Thank the wealthy who pull the freight

Thank God for the wealthy who pay the lion's share of taxes, give the largest amounts to charitable causes and provide the most jobs.

A quick check of National Taxpayers Union statistics shows the following:

- The top 1 percent of income earners average $410,000 annually and pay 40 percent of all income taxes collected.

- The top 5 percent average $160,000 and pay 61 percent.

- The top 10 percent average $113,000 and pay 71 percent.

- The top 25 percent average $66,000 and pay 87 percent.

- The bottom 50 percent average $32,000 and pay only 3 percent; this includes the bottom 40 percent who pay no taxes and many who get a positive return from the rest of us.

This explains why the best thing we can do for the poor is not be one of them.

The poor are not poor because of the wealthy. Most are poor because of bad decisions. The first bad decision for most of the poor was failing to get a good education or job training, which has been available to all even if, God forbid, they had to work full-time and go to night school to get it.

Other bad decisions include having children outside of a stable marriage; overspending and not saving; a poor work ethic as expressed in the now not-so-popular song Take This Job and Shove It; and, of course, drug and alcohol abuse, and criminal activity.

Sure there are a small number who, through illness, accidents or just plain bad luck deserve our help. But the whining Democrats only want to blame the wealthy and raise more tax money to buy more votes from their freeloading constituents.

Democracy ends when voters learn they can vote themselves other people's money. Socialism ends when they run out of other people's money -- e.g., Greece and California.

soldout
soldout 07/01/10 - 09:20 pm
Amen and Amen; so good to

Amen and Amen; so good to read the truth every now and then.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 07/01/10 - 09:26 pm
Well said Mr.Davis.I work for

Well said Mr.Davis.I work for a company owned by a wealthy man. He worked hard to achieve his level of success and I don't begrudge him this.Especially when he signs my paycheck every week. Wealth envy is a tactic used by the left to pacify and excuse the laziness of leeches and moochers (excluding truly disabled people) who would rather whine about what someone else has than to actually work for what they need.
Until this mentality changes America is most likely doomed.

Chillen
Chillen 07/01/10 - 09:28 pm
Excellent letter Mr. Davis.

Excellent letter Mr. Davis. Bravo! Finally the whole truth and nothing but the truth. And some (cough cough, community organizers) say the "rich" aren't paying enough.

"I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." --Benjamin Franklin--

chascush
chascush 07/01/10 - 09:32 pm
soldout, I agree 100%. Mr.

soldout, I agree 100%. Mr. Davis a very good article. I never had a poor person give me a job. Hussein does not like the evil rich except the ones who support him like George Soros.

usafvet
usafvet 07/01/10 - 10:11 pm
Very good letter Mr. Davis.

Very good letter Mr. Davis. You would think that the multi-generational welfare receipients would be thankful for the wealthy. Instead they harbor hate and feel that they are owed part of other people's wealth. Of course, that is what dumbobama is advocating.

DanK
DanK 07/01/10 - 10:37 pm
Wow! Those who make more

Wow! Those who make more money pay more taxes than those who make less money. Really? Wow! What the numbers tell me is that 50% of the people in our country are so poor that they pay only 3% of the income taxes. 50%. I'd say it is ludicrous to try to argue that 50% of the people in this country are poor by choice, unemployed (or underemployed) by choice, and that it's all because they made bad decisions in the past.

KSL
KSL 07/01/10 - 11:09 pm
I'd say that 50% of the

I'd say that 50% of the people in this country are living well enough that they don't have to lift a finger to make it better.They are doing well and with the cheaters that they are surrounded by, they are doing a good bit better than a lot of hard working Americans.

I would say that they should be paying some sort of tax on the freebies they are getting. They should have a dog in the fight.

I've been a welfare caseworker and I know what I'm talking about.

Rhetor
Rhetor 07/02/10 - 03:43 am
Ah, yes, let us sympathize

Ah, yes, let us sympathize with the con artists at the big investment banks who got rich in 2008 by bringing our entire economy to its knees. I will sing their praises.

Rhetor
Rhetor 07/02/10 - 03:49 am
For the benefit of the

For the benefit of the math-impaired, let's remember that the Democrats enacted huge tax cuts and tax breaks for most Americans over the last 1-1/2 years. Yet the myth of the tax and spend Democrat lives on.

Rhetor
Rhetor 07/02/10 - 03:48 am
Yes, many poor people make

Yes, many poor people make poor choices. Please be aware that President Clinton already signed a law that abolished welfare as we remember it. There are still people who game the system (shame on them, and they should indeed be stopped) but the generational welfare state that had been spawned by the Great Society was repealed a long time ago.

Dixieman
Dixieman 07/02/10 - 03:54 am
FINALLY a letter in the AC

FINALLY a letter in the AC about economics that makes sense! Well done.

orgpsych
orgpsych 07/02/10 - 04:17 am
"Most are poor because of bad

"Most are poor because of bad decisions."

Mr. Davis, have you ever been poor?

This letter is a tired diatribe that has long ago been disproved, particularly in the current economic situation. There are many well-educated and well-intentioned people who cannot find a job. I know of several people holding masters degrees and loads of experience who can only find work in lawn care and other such jobs that certainly don't begin to touch their skills and intellect.

This ridiculous argument is trotted out often by those self-serving parasites, often invoking God's name, who have gained at the expense of others and don't want to be exposed to society for the leeches they are ... and certainly not to themselves for the hypocrites that they are. Should one of these evil and deserving poor people try to work their way upward they are too often pushed back "into their place" by these self-righteous parasites. I've watched it happen time and again.

There are those on public assistance who are scamming the system and deserve to be caught ... but this is not the majority.

There are those who are wealthy and honorable in their business dealings ... but this is not all wealthy people.

It's time to stop lumping people into bins just because you are too lazy or incapable of thinking any other way.

If you claim to be a Christian it is time to start acting like a Christian. I mean a real Christian, not the version espoused so often in here.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 07/02/10 - 04:28 am
Wow, stupid sure is popular.

Wow, stupid sure is popular. The cons of the big media work so good that the obvious is a secret. Let's just create more subsidy citizens to show how kindhearted we are. Punish the wealthy because they provide the jobs. What a philosophy.

carcraft
carcraft 07/02/10 - 04:49 am
orgpsych-Yes I was poor.

orgpsych-Yes I was poor. Rented a room from a friend, drove my car till it ran out of gas and then parked it till I could get money to fill it up. Went from job to job a lot of seasonal work. Went back to college, worked full time while going to college. Joined the military and got a masters degree and am doing quite will now. No it wasn't easy. I had nothing except a beat up old car until I got out of college at 28. The decisions we make determine where we go. I have done metal fabrication, drilled wells, surveyed, construction work and worked washing dishes and as an aid in a nursing home, bus boy and waiter . I never got a job from a poor person and lost jobs when folks went bankrupt. I read a saying in a book that kept me going "I was looking for a job when I found this one"! When I became a Christian it gave my life a lot more focus and got me out of drugs! The reality of the presences if Jesus Christ was a comfort!

justus4
justus4 07/02/10 - 06:08 am
...wonder where ol' Bernnie

...wonder where ol' Bernnie Madoff fits into the article writer's logic and how he was able to make complete fools of the Capitalist's talking points. If U steal 1 million dollars by fraud and pay 330,000 in taxes, then according to this article, U done good. Ha! The article is foolish and just regurgitating words heard throughout the day and night on non-minority airwaves.

Nativeson1
Nativeson1 07/02/10 - 06:39 am
Well, first off let me say my

Well, first off let me say my response is for the congregation of ameners who think this article is for them...First, understand the writer says thank the wealthy; he did not say thank the rich. Second, understand there is a big difference between the wealthy and the rich...A rich person (as far as money goes) will only have money, whereas a wealthy person will have sustainable wealth. The wealthy will always be wealthy, whereas a rich person can win the lottery and blow it by whatever vices his soul seeks. Lets see who is wealthy: The Hiltons (wealthy), Heinz heirs (wealthy), the Rockefellers (wealthy), the Waltons (wealthy), Donald Trump (wealthy)...Now do you honestly think these folks became wealthy via hard work? Now the rich: Tiger Woods (rich until his divorce is final, then he will be poor), Obama (rich), Perdue (rich but building wealth via questionable land purchases), Palin (rich), most atheletes and celebrities (rich)....Now that you know the difference understand you will never be wealthy via hard work alone, you need a good offshore bank and a slight erosion of ethics mostly to eventually become wealthy, and I will never thank the wealthy...This writer is relying on you to be willfully obtuse and think just being lazy will make you poor or just putting your head down and working hare everyday will make you wealthy...Wake up and smell the coffee brewing in the employee breakroom folks.... My mom worked for the state for 32 years and when she retired she had over 4000 sick hours in reserve, and she ain't wealthy, but she worked hard, really hard...Guess she should be happy to be lower middle class, and that makes her a democrat huh?? It's bigger than political parties folks, the trick is to make you think republicans are for the workers and the democrats are for the parasites...Truth is both parties need both and we the folks who work everyday are expendable ants battling over something bigger than us. All politicians are playing the game folks, stop swallowing the bait hook line and sinker everytime....

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/02/10 - 06:55 am
Nice letter....but nativeson

Nice letter....but nativeson does have a good point....all politics play the game. We are expendable ants battling in the big sea. We are fooled by the "headlines" on tv & don't always see the big picture. Get term limits on congress & vote people in to office to make the RIGHT changes in our everyday life..Just like native said... you can work hard for 32 years & still struggle to pay the bills. We are paying too many to sit & do nothing, they need a dog in the fight too. imho

soldout
soldout 07/02/10 - 07:15 am
Many are poor because they

Many are poor because they envy the rich. Many that envy the rich are making a heart judgement on the rich and that judgement comes back on themselves and causes them to remain in poverty. Many are poor because they are not givers but are greedy and don't follow God's principles in finances and giving. All battles are won in the spiritual realm before you see victory in the natural realm. Fixing the spiritual part of us will change our thinking and increase our chances of coming out of poverty. Poverty is fixed from the inside out. Jesus said the poor would always be with you and provided methods to help them because He knew in this world there will always be trouble, poverty and sickness but through Him you can overcome the world.

mary dits
mary dits 07/02/10 - 07:38 am
first off, i would like to

first off, i would like to take this opportunity to thank the wealthy. is billy morris wealthy? thanks!
and god bless you, mr. davis. jesus will be so proud of your letter.

