Remember dedicated, departed officers

In recent days I have been saddened on four occasions at the death of former Richmond County sheriff's deputies.

It started with the loss of former Lt. R.A. "Bob" Wylds. It was followed by the deaths of Sgt. David McFeely, Investigator Bill Adams and, finally, former Lt. Willie Mingledolph.

It has been many years since I wore the uniform, but I have always maintained deep respect for the men who swore an oath and put on the badge. All dedicated a portion of their lives to protect the lives and property of the citizens of Richmond County.

I remember the time Sgt. McFeely dove into a septic pond to save the life of a child. As he pulled the young boy from the filth, he initiated CPR in a attempt to save the child's life. There were no large groups of people or photographers there -- only a few deputies.

All of these officers served the people of the CSRA in their own way. These four, along with Billy Eubanks, make five deputies to leave their loved ones in the last year.

Each worked to make this area a better place to live, and I will miss them all.

I am a better man for having known them. Each of you is safer for the dedication they made to their jobs and the people they protected.

James D. Jordon Jr.

Augusta

Nightwing
Nightwing 06/26/10 - 01:52 am
God bless and protect our law

God bless and protect our law enforcement as they go about their work. Pray for the families of those who have served and have passed from us.

Georgialina
Georgialina 06/26/10 - 03:04 am
I too knew the four deputies

I too knew the four deputies as well as James Jordon the author of this article and I can say that Richmond County is a much better place because of these men and many other fine deputies. I thank each and every one for their dedication and often thankless service. Thank you James for reminding us that these four (five including "Fast" Billy Eubanks) and several others who have gone on from this earth, served the citizens of Richmond County well.

chunkemom
chunkemom 06/26/10 - 07:59 am
Remembering James B.

Remembering James B. McCahill. 14 years of service with the Augusta Police Department. We are proud of you and miss you Daddy.
Love, Barbara Ann McCahill-Viera, Grandchildren, and your
Great-Grandchildren.

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/26/10 - 08:58 am
The blue line may be thin,

The blue line may be thin, but it's still there, and each of us owes a big thank you to law enforcement for trying to keep us safe from the animals in our society with no respect for others.

Chillen
Chillen 06/26/10 - 05:32 pm
I have nothing but respect

I have nothing but respect for those who put their lives on the line every single day they go to work.

georgiaranger
georgiaranger 07/02/10 - 08:47 am
Yes, Inv. Bill Adams, Sgt.

Yes, Inv. Bill Adams, Sgt. David McFeely, Inv. Billy Eubanks, and the author Lt. James Jordan, were all very fine peace officers. They served the Sheriff's Office well and deserve to be recognized for their service.

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for Lt. Willie Mingledolph. Around 1980, he killed an innocent young man named Gray Memory while driving drunk on Olive Road. The facts speak for themselves...

georgiaranger
georgiaranger 07/02/10 - 08:52 am
I accidently left out Lt. Bob

I accidently left out Lt. Bob Wylds. Sorry for the omission "Lt. Golden Voice."

DaVitte slaying suspect still in Florida

A month after the slaying of 55-year-old Bill DaVitte, suspect Daniel Nelson Robinson, 21, remains in a Jacksonville, Fla., detention facility.