We must protect our Constitution

If we don't start paying attention to how Washington is shredding our Constitution, the extent of our rights will be, "Sit down, shut up, do what you're told and pay taxes."

Protecting the Constitution is our duty. We can't pick and choose the parts we like and ignore the rest. Going to the polls and voting isn't enough.

The Constitution is a simple document with tremendous powers, if we take the time to protect it from Congress. The Constitution defines the powers of federal and state governments, but governments at all levels have slowly eroded and blurred the true meaning of personal rights.

All Americans and liberty-seeking organizations should take notice of the words "United we stand; divided we fall." The Fair Tax, the Tea Party and the National Rifle Association are some examples of organizations championing their causes while refusing to join together to protect our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Washington will love and protect us to death if we allow government to continue business as usual.

The Constitution was written to protect us from government intrusion into our private rights, not to serve the ambitions of politicians. "Do the right thing" and "politicians" are words not normally found in the same sentence. The driving force behind all politics is to be re-elected, so unless the political parties change, do not vote for their candidates.

Arlie Smith

Harlem

lsmith
lsmith 06/06/10 - 10:31 am
Obama fully intends to

Obama fully intends to rewrite the constitution by whatever means is expedient.

Respect for the Commander In chief? Hmmmm....that's a doozy! I do respect the office and responsibility of the job. I do NOT however respect the person now in that capacity, and I daresay not many of our military people do either. They are required by decorum to not publicy disparage the commander, but fortunately they are not deaf, dumb or blind, they see him for who is.I don't think I can recall there ever being a more unconnected Commander of our military.

I am not bound by any rules of decorum and I think he's a joke, a travesty, a liar, an imposter and a communist and I will attach the word president to him only when he becomes EX President.

corgimom
corgimom 06/06/10 - 11:13 am
All this nonsense about "not

All this nonsense about "not respecting Obama as Commander in Chief' is just ridiculous. Obama doesn't care one whit whether somebody in Augusta, GA respects him as CiC. He doesn't care if every person in the military doesn't respect him.

All he cares about is votes. I hate to break it to people, but the vast majority of people are NOT in the military, are not from a military background, and don't care too much about his role as CiC; they are far more concerned with the economy and entitlements.

Being in the military is a culture, and when you're in it, it's very intense, rich and rewarding. But the overwhelming number of people in the US aren't part of the military, and don't focus on it anymore. It's not like it used to be, where nearly every family had someone in the service.

butler123
butler123 06/06/10 - 12:23 pm
Read the Cloward Piven

Read the Cloward Piven Stragedy/Obama, nuff said!

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/07/10 - 02:46 pm
The Constitution has NO

The Constitution has NO power. Not the least bit of power at all. It can no more give you rights, than this text box I am typing into right now. It is people who grant and restrict the rights of other people. While the Constitution was a wonderful document, MOST people have lost COMPLETE sight of what made this country wonderful. That idea was simple. It was that for the first time in history, the governed were the governors. Each citizen was a sovereign ruler of his, and later her, country. Vote or Die? Get out and Vote? LOL, while voting is an enormous privilege, do you really believe in the almighty vote? You vote for President, you vote for Congress; yet, regardless of who takes on those titles, the vast majority of politicians disregard their constituents wishes once they are elected. In effect, though we have politicians in Washington, we suffer "Taxation WITHOUT representation."; and we suffer legislation with no voice; and we walk like lemmings to the steps of our leaders, following their wishes blindly, knowing that the few leaders can't force the millions of masses to obey laws which go against common sense; yet, we don't have the convictions and fortitude to just say, "No". To the gentleman who responded regarding the Constitution by simply saying that people should put on a uniform instead of complaining, that is the most ludicrous statement I have ever heard. Do you really think by joining the military and killing some people in a foreign land, you are in any way defending the Constitution? Rome didn't fall because of external pressures; it fell because of internal strife. Perhaps you should remember the oath you took:"I, _____, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

So what happens if the enemies of the Constitution are your superiors? Do you defend the Constitution or Obey your Commanding Officers?

afskyefan
afskyefan 06/07/10 - 06:02 pm
I took that oath and never

I took that oath and never once did I think it somehow limited the use of my own intellect. The policies of the government in this country are open to examination and criticism by its citizenry. To say that if you voted for the other side you should not critique or criticize the president or his policies is ludicrous. Winning an election is not a free pass to some Utopian office free from the scrutiny of both sides of the electoral body.

The constitution is the backbone of this republic. The founders of this country knew it would need protection from those that would attempt to usurp our liberties through legislative or executive power. The Judicial branch is that protection. Presidents, congressmen and justices will come and go, but our constitution will stand. But only so long as we, the citizens of this country, labor to protect it.

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/08/10 - 11:23 am
@afskyefan - Glad to see

@afskyefan - Glad to see someone else understands that it is the citizens who are charged with protecting their Constitutional rights, and don't get me wrong, I agree with 99% of what you have said; however, let me pose a question to one of your other statements. "The Judicial branch is that protection." If this is so, then why are the Supreme Court Justices selected by the president, and approved by Congress? Doesn't it seem odd to you that the Executive and Legislative branches are elected by the citizens; yet, the ones who are interpreting the law are chosen by public officials instead of by the citizens? Oh my, what a terrible flaw in the checks and balances system; those who create the law and enforce the law get to choose who interprets the law.

afskyefan
afskyefan 06/08/10 - 12:22 pm
Wildcat, I cannot disagree

Wildcat, I cannot disagree with your concern. I can only imagine that the founders thought it might be a bad practice for judges to be elected. Perhaps it was overly idealistic of them to want judges to be above pandering for votes. Perhaps this is why they stipulated that justices, once appointed, serve for life. So that they might perhaps be free from bonds and alliances to elected officials that will come and go. Not a perfect system, but it's what they gave us. We fail to protect it when we allow these career politicians to set up their little kingdoms in Washington. They will never term limit themselves, so we should be doing it with the ballot.

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/09/10 - 10:00 am
Well stated afskyefan. As for

Well stated afskyefan. As for term limits, I agree with you.