Bible pronouncements require context

With the busy topic lately of "Is the entire Bible true?" I'd like to say this: To the unbeliever, no amount of evidence or persuasion will suffice. To the born-again Christian, no more is necessary; plenty exists already.

Abstaining from certain foods was an Old Testament requirement. The New Testament says all foods are permitted. Both are true, but there is a timing issue. Since certain foods were considered unclean, the practice of abstaining was symbolic and pointed futuristically to a time when cleansing from sin and uncleanness would come. Jesus fulfilled that with His sinless death on the cross; therefore the old practice no longer has value.

Homosexuality, slavery and polygamy always have been wrong. It is man who has chosen to ignore that. Jesus did not address slavery because He was fulfilling a much larger purpose of redemption and of challenging people on the state of their eternal souls, not getting caught up in every single thing to which he could have called attention.

Honoring the Sabbath is still correct. Christ reiterated that. Honoring God in one's heart is the most important. Do people honor it? Not most. Is that God's fault? I don't think so. It is mankind that has made it difficult to do with our busy schedules. My hat is off to the Chick-fil-A-ers of the world!

Most folks who keep pointing to these alleged discrepancies do not understand the purpose and timing behind some of these Old Testament requirements nor the fulfillment Christ finished, and thus why it is no longer applicable in the New Testament. They just see a discrepancy.

But it's like passing a baton. Once runner No. 2 has it, runner No. 1 has finished his purpose and all eyes are now on runner No. 2! Same run, though -- same race, same purpose.

Russ Larkin

North Augusta, S.C.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/12/10 - 10:31 pm
Ah, the word comes to us from

Ah, the word comes to us from the Chik-fil-A Theology School!

dougk
dougk 08/12/10 - 10:36 pm
Well, this letter clears a

Well, this letter clears a lot of stuff up for me..

momster59
momster59 08/12/10 - 10:38 pm
Why does the AC call itself a

Why does the AC call itself a "news" paper when in actuality it is a "christian" propaganda paper? Virtually ever LTE it publishes and most of its editorials belong in the religion section (read: christian section) published on Saturdays.

grouse
grouse 08/12/10 - 10:47 pm
One would think an

One would think an omnipresent, omnipotent god capable of creating the universe and all that's in it, could give his attention to a lot of different things at one time. One would also think he could have "written" a single book without any errors, contradictions or ambiguity...one that all peoples of the earth could readily understand and follow. The Bible is a buffet that believers can pick and choose what they wish to follow as does the letter writer above.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/12/10 - 11:02 pm
Momster, are you not a

Momster, are you not a Christian?

soldout
soldout 08/12/10 - 11:08 pm
Good letter; very clear and

Good letter; very clear and easy to understand. Most media is just sin promoters so it is always good to see the Word of God in print. The influence of the world has made many Christians so sub-normal that normal Christians today seem abnormal. May the Chronicle be blessed for publishing these letters.

dougk
dougk 08/12/10 - 11:10 pm
Sargebaby, Grouse asked a

Sargebaby, Grouse asked a good question. Your answer was more ninkapoopish than the question......or am I missing something here?

momster59
momster59 08/12/10 - 11:16 pm
sarge - I've made that clear

sarge - I've made that clear on a daily basis. I follow my father's Native American faith. Read the entire bible multiple times and totally repulsed by much of the old testament, but love what Jesus is actually saying. God speaks to us on the wind and he breaths his spirit into all living things. My faith teaches that God is loving enough that he reveals himself to everyone and that any faith that teaches love, kindness towards all, tolerance, mercy and taking care of the Earth is a legitimate faith. God is powerful enough to show his path to those who seek him and he does not require us to force our beliefs onto others. Personally, I find proselytizing quite disrespectful to God.
I've read the Bible, the Qur'an, the Bhagavad Ghita, the writings of Buddha and many other religious texts and have found that the root message of all the major religions is the same. Everybody is saying there is only one god, and they worship the only god. Now, if there is only one god and the basic moral teaching of all these religions is the same, then it follows to me that my father's people are right and that God has given his truth to all these people and they are just silly to be fighting and killing and oppressing each other over who the one god they all worship is.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 08/12/10 - 11:47 pm
Russ Larkin has submitted a

Russ Larkin has submitted a clear, concise letter. Although Christ clearly said no part of God's Law would perish (Matthew 5:17-18), we know that God has changed the Law from time to time (a change in the Law is not the same as if part of the Law perished). Before the Flood, for instance, people could not eat meat; after the flood, they could. Later, clean versus unclean foods were spelled out for Israelite believers when the Law was given through Moses, but Gentile believers have been subject to the same regulations Noah and his family were after the flood.

