Bicyclists should share road, burden

To be able to drive on the road, cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc., all have to be registered, have license plates, pay taxes and have insurance. As far as I know, bicyclists don't have to pay any of this -- so why should we have to share the road with them?

Why do they have their own lane on a lot of roads? Why are they so important that they are exempt from paying for the privilege to be on the road like the rest of us? If cyclists want to drive their bikes on the road with vehicles, they should be required to do everything we as drivers of vehicles have to do -- pay, and follow the same rules.

I don't have children, and I have to pay school taxes. I don't like that a lot. It's not fair. I would gladly pay the tax instead to an animal rescue organization. We taxpayers don't have a choice.

I have nothing against cyclists or kids. I just believe in fairness, which is a rare commodity these days. I'll gladly share the road with cyclists when they start paying for the privilege.

Beth Guarnieri

North Augusta, S.C.

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/10/10 - 09:50 pm
unreal. poverty envy? You

unreal. poverty envy? You gonna tax shoes, too Beth? A lot of taxes go to pay for sidewalks. I was under the impression that gas taxes helped pay for road maintenance. Perhaps I am wrong. In the meantime, I'll be on the lookout for you amongst the notorious South Carolina motorists. No wonder most of ya'll can't drive. Hard enough time reasoning?

GGpap
GGpap 08/11/10 - 12:06 am
After I tried to stifle my

After I tried to stifle my chuckles over Ms. Guarnieri's LTE I realized that she did, indeed, make another point that may actually reflect the true feelings of many taxpayers in America when she wrote the following: "I don't have children, and I have to pay school taxes...I would gladly pay the tax instead to an animal rescue organization."

A poll on this point might be enlightening. :)

GGpap

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 08/11/10 - 01:14 am
Beth, stick with saving pit

Beth, stick with saving pit bulls. You are off base on this one.

KSL
KSL 08/11/10 - 01:48 am
Interesting combination.

Interesting combination. During the few short years we resided within the limits of the City of Aiken (late 60's early 70's) we had to pay a fee (tax) to register our bicycles. And later they installed a fee to register your dog, who had to be on a leash at all times.

I remember my husband saying that someone brought up at a council meeting the question of how to handle the county dogs who happened to cross over the line into the City of Aiken.

jamesnewsome
jamesnewsome 08/11/10 - 04:42 am
I'll qualify my comments by

I'll qualify my comments by letting you know that I am a cyclist. I do agree that cyclists should have to "follow the same rules." This includes riding in the correct lane going with traffic instead of against it and obeying the same traffic laws as motorists.

I believe GA has a helmut law for cyclists (could be wrong), but common sense tells us that a helmut is needed for safety. My daughter was t-boned by a cyclist in Atlanta who ran a stop sign, and her car suffered a dent. It had to be repaired on her dime because cyclists are not required to carry insurance. I don't have the answer here, but it would be an interesting debate.

I must be critical of Beth for preferring to spend her school tax dollars on animal rescue. I have nothing against animals (have one), but the education of the populus was deemed a public responsibility generations ago. I suspect Beth enjoyed a public education at taxpayer's responsibility.

Furthermore, Beth does have a choice. She can support a political candidate who agrees with her, or she is free to run for political office and attempt to change the law. This is the same choice was all have as citizens of this country.

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 08/11/10 - 04:49 am
So, she would rather pay to

So, she would rather pay to rescue an animal than to educate a kid! Very interesting. I guess like PETA, she thinks animals are more important than people.
Sixty years ago, the state I lived in had a dog tax.
The dog was required to have a collar with the dog tax tag attached as well as the rabies shot tag.

Techfan
Techfan 08/11/10 - 05:58 am
4 wheelers, golf carts,

4 wheelers, golf carts, miniblikes, and go carts aren't allowed on the roads. Why? Because they can't maintain a speed that even approaches the legal speed limit and create a dangerous situation. Top a hill or round a curve at 55 and there's a vehicle going 5 mph it becomes dangerous. I have nothing against cyclists and I'm happy to see seperate cycle lanes, but it becomes very aggravating when you're in a hurry, like trying to get to work, and you're stuck behind someone going a few miles per hour. I say, tax and tag cycles and use the funds to increase the number of bike lanes and keep them off the road. I'm sure most of the posters against the LTE would have a few choice words if they were behind someone in a car going 5mph down the highway, why should cyclists get a pass?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 08/11/10 - 06:14 am
Excellent response, Techfan,

Excellent response, Techfan, I wholeheartedly agree.

So crates
So crates 08/11/10 - 07:30 am
Clearly this is another

Clearly this is another biased attempt by the conservative right to...oh. Wait. No. I'm sorry. This woman is simply an idiot. Maybe the AC editors do have a sense of humor, after all.

airbud7
airbud7 08/11/10 - 07:53 am
I live on furys ferry rd (the

I live on furys ferry rd (the section thats 55mph) every day I here car horns going off and I look outside just to see another bicyclists going 15mph

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 08/11/10 - 08:09 am
I once saw a dog riding a

I once saw a dog riding a bike to school. Wonder how Beth would feel about that?

dani
dani 08/11/10 - 08:19 am

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/11/10 - 09:40 am
Cyclists like to complain

Cyclists like to complain that car drivers don't see or respect them on the roads. Yesterday, however, on my way home there was an idiot on a bike with NO SAFETY GEAR riding down the middle of a busy street when there were two perfectly wonderful sidewalks on either side of him. Yet he rode his bike in the middle of the left lane and had a slow, annoyed, steady stream of traffic behind him. Make sense?

jiclemens
jiclemens 08/11/10 - 10:07 am
I'm with you techfan and

I'm with you techfan and agree that bike lanes are desperately needed. The argument goes that their "tax" is in sweat. They left their car at home. They deserve a safe place on the road, but agree, there's nothing more obnoxious than a "militant" occupying a lane at 5mph just to make some stupid political statement.

corgimom
corgimom 08/11/10 - 10:20 am
Car versus bicycle- car wins,

Car versus bicycle- car wins, every time.

