Do you believe Bible's every word?

Seeing as the only letters to the editor to be printed lately have to do with Christianity and the Bible, I figured that was my best chance to be published.

In reading the online comments, I find these Christians say the Bible is the absolute word of God and to be taken literally. These same Christians keep bringing up the verse in Leviticus that says homosexuality is an abomination to God. They say the Bible is the utmost truth, and every sentence was breathed by the Almighty.

That being said, how can these same Christians overlook the fact that God also says eating pork and shellfish is an abomination? I won't even get into God's thoughts on slavery and the number of wives a man can have. One of the commandments even says that no work is to be done on the Sabbath.

How can a Christian quote the Bible on a certain subject saying it is a sin, and to repent, when other passages are completely overlooked?

I find this very interesting.

edwardc
edwardc 08/08/10 - 10:34 am
Sometimes I suspect some

Sometimes I suspect some people like to talk about what the Bible says even when they have never read it. I highly recommend reading it; it will blow your mind. Nothing else ever written can compare to it.

DaddyFrog
DaddyFrog 08/08/10 - 12:14 pm
Mr. Glover, there is a pretty

Mr. Glover, there is a pretty good web-site that can help you. It is
www.gotquestions.org. The site contains thousands of Biblical questions and answers. Plus you can e-mail a question, and you will get an answer.
There is also a NIV Bible called " The Quest Bible". It is loaded with information. Both the site and the Quest Bible have helped me. Plus praying for understanding wouldn't hurt. I'm glad you guys are clean and sober. Keep it up, Brother. If you all ever play in this area (CSRA), I'll try to go see you.

chasboy
chasboy 08/08/10 - 12:28 pm
Thanks Daddyfrog!

Thanks Daddyfrog!

tmimbs
tmimbs 08/08/10 - 12:45 pm
Momster, you said in the fist

Momster, you said in the fist post of this thread that you were glad you didn't "stone your son to death when he was a rebellious teen", I took that to mean you were inferring the Bible says you should do that. If I read that correctly, then I can't quite understand your claim that you understand the Bible in it's proper context.

I also find it a bit hard to understand how you can start a comment thread and you are then shocked when someone addresses your comment.

tmimbs
tmimbs 08/08/10 - 12:52 pm
Chasboy, I apologize for

Chasboy, I apologize for replying to you earlier when you weren't addressing me. I'm on my little blackberry screen and my eyes aren't what they used to be. I really enjoyed your last couple of posts and I am looking forward to getting to my computer and listening to your music.

swinter05
swinter05 08/08/10 - 12:57 pm
chasboy, is there a way for

chasboy, is there a way for me to e-mail you?

dougk
dougk 08/08/10 - 01:04 pm
Swinter05, go the website

Swinter05, go the website that he posted at 11:16.

swinter05
swinter05 08/08/10 - 01:04 pm
I just read you last long

I just read you last long post, Chasboy, and I must admit, you had me in tears. This world is so negative and full of people that just want to hold you down. God obviously has a hold of your heart. If he didn't you would not have let your pride down, and basically spilled your heart out...your downfalls, addictions, etc. I find that extremely admirable. I would have never thought from your posts on previous sights that I would be seeing this side of you...or finding out you were in a Christian band. Jesus is very comforting, and if nothing else, if you just have faith (I know it's hard), if you just do that....start talking to Him as if he were your best friend, I know for a fact He will not let you down. I know this may be a funny way to describe this, but Christianity is kind of like the words in Miley Cyrus' song..."It's not about how fast we get there....it's all about the climb." Keep your eyes on Him and he will reveal Himself to you. He knows what each of us needs and hears our every prayer and thought. I'm so happy that you seem to be willing to open up your life and heart to Jesus....sincerely.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/10 - 01:56 pm
grouse, your post at 11:16am

grouse, your post at 11:16am shows just how little you actually know about the bible. There are 10 commandments listed in the Bible (try reading Exodus) and the first is "You shall have no other gods before me" which when Jesus was asked what the greatest commandment was He said to Love the Lord your God with all your heart, which if you do this then you will keep the first commandment because you will have no other gods before Almighty God.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/10 - 01:59 pm
chasboy, please find somone

chasboy, please find somone who you can talk with and also pray before reading the bible and God will answer your questions. There are a lot of research material and study guides that can explain a lot. Have you tried speaking with some of the guys in your band? If you don't feel comfortable with that then email me through the paper and I'll give you a name of a Godly man who can help you through this. May God open your eyes and heart and have a Blessed day.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/08/10 - 02:17 pm
Suppose the Bible is not true

Suppose the Bible is not true and God is not who He says He is...then what?

We all place our faith and trust in something. A life with no hope, is not much life at all. So what or whom do you place your faith/trust/hope in?

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 08/08/10 - 02:30 pm
Well I just hope the

Well I just hope the gluttonous hypocrites honored the Sabbath by not patronizing any restaurants after church today.......yeah right. lol at the hypocrites.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/10 - 03:00 pm
baron, just because people

baron, just because people eat out don't always mean they are committing gluttony. Some can go and eat and have self control. Not saying everyone does but lumping everyone in the same group is just as hypocritical of you. Have you never enjoyed a good meal and afterward found that maybe you could have done without the little extra you put on your plate?

Pastor Dan White
Pastor Dan White 08/08/10 - 03:04 pm
John - The answer to your

John - The answer to your dilemma seems simple to me. In the Old Testament is the Shema from Deuteronomy 6:4-5ff. "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."

And then from Jesus in the New Testament. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

The scribe to whom Jesus directed his answer to replied, ""Well said, teacher...[These two commandmants are] more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices" (Mark 12:32-34). Jesus then replied that the scribe had answered wisely.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/08/10 - 03:30 pm
If keeping the Sabbath holy

If keeping the Sabbath holy could be accomplished by doing nothing, then every undisciplined, lazy, sluggard in town could keep it holy.

God is not interested in our performance or lack thereof; He's interested in our intent...our motivation...our hearts.

Jesus answered your question in Colossians 2: 16-17 and Mark 2:27
"The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."

chasboy
chasboy 08/08/10 - 03:14 pm
My e-mail is

My e-mail is johnglovermusic@yahoo.com
I love that Miley Cyrus song.
There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
always gonna be an uphill battle
sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
doen't matter how fast I get there
doesn't matter what's waitin on the other side
it's the climb

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/10 - 03:14 pm
disssman, to attempt to

disssman, to attempt to answer your question about Cain and Abel. First off, there is no biblical record of Abel ever taking a wife. I think you mean their brother Seth. I go with your assessment that Cain's wife was more than likely his sister.

Mankind was, at first, only two people, Adam and Eve. They had three children whose names we know: Cain, Abel, and Seth. But in Genesis 5:4 we read,

"After he begot Seth, the days of Adam were eight hundred years; and he had sons and daughters." (Genesis 5:4)

We're not told how many children Adam and Eve had altogether, but they certainly had plenty of time to raise a very large family.

Adam and Eve were created perfect in every way. Their children would also, no doubt, be born physically and genetically perfect. Therefore, Cain's wife could be one of his sisters with no problems. Likewise, many of Adam and Eve's children would have inter-married with no problems.

"None of you shall approach anyone who is near of kin to him, to uncover his nakedness: I am the Lord." (Leviticus 18:6)

God does not condone near-relative marriages. Had God's command to Israel been given to Adam and Eve, and they and their children all obeyed it, mankind would have quickly died out. God, therefore, had to temporarily allow intra-family marriages to increase his earthly family.

soldout
soldout 08/08/10 - 03:27 pm
Youall are covering a lot of

Youall are covering a lot of deep ground in these comments. I just know I love the spirit-filled life and being led by the spirit of Christ. Yesterday I was to help someone do a project. I prayed and asked the Holy Spirit to show me what to carry to complete this project. He told me four things. I was surprised because the other person should have had those four. When I got there we needed all four and he had none of them with him. A simple thing , no big deal, but just an ordinary happenings in the spirit filled and led life. A relationship with Christ turns everyday stuff into excitement and amazement that brings joy and peace. As Christians we can become so sub-normal in conforming to the world, that the normal Christian life seems abnormal.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/10 - 03:30 pm
chasboy, just sent you an

chasboy, just sent you an email with some information. I hope you sincerely consider it.

Pastor Dan White
Pastor Dan White 08/08/10 - 03:45 pm
ICL - baron sees the trees

ICL - baron sees the trees but not the forest. He sees a grain of sand but not the seashore. He sees a drop of water but not the ocean of God's great love.

He is entrapped by reason, logic, and has his own bible of ethics developed and written down from his limited rational power which he credits himself as having unlimited rational and thinking power.

He enjoys using that rational power to strain out a gnat in people of faith while swallowing the camel of humanism. He derives great enjoyment in finding the spec in the eye of faith while having the log of humanism and reason in his own eye that prevents him from seeing with spiritual eyes and keeps him in blindness to the awesome majesty of God.

He probably believes a big bang created the universe but cannot see the One who lit the match that created the bang. He probably believed humans evolved from lower animal forms but cannot see or feel the soul in his being that makes communication with God and God with us possible.

I have come to the conclusion that God really bothers baron. If there were no God, why worry about Him and criticize Him? God seems to be on his mind constantly, and He works hard to hold to his humanistic belief system believing the answer to all questions and all of the world's problems can be solved by using human reason.

One thing for sure, baron can't reason his way out of death, disease, and personal tragedies that may befall him in the future.

There are some things reason can't figure out. There is a limit to man's reasoning power.

The famous Scottish philosopher, David Hume (1711-1776), declared, "Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are anything but sick men's dreams." This is the position that baron holds.

But Hume also said “Reason is wholly inactive, and can never be the source of so active a principle as conscience, or a sense of morals.”

My point is that Hume who had no respect for religion realized the limits of human reason.

But faith in God through Christ opens the door to see what human reason cannot know.

However, those who insist on fundamentalism in the Christian faith and argue over "how many angels can sit on a pin head" like theolgians did in the Middle Ages is today a metaphor for wasting time debating topics of no practical value.

One thing I do agree with baron on is how he points out the silliness and time wasting debate on whether it is OK or not OK to eat at a restaurant on Sunday after church. For pointing out many of the hypocrisies of religion, I give him credit and often agree with his sharp reasoning ability.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/10 - 03:34 pm
grouse, no rationalization

grouse, no rationalization involved. You don't need to rationalize something when it based on truth. If you don't believe it's truth, that's your business.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/10 - 03:40 pm
I agree with your post Pastor

I agree with your post Pastor Dan White. I find that baron complains about hypocritcs but in doing so fails to see that he/she is neither perfect either. I fail to understand where the concept of Christians have to be perfect or else they aren't Christians comes from. We all have faults and we all sin, it's how we deal with that sin that is important. I just keep praying for baron because that is the only thing to do. God has to handle this one.

Pastor Dan White
Pastor Dan White 08/08/10 - 03:51 pm
ICL - Who knows - Christ may

ICL - Who knows - Christ may stop him dead in his tracks like He did with the Apostle Paul on the Road to Damascus. It's going to take a revelation for sure. When Peter made his great confession, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven" (Matthew16:16-17).

In other words, human reason and persuasion didn't prompt Peter's great confession, but the Father in heaven gave him that revelation.

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/08/10 - 04:45 pm
What you Bible thumpers fail

What you Bible thumpers fail to realize is that even though the Bible was inspired by God, it was written by MAN...MAN....MAN!!!!!! It's also been translated many times, not from the original language, but from one language then to another from the translation and so on, if that makes any sense. Not to mention, the Catholic church took books out of it that they didn't like. :-/

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 08/08/10 - 04:53 pm
Rightly dividing the

Rightly dividing the Bible,

The Sabbath was given ONLY to Isreal,Deut.5:15 says--The Lord did not make this covenant with our fathers{that means Abraham,Jacob,and those before Moses }but its for us who are here and alive today,{that means they people that Moses was speaking to then}

Moses to the Israelites,
See Deut.5:15God bought you out with a mighty hand,therefore God commanded you to keep the Sabbath.
Deut.5:24--after the Ten Commandments,god gave them commands to build alters and to burn sacrifices.
In Exodus 31:13-God says to Moses,speak to the children of Israel saying,”Surley my Sabbaths YOU shall keep,for it is a sign between you and I throughout Your generation.

Deut.31:16-Therefore the children of Isreal shall keep the Sabbath throughout THEIR generations. As a perpetual covenant.

Deut.31:17-It is a sign between Me and the children of Isreal.
How could it be a sign between God and Isreal if God had given the same law to other nations? Would a ring be a sign of a mans special relationship with his wife if he had gave similar rings to many other women?

God told Isreal that various provisions of they law were to last throughout Their generations.

Genesis 17:9,10-circumsison,feast days, Lev.23 ,Ex.12,,Ex 29-animal sacrifices and several more,these all continued as long as Isreal’s special relationship .,to God contuined,all would end when that special relationship ended.That special relationship ended when the Gospel came into effect..Theres no more Jew or Gentile in Gods’plan.{Gal.3:28}

Hebrews 8:6-13-these verses quote Jer.31:31-34,which predicted God would make a new covenant different than the one He had made with the children of Isreal when He lead them out of Egypt.Christ has enacted a new covenant,hence the first was made old and is vanishing away{Heb.8:13}This fulfills Gods word in the Old Testament.see also Gal.2:13

Mr Glover hope this will help some

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 08/08/10 - 04:58 pm
dont you think it was Gods

dont you think it was Gods work to perserve the Bible down through the generations? His hand was in the writing of the Bible,and you have to remember these were not just meer men they walked with jesus and were led by the Holy Spirit in the writing of the Bible

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 08/08/10 - 05:02 pm
when you read the Old

when you read the Old Testament how many prophieses do you find fulfilled in the New testament?now dont yu think it was just more than mortal man that wrote the Old Testament?thier prophises were written many many years before Christ was born? how do you think they could have known those things,if they were not led by the spirit to write tham.

disssman
disssman 08/08/10 - 07:25 pm
ICL. I still would like to

ICL. I still would like to know where NOD is. Why is the boble so secretive of that place, and yet it plays an important part in creationalism. Further, if all christians purport to follow Jesus, why aren't they of the same religion he was? Wouldn't that be a sin if a person didn't follow the son of God. As to assembly of the bible, we really don't have a clue who actually wrote the 300 year old books, but we do know it wasn't a poor person who walked with christ, because a scribe was a high official at the time, and the cost of materials was probably out of sight. Just lots of questions.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/10 - 08:08 pm
disssman, Nod comes from the

disssman, Nod comes from the Hebrew word meaning "wandering". It is said to be east of Eden. I don't feel the bible is secretive of that place. Evidently it wasn't an important place and all we know is that Cain was banished there because of killing his brother. You asked why we aren't the same religion as Jesus. It's not about religion, it's about relationship and we are to follow Christ, not a religion. As for the bible, you might now know or might not believe, or you probably couldn't care less, but the bible was written by men through the inspiration of God. All the apostles who walked with Christ were poor materially but rich spiritually. They left family, home, occupations, everything and followed Christ throughout his ministry and even after his death and resurrection.

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 08/08/10 - 08:14 pm
In Is.7:14this prophecy was

In Is.7:14this prophecy was fulfilled in LUKE 1: 26,27,30,31,how could he have known about Jesus if they Holy Spirit was not guiding him to write this? So see not just mere men, but men of God.

Ex-SC Gov. Edwards dies

CHARLESTON, S.C. - James B. Edwards, South Carolina's first Republican governor since Reconstruction and later energy secretary for two years in the Reagan administration, has died.