Citizens want more rights, fewer taxes

A majority is a majority is a majority. Why Tracy E. Williams Jr. thinks this is a problem confounds me and, I'm sure, others like me.

Mr. Williams' letter ("Are Republicans out to destroy us?" Oct. 13) is just another example of name-calling by another liberal. In fact, all of this is becoming juvenile.

From the atmosphere of the herd, to the household, to school, to government, when the demand for one thing outweighs the demand for another -- well, that's the breaks. When it comes to the current state of affairs of the United States, citizens want to keep more of their money along with keeping their rights. I and others understand the importance of paying taxes to keep us safe, etc. But when the tax rates start inching closer to half our income, that is a problem. Mr. Williams surely isn't stating that for every $100 he makes he would gladly give $50 of it away.

I am far from having the income of the wealthiest few Americans, but guess what: Those wealthiest Americans are employing my husband, which keeps food on my table. If the government takes more money away from the rich guy, my family suffers either in the form of lower wages or, worse, a job loss. Why is this so hard to understand?

And as far as health care goes, the real reason why people don't like this is because we were never asked our opinion on something we will have to do! Allowing the government to dictate goods and services I use or buy is embarking on a dangerous road.

The hallowed ground of this country was founded on the premise that Americans are able to make their own choices. If that means that someone chooses to be an actor, I say, "Break a leg." For those who choose to become a doctor, I say, "Bless you." For those who choose to let me take care of them, I say, "Shame on you."

Hopefully this helps Mr. Williams understand the majority of this country right now.

Katherine Wideman

Martinez

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 10/18/10 - 01:40 pm
Cut the federal government?

Cut the federal government? My goodness they're saving us from evil and dastardly boogiemen!

The "true size" of the federal government stands at 17 million people providing goods and services to the federal government, according to Paul C. Light, author and a government professor at New York University.

In 2009 there were 1,580,000 active armed forces and 865,000 reservists. In 2007, there were 2,135,000 military retirees receiving 42.18 billion in paychecks. Terrorism has become a gold mine for employment. Some 1,271 government organizations and 1,931 private companies work on programs related to counterterrorism, homeland security and intelligence in about 10,000 locations across the US

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 10/18/10 - 01:55 pm
Liberals, sadly, are totally

Liberals, sadly, are totally addicted to the false promise of an all encompassing nanny state that takes care of us from cradle to grave. Loss of freedoms is never a concern to these poor deluded souls, as long as uncle picks up the tab for everything in their life they are quite content. That has become the point of demarcation for most of the USA, that has rebelled against the nanny state concept. Instead, most want a much smaller, more efficient government, that is more concerned with keeping our country safe than handing out freebies purchased with borrowed money. A few weeks from now I am pretty sure that a message will be sent by the electorate that will be heard loud and clear. Sadly, the clown in the White House will still insist that he knows better than we do what is good for us. Look for total gridlock for the next two years, as he will never accept working with the GOP on any issue, unless it suits his socialist agenda. Hence gridlock, which if you stop and think about it, is probably the best thing that could happen to our nation, at least until we can give the current POTUS his walking papers.

Chillen
Chillen 10/18/10 - 02:19 pm
"When the people fear their

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." ~Thomas Jefferson~

Here's some fun liberal government "fear" facts.
*Senate Majority leader Reid is in danger, not only of losing his leadership position but also his Senate seat.
*An 18-Term Minnesota Congressman (a dem) has only received ONE donation from his district (probably from his wife).
*Rasmussen says the Republicans will gain 55 seats this November.
*ABC says 63 dem seats are in jeopardy.
*Democrats who voted for the healthcare bill are so afraid of the wrath from their constituents that they are avoiding the subject like the plague.
*Democrats were so afraid coming into mid-term elections that they failed to index the alternative minimum tax or extend the Bush tax credits....they are paralyzed....afraid to do anything.
*Obama is mysteriously absent on the campaign trail. His televised cult-of-personality appearances have also declined. His endorsement is the kiss of death.
*Incumbents are also doing their best to avoid discussing the stimulus bills, the auto bailouts, the bank bailouts, the unemployment, the under-employment, the EPA cap & trade regulations. All things that THEY had a hand in creating.

Vote wisely for more personal freedom and less government in November. Let the tyranny and liberty begin. Enough said.

follower 10/18/10 - 02:22 pm
gaspring, a few questions and

gaspring, a few questions and opinions:

One, thanks for the link. But how can the author accurately estimate how many companies are in dual roles of serving the private sector as well as the government. We are one such company. The number may indeed be accurate, but there is also a chance it is greatly skewed.

Two, I don't really understand your point as to military numbers. Are you saying there are too many? As to the retiree's pension, should they not receive what they were promised?

Three, are you saying there is no threat in the form of a terrorist attack? A linguist friend at NSA would differ greatly if that is your stance. While he can't reveal specifics, he stated we would be horrified if we knew even a percentage of the information to which he is privy. I imagine that is the reason Obama is less dogmatic about the closing of Gitmo as well as his approval of a troop surge in Afghanistan.

A little more than nine years ago, the public was screaming as to why something like 9/11 could happen. Are you now saying we have all the intelligence we need to keep us safe?

Of course, you could correctly assume the government is wasting millions/billions as to the way they handle our protection, as well as just about everything else they do. Inefficiency is their speciality.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/18/10 - 02:25 pm
RCR, none of what you said is

RCR, none of what you said is true. I agree with your thoughts ( opinion) in your last sentence. The rest is hogwash (no offense). Sometimes you make solid comments. Not this time sorry.

Chillen
Chillen 10/18/10 - 02:29 pm
richmondcountyresident ".....

richmondcountyresident

".....goes on to give us the Reichpublican playbook about paying fifty percent of your income to taxes." Add up IRS tax, State income tax, sales tax, imbedded corporate taxes on every single thing you buy (this is HUGE), property taxes, tag taxes, transfer taxes, etc. etc. etc. and for those of us who pay taxes, yes 50% is absolutely a reasonable estimate.

"I guarantee the average wealthy person in this country pays less in taxes than the average citizen." BALONEY. 50% of American's don't even pay any taxes.

"The part about forcing someone to by *buy* healthcare is false again." No, it is mostly true. You are either forced to purchase healthcare or you pay a fine to the IRS. Unless you are a moocher and you get it for free from folks like me.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 10/18/10 - 03:21 pm
follower - Do an internet

follower - Do an internet search and you'll find the following. I don't know how the professor got his number and you'd probably have to read his book to see. But I don't doubt his 17 million people claim. Both Democrat and Republican administrations have increased government cost since 1950.

Paul C. Light, Ph.D.

Paul C. Light is the Paulette Goddard Professor of Public Service at the The Wagner School of Public Service at New York University, and he holds the Dillon Chair at the Brookings Institution where he established the Center for Public Service, in 1999. The author of 19 books on business, public service, and education, he is a familiar voice on NPR's "Morning Edition" and a well-known public speaker on organizational life

Moreover, I don't doubt we'll have occasional terrorist attacks and they won't stop until we get more evenhanded in the middle-east. Standing shoulder to shoulder with Israel and abusing the Palestinians will cause revenge attacks. But it's a small risk and we're overreacting. Making a mountain out of a molehill.

Crabby Appleton
Crabby Appleton 10/18/10 - 04:21 pm
Thanks to the internet

Thanks to the internet Democrats and Republicans alike can access a zillion articles and reasearch data to back up whatever statisical figures they'd like to see. I care not for any of that and those of you in this place that continue to try and one-up-manship each other with this blather is really tiresome.

Things don't have to be statistically complicated at all. I only know that a paycheck today doesn't buy much these days, and certainly not as much as a dollar would back in the 60's or so. I remember a time when most women stayed home and the husband most often earned enough money at ONE job to take care of his family.

NO MORE!! Not only is the wife required to work, but some work multiple jobs and still live at the poverty level. How can anyone who works a 40 hour work week look at the net on their paycheck and EVER VOTE DEMOCRAT?????

I don't give a rats behind how much the rich get taxed nor the poor.........I only care about how much I GET TAXED and I'm tired of it. Earlier poster about the myriad of other taxes besides payroll taxes we get hit with was right and it's absolutely INSANE!!

You liberal democrats get your money-grabbin' hands out of my back pocket and get a grip on how to take care of yourself without taxing me into poverty..........

Oh, and by the way thanks too for requiring me to send the kid who cuts my grass a 1099 form each year as a part of your healtcare reform..........That was Brilliant!!

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 10/18/10 - 04:44 pm
Don't you use an accountant

Don't you use an accountant or tax service to handle details? But cutting your own grass is healthy for you. Fresh air, sunshine, and getting to know the bugs that live in the great outdoors.

follower 10/18/10 - 05:18 pm
Gaspring, I not really

Gaspring, I not really worried whether the numbers are correct or not. Kinda doesn't matter. What does matter is whether or not the government operates in an efficient manner, and whether or not many of those vendor agreements are merely payoffs and favors. Neither the Dems or Repubs have the corner on nepotism. Both stink.