No matter how you feel about it, you can't beat the laws of physics.

momster59
momster59 08/11/10 - 10:23 am
corgi - LOL

corgi - LOL

seabeau
seabeau 08/11/10 - 10:56 am
I believe that due to the

I believe that due to the differences of speed and weight between auto and bicycles there should be no sharing of all the roads. This is a safety issue. They should only be able to ride on roads with a 45 mph speed limit or slower. After all,bicycles are not allowed on Interstates for this very reason.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 08/11/10 - 12:55 pm
Spot on techfan. America's

Spot on techfan. America's tax code is just ridiculous on many fronts. This is just another one of the examples.

sociologyedu_one
sociologyedu_one 08/11/10 - 12:59 pm
ignorance brings out the true

ignorance brings out the true stupidity of people

trimmy
trimmy 08/11/10 - 06:07 pm
I ride a motorcycle and I

I ride a motorcycle and I feel there is a target on me when I'm in traffic. Vehicles are looking for a car coming not a motorcycle or bicycle. But I do think that there is very wide gap between a motorcycle and a bicycle. I pay all the necessary taxes and tag fees. I do not poke along holding up traffic. As a matter of fact, traffic usually holds me up. Bicycles create a dangerous situation. I would prefer they did not ride on public roadways. BTW I do not ride a rice burning crotch rocket! The comment about sharing the taxes if we share the roadways is a good one. FAIR IS FAIR

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 08/11/10 - 06:10 pm
I am a cyclist; I enjoy the

I am a cyclist; I enjoy the use of a road that I pay for with the taxes on my automobile and income. Some local jurisdictions do require registration and paying a tax; they do not here. If it were required, I would pay it.
JusticeForEva, effective July 1, 2009, it is illegal for anyone over the age of 12 to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk, so that is not an option for teens and adults.
Cyclists are required to ride to the right unless making a left turn.
Beth, I'm aghast that you would put animal rescue as a higher priority than public education. I'm sure you didn't pay a dime for your time in the public schools. Although these days, the public schools area a bureaucratic disaster. When I lived in another state, we had school choice. Your child could attend any school in the state as long as you go them there in the morning and picked them up in the afternoon. If you didn't like the school your child was in, you could just go to another one.
Anyway, I'm sorry for the people who can't accommodate bicycles on "their" road.

apex24
apex24 08/11/10 - 06:48 pm
My concern is those bicycle

My concern is those bicycle spandex that shouldn't be worn by some. That's enough to cause an accident. Just a piece of advice to some of the bicyclist, eat something. You look like a dried up prune and please speed up if you're going to use the main highway.

nofrills
nofrills 08/11/10 - 07:21 pm
Tech you are correct as a

Tech you are correct as a resident of Beech Island I have to deal with bicyclist who believe they can span out in front of you so you can't pass. The speed limit on Old Jackson Highway is 55mph. The road is narrow and when you have two cars coming in different directions and add a bike rider with a death wish brings both cars to a stop so the bicyclist wont get hit. Now add 20 cars going both ways then add 20 bicyclist all headed in one direction creates al kinds of near misses not to mention it slows traffic down to 5mph. The law needs to put a stop to you bicyclist. Also let me point out I own 4 cars and have to pay taxes on all 4 so if your a bicyclist you should have to pay road taxes to or ride in the grass when traffic is present. heck its better exercise anyway....

crackerjack
crackerjack 08/12/10 - 02:36 pm
I don't have a problem with

I don't have a problem with the cyclists, but what I do have a problem with are the ones that ride down William Few Parkway just after sundown with no lights or reflective clothing. You guys are idiots.

wbbh
wbbh 08/14/10 - 08:06 am
Beth Guarnieri and the people

Beth Guarnieri and the people that agree with you are in fact wrong. If you were correct, YOU would be off the road and only trucks would have a right to the road, after all, they pay much higher taxes and license charges. Here is another little fact, most cyclists have one or more vehicles sitting home in a garage with taxes and license fees paid.

wbbh
wbbh 08/14/10 - 08:14 am
Beth Guarnieri I don't have

Beth Guarnieri I don't have an airplane or a railroad, but my taxes help fund them. This is not some third world county of the have and have not, we educate our children because it is an investment in the future of our country. Who do you think is going to work to pay your Social Security payments? Become a doctor and treat your illnesses? Your selfishness and preference for rescuing an animal over educating a child is truly stunning.

sojumaster
sojumaster 08/19/10 - 06:53 am
Everyone loves to complain

Everyone loves to complain about the biker that is doing somethign stupid, albiet it does happen and I am not ignorant to that fact. What I love though is the 100's of times throughout the day when I drive and see people talking on the phone, texting, failure to use turn signals, failure to turn on the headlights when it rains, random changes in the lanes, failure to yield to faster moving traffic while in the left lane, etc. etc.

If the drivers want to complain about bikers, they need to straighten up their own driving habits first.

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.