Would voters elect a debtor governor?

The revelation that the Republican candidate for governor of Georgia is mired in debt -- $5 million-plus at latest count -- is sad for both Nathan Deal and the Republican Party. It also is sad for Karen Handel, his opponent in the primary, that the Republican Party and Deal kept his debt secret from the Republican voters. Given a second chance with this information, Handel no doubt would be the winner.

Most everyone has sympathy for a father who tries to help his daughter. However, can anyone have sympathy for years of miscalculations and the secrecy that Deal wrapped himself around to keep getting elected? He says he will make a great governor in a time of economic distress? If an elected official can't manage his own financial situation, how will he manage the state of Georgia? When the voters choose a candidate for governor, would they choose a debtor?

The Republicans and the Tea Party folks holler for transparency in government and public servants. Where was the transparency in Deal's deals with the state and his auto salvage business?

Roy Barnes has disclosed all of his tax records while Deal keeps most of it secret. Who is more transparent, Barnes or Deal? The answer is obvious.

The Augusta Chronicle ("Debts and dereliction," Sept. 18) hopes that another shoe doesn't drop. The other shoe will drop when the voters go to the polls. Secrecy is a short-time fix, and it is the Republicans themselves who were hoodwinked into making Deal their candidate -- a bad one at that for Georgia. We don't need his debts. The state has its own economic problems.

Lowell Greenbaum

Augusta

(The writer is chairman of the Richmond County Democratic Party.)

usafvet
usafvet 09/22/10 - 09:27 pm
Nor do we need another

Nor do we need another dumbobama clone.

Insider Information
Insider Information 09/22/10 - 09:29 pm
Not usually. But desperate

Not usually.
But desperate times call for desperate measures.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/22/10 - 09:58 pm
Lowell can't contain himself.

Lowell can't contain himself. But we only have ourselves to blame, along with OUR papers, when news important to elections and our candidates is withheld.

Insider Information
Insider Information 09/22/10 - 10:56 pm
Lowell, If the secretary of

Lowell,
If the secretary of the treasurey, can "accidentally" not pay taxes and
if the chairman of the House ways and means committee can "forget" to claim property on his taxes,
then isn't a gubernatorial candidate allowed to make a mistake too?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 09/23/10 - 02:57 am
Yeah Lowell, you've got a

Yeah Lowell, you've got a reputation for honesty and clarity.
I'll bet this LTE has some kind of meaning.

carcraft
carcraft 09/23/10 - 04:25 am
Talk about hood winked-the

Talk about hood winked-the folks that thought Obama was the "ONE" sure were hood winked by the likes of the mainstream media, the Democratic party and party leaders. Obama was the product of corrupt Chicago Politics taught his craft by Blagojivich, Rezko and the like..talk about hood winked Mr Greenbaum...

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/23/10 - 04:33 am
Lowell is right about

Lowell is right about Deal.

Brad

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 09/23/10 - 04:53 am
Why even bother to vote for

Why even bother to vote for governor? We don't have a decent candidate to vote for! Barnes is a has-been that couldn't get it right the first time and Deal can't be honest and forthright, so we're doomed. Of coarse Lowell isn't any better with his gloating.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 09/23/10 - 05:18 am
When the alternative is Roy

When the alternative is Roy Barnes, yes.

Dixieman
Dixieman 09/23/10 - 05:20 am
Deal's got my vote.

Deal's got my vote. Infinitely better than Barnes.

Techfan
Techfan 09/23/10 - 05:25 am
I vote the AC change the LTE

I vote the AC change the LTE policy so the same person can only write every 6 months instead of every 30 days. That way we can avoid the serial letter writers.

KSL
KSL 09/23/10 - 06:00 am
Now that is something I can

Now that is something I can agree with you on, TF.

dani
dani 09/23/10 - 06:09 am
Mr Greenblatt. Not much can

Mr Greenblatt. Not much can be said about Barnes either, huh.
I noticed your letter is typically Democrat, smear the opponent if you can't say something good about your candidate.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/23/10 - 06:32 am
Republicans do not have to

Republicans do not have to defend Deal. Ole' Roy Barnes is an Obama Democrat and a PROVEN failure as governor. Those two things are reason enough to give Deal a shot at it. We can put him out in four years if he don't act right. Yes, I wish the nomination had gone to Handel but it didn't. But that does not make me want to put Ole' Roy back in there so he can give my money to the teacher's union.

Techfan
Techfan 09/23/10 - 06:34 am
ksl: In an area this size,

ksl: In an area this size, they HAVE to get enough LTE to not run ones by the same people over and over. Heck, I'm a Dem and think Lowell is out there, but they come from both sides, plus the monthly or bimonthly anti vaccine diatribe.

