Make government honest, affordable

The estimated $2.8 billion to be spent on this year's campaigning is counterproductive, as deception and corruption is the way of life in our governance, especially in the White House and Congress.

In the past campaign, U.S. citizens were promised fair and efficient government, when then-candidate Barack Obama vowed to "make Washington bipartisan, transparent and accountable to the people."

That has not happened. The country is headed toward moral and financial bankruptcy, and more corruption.

The deficit -- when allocated to the 309 million men, women and children in our country -- is about $44,000 a person. The Gross Domestic Product is at a standstill, as is employment, which is the mainstay of our economy.

Unemployment is not decreasing. Although the official calculation is at 9 percent, when underemployment and part-time employment is considered, the more factual unemployment is close to 18 percent.

Politics, not national needs, still rule, and nothing will change in Washington unless we force the politicians to do so.

As a start, we should force the White House and Congress to change the campaign and election process; enact term limitations for Congress; and enact a realistic balanced budget amendment -- all three at no cost to the taxpayers.

Election changes should shorten costly and deceptive campaigning, and with the help of the news media the real issues can be made known and understood. Limits of two terms of six years each for Congress will provide them with time for needed and timely legislation for the people, and a balanced budget amendment will eventually force politicians into financial sanity.

As taxpayers, voters and citizens, we can, with the help of the news media, change to affordability and honesty in governance. And may God bless America in such an endeavor.

apex24
apex24 09/05/10 - 10:01 pm
Retired, how about Robert

Retired, how about Robert Byrd (RIP) who didn't make a in-person vote for the last two years he was in office.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/05/10 - 10:55 pm
What? KY's problem? The

What? KY's problem? The racist moron was affecting the entire country.....not just KY!

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/05/10 - 11:28 pm
So, if the Republicans (Newt)

So, if the Republicans (Newt) made that promise back then, when they take over in November we will insist that they make good on their promise. Maybe we can make it a part of the next election campaign on both sides.
Term limits should have always been ineffect. Now is the hour.
btw..you guy left off Teddy (RIP)

So crates
So crates 09/05/10 - 11:21 pm
I would also like a pony.

I would also like a pony.

americafirst
americafirst 09/05/10 - 11:35 pm
After the Republicans won

After the Republicans won Congress in 1994, Newt's explanation for not following through on the promise of term limits was that now that the Republicans were in power, the people don't want term limits. He was so wrong and so arrogant and we have been paying for it ever since (See Pelosi, Reid, Dodd, Frank, etc.).

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/05/10 - 11:36 pm
Americafirst...........can

Americafirst...........can you back that last post up with facts that we can verify? I doubt it.

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/06/10 - 12:14 am
God will intervene when the

God will intervene when the time is right. We don't make the decision, He does.

america first (?is that right)...I reckon Newt was wrong. Few people are right all the time.

americafirst
americafirst 09/06/10 - 12:44 am
Sorry, Tigger you will have

Sorry, Tigger you will have to trust my memory cause I will never forget what happened and what Newt said. Try Google if u must.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 09/06/10 - 01:18 am
Very good letter, both

Very good letter, both parties and all Washington politicians have failed us in this area along with fisical responsibility, personal acountability, and securing our borders. We must demand more from our political leaders when they are running for office and immediately upon entering office.

casimir56
casimir56 09/06/10 - 02:01 am
For Tigger and Retired Army,

For Tigger and Retired Army, for your education and knowledge, Robert C. Byrd was the senator from West Virginia, NOT Kentucky!!

Techfan
Techfan 09/06/10 - 02:03 am
Am I missing a post? What's

Am I missing a post? What's this about KY? If you're talking about Byrd, he was from West Virginia. Nurse to patient, " How was your breakfast"? Patient, "Pretty good, but that Kentucky Jelly was awful".

Techfan
Techfan 09/06/10 - 02:13 am
casimir: I guess you were

casimir: I guess you were posting while I was typing. Slow dial up. Good call.

