No drinking on bus, despite heat wave

On Aug. 12, I made the fateful decision to ride Augusta's bus system. Little did I know that it would be hazardous to my health.

After waiting in 103-degree-heat-index weather, the bus arrived at the uncovered bus stop. Upon boarding the bus, I took my seat and began to drink from a water bottle to quench my heat-induced thirst. As I hydrated to recover from the stultifying heat, I was told by the bus driver that I was not allowed to drink water on the bus.

I explained to her that there was a heat advisory and a heat index of 103. This use of reason was swiftly rejected by the driver, and she reiterated to me that drinking water on the bus was against the rules.

I sheepishly put the lid on my life-sustaining bottle of water, and began to wonder if a commonsense exception to the rule might be in order for days when temperatures near 100 degrees.

Anthony Esposito

Augusta

GGpap
GGpap 08/20/10 - 02:33 am
Anthony, obviously, the

Anthony, obviously, the lesson here is for you to forego the privilege of riding public transportation on exeedingly hot days. Sheeeeeesh!

I can see this fella hauling along a portable space heater for riding on the bus in Montana during a minus 40 degrees "cool" spell.

GGpap

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 08/20/10 - 06:37 am
Anthony, drink before the bus

Anthony, drink before the bus arrives and after you get off. You'll not be sitting long enough to dehydrate. If you'll take the time to think, you'll understand the bus rules.

alumna
alumna 08/20/10 - 07:27 am
Interesting the comments on

Interesting the comments on this letter by those who generally support the Left. Their support is always for the betterment of government, its agents and accessories instead of the needs of the people (and those who financially support the machine of government). Anthony, you're a grown man. Drink water when you need to. We don't need the government or its agents telling us when we can fulfill our bodily needs, especially if you are of the minority who actually pays taxes to help this tax-funded benefit to remain in place.

sojumaster
sojumaster 08/20/10 - 07:37 am
@johnston.cliff I am on a

@johnston.cliff I am on a loss on this one, maybe you can explain to us mere simpletons why this rule is in place so we can understand this rule.

dashiel
dashiel 08/20/10 - 08:09 am
Anthony, it ain't the heat.

Anthony, it ain't the heat. It's the stupidity.

terminusmundi
terminusmundi 08/20/10 - 08:28 am
Anthony, what you should do

Anthony, what you should do is open a complaint to the city transportation department. Or, next time, tell her that you have a medical condition and you are required to keep water with you at all times. Although I'm not too keen on the way he said it, alumna is completely right. I can understand if you were having a three-course meal, but your drinking of water instead of soda or coffee should be encouraged, not forbidden.

Or tell her you're a Fremen and your stillsuit is at Sietch Tabr Tailors for repairs after you got a sandtrout stuck in the leg-pumps.

Chillen
Chillen 08/20/10 - 09:06 am
Government rules....don't you

Government rules....don't you just love them!

follower 08/20/10 - 09:39 am
Alumna, while I may agree

Alumna, while I may agree it's a silly rule, it's a rule none the less. But your post points to a few disturbing comments.

You encourage the LTE writer to fulfull his needs when and whereever he wishes. Try that in a courtroom, a government building where prohibited, or a private retail business where prohibited. You'll be asked to leave and rightfully so. A government agent had me throw away a fresh bottle of water before going through the scanner at the airport. I didn't like it, but it's the rule.

You also posit the bus system is supported by tax paying minorities who use this tax funded resource. You are partly correct which also makes you partly wrong. The overwhelming majority of the funding is paid by taxpaying citizens that never use the bus system. It is a benefit of living in a gracious society that sees a need to help those who don't have personal transportation move about in the area. The amount taken in from fares doesn't come close to paying the tab.

Freedom is a wonderful thing, but it has boundries. It's a simple rule that is addressed by "fulfilling your needs" before you enter the bus.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/20/10 - 10:44 am
Government rules have

Government rules have abolished common sense and the ability of people to make even sensible exceptions to rules in compelling circumstances.
Anthony, save up and buy a car!

chasboy
chasboy 08/20/10 - 11:14 am
I rode the bus yeserday

I rode the bus yeserday because I thought it would be easier than parking in a parking deck that's always crowded. It took 3 hours to go one way. Wait on bus 1hr-get to tranist station wait another hour on and on... never freakin again.
I feel your pain Anthony

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/20/10 - 11:33 am
Alumna, I would guess that

Alumna, I would guess that the rule about no drinking on the bus is because inevitably somebody is going to spill something. If they spill it on another passenger there might be a fight. If they spill hot coffee on a passenger there might be a lawsuit. If they spill Coca Cola on the seat there will be a sticky mess for the next passenger to sit in. You can see their point.

Mr. Esposito obviously is a member of the “Me, Me, Me” generation.

Chillen
Chillen 08/20/10 - 11:38 am
Augusta's bus system is a

Augusta's bus system is a joke. They are 90% empty at any given time.

I don't understand why the taxpayers of Richmond county don't demand that the bus service be cancelled?! What a waste of funds. People work hard for their money, the government ought not to waste their earnings.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 08/20/10 - 12:41 pm
What's up with everyone

What's up with everyone toting around water bottles these days? Used to be you would drink water when you left the house and drink it again when you got to where you were going. Bunch of Spongebobs running around going to dry up?

follower 08/20/10 - 02:03 pm
Boog, that's funny. lol

Boog, that's funny. lol

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/20/10 - 07:39 pm
Not to mention the problem

Not to mention the problem of determining/policing the content of the bottle. Ever think about that?

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/20/10 - 10:44 pm
When I was in the Army coming

When I was in the Army coming home from Ft. Jackson and basic training on the Greyhound, the driver wouldn't let me drink beer or any of us raise Caine. Imagine that.

Anthony needs to chase rainbows and marvel over them. When he was on the Augusta dating game, he was considered the least wanted. Maybe he can do a letter to the editor about the service and coffee at Starbucks next.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/20/10 - 11:33 pm
Mr. Esposito (or someone like

Mr. Esposito (or someone like him) may have filled his “water” bottle with vodka and was getting ready to fight. On second thought, who else would be “like” Mr. Esposito?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/20/10 - 11:35 pm
Wasn't Mr. Esposito the one

Wasn't Mr. Esposito the one who tried to get 15 minutes of fame last summer by trying to get volunteers to mow the grass at the Golf & Gardens Hall of Fame? We see how long that lasted. How many times did Esposito mow the grass down there this summer?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/20/10 - 11:38 pm
If you can drink a beverage

If you can drink a beverage anywhere you want to, then you should be allowed to smoke a cigarette anywhere you want to.