We don't need more taxes for schools

The Aiken County school board is trying to push a $236 million bond referendum through, it appears, at breakneck speed, before voters know all the facts.

Something this big should be voted for in a general election, not a primary, where voter turnout typically is extremely low. The bond issue is being pushed in a slick ad campaign "for the kids," vilifying anyone opposing this as against the kids.

I am a lifelong resident of North Augusta, and a 1984 North Augusta High School graduate who has a senior at NAHS and an 8-year-old future NAHS student. I am adamantly opposed to the additional tax. The facility is close to 40 years old, but could be retrofitted to accommodate for new technology.

We are supposed to blindly sign off on this massive tax burden without even knowing where this new school will be located or what it will look like? This is akin to a business owner going to the bank and requesting money for capital investment without a business plan as to how the money would be spent. How far would this go in the real world?

In this economic climate, the Aiken County school board needs to look internally before requesting a bailout from taxpayers.

Jeff Siverhus

North Augusta, S.C.

Rhetor
Rhetor 05/25/10 - 06:06 am
I would agree that the school

I would agree that the school folks could have explained the bond issue better, but the need is obvious. Our county's children are attending classes in buildings that aren't even fit for animals. As a parent, you should already know this.

Chillen
Chillen 05/25/10 - 08:49 am
I, as well as most Americans,

I, as well as most Americans, attended school in crappy, old buildings.

We learned what we needed to learn despite not having shiny surroundings & the latest technology.

Our kids had better get used to the "new normal" because it is upon us.

DaddyFrog
DaddyFrog 05/25/10 - 08:57 am
I don't know about the whole

I don't know about the whole county, but the schools are not that bad in NA. I never went to an air-conditioned school in my whole 12 years. I guess I didn't know how bad I had it. The school board wants to spend $7,000,000 for a football complex. They need to be raising teachers pay so maybe these kids will be able to read when they get out of school. They all can't play in the NFL. Spending $236,000,000 with the economy in the condition it's in is crazy. Home owners had better get to the polls. It will be too late to cry tomorrow.

corgimom
corgimom 05/25/10 - 01:10 pm
I invite anyone who thinks

I invite anyone who thinks that NAHS doesn't need to be replaced- to go stand in the halls during class changes. The overcrowding and danger is obvious. It was frightening. If there's ever a true emergency, they won't be able to evacuate the buildings promptly. And that was over 10 years ago, it's much worse now- the population has significantly increased.

Mr. Siverhus, what price do you put on safety?

North Augusta has changed dramatically in 40 years- who would think that a school built 40 years ago would now be adequate?

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 05/25/10 - 01:25 pm
When nearly a quarter of the

When nearly a quarter of the bond is going to be used to build non-academic buildings you have a very fiscally irresponsible school board.

apex24
apex24 05/25/10 - 05:21 pm
Corgi, I guess you're another

Corgi, I guess you're another bleeding heart who thinks that throwing money at education will solve everything. So you want to spend our tax money thinking that a building could not be evacuated. That says a lot about education in the last "40 years".

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 05/25/10 - 05:03 pm
The surest indication

The surest indication something has no merit on its own is those wanting it demand it, "for the children-" and that includes the school system's unending bottomless appetite for funds. Real, adjusted for inflation, dollars for education have doubled in the past decades while school achievement has gone down at virtually that same rate --or would be seen to be so if unbiased tests like the SAT had not been 'adjusted.'

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 08:51 am

iletuknow
iletuknow 05/25/10 - 10:57 pm
An ill timed,ill conceived

An ill timed,ill conceived crude plan to rob the homeowners of Aiken County by a bunch of inexperienced clowns.

jbrent_bullock
jbrent_bullock 05/26/10 - 09:40 pm
More money and more

More money and more technology will not save the schools in Aiken County, Georgia or Zapata County, Texas. When parents, students, teachers, and administrators get over this wave of secular progressive non-sense, and recall that we are all accountable before God, then we will see some "progress".

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...