As far as "even handedness" in the Middle East, what do you suggest? Israel is not on the offense, but in constant protection mode. Do they have a right to exist? Safely? Peacefully?

If the Palestinians [are there actually such a people?] put down their weapons, there would be peace. If Israel puts down their weapons, they will be attacked. The aggressor is clear. And they are backed by every Arab nation in the area.

Israel has shown tremendous restraint. They have the right to survive.

Crabby Appleton
Crabby Appleton 10/18/10 - 05:32 pm
gaspringwater: So, you think

gaspringwater: So, you think it doesn't cost MONEY to send a 1099 to every one you buy from regularly? The IRS used to pride itself on the fact that most any American, with just a few minutes time could fill out their own tax returns. Oh, Well............

I cut my own grass till this year when I was listed on the national register for a Heart transplant. I have congestive heart failure for 9 years, and I am now home on a 24/7 IV. It's keeping me alive.

To answer your question, I don't cut my own grass, nor trim my hedges, nor wash my own car and feel blessed to be able to sit at this desk to have this discourse with you. I wish I could cut my own grass, I loved doing it.

And my taxes and medical bills are driving me into bankruptcy. Unfortunately, Obama's healthcare iniative has driven up the price substantially for 2011. Beginning January the value of the part of my health insurance subsidized by my wife's employer will be taxed for the first time EVER! Translates to another $200 plus monthly deduction from her paycheck. It's doubtful our employer subsidized health plan will even be available beyond that.

Are there any more questions?

follower 10/18/10 - 05:42 pm
Crabby, good post! Hope all

Crabby, good post! Hope all turns out well with the transplant. Stopped and said a prayer for you before sending this. Blessing!!

Gaspring is not a bad guy. We're just on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 10/18/10 - 05:55 pm
follower - You noticed I was

follower - You noticed I was on the other side of the class. You also said:

Israel is in constant expansion mode just like the early white settlers in America taking land from the Indians. They have no intentions of making peace until they're in de facto possession of all Palestine. There's nothing protective about them. They're pre emptive from the get-go.

Crabby Appleton
Crabby Appleton 10/18/10 - 07:33 pm
Follower: Thank You. And I

Follower: Thank You. And I agree with you on Israel. There's a reason the US has been fairly protective of Israel and it's because if Israel is not strong, the Palestinians would as Iran's president has often delcared "wipe them off the map". Anyone who believes Israel to be the aggressor in this conflict would really, really have to ignore all reality.

For myself, I would prefer that the US just shut the heck up and let Israel defend itself in whatever manner the situation requires. To date, all things considered Israelis have been incredibly tolerant. They have the means at their disposal to permanently dispatch an enemy who obviously intends to kill Israelis at evey opportunity into eternity. The fact that they haven't can somewhat be attributed to pressure from the US and an understanding that the US will help mitigate and mediate on their behalf.

Iran WILL, one day soon get the bomb, and they WILL as they already do with lesser weaponry, provide that technology to some small terrorist outfit willing to take the blame for using it. They'd never dare use it themselves, they're cowards but they ain't totally stupid.

corgimom
corgimom 10/18/10 - 07:46 pm
"Beginning January the value

"Beginning January the value of the part of my health insurance subsidized by my wife's employer will be taxed for the first time EVER!"

No, it won't. It'll be reported on her W-2 for the first time ever, but it won't be taxed- YET.

It's just like the amount that you pay into your 401K is reported on your pay check but not included in your taxable income.

Crabby Appleton
Crabby Appleton 10/18/10 - 08:08 pm
Corgi: I hope you're right,

Corgi: I hope you're right, but that's not the way it has been explained to me. Even if what you say is correct, you did end your post with "YET". What reason would they have to go thru this drill at all if there wasn't some ulterior motive?
I don't trust our government anymore. They're looking for every way they can to get more of your paycheck without admitting to an outright tax increase. It's a shell game.
Thanx

Chillen
Chillen 10/18/10 - 08:40 pm
Watching Darth Vader (obama)

Watching Darth Vader (obama) on the campaign trail is so comical. Gone is the shiny new toy offering hope and change.

Why darth vader you ask? Check out this video.
"the empire is stricking back". Wow, how mature. This guy is clueless.

Replaced is a desparate soul who reeks of failure. His radical socialist policies have all but ruined the democrat party who followed him lock, stock & barrel right off the cliff. They are going to pay for it big this election cycle.

He is hated by the right, the center and now part of the left. In fact on the SF Chronicle site today I read an article about obama coming to town (SF) to campaign and they gays are staging a big protest. They can't stand him.

It's all over but the cryin'. And that's a very good thing for freedom if we can keep the new republicans in check. If not, 2012 will be very, very interesting. A voting revolution will occur. Watch and see.

Nightwing
Nightwing 10/18/10 - 08:59 pm
"Trust me I am from the

"Trust me I am from the Government." so said the Politician to the Indian. See the change that got them.

So crates
So crates 10/18/10 - 09:01 pm
Kat, where do you imagine all

Kat, where do you imagine all that money the government takes away goes to? Some secret stargate to other worlds? Tax money goes back into the economy. Your argument is absurd. Your husband is getting paid, regardless. So are you.

And this argument about having no choice? The officials who were voted into office by a majority did their due diligence and created a new healthcare legislation. Fine if you don't like it, and fine if you vote in people who will undo it, but don't claim that there is some sinister conspiracy afoot. Again, your argument is absurd.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 10/18/10 - 09:07 pm
Beginning in tax year 2011,

Beginning in tax year 2011, the Affordable Care Act (PPACA) requires employers to report the value of the health insurance coverage provided to employees on each employee’s annual Form W-2. This reporting is for informational purposes only, to show employees the value of their health care benefits. The amount reported does not affect tax liability, as the value of the employer contribution to health coverage continues to be excludible from an employee’s income and it is not taxable.

Darby
Darby 10/18/10 - 10:06 pm
"This reporting is for

"This reporting is for informational purposes only, to show employees the value of their health care benefits."

Until it becomes convenient to tax it. It's called by some, a "foot in the door".

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 10/18/10 - 11:27 pm
W-2 Reporting Requirement

W-2 Reporting Requirement Deferred

TonydeMedici
TonydeMedici 10/19/10 - 09:22 am
RichmondCountyResident1's

RichmondCountyResident1's comment; This letter is hilarious as it is false. It starts out by admonishing someone about name calling, then calls him a liberal. Then goes on to give us the Reichpublican playbook about paying fifty percent of your income to taxes. I guarantee the average wealthy person in this country pays less in taxes than the average citizen.As far as healthcare, the Reichpublicans had 160 proposals considered, then voted against the bill enmasse.The part about forcing someone to by healthcare is false again. The law said it would give subsidies to those who couldn't afford healthcare.Besides, if you don't want to purchase healthcare, I shouldn't have to pay(tax money) for your healthcare bill when you need care.

Obviously this person (like Nancy Pelosi) never read the Obamacare bill. It's funny that he/she also believes that being labeled a liberal is "name-calling." Is he/she ashamed of the "liberal label." Facts are facts and the lefties just don't want to accept the fact that their policies of bigger government an a "nanny-state" are responsible for most of what ails us and our economy. I suggest reading the constitution and if you need help understanding it try listening to TalkRadio1380 AM and streaming live at http://www.wnrr1380.com You'll get a good lesson there everyday.

ruudvonbaron
ruudvonbaron 10/19/10 - 11:50 am
Alot of people like this LTE,

Alot of people like this LTE, the Tea Partiers, and those who call themselves conservatives SAY they want more rights, lower taxes, and less government but only if their entitlements like the broke ponzi schemes of Social Security and Medicare aren't touched. It is called hypocrisy.

Darby
Darby 10/19/10 - 05:37 pm
"Tea Partiers, and those who

"Tea Partiers, and those who call themselves conservatives SAY they want more rights...."

There you go again. They don't want more rights, just the ones which are guaranteed in the Constitution. Don't you want the same..??

Darby
Darby 10/19/10 - 05:40 pm
"Elvis Presley was in the 90%

"Elvis Presley was in the 90% tax bracket for years."

Maybe that's why he took to overdosing on drugs...

BobG
BobG 10/20/10 - 12:17 pm
"The Internal Revenue Service

"The Internal Revenue Service has announced that they will defer the PPACA requirement for employers to report the cost of coverage and employee W-2 forms untill 2012. It will be optional for employers to report this in 2011. The amounts reported will remain as not subject to taxation."....

And you believe this because.......?????? .....Sorry, no trust whatsoever in the bureaucracy....

Fort Gordon bus route under 30 day review

Even as an experimental bus route continues to drain money from the city coffers, Augusta Commission committee members unwilling to end service to Fort Gordon granted Augusta Public Transit 30 ...