Deal revelations taint his candidacy

It's not an overstatement to say that this is a good year to be a conservative.

The conservative message about fiscal restraint, more limited government and political accountability are breaking through the static. Some old-guard politicians may ride the conservative wave to office, but it will come with a price, as is typical in politics.

Conservatives' hands have been forced in this year's gubernatorial election. The campaign to elect Republican Nathan Deal has turned out to be less than truthful and maybe worse.

When faced with the latest public revelations concerning Deal's financial situation, the Deal campaign answers that the loans that could lead to Deal's personal financial insolvency were meant to help out Deal's family members, and that the media are blowing the issue out of proportion to the issues that really matter to Georgia voters.

That may be partly true. But it does not change the fact that Deal has failed to be up-front with voters, and has failed to live up to the expectations that voters have for our elected officials. His candidacy has been irreparably tainted, and has left many conservatives with buyer's remorse.

God willing, in a year from now, after Mr. Deal's bittersweet victory in November, and after he has served as governor for 10 months in Atlanta, conservatives will be singing a different song and will be praising the progress that the new administration has made. This year, however, Mr. Deal will win on that first Tuesday in November not only in spite of himself, but as a result of the cancerous political ideology and utter incompetence of his opponent.

"Let's make a Deal," is a stinging phrase with new meaning for Georgia voters in 2010.

Brandon D. Elijah

Augusta

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 10/04/10 - 10:46 pm
Deal is a Republican crook

Deal is a Republican crook and a bunch of people are willing to put the jailbird in the governor seat..He has used his position to fill his pockets. Deal has cut many deals for himself.

OJP
OJP 10/04/10 - 11:03 pm
Ouch

Ouch

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/04/10 - 11:10 pm
Rozzie, you see, is a close

Rozzie, you see, is a close personal friend of the Deal family and has first-person experience with Mr. Deal, having watched him fill his pockets and cut deals.

That's how s/he knows all this about this "jailbird". Maybe they met in jail.

Funny, but I didn't realize that Deal had done time. Imagine that! And served in Congress anyway. I sure didn't realize a felon actually could do that. Oh, well. Maybe he was pardoned.

impossible
impossible 10/04/10 - 11:37 pm
I'd rather have Deal as

I'd rather have Deal as Governor than have one more liberal in power. How very odd that the Thugites (lovers of the Chicago hoods currently in power in DC) object to Deal. I get it; it's because he is not a Democrat liberal bent on the destruction of America.

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/04/10 - 11:44 pm
Deal is the best choice on

Deal is the best choice on the ballot.

usafvet
usafvet 10/04/10 - 11:48 pm
Thank you impossible. Very

Thank you impossible. Very well put. I did not know it constituted criminality if you assisted your family in a family business. Sure the economy caused hardships on his family's business and they entered into bankruptcy, not Deal. Never has there been a more corrupt politician than charles walker, yet his liberal democrats kept reelecting him until his greed and criminal activity landed him where he should have been much sooner. Let's go conservatives. Less than 1 month.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/05/10 - 07:30 am
Is Deal guilty of illegal

Is Deal guilty of illegal action? A snapshot shows that he's in debt, today, but may not be in the near future. Still, the question is, did Deal break the law? If he did, why hasn't any political adversary, (Barnes is a lawyer), making sure it becomes public knowledge? Why is nothing beyond innuendo and unsupported allegation being used?
While I can envision a better candidate than Deal, he's old guard, I certainly don't think Barnes is better.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/05/10 - 07:58 am
Man, I wish I had time to

Man, I wish I had time to argue with you guys today... VOTE MONDS!!!

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/05/10 - 08:42 am
Vote Monds, elect Barnes. How

Vote Monds, elect Barnes. How smart is that?

Ga Values
Ga Values 10/05/10 - 08:44 am
18+ years ago Deal was my

18+ years ago Deal was my personal lawyer, I know from personal experience he was a crook then. I will be voting NONE OF THE ABOVE, John Monds.

