Ron Cross can't get us over the hump

I have read many letters and comments in recent days praising the performance of Ron Cross as Columbia County Commission chairman. Mr. Cross praises himself for supposedly not raising taxes (debatable), and has the support of many in Columbia County's "good ol' boy" network of lifetime politicians.

For me, however, the decision is simple. Every day when I leave my home, I get 18 reminders of why I simply cannot vote for Mr. Cross. They are in the form of huge globs of asphalt that the Traffic Engineering Department calls speed humps. As commission chairman, Mr. Cross owns the speed hump policy that is ruining neighborhoods, lowering property values, and damaging vehicles all over the county.

For those who believe my choice of commission chairman should not be decided on a speed hump policy, I invite you to move into my neighborhood, or any other neighborhood that has been ruined by our county officials.

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/18/10 - 05:11 am
His time has come, and this

His time has come, and this time let's try to get someone that isn't beholding to the developers. Let's try and elect someone who has successfully run a business, and I don't mean into the ground.
How do you continue to make bad personal business decisions, and your net worth keeps increasing? Hmmmmmmmm I Wonder!

ColCo
ColCo 07/18/10 - 08:08 am
Check with your neighborhood

Check with your neighborhood association, I believe that the criteria for speed humps in the county involves traffic counts and a request from the association before they can be installed. My neighborhood has been trying to get speed humps for years and we were told that our traffic count was not high enough. They are not done arbitrarily or just to hack you off. Since you list a Grovetown address, who knows, maybe Trudeau had it out for you.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/18/10 - 09:36 am
The speed humps are one of

The speed humps are one of the best things the county has ever done.

robnsnest
robnsnest 07/18/10 - 09:59 am
For Columbia County in the

For Columbia County in the Commission Chairman race...
Pull out your tax statement for the last 8 years, and specifically look at what you paid in 2009. The incumbent claims that taxes did not go up. They actually DID go up, but the incumbent blames it on the state. One of two things is true: Either the tax statement is difficult to decipher OR taxes did go up. These are the pure and simple facts.

JimCox
JimCox 07/18/10 - 08:47 pm
My assessment has dropped two

My assessment has dropped two years in a row, Columbia County voters approved projects that added to the base. If you don't want splost projects, vote no.

ssimpso2
ssimpso2 07/19/10 - 06:38 am
Dear Riverman1, your comment

Dear Riverman1, your comment leads me to believe that you are unaware that there are 2 types of speed bumps that have been put into various neighborhoods in Columbia County. The little upside-down trenches that are battering to a car's suspension and front end,(and YES, I DO slow down to a STOP when I go over one in my neighborhood because I don't want my car torn up) and then there are the larger, smoother ones that are car friendly found in the more affluent neighborhoods. As I have stated before on this forum, my neighborhood has very little turn-over and has been largely unaffected by the economic meltdown that has left so many of the homes in the pricier neighborhoods in foreclosure. You will find in neighborhoods such as mine, houses that have no mortgages, people with stable careers and conservative spending, our yards are well maintained and we are financially stable. We are the salt of Columbia County and these upside-down trenches placed in our neighborhoods are slaps in the faces of the people who have been here and built this county. Think about it Commissioner...FIX OUR SPEED BUMPS.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/19/10 - 07:28 am
Ssimpso2, you are right. I'm

Ssimpso2, you are right. I'm unaware of the type speed bumps you are referring to. I only know about the hump ones.

trimmy
trimmy 08/25/10 - 10:34 am
Just patch the problem with

Just patch the problem with asphalt. Why not let the police fix the problem? Most of the people who speed in the neighborhoods are the residents. Thats why they prefer the humps instead of tickets.

GRU researching liver cancer target

A new clue in a centuries-old debate about the role of inflammation in cancer could provide a unique target for deadly liver cancer and potentially other cancers as well, a researcher at Georgia ...