Techfan
Techfan 09/23/10 - 06:39 am
dich: I wouldn't say Roy was

dich: I wouldn't say Roy was a failure. The state was in much better shape under him. He only lost because he ticked off the teachers and the flaggots. Sonny has done neither of those groups any favors.

dani
dani 09/23/10 - 07:35 am
techfan..The times they were

techfan..The times they were a bit different back then. It's not so hard to look good when the economy is booming.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 09/23/10 - 07:37 am
i agree if you cant take care

i agree if you cant take care of your personel fiances dont ask me to take care of mine..but thats where it ends..where is greenbaum letter about rangel geiter jefferson and all those in the white house ..last count is 40 or so who owed back taxes to the govt ..where is the outrage about them ..they are not worthy to be in office because they cheat us all who play by the rules...republicans usually vote out our problems ..cant say the same for the dims..so this election is a problem ..as far a i know deal hasnt cheated us all ..its not a tax issue..we dont need any more obama dims in office..sad state of affairs..

Chillen
Chillen 09/23/10 - 08:06 am
Barnes may have ticked off

Barnes may have ticked off the Georgia teachers "union" during his reign but he sure is butt kissing now.

I've got a few new slogans for Barnes. "Barnes. Been there, done that". Or "Barnes. Panderer to the teachers". Or. "Barnes. I'm not obama's friend!" Or. "Barnes. I'll tell you I've changed my political positions to get re-elected." Or. "Barnes. No Lover of Augusta".

Even if Barnes is elected, 34 out of 56 GA Senate seats are Republican. He won't be able to get much done.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/23/10 - 08:12 am
Chillen wrote: Even if Barnes

Chillen wrote:

Barnes is not interested in getting things done. He just wants to get the bitter taste of his last defeat out of his mouth. Barnes is a multi-millionaire dilettante who will essentially retire in office. He is in this race for legacy only.

GAterp
GAterp 09/23/10 - 08:14 am
Everyone is in debt to some

Everyone is in debt to some degree, except Deal made some really bad decisions that put him in way over his head. I love my children; but if they came to me with a money issue that was worth more than 5% of my estate, then I would tell them that they were on their own. But don't let this bother you. Vote for Deal, he's probably a good Deal and then he can sell his home, bail out the family and move into the governor's mansion. Think of it as Habitat for Humanity for the Rich. And I hope those 80,000 people in Delaware vote in that witch too. God knows every good witch, like Samantha Stevens, needs a home. I may even do a casting call to play Darren Stevens because I can see that coming back on TV. Probably on the Fox Network!

GAterp
GAterp 09/23/10 - 08:15 am
Little Lamb, who's getting

Little Lamb, who's getting anything done today? How's that fleece? Not white as snow, I'll bet.

GAterp
GAterp 09/23/10 - 08:16 am
And tell Mary, I said "Hey!"

And tell Mary, I said "Hey!"

usafvet
usafvet 09/23/10 - 08:22 am
I may have had some doubts

I may have had some doubts about lowell's assessment, but with and endorsement from brad, there is no doubt. A bunch of dumbobama "leg hangers". So far as loss of money, many, many people have lost money since the liberals took charge of congress. More so when they ceded their powers to the "socialist in charge".

usafvet
usafvet 09/23/10 - 08:26 am
Duplicate

Duplicate

Lorraine
Lorraine 09/23/10 - 08:42 am
It is so amazing how some

It is so amazing how some conservatives choose to dismiss Deal's unethical behavior which does not mirror their so called moral values, but at the same time these conservatives resounding cries can be heard from the mountain top "Let's take our country back!" A clear lopsided message is being delivered at the mountain top.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/23/10 - 09:12 am
Roy Barnes is a huge

Roy Barnes is a huge supporter of former Senator (now federal prisoner) Charles Walker.

I would bet that Roy considers Charles a 'political prisoner' of sorts.

I cannot vote for a man that supports fraud, waste, graft, greed, deception, and abuse of power.

Roy needs to answer for his relationship with Charles,

Brad

P.S. Vote Libertarian.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/23/10 - 09:16 am
usavet, Lowell is RIGHT about

usavet,

Lowell is RIGHT about Deal.

Stand with the crook (Deal) if you like, just like Roy stands with Walker.

It is you Sir, who is acting like a party hack, not me.

Brad

chasboy
chasboy 09/23/10 - 09:42 am
You have to ask yourself what

You have to ask yourself what do you expect out of your Governor. Do you expect him to fix your broken life or do you expect him/her to do their job to the best of their ability?
Then make your choice . If it's number one you're expecting you're living in fantasyland.

GAterp
GAterp 09/23/10 - 09:45 am
Chas, if Sonny is your frame

Chas, if Sonny is your frame of reference then perhaps we should consider have a BBQ fund raising event for Deal.

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...