Woman recalls Tea Party differently

I had the pleasure of meeting Mary Schorsch at the April 15 Tea Party on Augusta Common. She was polite, but evasive when I inquired about the piece of paper she handed me -- which was a card inviting the bearer to provide private information and request a discontinuation of federal benefits.

I read it -- and I blew it off. Had she taken the time to discuss it with me or anyone else, she may have found that she has more in common with the Tea Party movement than she realizes.

However, I do question her choice of friends. Her "friend" approached me and proceeded to ask me about my sign. My sign read, "Christian First, American Second, Conservative Third." She asked me why I had "Christian" first. I told her that I am a follower of Jesus and that I try to live my life under his guidance first. She then asked me what I would think about God if God was a black woman with one eye and a lesbian. I told her that if it made her feel better to believe that, then that was her privilege.

I have no idea why she would feel inclined to ask me such an offensive question, other than to try to engage me into some sort of confrontation. Fortunately, neither God nor my beliefs need defending, and I blew her off also.

As far as the Tea Party being a "private party," if her only reason for attending these events is to offend people or to stir up confrontation and anger, then she is not welcome, and in that respect they are "private." It was her intentions that brought down the wrath of some of the attendees.

We were peaceful and would have been willing to listen to her point of view if she had expressed it in a calm, intelligent manner. Ms. Schorsch and her friend chose to be subversive and antagonistic -- therefore, they received the attention they desired.

Arlene Candy

Martinez

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 05/04/10 - 11:40 pm
If your God nor your beliefs

If your God nor your beliefs need defending then you wouldn't be imploring the government to constantly support them from providing tax-exempt status for your church to formally recoginizing National Days of Prayers (i.e Chrisitianity Awareness Day) to fighting for your religion to be on display in public buildings to the fight for having your religion taught in public schools and so on and so forth.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/05/10 - 01:00 am
If y'all libs ever have some

If y'all libs ever have some kind of rally, you won't find conservatives there making trouble. Y'all would beat the heck out of us.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/05/10 - 01:26 am
I don't remember any

I don't remember any conservative protestors at Clinton's visits. At Planned Parenthood there are no liberals demonstrating. That's a conservative thing.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 05/05/10 - 02:37 am
Most liberals simply can't

Most liberals simply can't handle the truth or choose to bury their head in the sand.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/05/10 - 06:04 am
Some people remain quiet and

Some people remain quiet and are thought to be intelligent, others open their mouths and prove their relation to the southbound end of a northbound mule!

southernguy08
southernguy08 05/05/10 - 06:29 am
GROUSE, I wish you had been

GROUSE, I wish you had been at a speech Bush gave in Atlanta in 2007. There were a number of AA men with "(blank) Bush" in bold letters printed on posters standing there. But no racism there I guess. Liberals are all in favor of opposing views, just as long as those views don't oppose them.

FaceTheMusic
FaceTheMusic 05/05/10 - 09:17 am
Sounds as if Ms. Candy did a

Sounds as if Ms. Candy did a lot of "blowing off" in her meeting with Ms. Schorsch. But, the baron is correct. If neither God nor her beliefs need defending, why does she need the government to support them--in the schools, national prayer days, public religious displays, etc.

chel
chel 05/05/10 - 09:20 am
@ Southern- wonder how Grouse

@ Southern- wonder how Grouse explains this:http://www.kfiam640.com/pages/jk2010.html. The pictures that the leftist media did not want anyone to see. Now if those type of signs were at the Tea Party meetings the outrage would be ten fold.

Runner46
Runner46 05/05/10 - 11:47 am
When people start with the

When people start with the "What if-s", I stop listening to them. Conjuring up all sorts of "What if-s" can lead one to seek a safe haven and never leave it for fear of the "What if-s" of life getting you. I would rather weigh the known facts and make my best decision for a course of action. People using the "What if" argument have run out of concrete objections to throw into a discussion. "What if-s" are a nice exercise when considering strategy, but to be constantly dwelling on them can only lead one to a complete emotional breakdown. Here is a fine example of the impossibilities of the "What if-s": "...what I would think about God if God was a black woman with one eye and a lesbian."

Chillen
Chillen 05/05/10 - 11:47 am
Mary Schorsch's nicey nice

Mary Schorsch's nicey nice letter to the editor from a few week ago looks kinda tainted now. The nerve of her writing in a letter to defend herself with half-truths.

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/05/10 - 11:50 am
Ms. Schorsch and her

Ms. Schorsch and her partner's visit was just another lame attempt by a couple of twit liberals to stir up an ugly incident for the benefit of all the left wing cameramen circulating in the crowd. It didn't work. There was no incident.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 05/05/10 - 12:34 pm
"What would I think about God

"What would I think about God if God was a black woman with one eye and a lesbian." Where do these people come from? I have never even met a person like this. This is the type of speech that is so offensive that it could be considered provocative enough to incite violence.

Kapa18
Kapa18 05/05/10 - 12:45 pm
Tea who? Dearest, this thing

Tea who? Dearest, this thing like most fads has pretty well blown over, replaced by more pressing issues. I have my submissions why the Augusta Chronicle keeps bringing up the issue but there not important enough for me to using typing strokes to discuss

DaddyFrog
DaddyFrog 05/05/10 - 01:48 pm
Ms.Schorsch handed me one of

Ms.Schorsch handed me one of those slips to fill out.I thought she had something to do with the Tea Party people.I read the thing & found her in the crowd & asked her what it was all about.She told me it was a protest.I told her I didn't come to protest or agree, but just to see what was going on.She seemed like a nice lady.I figured "Freedom of Speech", let her pass out whatever she wanted to as long as she wasn't disruptive.I didn't meet the other lady.People make hateful & nasty remarks about God, Jesus, & Christianity everyday.I don't argue with them.I just consider the source and go on.Christianity has been around for over 2,000 years now.There will always be some of us around.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/05/10 - 02:50 pm
Ms Candy, thank you for a

Ms Candy, thank you for a nicely written eye witness account of the event. People attending this gathering were being set up for a public fall with Mary's antics. They surprised her by being people of manners and good intentions. How strange it must have been for her to face. She most likely expected to meet the reactions of what Mary's fellow liberals would have rained upon a person of the opposite opinions would have greeted her with...What a disappointment for her that she didn't encounter the 'red necked hot heads' that she seemed to naively expect to encounter there. How terribly sad for her that despite her's and her friend's best efforts she failed to land national coverage of an 'incident'. She tried to engage the wrong crowd...

If she is looking for hate, bitterness, diversion, ignorance and anger then she ought to read Kevin Palmer's LTE today. She'd feel right at home.............

motorheadaches
motorheadaches 05/05/10 - 03:02 pm
The LTE is dead on and I

The LTE is dead on and I commend Ms. Candy for her response. Mary Schorsch was at the Tea Party to disrupt and antagonize. Even though her demeanor was calmer and less confrontational than the typical liberal hysteria at such rallies, her attitude was no less snide and smug.

Nightwing
Nightwing 05/05/10 - 03:44 pm
Some people will always

Some people will always attack, without relavance, what they do not understand. 'None so blind that will not see, none so deaf that will not hear."

c.james
c.james 05/05/10 - 06:14 pm
I have 2 words for you to

I have 2 words for you to remember about Mary Schorsch ; Martha Burke. WHO? Exactly.