The most important change in the Law took place when God abolished the Levitical priesthood and made the Lord Jesus Christ our eternal high priest according to the order of Melchizedek. "For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also" (Hebrews 7:12 New American Standard Bible).

As Brother Larkin pointed out, some things haven't changed, and God's prohibition against homosexuality is one of them.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 08/12/10 - 11:54 pm
"Personally, I find

"Personally, I find proselytizing quite disrespectful to God" (momster59).

Momster, you've accused Christ of being disrespectful to God, because He told His apostles: "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:18-20 New American Standard Bible).

By any chance do you think Muhammad was disrespectful to God when he ordered his followers to kill infidels?

Pu239
Pu239 08/13/10 - 12:08 am
A preponderance of

A preponderance of proselytizing posters provides pompous pragmatic persons a pathways to purvey their phobias.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 08/13/10 - 12:15 am
"One would think an

"One would think an omnipresent, omnipotent god capable of creating the universe and all that's in it, could give his attention to a lot of different things at one time. One would also think he could have 'written' a single book without any errors, contradictions or ambiguity...one that all peoples of the earth could readily understand and follow. The Bible is a buffet that believers can pick and choose what they wish to follow as does the letter writer above" (grouse).

Grouse, God does think of many things at once. Haven't you read where all our hairs are numbered and that no sparrow falls to the ground without His knowledge?

God could've written a single book without errors. Instead, He inspired prophets to write quite a few inerrant books, which have been compiled into the Bible. To be sure, nearly all Scripture was penned by men, but God Himself wrote the Ten Commandments on stone tablets.

Granted, the Bible is laid out so that people may choose whether to obey it fully or obey only the parts they like. It also is laid out so that people may misunderstand and twist its verses. Thus, we read of unstable people who have twisted Paul's writings just as they have twisted the rest of the Scriptures (2 Peter 3:15-16). God did this, I think, to test us; but we're assured that whoever desires to do God's will is enabled to tell the difference between God's teachings and man's (John 7:17).

grouse
grouse 08/13/10 - 02:59 am
You proved my points. Read

You proved my points. Read the third paragraph of the letter. Larken, another Christian, says Jesus can't do everything at once.

carcraft
carcraft 08/13/10 - 05:16 am
I sit and read daily, in the

I sit and read daily, in the news papers, the truth of the prophecies in the Bible coming true. Isreal, as a nation, would become a stumbling block, surrounded by enemies, which no nation can lift. Jews would come to Isreal from around the world. There would be increases in famine, wars, disasters. Man would become lovers of self rather than lovers of God. There would be a great falling away because people could not stand sound Biblical doctrine. I watch so called Christian Churchs not tolerate sexual immorality but CELEBRATE it. I see Biblical teachers with itching ears that follow the fads of modern times, many roads up the mountain yada yada yada. Then I read the messages of the scoffers and it just reinforces the truth of scripture!

carcraft
carcraft 08/13/10 - 05:22 am
Arminian- Look how simple

Arminian- Look how simple words in the US constitution get twisted! We have the writings of the founders telling us what they wanted, we have the document in English, yet we find rights to privacy not listed, ownership of guns (which is listed) being denied. Ownership of property being destroyed. The 14th amendment distorted to the point that insteady of insuring the children of slaves were granted citizenship 1 out of 12 children born is some areas are anchor babies. Then these people blame God because they don't want the truth!

NewHere
NewHere 08/13/10 - 05:47 am
When is the ac going to stop

When is the ac going to stop all this garbage? Waste of time and space!

chasboy
chasboy 08/13/10 - 06:21 am
I think I'll just love God

I think I'll just love God and my neighbor. I can remember to do that.

Poodie
Poodie 08/13/10 - 07:21 am
Right on, chasboy! You

Right on, chasboy! You understand the whole message of Jesus. "To act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God" (Micah 6:8). Notice what this verse doesn't mention...no salvation, no faith, no theology, no belief, no atoning sacrifice, no God-man, no virgin birth, no resurrection. God makes it clear---what matters to Him is the level of respect we have for each other and for God.

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 08/13/10 - 07:57 am
Momster....you say that you

Momster....you say that you like what Jesus is saying, and then in the next sentence say that proselytizing is disrespectul to God....yet Jesus commanded that we go to all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. So which is it? You either believe the words of Christ or you don't. You can't have it both ways. Jesus also said HE is the way, the truth, and the life. No man can come to the Father, but through HIM. Obviously, you must not like what Jesus is saying because your ranting goes totally against the teachings of Jesus Christ.

