Tax dollars could have been better spent

Normally, I wouldn't bother with something as ridiculous as this affair, because I don't live in Richmond County, but this money from the federal government to improve Laney High School is tax dollars from me and the rest of the United States.

First off, it was just the $12,458 for the "team-building" retreat, but later there was something about transportation costs of $1,400. What will it be tomorrow?

I can think of several places locally to hold a retreat that will not cost an arm and a leg besides the Ritz-Carlton. For example, Magnolia Springs State Park has a youth camp area with housing, a large dining hall, kitchen and meeting areas that could have been used. It's quiet; there are cottages for housing available; all facilities are air-conditioned; and the park is just 50 miles south of Augusta off a four-lane highway. Somehow, I don't see bus rental and drivers being $1,400, but then, what do I know?

Like many other things in Richmond County and the city of Augusta, there seems to be a great lack of forethought. Surely someone somewhere in he system could have seen the uproar coming that this has engendered.

I taught here in Jenkins County, and everything we did had to be approved by its Board of Education before it could be done. Is Richmond County different than the rest of the state of Georgia?

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 08/09/10 - 12:07 am
"Is Richmond County different

"Is Richmond County different than the rest of the state of Georgia?"
--------------------------
I am going to go out on a limb here and say......yes.

GGpap
GGpap 08/09/10 - 01:41 am
Nothing unusual here, folks.

Nothing unusual here, folks. School administrators and board members have no common sense, nor do they exercise frugality when it comes to spending tax payers dollar when it has any bearing on their own "away from the district sojourns."

Check the books, find out where your adminstrators and board members stay, and what amenities they take advantage of when they leave the district in order to attend their annual administrator and board member conferences.

This waste is no surprise to many of us.

GGpap

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 08/09/10 - 03:21 am
government agency at work.

government agency at work. 'nuf said?

dashiel
dashiel 08/09/10 - 08:18 am
Magnolia Springs aint got no

Magnolia Springs aint got no room service, though, and we is scared of the alligators down there. People can relax and enjoy theyselves at a Ritz-Carlton unless they smokes. Magnolia Springs aint even got mini bars. How you gon learn about team building in such a shabby place?

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/09/10 - 10:28 am
aww, I was hoping this was

aww, I was hoping this was some "buyers remorse" over the Tee Center. 12k is chump change compared to the 100 million being sunk into that building and the uh.. future obligations to the Laney Walker area.

dichotomy
32026
dichotomy 08/09/10 - 12:10 pm
Deleted. Double post.

Deleted. Double post.

dichotomy
32026
dichotomy 08/09/10 - 11:30 am
Free money......whoopee! I'll

Free money......whoopee! I'll make the hotel reservations at the Ritz, you call the gang and charter the bus. We can say we are having a team building excercise. What kind of hors dourves should we get? Do it in town. No way. Somebody might come to see if we are actually working and want a report on our progress.