household income in 2005 was $46,000.

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.