You refer to the AC as a Christian propaganda paper....need I remind you that you are in the Bible Belt? Perhaps you should move to same land where you can worship your earth god and live peacefully with nature.

Republicant
Republicant 08/13/10 - 08:31 am
Momster and Chasboy have it

Momster and Chasboy have it right.

swinter05
swinter05 08/13/10 - 08:35 am
HEYYYYYYYYYYY Chasboy!! I've

HEYYYYYYYYYYY Chasboy!! I've missed you. How are you doing?

chasboy
chasboy 08/13/10 - 09:07 am
Not bad swinter. Had to play

Not bad swinter. Had to play in Charlotte night before last but I have a few days off now. YEE HAW!

swinter05
swinter05 08/13/10 - 09:13 am
Hope yall had a good show and

Hope yall had a good show and safe travel. Did you get my e-mail this past Sunday? I don't know if it went through, it did something weird. Good talking with ya.

So crates
So crates 08/13/10 - 09:16 am
This is pretty decent,

This is pretty decent, actually, for someone who bases reasoning on the bible. Of course, basing reasoning on the bible is absurd for countless reasons, but truly, if you must do so then context is fundamental to understanding.

swinter05
swinter05 08/13/10 - 09:32 am
A verse I'd like to share

A verse I'd like to share with everyone this morning:
Do not withhold your mercy from me, O LORD; may your love and your truth always protect me. Psalm 40:11

dashiel
dashiel 08/13/10 - 10:00 am
Does anybody know whether or

Does anybody know whether or not Moses was a black man?

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 08/13/10 - 10:03 am
I'm sure "somebody" does, but

I'm sure "somebody" does, but not me.

confederate american
confederate american 08/13/10 - 10:04 am
Grouse they also laughed at

Grouse they also laughed at Noah.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 08/13/10 - 10:14 am
Excellent letter, Mr. Larkin,

Excellent letter, Mr. Larkin, and your statement, " To the unbeliever, no amount of evidence or persuasion will suffice. To the born-again Christian, no more is necessary; plenty exists already", just about sums up all that is required to understand the situation of belief in relation to Christianity. However it goes way beyond that, imho, as unlike almost every other religion on the planet, Christianity has somehow been singled out as the one that is oppressive, evil and absurd, and the only one that is beaten up continually, day after day. It goes far beyond mere theology, or choice, or freedom. There is, imho, a most definite uncoordinated conspiracy to silence..even ultimately someday destroy Christianity, or at the very least ridicule and discredit it to the point of total impotence. What other religion is under attack to this extent? Not even Islam, despite the radical wing, is denigrated like Christianity, as critics are very careful to separate the radicals from the "true faith", according to the tenets of the Qur'an. No, Christianity stands alone, continually attacked, mocked and held my many as absolutely contemptuous. I might also add the fallacy of the separation of church and state as adding to this global chorus of destain, as anything even remotely associated with Christianity is inherently evil and must immediately be rooted out and eliminated. Ironic, isn't it, that the founders of our country, almost all Christians, although fervently wanting freedom for all religions, instead have unintentionally created an atmosphere of fear, distrust and downright hate for the very religion that they all practiced? Now, it has even degenerated so much so that the very word,"Christian", when applied to a person, somehow immediately labels them as being mean spirited, vindictive, haughty, narrow minded, superior and judgmental. In other words, a hater. Why is this? I feel there are many things feeding into this, all working together in unison, to bring about a fundamental shift in the social fabric of America, but Christianity is more than just a religion. It represents the basis for the very fabric that I alluded to, that must be changed, in order to dramatically shift our country from being a, "Christian Nation", to a "Secular Nation". I know there will be many that disagree, but I stand by my feeling that by discrediting and rendering Christianity virtually irrelevant, they seek to undermine our entire historic traditional society to one that is more to their liking, and imho, they have done an excellent job so far.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 08/13/10 - 10:10 am
You know God is so good. He

You know God is so good. He is able to work out all the details that man squabbles over. I can only speak for myself when I say that when I follow the principles layed out in both the Old and New Testament that I always am blessed and find the right direction for my life. The Bible says Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

Marijuana-based drug works differently

Georgia Regents University and the state of Georgia have worked for months to land a marijuana-derived drug clinical trial for children with difficult seizure disorders.