Racism obsession spoils columnist

Syndicated columnist Eugene Robinson is at least consistent.

He could write a food recipe, pen a tribute to the coming of spring or report on an athletic contest and still find a way to lament the pains of racism.

Robinson is, without doubt, one of the worst writers I have ever tried to read -- mainly because, without fail, he sees a racist behind the tiniest bush.

I believe Robinson was gifted with a Pulitzer Prize for commentary. If so, I can only regard it as another example of alternative action journalism. He certainly didn't get it for his writing abilities and reporting skills.

grouse
grouse 05/22/10 - 11:01 pm
Carl, as a former

Carl, as a former newspaperman, you should be able to write a better letter than that, one with illustrating examples to prove your point. As a white man, I'm reasonably sure you never had to deal with racism.

Tigger_The_Tiger 05/23/10 - 07:23 am
"As a white man, I'm

"As a white man, I'm reasonably sure you never had to deal with racism." What is that supposed to mean? Every day, white men deal with racism. White men are the only group that it is LEGAL to discriminate against. Ever heard of Affirmative Action?

Besides...I didn't see Mr Langley disclose his race anywhere in the letter...........could it be racism to make the assumption?

Tigger_The_Tiger 05/23/10 - 07:36 am
If a white man is given extra

If a white man is given extra points toward admission in college, his black counterpart can sue. If he is given fewer points, he has to just deal with it, because the school was simply following their AA policy.

southernguy08
southernguy08 05/23/10 - 07:49 am
Mr. Langely, Eugene sees

Mr. Langely, Eugene sees racism because he is a racist. TIGGER, great posts. Yes, when you refuse a job or entrance into a school because an applicant is AA, it is discrimination. When you do the same to a EA(European American), it is "Affirmative Action." Same dung, different label.

grouse
grouse 05/23/10 - 10:08 am
Carl worked at the newsaper

Carl worked at the newsaper the same time I did. I'm sure he's still white. Come to think of it, there were no black reporters or editors, hardly any black anything (except custodial) when I worked there in the '70s. That's just a fact.

Tigger_The_Tiger 05/23/10 - 10:10 am
I apologize then....but the

I apologize then....but the statement that because he is a while male means he has never had to deal with racism is patently untrue.

grouse
grouse 05/23/10 - 10:12 am
Oh and trying to compare a

Oh and trying to compare a the "racism" experience of a white man of a certain age to a black man of a certain age is just idiotic. I remember a segregated Augusta very well.

Chillen
Chillen 05/23/10 - 10:16 am
White males are the most

White males are the most discriminated group in the US right now. And it has been that way for years.

In the late 1980's I live in Wash. DC for 5 years. A friend from Georgia came to stay with me for a few weeks. He got his college degree in some field that lended itself to a civil service/govt job. He wanted to work for the government in DC.

He came up, started interviewing, got nowhere. He finally contacted a headhunter who specialized in finding people federal/govt jobs. He was told not to bother trying unless he has a political connection. He told him flat out that "white males" can forget about getting a federal government jobs. They are handed out to minorities and women.

My white male friend left and did not get a government job. How's that for racial discrimination?

Tigger_The_Tiger 05/23/10 - 10:53 am
Chillen...you are correct.

Chillen...you are correct. Can you name another group that can LEGALLY be discriminated against?

ekharonne
ekharonne 05/23/10 - 11:00 am
"Ye shall reap what ye hath

"Ye shall reap what ye hath sowed"

Tigger_The_Tiger 05/23/10 - 11:04 am
What did I sow?

What did I sow?

Tigger_The_Tiger 05/23/10 - 11:08 am
Nice, vengeful attitude, I

Nice, vengeful attitude, I might add.........2 wrongs make a right?

southernguy08
southernguy08 05/23/10 - 11:34 am
TIGGER, don't you know?

TIGGER, don't you know? Liberals are never wrong...they just aren't 100% right all the time.

ekharonne
ekharonne 05/23/10 - 11:44 am
Tigger, I'm confused by your

Tigger, I'm confused by your response. Surely you don't think I'm speaking to you personally. The quote I mentioned in my previous post is From the Bible, Galatians VI (King James Version). In what way would you find it vengeful. I was talking about 350 yrs. of slavery and ca. 100 yrs of Jim Crow. I wasn't addressing right nor wrong. What I'm saying is that perhaps now you and people that look like you might experience the type bigotry and discrimination, in some measure, that minorities experienced. However, I do believe in the verse I quoted. Don't you?

Tigger_The_Tiger 05/23/10 - 11:47 am
Who is alive today that is

Who is alive today that is reaping what they sowed? Why are innocent people being punished for the misdeeds of their ancestors?

ekharonne
ekharonne 05/23/10 - 12:03 pm
Hey, why should I continue to

Hey, why should I continue to respond to your sophmoric rhetoric? How
about addressing some of the content in my previous post. Being from privledged ancestory, you probably won't experience the kind of bigotry
minorities experienced. How's about this one: "what goes around comes around". Have you ever use thta one?