Chillen
Chillen 10/05/10 - 09:10 am
Barnes will not get elected

Barnes will not get elected no matter what. No one will have 50% of the vote in November and Deal will be in a run-off against Barnes (or Monds if he gets enough votes to knock Deal off the conservative pedestal).

In the inevitable run-off Deal or Monds will beat Barnes without question.

Barnes is a victim of his party's radical transformation to socialism that the majority of American's are rejecting and their gross mismanagement of our nation.

Ga Values
Ga Values 10/05/10 - 09:27 am
Little Lamb, Deal and his

Little Lamb, Deal and his fellow Hall County Mafia members cost me $500,000.

dani
dani 10/05/10 - 10:12 am
With 5% voting Monds, his

With 5% voting Monds, his supporters is not a problem. Deal should be able to muster enough votes to defeat Barnes without their few votes. If not, then we will live with the results. And to the Monds supporters, you have fun - WAY out there.

cparker
cparker 10/05/10 - 10:23 am
Conservatives are the worst

Conservatives are the worst liars known to all of mankind. The present themselves as Christians and moral, but they are hypocrits on every front. They speak and vote against gay sex, but Steve Foley asked underaged boys for sex right in the Capitol Bldg and the relied on Dennis Hastert to keep his secret until after the election. Larry Craig tried to pay for gay sex from an undercover policeman in the Minneapolis airport and pleaded guilty for the crime, but during the election he stated he didn't know he was pleading guilty when it became public. The Ben Harbin knew he was driving drunk, but lied about the whole incident until after the election where he was overwhelmingly re-elected by our gulliable Conservative that only swear by the bible at election times. Truth is the Conservative party is a disgrace to this country and they themselves know they are willing to tow the party line even when it is clear they are the worst racist and immoral people known to mankind. There is no difference between Nathan Deal, Ben Harbin, Larry Craig, Steve Foley, nor George Bush. Regardless of how immoral they are we should all expect our faithful Conservative Christian hypocrits to want their representation. Surely if the party faithful would bow and pray to the Prophet Rush, Glenn Beck, and Sarah Palin they wouldn't mind another financially misguided fool like Nathan Deal.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/05/10 - 10:31 am
What revelations? So far,

What revelations? So far, nothing illegal. Nothing anymore serious than Barnes forgetting he owned 25% of a company that had state contracts. Yeh, I'm not crazy about Deal either but, so far, nothing illegal. We do know for sure that Barnes was a failure as governor and that he is a hard core Democrat. That is about all I need to know for this election.

burninater
burninater 10/05/10 - 10:48 am
Don't ignore cparker's

Don't ignore cparker's message outright. Think about how much stronger fiscal conservatives would be with the electorate if they kept their big mouths shut when it comes to telling you and me how we're supposed to behave.

BobG
BobG 10/05/10 - 10:54 am
"Little Lamb, Deal and his

"Little Lamb, Deal and his fellow Hall County Mafia members cost me $500,000."

Sorry, not buying it...........

Chillen
Chillen 10/05/10 - 11:03 am
burninator. Think about how

burninator. Think about how much stronger democrats would be with the electorate if they would outright reject socialism and big government spending which is ruining this country, if they would stop telling businesses how to operate and stop attacking individuals who are successful.

BobG
BobG 10/05/10 - 11:04 am
cparker - Wow, all those

cparker - Wow, all those dirty Republicans... Consider this tip of the Democratic iceberg..... Harvey Johnson, Savannah, convicted of Stealing Georgia tourism funds. Rep. Frank Redding, Decatur, convicted of felony extortion. State Sen. Ralph David Abernathy III, arrested at Hartsfield Airport with marijuana (stuffed into his underpants). That was before he was indicted and convicted on fraud charges.
Sandy Berger, Clinton's national security adviser, was fined $50,000 for taking (stuffed into his socks) then destroying classified documents from the National Archives. Congresswoman Corrine Brown accepted a $50,000 Lexus from a convicted felon she had lobbied to free from prison. Rep. Alan Mollohan resigned from the House Ethics Panel under (you guessed it) ethics charges. Rep. James Traficant, of Ohio, sentenced to eight years in prison, convicted of racketeering and accepting bribes. Rep. Jim McDermott lost his position on the House Ethics committee for violating state and federal wiretapping laws.
Congressman Mel Reynolds sent to prison for sex with a teenaged subordinate... pardoned by Bill Clinton (who had used a subordinate for sex)... then hired by a clergyman (Jesse Jackson) who had also used a subordinate for sex. Federal judge Alcee Hastings, impeached and removed from office over bribery charges. Four years later, he was elected to congress. I could list dozens more like "Love client #9, Elliot Spitzer and others, but space is limited.
Just don't forget Chappaquidick, Rep. Rostenkowski's mail fraud conviction, Rep. McKinney assaulting a Capital policeman, Rep. William Jefferson of New Orleans, Speaker Jim Wright's book fraud scheme, Former Senator Robert “The Torch” Toricelli, our own Sen. Charles Walker and so many, MANY OTHERS............

Both sides have their share of crooks. But please show me one Republican who was elected or re-elected after being convicted (or even indicted). You can't, but most of those listed above were reelected (and still respected) by Democrats...

Chillen
Chillen 10/05/10 - 11:10 am
cparker Better check your

cparker Better check your own liberal bed fellows before attacking others. When you check Webster's Dictionary for corruption it does not simply say Republicans Only. Dems are 50% or more of the equation.

Sorry to burst your rose colored bubble.

Chillen
Chillen 10/05/10 - 11:13 am
Excellent BobG!

Excellent BobG!

impossible
impossible 10/05/10 - 11:21 am
cparker. Instead of

cparker. Instead of wallowing in hate-Christians speech, consider that there are sinners in all groups. Jesus became man, suffered, died and rose from the dead to redeem ALL of mankind. He bought the the train ticket, so to speak. It's free for the accepting, but the wise accept it and stay on the train - stay on course. Better to accept, try, stumble and get back on course than to wallow in ignorant rejection of truth. Christian sinners are not evidence against Jesus and His Church but an affirmation of mankind's need for redemption and appreciation of God's loving intervention into human history.
Before calling other people, especially Christians, hypocrits, remove the log from your own eye before complaining of the splinters in the eyes of others.
Denying truth and reality do not make them go away. We live in a world of "cause and effect." Study the history of our world and of Christianity with a sincere desire to discover truth. Finding it is relatively easy, recognizing it is more difficult and accepting it is harder still, but also the most rewarding. Pride is the biggest stumbling block. Search with humility and openness. Come Holy Spirit!

impossible
impossible 10/05/10 - 11:29 am
A random thought. How many

A random thought. How many of those who spew hate speech against Christianity are football fans? To be consistent, those who are should never watch pro football, because there have been and are numerous sinners in the NFL. Moral: Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/05/10 - 11:50 am
Wowee, Compadres! How come

Wowee, Compadres! How come "cparker" wasn't already on y'alls' "ignore user" list? 'mon dudes and dudettes.

Still, Bob, I enjoyed your response. I guess it's worth having cparker's rants if they elicit responses like yours.

Chillen
Chillen 10/05/10 - 12:28 pm
cparkers knows how to clear

cparkers knows how to clear out a party. The liberal posters scattered like the wind!

burninater
burninater 10/05/10 - 01:15 pm
Chillen (11:03) -- Don't get

Chillen (11:03) -- Don't get me wrong, I'm all for attacking out of control spending. I just don't believe that you need to preach morality at me to do so.

It's kind of like tacking a capital gains tax rider to a health care overhaul bill. Doesn't belong there, leave it at the door when you clock in to work.

Chillen
Chillen 10/05/10 - 01:49 pm
burninator. You'll never

burninator. You'll never hear me preaching morality to someone else. It's not that I don't have morals....I do. I just don't care if you or someone else doesn't have them, that is not my problem or my business. I think you should be able to do what you want as long as it doesn't harm me or someone else and as long as your activity is not illegal (in a criminal sense).

Fiscal Conservatism. Fiscal Discipline. Fiscal Responsiblity. Minimal Government. Minimal taxes. Free Market. Capitalism. Anti-Global Govt. Anti-Socialism. Punish the crooks and have the minimal framework necessary to run society but leave us alone otherwise.

That's what I'm all about.

cparker
cparker 10/05/10 - 01:37 pm
BobG.... Liberals are not the

BobG.... Liberals are not the ones walking around with bibles in hand asking little boys for gay sex in the Capitol Bldg. Conservatives are the morality police turned absolute hypocrit when discussing Liberal's behavior. Kinda like you... I have always said Immorality has no race, no gender, and no address!! My problem with Christian Conservatives is they always preach morality when they know they are far from it. They should never speak morality for this country as though trying to hide that a sitting Conservative asks an underage boy for sex until after the election. No reasonable person can trust such Conservative liars. But listening to you, you'll turn a blind a eye to all Christian Conservative hypocrisy for the sake of your party. What will separate a man from the love of God.... any Southern white Christian Conservative during an election year!!

burninater
burninater 10/05/10 - 02:04 pm
Chillen (1:35). I hope I

Chillen (1:35). I hope I didn't give the impression that I felt you were preaching morals, because I don't feel that way. Don't be concerned that you come across as doing so.

Again, I agree with you on the principles of economic prudence and free markets. My point is that traditionally, those points are bundled with moral edicts by the conservative Right. The suspicious cynic in me feels that they are used to distract from the fact that much of "fiscal Conservatism" does NOT endorse free markets. There is far too much organized and deliberate backroom dealing in our country to even begin to characterize our economy as free market capitalism, and the illusion of a moral highground is designed to distract from that fact.

I sincerely believe that a large factor in the erosion of the middle class in this country is that not only are we barred from having an equal voice with our representatives, but that we are barred from being able to compete on a level playing field with an established and entrenched oligarchy. The slippery slope interpretation that the Left in America is heading to Marxism is mirrored by the slippery slope interpretation that the Right is heading to Fascism.

Both sides need to drop the moral high ground and start dealing honestly. They won't do that when money and power are on the table. This, unfortunately necessitates regulation to force open and transparent markets.

Ironic, yes. Intractable? The optimist in me doesn't think so.

BobG
BobG 10/05/10 - 02:16 pm
cparker - Nice of you to turn

cparker - Nice of you to turn my post into a personal attack on me. I've noticed that the Chronicle has taken down posts for less, but I'm not going to complain. On the subject of Christian conservatives, your post reminds me of those liberals who plant their guys with a racist sign into a Tea Party gathering and then complain that the group is a bunch of haters. Did you notice that as small as it was, the socialist group on the Mall this weekend had HUNDREDS of signs promoting socialism, communism, etc., and not one mention in the MSM?
.....Why are you so afraid of Christians anyway? As much as you want to believe it, they don't come anywhere close to controlling Republican politics. They'd like to, but it's never going to happen. If I were you, I'd worry more about the communists/socialists. After all, they are the ones Obama has reached out to since his election. The ones he admitted in his book, "Dreams From My Father" that he sought out in college. But then you probably see those guys as a welcome addition to the Democrat arsenal.
......BTW, since you consider yourself an expert on who is and is not a hypocrite, it might be nice if you learned to spell the word correctly. (Just trying to help.)
.......You seem to have a real hangup with regard to homosexuals. Am I right??? ....I know that the Democrats have a record that is as bad or worse than Republicans when it comes to corrupting the morals of young people. Seems there is more than enough blame (and shame) to go around.... But thank you SO MUCH for serving as the morality watchdog for Conservatives.

Augusta's ties to Liberia date back to 1836

Richmond County’s ties to West Africa date back to the 1830s, when plantation owner Richard Tubman wrote in his will that his slaves were to be offered freedom. More recently, Augustans have ...