"Way back in 1970, as the Stanford Center for the Study of Poverty and Inequality neatly charts, the nation’s top 100 CEOs took home just 39 times more pay than average workers. By 1995, top 100 CEO pay was outpacing average worker pay by 343 times. By 2000, at the height of the dot-com bubble, the nation’s 100 best-paid CEOs were pocketing an incredible 1,039 times average worker pay.

That gap did drop after the dot-com bubble burst. But top CEOs have since gained back a good bit of the ground they lost. We won’t have an exact read on the 2009 pay gap between top CEOs and average workers until later this year. Top 100 CEO pay may end up multiplying worker pay by 900 times over."

mary dits
mary dits 07/02/10 - 07:39 am
chascush
chascush 07/02/10 - 07:39 am
Nativeson1, “My mom worked

Nativeson1, “My mom worked for the state for 32 years and when she retired she had over 4000 sick hours in reserve, and she ain't wealthy, but she worked hard, really hard...Guess she should be happy to be lower middle class, and that makes her a democrat huh??”
If your mom worked for the state for 32 yrs and is lower middle class she didn’t handle her money very well. Your mom made her choices as we all do. I grew-up dirt poor but I worked for 50 years and still doing some work. I don’t have much but what I have I earned. I have friends and relatives that made a lot more money than I did. They made their choices and I made mine. I don’t begrudge them just because their choices turned out better than mine. It has become a GIVE ME world. Don’t worry guys Hussein is going to ‘spread the wealth around’.

mary dits
mary dits 07/02/10 - 07:41 am
and charts about money and

and charts about money and work and productivity.

dashiel
dashiel 07/02/10 - 08:09 am
Some people are called to do

Some people are called to do what they do (vocation). Would Mr. Davis consider that a bad decision? There's a difference between what you do and who you are.

mary dits
mary dits 07/02/10 - 08:30 am
mr. davis. what effect do

mr. davis. what effect do you think enron had on california?

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/02/10 - 08:36 am
I see "wealth envy" is alive

I see "wealth envy" is alive and well. The wealthy are told to shut up and pay those excessive taxes and are called "unpatriotic" by our idiot vice president if they utter a word in protest. Sure gives you incentive to go out there, work hard, take chances, and succeed, doesn't it? And to those who think the wealthy only got there by conning others, why don't you look at Barack Obama? Last time I looked, his book sales certainly qualified him for the status of rich. Nothing will "change" that.

soldout
soldout 07/02/10 - 08:53 am
Mr. Davis your letter is

Mr. Davis your letter is making people think and that is excellent. Many in poverty don't think there is a way out and you have given them answers. Remember the more truth in a letter the more names you will be called. Lies don't upset people; only the truth.

chascush
chascush 07/02/10 - 09:54 am
mary dits, the free market

mary dits, the free market system weeds out companies like Enron. Mary I see you keep up closely with how the rich are making out. Maybe if you put that effort into making money instead of envy of the rich you would be wealthier.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/02/10 - 09:41 am
There is just no logic and no

There is just no logic and no "fairness" to any national tax code that looks at one person and says "if you make a dollar I will take .40 cents", at a second person and says "if you make a dollar I will take .18 cents", and at a third person and says "if you make a dollar I will give you .05 cents". I'm sorry but it just does not pass the smell test for equal treatment under the law. Everyone, every person, every corporation, needs to pay an equal amount of tax on every dollar of income. The "rich" and the corporations would still pay most of the income tax but everyone needs to be putting skin in the game equally. Rich people will always pay most of the tax but they should not pay most of the tax while others pay none of the tax and some actually receive our tax money while contributing nothing. I know this will not sit well with the Communist Democrat "let's crush the rich" party but what would you expect from those who worship at the alter of Socialism and "wealth redistribution"?

Chillen
Chillen 07/02/10 - 09:45 am
rhetor, not everyone who is

rhetor, not everyone who is successful is a "con man". I started with nothing, built a business and am considered successful. I have never, ever cheated or misled anyone along the way.

If you look hard enough you'll find that most successful people fit into my category. The glass isn't aways half empty you know. Attack the wealthy. You tow the party line to a tee.

Don't forget. If the wealthy give up and decide it's not worth it or move, what will this nation be left with? Not much of a tax base, that's for sure. The chaos as the "poor" & downtrodden lose their benefits would be alarming.

Be careful what you wish for, it just might happen.

reader54
reader54 07/02/10 - 10:12 am

Thank the poor that fight the war.

Vietnam veteran writes book on 319th Transportation Co.

"Vietnam Convoy Trucker" recounts the fear, boredom and humor faced while delivering supplies to American troops battling the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong.