Vote for Deal comes with reservations

Yes, it's nice that Georgia gubernatorial candidate Karen Handel conceded, but it's too bad that more than half of conservatives in Georgia voted for someone with an ethical problem. I was hoping we could get rid of the unethical pols.

I will vote for Nathan Deal, but -- just like with John McCain -- I'll have to hold my nose.

Tim Sneed

Evans

dani
dani 08/19/10 - 10:41 pm
I feel your pain, Tim.

I feel your pain, Tim.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 08/19/10 - 11:25 pm
Mr. Sneed, you don't have to

Mr. Sneed, you don't have to hold your nose, vote for Barnes. Georgia will move forward with Barnes as governor. I have checked Deal's record in Congress---he didn't introduce any legislation. He was too busy making deals for his businesses. He has the right name, I am waiting for him to relaease his tax returns. I use to be a Republican, but I found out that the Republicans are hypocrites. Talk a good game to get in office and do nothing when elected.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 08/20/10 - 12:18 am
Why limit your choice to Deal

Why limit your choice to Deal or Barnes? To anyone willing to think outside the box, there's another choice: John Monds.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/20/10 - 06:38 am
Me too. I'm a libertarian,

Me too.
I'm a libertarian, but it is TOO IMPORTANT to keep Barnes out of office, and only Deal has a realistic chance of beating him,

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/20/10 - 07:14 am
Dixie, I don't think you are

Dixie, I don't think you are using the word "libertarian" coreectly, Lol

truthnlove
truthnlove 08/20/10 - 07:31 am
I refuse to hold my nose and

I refuse to hold my nose and vote against my conscience, buying into this vote Deal or it won't count mentality. Monds is the best choice, imo; and if enough people choose to send a loud and clear message against corruption and the unethical, we'll be taking a step in the right direction. Let's "deal" them a hand they ain't expecting.

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/20/10 - 07:44 am
This letter goes to show that

This letter goes to show that Dems fall in love, and Repubs fall in line...

dashiel
dashiel 08/20/10 - 08:18 am
How are all those Mamma

How are all those Mamma Grizzlies workin for ya, eh?

Chillen
Chillen 08/20/10 - 08:54 am
I would love to see some

I would love to see some polls to see how the 3 way race is coming along. John Monds is going to have to really bust it to break free from the stranglehold of the 2 party system.

Inquiring Lynn
Inquiring Lynn 08/20/10 - 09:50 am
I'd rather get progress from

I'd rather get progress from Roy Barnes than the reactionary platitudes of Nathan the Raw Deal!

Inquiring Lynn
Inquiring Lynn 08/20/10 - 10:50 am
Roy and Barack- great for

Roy and Barack- great for Georgia!
We've a democratic republic. Let's keep it!
A politician who prattles about you keeping your money really means, boy, we're really wanting to up the ante for the fat cats!
The least government is the one that doesn'tt follow the theocons and other reactionaries social policies and provides essential guidelines for business.
I'm from the givernmeant, and I'll help you as long as Republicannots aren't in power!

Inquiring Lynn
Inquiring Lynn 08/20/10 - 10:50 am
Roy and Barack- great for

Roy and Barack- great for Georgia!
We've a democratic republic. Let's keep it!
The least government is the one that doesn'tt follow the theocons and other reactionaries' social policies and provides essential guidelines for business.

Darby
Darby 08/20/10 - 11:40 am
The voting records are open

The voting records are open to the public. Check them to see that the letter writer voted in the Dem primary. While you are at it, do a little research and you'll find that statewide, Dems have elected or reelected (over the years) scores, if not hundreds of their candidates who have been indicted or even convicted ( For example Sen. Charles Walker, State Sen. Diana Harvey Johnson, Savannah, convicted of Stealing Georgia tourism funds. Rep. Frank Redding, Decatur, convicted of felony extortion. State Sen. Ralph David Abernathy III, arrested at Hartsfield Airport with marijuana stuffed into his underpants. Added to that, he was later indicted and convicted on fraud charges.) Deal has only been accused, he hasn't even been indicted. If he is, Republicans won't vote for him.

Darby
Darby 08/20/10 - 11:46 am
Vote for Monds? If you want

Vote for Monds? If you want to have the exact same effect on the election just write in the name of your favorite comic book hero>

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/20/10 - 11:41 am
Tim, I encourage you to join

Tim, I encourage you to join me and vote for the Libertarian candidate in this gubernatorial election. Neither King Roy nor Raw Deal are worthy to be governor. John Monds is worthy.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/20/10 - 11:45 am
Hey, Dixieman. You can vote

Hey, Dixieman. You can vote for Monds in November and help him prevent either Barnes or Deal from gaining 50%. That will force a run-off election. It happened back in the 90s in a senatorial race. I think Coverdell won the run-off.

Darby
Darby 08/20/10 - 11:57 am
Some of us are waiting for so

Some of us are waiting for so called Libertarians to come up with a candidate with even a remote chance of winning. Instead, they seem content to "stir the pudding" in every election, hoping to force a runoff for some unknown purpose. (It makes them feel relevant?) Do you have any idea what it costs taxpayers to set up the elections machinery? Every precinct in every county in Georgia. You are talking million$. But what the heck, it's not like the state doesn't have money to throw away. Go for it Libertarians!!!