Tigger_The_Tiger 05/23/10 - 12:07 pm
What is sophomoric about my

What is sophomoric about my statements? The kind of bigotry I have experienced is that there are laws that mandate that I be discriminated against. That is a fact, not rhetoric.

Tigger_The_Tiger 05/23/10 - 12:08 pm
"what goes around comes

"what goes around comes around" would only apply if I personally was the instituter of racial discrimination.

ekharonne
ekharonne 05/23/10 - 12:17 pm
"The kind of bigotry I have

"The kind of bigotry I have experienced is that there are laws that mandate that I be discriminated against". Do you mean kinda like the laws my ancestors and I, being 66yrs old, experienced during Jim Crow?
Quote a couple of laws that discriminate against you?

Tigger_The_Tiger 05/23/10 - 12:21 pm
Yes...that is exactly what I

Yes...that is exactly what I mean. It may not be to the same degree, but the discrimination is there none the less. Affirmative action mandates that race be taken into account in hiring, and promotions. There is a law that discriminates against me.

ekharonne
ekharonne 05/23/10 - 12:30 pm
If the word race is used as

If the word race is used as you used it in your post, how is it interpreted as white males need not apply? By-the-way, affirmative action hasn't been in the news lately. No doubt it will be an issue this fall.

Tigger_The_Tiger 05/23/10 - 12:33 pm
Affirmative action applies to

Affirmative action applies to women and minorities. That excludes white males.

ekharonne
ekharonne 05/23/10 - 12:40 pm
Does the law specifically say

Does the law specifically say women and minorities? show me where it applies to gender. Wasn't this law adopted to remedy discrimination? The
intent of this law was to level the playing field in which if you ask me is still not level. Are you telling me you can't find a job because of Affirmative Action?

Tigger_The_Tiger 05/23/10 - 12:53 pm
Yes it does. Federal law

Yes it does. Federal law states that any company that has a government contract MUST have an Affirmative Action policy in effect to ensure that women and minorities are not under-represented.

Leveling the playing field would be to strictly institute EEO, which puts NO regard to race or gender, among other qualities.

And no...that's not what I'm saying...but I and others have been passed over for promotion because of AA.

ekharonne
ekharonne 05/23/10 - 01:35 pm
Tigger, so you were passed

Tigger, so you were passed over in favor of a less qualified woman or minority. Well you might be right. Statistics shows that white women benefited much more from AA than minorities. But I get the feeling that you are more concerned about the intended benefit to minorities. So you think that Affirmative Action, Civil Rights, Workers with Disabilities Act, Social Security ( discriminate against workers), should be repeal? I'm sure you meant EEOC. People against AA rather believe that no woman or minority is better qualified than they mainly because of the history of white priviledge. Title IV of the Civil Rights Act of 64 is a part of the provisions of the EEOC. The EEOC was established in '65 to investigate complaints connected to race, gender disabilities etc. Did you file a complaint?

ohhsweetconcord
ohhsweetconcord 05/23/10 - 01:37 pm
Poor poor white man. When is

Poor poor white man. When is he ever gonna check a break?

Tigger_The_Tiger 05/23/10 - 04:02 pm
Ohsweetconcord, your attitude

Ohsweetconcord, your attitude is what perpetuates racism and sexism. 2 wrongs do NOT make a right.

And no...I'm so much concerned with intended benefits to minorities. My concern is that Affirmative Action takes into account something OTHER than a person's abilities when it comes to hiring and promotions. That is a racist and sexist policy. And yes....I filed a complaint and it was all but ignored. I never made any claim that the person promoted wasn't qualified at all...just that I was more qualified, as was indicated by the ranking on the interview board. The interview boards rankings were re-ordered based on race and gender alone, not even looking at the resumes. Does that sound fair?

Chillen
Chillen 05/23/10 - 04:11 pm
I'd love to see some

I'd love to see some statistics on what percentage of each race works for the federal government (excluding non-elected & appointed positions). I'd also like to see the same number for females vs males.

Bottom line. The best person for the job should be hired. This is the year 2010. Not 1970. End of Story.

ekharonne
ekharonne 05/23/10 - 04:24 pm
If you say so Tigger. Nothing

If you say so Tigger. Nothing on these posts can be verified. You as well as me, can post anything to support an argument. " Every day, white men deal with racism". The Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines racism as a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority or inferiority of a particular racial group, and that it is also the prejudice based on such a belief. Racism occurs when one race has the power to control the upward mobility of another race. So you are saying that minorities are now doing to whites what whites historically has done to blacks? I personally don't see it because minorities still today don't have the power to deny the quality of life that whites historically denied to minorities.

ekharonne
ekharonne 05/23/10 - 04:44 pm
Chillen, when I was a young

Chillen, when I was a young man looking for a job, I wish the kind of thinking you aspouse now on behalf of those, assuming you look like Tigger, was prevalent. Laws had to be passed in order for those that look like me and had the qualification I had could compete. Wish you were around then instead of your ancestors generically speaking.

2.1% inflation expected

ATLANTA -- Business executives in the Southeast see inflation a little higher than the Federal Reserve does, according to a survey released Friday.