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/06/10 - 05:51 am
Funny, in all this talk about

Funny, in all this talk about making government affordable, not a mention of passing the Balanced Budget Amendment. Congress has the same problem, which is why the subject isn't even brought up for discussion anymore. This, along with term limits, will NEVER be passed by congress, no matter which party is in power because politicians don't like laws that limit how long they can stay in power or how they can spend our money. Great ideas that will never happen. Sorry, sad but true.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 09/06/10 - 06:01 am
sen byrd was from west

sen byrd was from west virginia but his actions affected ky, Ga, and every other state. He was a United States senator.
The points made by the LTE are with merit, but the tough decisions to change and limit congress have to be made by the very people having to give up power. How likely is that?

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/06/10 - 06:08 am
Tried googling,

Tried googling, americafirst....came up with nothing......looks like the burden of truth is on YOU. You made a libelous statement, you can't back it up, and you got caught.

And by the way...........people know instantly that you are full of it, when you want US to do the work for you (ie google it yourself). If you really knew what you were talking about you would GLADLY shut me up with facts.

slippery 25
slippery 25 09/06/10 - 06:35 am
Dante, Very Good Post. Robert

Dante, Very Good Post. Robert Byrd in his last days was impossible to understand but he was able to vote on bills that has put the nation in terrible debt. I am sure he did not read or understand the 2000 pages.

Techfan
Techfan 09/06/10 - 07:09 am
"you would GLADLY shut me up

"you would GLADLY shut me up with facts' That's never worked before, but in this case, term limits were brought to a vote. It, however, requires a Constitutional Amendment to change term limits, and a 2/3 majority vote. 52% voted in favor, well short of the 67% required.

getalife
getalife 09/06/10 - 07:13 am
Hopefully we can get the

Hopefully we can get the change Obama talked about this November and in November 2012. Both parties have let us the American people down.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/06/10 - 07:19 am
You are right tech...never

You are right tech...never had anyone give me those facts.

Techfan
Techfan 09/06/10 - 07:40 am
You have been given facts on

You have been given facts on a number of occasions, but chose to ignore them. Many during the healthcare debate. In this case, the best I can tell, af is wrong.

americafirst
americafirst 09/06/10 - 07:43 am
Tigger, whatever....

Tigger, whatever....

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/06/10 - 07:44 am
No...I was given opinions

No...I was given opinions that were stated as if they were true....never backed up.

Techfan
Techfan 09/06/10 - 07:56 am
Correct me if I'm wrong (and

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will), but I recall comments you made about "death panels" and that it would be illegal to buy private insurance if the healthcare bill passed. You were provided numerous links that proved that was wrong. I may have you confused with someone else, but I'm pretty sure it was with you with whom i was debating.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/06/10 - 08:04 am
The death panel part was/is

The death panel part was/is 100% true. I provided you a link to the actual text of the bill.....was the actual text of the bill proven to be wrong? As for private insurance being illegal...that was in the original draft and had to be removed to pass............. Keep trying. You are right about one thing....I corrected you for being wrong.

Techfan
Techfan 09/06/10 - 08:13 am
You provided your

You provided your interpretation of the bill, or more likely, some right wing websites distortions of the bill. The links I provided were independent, nonpartisan, legal interpretations of the language. As far as making private health care illegal, the language didn't have to be changed because it was never in there. You can argue against the bill all you want, just use the truth.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/06/10 - 08:17 am
Techfan...I gave the exact

Techfan...I gave the exact text. Sorry you don't remember.

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/06/10 - 09:06 am
nver mind...Coffee please

nver mind...Coffee please

Techfan
Techfan 09/06/10 - 08:25 am
The "death panels" merely

The "death panels" merely allowed doctors to be reimbursed by Medicare for end of life counseling to patients. It had nothing to do with requiring someone to "pull the plug". End of life is something we will all have to face, it is wise to have your wishes spelled out for your loved ones.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/06/10 - 08:27 am
Tech....it required end of

Tech....it required end of life counseling in lieu of medical care if the panel deiced it was time. Go back and read the bill.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/06/10 - 08:28 am
I don't know why I

I don't know why I bother.....I pointed all this out before, along with direct quotes from the proposed bill......you ignored it then, and you continue to ignore it.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs