Pledge to America is same old stuff

I'm a solid conservative, but I see nothing new in this Pledge to America. It obviously had no Tea Party input.

It comes from the same establishment Republicans who issued the so-called Contract with America, which they did not keep.

In terms of whom you can believe, I give only a small edge to the Republicans over the Democrats. I don't trust either party to do what's best for the country vs. what's best for them. Mike Huckabee on Fox News said it best: "The Republicans had a chance to make a 'real change.' A real change would have included term limits, but they blew it!"

I've listened to House Minority Leader John Boehner and am sickened by his rhetoric. He is one of the last people I would make speaker of the House. Two points stood out to me in this pledge:

- There is no penalty for not keeping promises.

- There's nothing new -- except in the previous contract, term limits were listed. If we fail in a business, fail a school test or make bad decisions, we pay a real price. The only price politicians pay is maybe not raising enough money to get re-elected, which seldom happens.

Again, Huckabee said it best: "Some citizens really mean well when they go to Congress, to serve 'all the people,' but it doesn't take long for them to look around and say, 'Boy, I like these digs, with all the benefits, privileges, staff people holding elevator doors, graft, and on and on.' " If a politician can't steal enough in two or three terms, he should go out like the rest of us and get a real job.

Without a new pledge from Republicans on term limits, on Nov. 2 I'll go into the voting booth, hold my nose and still vote Republican. The only reason is, at this point, the Democrats and Obama are leading us into socialism or something worse.

Nevertheless, vote Nov. 2.

BobG
BobG 10/02/10 - 11:19 pm
"in the previous contract,

"in the previous contract, term limits were listed"

Well, there...Mr. Hatcher you said it yourself. We didn't get them then and we're not going to get them now! ....We're not going to get that from either party. If you force them to promise term limits, they'll only break that promise and make liars of themselves. Accept the reality that they are human and far too weak to make that kind of "sacrifice". ...We are as guilty as they are. We don't spend enough time between elections holding their feet to the fire...If we did, the lack of term limits would not be a problem. There's enough fault to go around...

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/03/10 - 12:02 am
We don't need a pledge from

We don't need a pledge from the Republicans. We need an apology. You guys BLEW IT!

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/03/10 - 12:19 am
Most of us are as

Most of us are as disappointed with the status quo Repubs as we are with the socialist Dems. They both do damage, the Dems are just faster and more damaging in their efforts.
The TEA party movement is in its infancy. If you consider all that's been accomplished this year, I'd say things are moving about as fast as can be expected.
Post November we'll see if the newly elected conservatives remember why they've been sent to D.C.. If not, it'll be time to change again.
Boehner needs to go and Huckabee does more good where he is than when he was in office.
It's time for conservatives to spend a few decades straightening out the mess the moderates have made of our federal government.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 10/03/10 - 05:20 am
ALL politicians are

ALL politicians are liars.They swear that they will do what is good for the U S then line their pockets.

So crates
So crates 10/03/10 - 07:22 am
Don't worry, Mr. Hatcher, the

Don't worry, Mr. Hatcher, the Tea Party is the same old stuff, too, but in a fancy new wrapper. So if you think of it like that, they still pulled the wool over you.

dani
dani 10/03/10 - 08:29 am
off subject but but does

off subject but but does anyone know the dollar amount the NAACP/Union rally raised yesterday. Ed whosit was determined to outdraw and out-raise Glenn Beck (who raised millions of dollars) so I want to know how old Ed made out. Maybe a large amount to go toward cancer, that would be timely.

I won't comment on Mr Hatcher's letter. He is much smarter than I
and I have to agree with him.
We can only hope that a good candidate will be selected during the Republican primary.

americafirst
americafirst 10/03/10 - 08:49 am
Term limits will never even

Term limits will never even come up for a vote because no elected congressman wants term limits. It was part of the "Contract with America" in 1994 and after the American people gave a majority to the Republicans, they just blew off that part of the "contract." They never even brought it up for a vote. Its no mystery why. Neither party wants it.

BobG
BobG 10/03/10 - 11:22 am
Taylor B - Nice to see you

Taylor B - Nice to see you back. And as feisty as ever. "We need an apology. You guys BLEW IT!"
......And given the chance, the Tea Party will blow it (I support them wholeheartedly by the way...), the Libertarians will blow it, the Greens will blow it.... Fact is, the voters will never be satisfied and that's a good thing. It's a good thing because once attaining power there is not a politician on earth who will not, over time, become corrupted by the system and begin to look for security in a job that was never intended to become a career.... No matter who you support, that means your guy (or gal) too.
.....That's why Wendell Philips said, "eternal vigilance is the price of liberty".
.....Or, in the words of Thomas Paine, "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
.....We don't though, do we??? We (most of us) wait until a campaign heats up and jump in with both feet, thinking we can make a difference. Are we then no better than the politicians we denigrate?

Chillen
Chillen 10/03/10 - 12:01 pm
The republican party is

The republican party is leaderless. They are split by the wants & strength of the tea party movement, the social republicans and the progressive republicans. We are about 2 years ahead of the split the dems will be facing soon after their butt kicking in November.

Keep this in mind. This Pledge to America is better than adjourning 2 weeks early without passing the income tax bill, without adjusting the alternative miniumum tax and without passing a budget. The dems are total failures. At least the republicans try.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 10/03/10 - 02:01 pm
Ol' Newt Gingrich concocted

Ol' Newt Gingrich concocted the last Pledge and the house ethics committee leveled a corruption fine on him. Seems I've read he's the only politician in the history of the US House of Representatives that's been fined. He's the epitome of political crooks!

I favor term limits for politicians, federal judges and military people too. But I don't know how that'll work in the south. We’re not as populated as other states in the nation and it'll be hard to keep coming up with world class crooks like Gingrich. We're at a distinct disadvantage when competing with places like Illinois, Chicago, and New York. Those places can attack the cream of the crop like Hillary Clinton.

dani
dani 10/03/10 - 04:29 pm
We can look forward to en

We can look forward to en excellent roster of candidates, such as:

Bobby Jindal, Tim Pawlenty, John Thune and Paul Ryan. New blood ..

BobG
BobG 10/03/10 - 05:20 pm
"Seems I've read he's the

"Seems I've read he's the only politician in the history of the US House of Representatives that's been fined." Wrong again Springwater, you probably couldn't count the number of members of Congress who have been fined. (Not if you got your education in a government school.) However, in the interest of full disclosure, Newt is the only sitting Speaker of the House to be fined. (As a matter-of-fact, several congressmen and senators have been fined for the exact same offense.) Not that most of the Speakers who preceded and those who followed him aren't deserving of the same honor.... You might want to check your facts prior to pontificating.... But I know you won't....it's just too much trouble.

c.james
c.james 10/03/10 - 05:16 pm
Remember; the worst

Remember; the worst Republican idea is still better then the best Democrat plan. If Obama had an original idea it would die of loneliness.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 10/03/10 - 05:30 pm
BobG - Thanks and you're

BobG - Thanks and you're probably correct when you said Gingrich was the only acting speaker of the House that's got fined. Did you read that somewhere or do you have a link to substantiate your gifted rhetoric.

In January 1997, the House reprimanded Gingrich because of the financing related to a college course the then-speaker taught in the 1990s. It also fined Gingrich $300,000 for misleading investigators.

dani
dani 10/03/10 - 05:42 pm
dani
dani 10/03/10 - 05:44 pm
I hope Liberals keeps voicing

I hope Liberals keeps voicing their opinions on old Newt. That might help us get rid of him.
Keep it up gasp..we need you

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 10/03/10 - 06:03 pm
dani - God forbid the

dani - God forbid the Republicans getting rid of ol' Newt. That'll be a mortal blow to liberals. “Little Newtie” is a gold mine, or rather a golden albatross. Don't you think?

dani
dani 10/03/10 - 06:35 pm
gasp..You can have him.

gasp..You can have him.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/03/10 - 07:08 pm
The fools that think long

The fools that think long term problems can be solved in the blink of an eye will continue to be easily tricked.

Government schools have produced way too many fools in the last generation.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/03/10 - 07:09 pm
The fools that think long

Government schools have produced way too many fools in the last generation.

BobG
BobG 10/03/10 - 08:14 pm
"you're probably correct when

"you're probably correct when you said Gingrich was the only acting speaker of the House that's got fined."
.....Yes, Gasp - I did find the link by using the Bing search engine. If it's that important to you, I'll try to find it again, but I'd rather not re plow that field. Common sense should tell you that other, many other, politicians have been fined, censored and/or reprimanded. (Off the top of my head I'm thinking Alcee Hastings, Adam Clayton Powell, Dan Rostenkowski.... ad infinitum....
....Did I say "acting" Speaker? I thought I said he was the only "sitting" Speaker. I may be wrong but I don't think the Newtster was ever an acting Speaker.

chascush
chascush 10/03/10 - 08:47 pm
‘Rally 10-2-10’ Thanks for

‘Rally 10-2-10’
Thanks for showing folks the video. The 10/2 crowd let the grounds covered with trash although not as bad as at Hussein’s inauguration. After the 8/28 rally the grounds were left very clean. But as I have said before the 8/28 rally was a WHOLE DIFFERENT CLASS OF PEOPLE. Trashy people vote trashy people into office.

dani
dani 10/03/10 - 09:06 pm
chascush. I am still waiting

chascush. I am still waiting to see how much money Ed raised for charity.
He said he would outdo Beck. I am waiting.

chascush
chascush 10/03/10 - 09:57 pm
dani, ‘chascush. I am still

dani, ‘chascush. I am still waiting to see how much money Ed raised for charity.’
Ole Ed can’t out do Beck on anything. Ole Ed is a complete idiot and so are the few people that watch him.

CATFISHSTEW