Do you believe Bible's every word?

Seeing as the only letters to the editor to be printed lately have to do with Christianity and the Bible, I figured that was my best chance to be published.

In reading the online comments, I find these Christians say the Bible is the absolute word of God and to be taken literally. These same Christians keep bringing up the verse in Leviticus that says homosexuality is an abomination to God. They say the Bible is the utmost truth, and every sentence was breathed by the Almighty.

That being said, how can these same Christians overlook the fact that God also says eating pork and shellfish is an abomination? I won't even get into God's thoughts on slavery and the number of wives a man can have. One of the commandments even says that no work is to be done on the Sabbath.

How can a Christian quote the Bible on a certain subject saying it is a sin, and to repent, when other passages are completely overlooked?

I find this very interesting.

momster59
momster59 08/07/10 - 09:43 pm
I'm still glad that I didn't

I'm still glad that I didn't stone my son to death when he was a rebellious teen. Love you sweetie.

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 08/07/10 - 09:45 pm
Why is having a letter

Why is having a letter published in the Augusta Chronicle something to aspire to? Seems to me that if this all you had to say, you could have save your stamp.

dani
dani 08/07/10 - 09:52 pm
Evidently Mr Glover has a

Evidently Mr Glover has a problem with the Bible. So be it.

Republicant
Republicant 08/07/10 - 09:57 pm
"Christians" have an identity

"Christians" have an identity problem, and it starts with the "bible".
Cast the first stone.

PhiloPublius
PhiloPublius 08/07/10 - 10:08 pm
I once got a speeding ticket

I once got a speeding ticket when I was driving 45mph in a 35 zone. A few months later that 35 zone was changed to a 45 zone. Am I still not allowed to drive 45mph in that zone now that the old law has ben changed?

Read Acts Chapter 10. Study Mosaic law and how Christ was come to fulfill that law.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 03:04 pm

chasboy
chasboy 08/07/10 - 10:32 pm
I say we take this guy out

I say we take this guy out back and kick the snot out of him! Of course I'm kidding seeing as I'm the letter writer. I don't mean to ruffle feathers I'm just curious.

charliemanson
charliemanson 08/08/10 - 03:54 am
"Many have quarreled about

"Many have quarreled about religion they have never practiced."

Ben Franklin

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 08/08/10 - 04:30 am
Believe it or not, some

Believe it or not, some Christians neither work on the Sabbath nor eat pork and shellfish.

chasboy
chasboy 08/08/10 - 04:36 am
grouse I've always thought of

grouse I've always thought of you as one of the rational posters. I enjoy your comments very much! Rock on!

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 08/08/10 - 07:17 am
One of the most common

One of the most common practices of the secular left is to create a perspective, assign it to a group or individual, and then argue against the perspective while assuming the opposition is supporting the created perspective.
This LTE falls into this category.

chasboy
chasboy 08/08/10 - 05:59 am
You lost me johnston but I'm

You lost me johnston but I'm not that bright and I haven't had enough coffee yet either. hehe

chasboy
chasboy 08/08/10 - 06:47 am
Come on guys let me have it!

Come on guys let me have it! I don't know much about God's law but I am willing to learn. I like to know how people get their beliefs and keep them. I've tried so hard to believe but I just can't get past some of the off the wall things in the Bible. You might not believe this but I'm in a Christian Rock band based out of Greenville SC. I just like playing music. I played professionally for 30 years. I stumbled into this band. We're called Men Like Trees Walking from the book of Mark 8:24 (New King James. If you want to listen to a song I wrote that was a hit in Greenville go to MySpace.com/johnglovertunes. The song is called I promise to believe. I guess I'm a hypocrite but I love making music.
Oh by the way the recording is a bootleg of us so the quality leaves a lot to be desired.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/10 - 06:57 am
Since Mr. Glover and several

Since Mr. Glover and several other regular posters never seem to actually read someone's response to this question, which I have posted several times....I don't know why I even bother any more. I think they just ask these questions just to try and find fault with God's Word and really don't care what the answer is. Here's the answer that I gave chasboy on another article, which evidently he didn't read either.

The Mosaic laws were given to the nation of Israel to separate God's people from other Nations. These laws did not apply to the Gentiles. There were two parts, the moral and the ceremonial laws.

Some of the specific laws of the old covenant are still valid, such as the 10 commandments, but many of them were set aside when Jesus came and fulfilled them by his life, death and resurrection. The New Testament makes it clear that born again Christians are no longer under the Mosaic law in it's entirety but this does not mean we can behave in opposite of the laws, we shouldn't kill, steal, bear false witness, etc. Long before the Mosaic laws were established it was still wrong to do these things.

Because of God's grace and His death on the cross, we are to live in the power of God's grace by the Spirit and not by the rule of the law. We are never suppose to use this as an excuse to indulge in sinful conduct and does not mean that we have no moral law, but that we are to live righteously by a new source of life which is in Jesus Christ our Lord.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/10 - 07:06 am
Well I should have known by

Well I should have known by the writing that chasboy was also Mr. Glover.
Mr. Glover you said you've tried hard to believe but can't get past some of the things in the bible. Either you are not talking to the right people to explain the Bible or your heart is still to hard and you don't want to believe because you are either too afraid or too scared of what it will actually mean to become a believer. Try again, but this time with an open heart and mind to what Christ can do for you.

tmimbs
tmimbs 08/08/10 - 07:06 am
Chasboy and Momster, my

Chasboy and Momster, my Sunday school lesson this morning is 1 Corinthians 11. On the surface, this chapter would be great fodder for those coming from your perspective. It is very challenging and it took a great deal of time a research to properly understand. If I were of a mind to do so, I could have taken thid passage in a simplistic and unresearched fashion and blown those "Bible thumpers" out of the water.

Let me ask a sincere question. Don't you think you have a responsibility to research something before you publicly criticize it? If you did the research, you would know the answers to the "gotcha" questions you seem to love asking.

chasboy
chasboy 08/08/10 - 07:08 am
Icl I don't try to find fault

Icl I don't try to find fault in God's word. I just don't understand it. I don't even know what a mosaic law is. Everytime you try to explain something to me you make me more confused than I was before. I'ts not your fault it's mine. Read my last post and listen to the song I wrote to God.

chasboy
chasboy 08/08/10 - 07:08 am
Icl I don't try to find fault

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 08/08/10 - 07:19 am
chasboy, it seems a lack of

chasboy, it seems a lack of understanding is a common thread with the liberal left.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/10 - 07:20 am
Mosaic Law is the laws given

Mosaic Law is the laws given to the Israelites during the time Moses was leading them out of Egypt. It is not my intention to confuse you more. My suggestion to you is if you are serious in trying to understand the Word then you need to be attending Sunday School or church somewhere, where you can find a pastor or Sunday School teaching who can sit down with you and explain further. A good Bible comentary is another great source. If you pray before studying and researching, God will open you eyes to what His Word says but you have to have an open heart and mind.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/10 - 07:22 am
Got to go get ready for

Got to go get ready for Sunday School....catch you guys later.

tmimbs
tmimbs 08/08/10 - 07:25 am
I appreciate the honest

I appreciate the honest answer. My question about your responsibility still stands, though.

I will listen to your song. BTW, I admire you for exercising your musical talent. That amazes me. My son is an up and coming young musician and I have not an ounce of musical talent.

momster59
momster59 08/08/10 - 07:34 am
chasboy - good game of Carmen

chasboy - good game of Carmen Sandiego. I didn't expect the pork and shellfish to end up on the editorial page.

tmimbs - how in the world did I get thrown in your post other than I disagree with you? (out of the countless other who do also) Unlike chasboy, I am extremely well versed in the bible and completely understand it. However I do recognize it's not perfect. However, I love Jesus' overall message. I do not need to attend your Sunday School, I'm not a Christian and attend my own spiritual services. The fact that I stand up against hatred and bigotry in the name of Jesus doesn't mean I have a problem with him, it means I GET what he was really saying.

airbud7
airbud7 08/08/10 - 07:43 am
I've never heard anyone

I've never heard anyone successfully argue that the Bible was the "word of god" without citing the document in question as proof of its own accuracy. (The Bible is the word of god because the Bible says it is). Belief in god and/or the Bible requires a voluntary choice (ie. an act of "faith"). I respect other people's beliefs, especially when they acknowledge that they are voluntarily chosen beliefs, rather than facts.

soldout
soldout 08/08/10 - 08:12 am
InChristLove your comments

InChristLove your comments are excellent. The attacks against the Word are needed to justify some people. We all have an empty part inside that only a relationship with God can fill. People fill it with lots of stuff and education is one of those. Education is just man's ideas or ideas based on the results of man's research. There is nothing special about education. The Word is clear in that the man who says there is no God is a fool. Jesus says He is the only way to heaven. I think the test of time to this point has proved that faith in the Word has worked better than faith in man and his ideas. I have not met or heard of a man with the joy and peace that a spirit-filled Christian has everyday. I see plenty that appear happy for a short period but when trouble comes many fall apart like a two dollar suitcase. Our lives under pressure show who we really are and the kind of faith we really have. More kill themselves that have it all than those who have nothing. That shows that success man's way must be missing something. Jesus is ready to fill those empty spots. Try it, you will like it and never turn back.

disssman
disssman 08/08/10 - 08:23 am
I love the part where Cain

I love the part where Cain and Abel go to "Nod" to get their wives. Now, their children would have been 1st cousins so who did the children marry and where in the HE11 is Nod, I thought everyone came from the Garden of Eden? Lots of explaining. And obviously God felt it was OK to have many wives, so why are we persecuting the Mormons if we believe our country was built on the church and the bible.

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 08/08/10 - 10:37 am
yes chasboy, finding christ

yes chasboy, finding christ should be complicated and convoluted. never point out the obvious contractions in the way someone follows the teachings...because obviosly you just don't understand or have not tried to understand....now I should give the christian version of flipping you off...."i will pray for you", call you names and just ignore any rational argument.

dashiel
dashiel 08/08/10 - 08:35 am
You go Chasboy. "Make a

You go Chasboy. "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord."

Since you asked, and if your curiosity is healthy enough, a good place to start is a King James Version of the Bible and an original copy of Strong's Concordance. Reading God's word with understanding is preferable to having it read to you without understanding. It's not hard.

Eating enough shellfish and pork should teach anybody how to sin, suffer and repent. Those dietary admonitions make sense and do no harm. They basically implore people to eat less and exercise more. (Sound familiar?)

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/08/10 - 08:50 am
God's law or Sharia law. Be

God's law or Sharia law. Be very careful. Be very, very careful and I'm not a very religious man. I can, tell the difference.

chasboy
chasboy 08/08/10 - 10:16 am
You know guys when I wrote

You know guys when I wrote this leter it was only to recieve comments that could help me understand more about the Bible. I have read it but I must admit some of the stories just don't make sense in this day and age. For instance the Old Testament is full of violence and being a peaceful person I found it very troubling. I have nothing against Christianity. In fact I'm jealous of people who seem to have faith come to them so easily. When I played secular music it was all about the money and ego but when I joined a Christian band we pray before rehearsals and definitely before shows. I found that very comforting. 5 guys holding hands in a circle and praying to God to guide our hands and voices and hopefully touch someone in the audience. It was a completely different way of approaching my music and it warmed my heart. Our egos were not involved. We just wanted to play to God. Our name Men Like Trees Walking like I said came from the book of Mark 8:24 when Jesus put spit on a blind mans eyes and asked him what he saw. He said he saw Men Like Trees Walking. Then Jesus put more spit on his eyes and everything became clear to the man. His sight was restored. Our band kind of felt like that man. You see we are all recovering alcoholics and drug addicts who can finally see clearly. Please don't chastise me because I don't know the Bible that well. I grew up Catholic and for some reason they never really spent a lot of time on it. Just a passage here and there. They were big on handing out guilt though. It kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about Christianity but I would never question anyones belief system. Maybe one day I'll have one too. Right now I'm confused about the Bible and it's meaning but I absolutely believe in God. I always have and I always will.
Please forgive me for my letter. I can see how it might have come out like I was putting Christianity down but nothing could be further from the truth.
I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday and if you want to hear my band, again the address is MySpace.com/johnglovertunes
God Bless