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/20/10 - 12:04 pm
everybody and their momma are

everybody and their momma are saying a vote for Monds is a wasted vote. well, I don't believe half the things she says. grow up Darby, we're voting our convictions. voting for "the lesser of two evils" is obviously not working. (2000-2008, anybody)?

Darby
Darby 08/20/10 - 12:29 pm
So, Omnomnom, what you want

So, Omnomnom, what you want us to take from your last post is that you don't trust your momma. Now I'm beginning to understand. Of course you should waste your vote on Monds. Like I said, "go for it". Let's drag the process out as long as possible and spend the Georgia taxpayer into oblivion. You'll forgive me if I also choose to vote my convictions (catch all phrase) and not even consider a loser like Monds.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 08/20/10 - 12:54 pm
After reading the above

After reading the above headline I am all set to vote for Deal. I mean who wants to turn down a reservation? I hope it's at a good restaurant.

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/20/10 - 03:00 pm
Hey Darby, the libertarians

Hey Darby, the libertarians don't waste money on primaries, like the other two. I think Darby has a phobia of us...

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/20/10 - 03:15 pm
Little Lamb, as far as

Little Lamb, as far as forcing a runoff, I ran for senate 22 as a Libertarian in January, forcing a runoff and grabbing near ten percent in a four candidate race. Hardie Davis won the runoff.

Darby
Darby 08/20/10 - 04:37 pm
Taylor B - Libertarians would

Taylor B - Libertarians would have primaries if they could only find more than one egocentric at a time to run for office. Most candidates run because they think they have a chance to win. Libertarians run because they need the attention. BTW - Who but an egocentric could possibly be proud of garnering a little more than nine percent in any election. Case closed...

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 08/20/10 - 04:44 pm
Darby ... you're being a

Darby ... you're being a little harsh on the Libertarians. If I have my elections straight I actually voted for Taylor B, but what I though was interesting was the with so few voting in that election the Libertarians party only spend $500 (I think) to help him win ... if he could have gotten the voters out he could have actually won ... but that takes money. With a party like that you would be better off running as an independant.

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/20/10 - 05:27 pm
Thank you for your vote. Ron,

Thank you for your vote. Ron, we are a very low budget party, and we knew we were going to have a full slate for November. My opponents got no money from their parties. I could have asked for more money, but I declined. My opponents raised 150,000 bucks to run for a seat that pays $17k a year, which doesn't make much sense to me.

Darby, I'd like to mention the Republicans did not even field a candidate. I'm proud that we were able to get the issues out and get Augusta more informed about our state platform.

Egocentric? Yes, because the Repubs and Dems that are plowing this country into the ground seem so humble. Why don't you debate on fact instead of calling names? Better yet, run for office yourself, you seem to think you know everything. Its much different when your "downrange" in a campaign, and not sniping at people on a comment board.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 08/20/10 - 05:51 pm
Talyor B ... just my opinion

Talyor B ... just my opinion but your party will never become a national force until you start picking your fights and start winning ... 1st on the local and state level and then nationally.

In your particular race it became a clear cut decision between and the other guy, however everone knew his name ... very few people knew your name or what you stood for ... so he got the votes. If I remember right the difference between the 9% you got and winning wasn't much when compared to the total number of voters in the district. It's amazing to me that you got 9% of the votes given the fact he out spent you almost 100 to 1. Your party missed an oppertunity to get one victory and then spread themselves too thin to do any good in the next election. But then again that's just my opinion.

Darby
Darby 08/21/10 - 12:36 am
It's late at night and so I

It's late at night and so I doubt anyone will read this post. Just in case you do Taylor B, you should know that the decision not to field a candidate in that race was a valid one. (I helped to make that decision.) Why spend hard earned dollars in a district gerrymandered to elect a democrat? (In a two way race in that district, an unnamed three legged dog would garner fifty-five percent of the vote against anyone who is not a Democrat.) I don't just snipe at people like you. I work to recruit candidates and help to get them elected. Sometimes I fail. (Libertarians always fail). You have more in common with the GOP than with the Dems. Why not get involved with us and try to change our Party from within? The Party isn't a perfect fit for any of us. I once told Charlie Norwood, that I wasn't happy with some of his votes, but since I wasn't there and he was, then I'd enthusiastically support him. Supporting the Party while working to change it is our only chance to defeat the "progressives" and give our kids and grandchildren the opportunity for a better life.

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/21/10 - 07:38 pm
Darby, what makes you think

Darby, what makes you think that I would join the republicans? :-)

What makes you think there aren't any LP's in your party? :-)

Darby
Darby 08/23/10 - 11:33 am
Taylor B - Thought I made

Taylor B - Thought I made that clear in my post. Because we have a lot in common and because I was a frustrated Libertarian who "saw the light". (However, as a kid I was raised in a family of hardcore, yellow dog Democrats.) Most Republicans would admit to sharing many Libertarian values but accept that it is just not going to happen for this country. Rather than continue to play Don Quixote they choose the path that they believe will preserve the greatness of this country and the Constitution for our progeny. FYI, the Republican Party is home to many former and latent Libertarians, working everyday to improve it.