Both political parties draw equal disgust

I never imagined in my 58 years that I would see our country and the world in such deplorable shape.

I've for years considered myself Republican, but I'm so disgusted with both parties, I've decided to be an independent. The Democrats are busy defending their actions, and the GOP is trying everything to regain power. In the meantime, nothing is getting done. They are so out of touch with their constituents' needs.

I'm asking all elected politicians to do what's right and spend less time worrying about getting elected for another term. I'm all for term limits. If you can't get it done in one term, you're out. Period.

Arden Lowndes

Martinez

OnlyinAgs
OnlyinAgs 06/30/10 - 07:15 am
Mr. Lowndes if you were a

Mr. Lowndes if you were a republican simply or a democrat simply, you may have had some responses back in agreement with you. But since you are an independent your letter fell on deaf ears.

lsmith
lsmith 06/30/10 - 07:35 am
Politicians of today are NOT

Politicians of today are NOT interested in serving people, not even their constituents. It's all about building a political career and power base. Pander to the left and pander to the right, say what you think people want to hear and take their money. Self perpetuating political machines is all they are. They exist purely to keep themselves in office and to gather wealth. Republicans are bad, Democrats are worse because they pander to anyone who will keep them in power, whether it be gays, illegal aliens, unions, political activists, and the most offensive exploitation of the poor and disadvantaged whom now feel they have nowhere else to go to keep the public dole coming.
Throw them all out, elect new ones and give them two terms period and then let them go back into the population and be real people again.
Our fore fathers never intended that serving in congress would become an occupation. You serve your country and move on and let new blood come in. But, we all know this will never happen. We keep the vultures in office till they're wheeled around in a wheel chair and in diapers. IE Robert Byrd. This guy has been ineffective and senile for a decade, why on earth would W Virg waste a seat keeping the old fossil around?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 06/30/10 - 07:37 am
Your frustration is obvious,

Your frustration is obvious, Arden. It's also nation wide. Have you noticed the TEA party movement is made up of former Repubs and Dems? People who just want the constitution to be followed, the federal spending to be reduced and the power to reduce individualism and personal liberties to be cut back severely. The T E A is "taxed enough already".

Term limits and the fair tax plan would go a long way toward solving most of these problems.

Rhetor
Rhetor 06/30/10 - 07:58 am
This is, of course, the

This is, of course, the result that the Republicans were hoping for with their policy of obstruction in Congress. Maybe this cynical approach will come back to bite them.

slippery 25
slippery 25 06/30/10 - 08:11 am
Your pain is felt, term

Your pain is felt, term limits would be great. Our debt is at an all time high and increasing with every bill those clowns pass.

Techfan
Techfan 06/30/10 - 08:28 am
57% Repub, 28% Ind, and 13%

57% Repub, 28% Ind, and 13% Dem.

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/30/10 - 09:21 am
Gee RHETOR, you just had to

Gee RHETOR, you just had to spew a little poison at the Republicans, didn't you? We keep forgeting that the Democrats are flying around with angels' wings. FYI, DEMS are the ones in power now, so guess who the voters are blaming for the mess we're in.

Dixieman
Dixieman 06/30/10 - 09:58 am
Mr Lowndes - Do you REALLY

Mr Lowndes - Do you REALLY think the Dems are less of a problem (or an equal problem) to the Reps? Which party stands for more government, higher taxes, weaker national defense? If you still think they are equal, you are beyond help...

cparker
cparker 06/30/10 - 10:15 am
This is my view as well. I

This is my view as well. I don't feel any political party represents my expectation. I have become more and more independent because both parties spend to much time trying to blame others for their failures. While the blame game continues, nothing gets done. Neither Democrat or Republican offer responsible choices anymore. From crazy Tea partiers or Conservative Congressional members that have unanimously voted against every single bill presented to them since Obama got elected is total non-sense to me. I am equally disgusted with Democrats willingness to legislate immorality. I don't feel they should place such emphasis on repelling "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". I really don't know what to make of a gay pastor, especially not a gay pastor leading prayer service during the inauguration ceremony. I thought I would like Obama better than I do. He is a better choice than Bush/Cheney, but he is starting to stink even if he wants everyone to believe its not his fault.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/30/10 - 10:39 am
Regardless or party they are

Regardless or party they are all either Crooks or Communists or some combination of both. Given the choice, I vote for the Crooks because at least they have sense enough to leave enough to in the pot to feed the kitty. As the past 1 1/2 years have shown, the Communists will starve the kitty and all of us along with it. This morning the CBO testified that our debt is much worse than projected, Obamacare will cost MUCH more than projected, and that we are in serious trouble if we don't cut spending and RAISE taxes, which we all knew would happen when Obama/Pelosi/Reid took over. They won't cut spending but they will RAISE taxes if they still have the power after November. And it won't be just on people that earn over $250K. That's okay. I am ready for them. I have enough to last me the limited years I have left. I have put it where they can't get it and it will not incur any of their higher taxes. And I am sliding it off, a few dollars at a time, to my offspring in a way so that there will be no taxes and my "estate" will be below the "death tax" level. I will be fine, my spouse will be fine, and my offspring will be fine. But you young socialist voters, I don't think you are going to make it. I have seen your education level and your work ethic and you ain't gonna be able to pay da bills you, Obama, Pelosi, and Reid have incurred in the last few months. Because of your government education you are not smart enough to figure out that the older generation survived and prospered, not becaue of WHO was in power, but IN SPITE OF who was in power because we worked and saved and paid our own way. We paid our health insurance, our Medicare tax, and our SS tax, and our income tax, our mortgage, our food bill, and we still managed to save a little for retirement. You young socialist are expecting the government to provide you everything for free but there will be nobody left to pay the bills but you. Good luck with your socialism. Call Greece for advice in about 10 years. By then they should just about be in the middle of that long dark tunnel your little trolley car is headed into.

Chillen
Chillen 06/30/10 - 10:53 am
Mr. Lowndes, love the letter.

Mr. Lowndes, love the letter. In it you make a plea. "I'm asking all elected politicians to do what's right" That's like asking a baby not to cry or animals not to breathe. They just can't do it, they get elected, get in office & the power consumes them.

Excellent post dichotomy.

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/30/10 - 11:33 am
CPARKER, I never thought I'd

CPARKER, I never thought I'd agree with any of your views, but you're sure right about Obama. Only thing is, his "stink" as you put it, is more than starting. It's a national stench. I guess this is his idea of "change."

dominionfs
dominionfs 06/30/10 - 01:52 pm
Mr Lowndes submits a short,

Mr Lowndes submits a short, well reasoned and intelligent LTE expressing his disgust with both parties and Dixieman wants to argue about which stinks the worst. Perhaps it is Dixieman for who is beyond help. They both stink, discard them. Wishing you all a very happy Independents Day.

dashiel
dashiel 06/30/10 - 02:38 pm
Term limits is not the

Term limits is not the cure-all. It takes most representative two years to find their way from the House to the washroom and back. Might be a good idea for senators though. That way they could work on K Street with the lobbyists who used to be on their staff.