Tea Party participant didn't crash it

I am writing this letter to correct an error reported in The Augusta Chronicle .

In the April 16 article "Tea Party serves seconds," it was stated I had a "tradition" of disrupting Tea Parties, when the truth is that I was there, both years, to express my personal views on taxation. I engaged in absolutely no disruptive behavior, nor did I interrupt or heckle anyone. This year, as last year, I handed out cards (see editor's note below). I was not collecting personal information from anyone. In fact, I repeatedly stated that the form was just to be read only. There was no return address on the cards.

My actions were completely independent of any group, and did not involve gathering any information. In the two hours I attended the Tea Party, I was friendly and civil to everyone and disruptive to no one. I was particularly glad that our publicly funded police force was there to protect me and my friend from the small angry group that was threatening us because we did not share their opinions.

As a taxpayer, I too am concerned about how my taxes are spent. Many government programs such as veterans' benefits, Medicare and Social Security are valuable services, and I wanted to make this point with the cards I was handing out. It is inconsistent to be on the receiving end of government-sponsored programs and not recognize that these are tax-supported.

The fundamental problem is that we demand our government provide more services than we are willing to pay for. Until we are willing to give up some of our personal benefits and/or pay more taxes, we will continue to have a huge deficit.

It is hard for me to see how my presence at a public gathering held in a city park supported by tax dollars could be interpreted by anyone as crashing a private party.

Mary Schorsch

Beech Island, S.C.

Editor's note: The aforementioned card, provided to The Chronicle by the letter writer, reads: "I want to give up my socialized government-run health care. Please take away my socialized, government-run health care benefits immediately. I have had enough of participating in socialist, government-run programs and want to discontinue coverage for myself and my family. Please remove me from these programs as quickly as you can. Thank you very much."

The card then provides blank spaces for someone to provide a name, address, phone number, e-mail address and Social Security number; and blank check-off boxes with which to select a discontinuation of Medicare, Medicaid, veterans' benefits, Social Security and/or another government benefit.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/28/10 - 10:48 pm
If Mary expects us to believe

If Mary expects us to believe that?....she's not playing with a full deck.
Hey, one of the Cards couldn't be in the deck...it's right above me.
No, not Grouse.
The Card in the Editor's Note.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/29/10 - 01:57 am
I love the Obama poster

I love the Obama poster children like Mary. They are the best possible examples of the mentality of his disciples.

NewHere
NewHere 04/29/10 - 04:19 am
Well said Mary, everybody

Well said Mary, everybody wants thinks from the gov bit they don't want to pay for it, and the don't care if is taken away from somebody as long that is not taken from them.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/29/10 - 04:49 am
NewHere, your comment seems

NewHere, your comment seems obviously foolish. Who wants their money taken for something they not only don't want, but are against. Not everybody wants the same things. The social programs the government offers don't benefit many people, though many live off them and don't pay for them. The money for those is taken from people that never use them but lead productive lives that benefits the country as a whole. The terrified kool-aid drinker that wrote this LTE feels the federal government should be the nanny and security blanket. Her lack of self confidence (and other damage done by our government education system) is a festering irritant to honorable people.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 04/29/10 - 05:23 am
i didnt make it to the rally

i didnt make it to the rally this year but i saw pictures of those tea party people.sitting there with american flags and holding their children, and vicious signs saying the govt is out of control. they were terrifying ..compared to the protest just recently in AZ where bottles were thrown and police assulted.. yea those tea party people really know how to intimadate the opposition..you on the left fear us because we are the taxpayers, the gravey train for all social welfare programs. if we revolt peacefully and throw out all the bums, ie politicians of all stripes, who spent our country in to bankruptcy and replaced them, you all might be asked to contribute too. as ol obama says every one has to have skin in the game..too bad he lies about this too..

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/29/10 - 05:34 am
Don't worry Mary, according

Don't worry Mary, according to the most recent polls, there will be more "change" this November, and you'll probably see less of the those pesky tea parties as they doing something so vile as practice their constitutional right to protest.

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/29/10 - 05:35 am
Sorry, typo. Should read as

Sorry, typo. Should read as they are doing something. My bad.

slippery 25
slippery 25 04/29/10 - 06:55 am
Mary you give the government

Mary you give the government your money, they waste it. I do not think the answer to this problem is to give them more of your money.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/29/10 - 07:22 am
What Mary, and most others

What Mary, and most others who pose this arugment, never seem to mention is that Social Security and Medicare benefits are systems we paid into for many years, and veterans benefits were earned as part of their service. Yes, we want what we are due. But there is a huge difference in drawing benefits from a program that we paid into and the social welfare programs where the government takes money from us and gives it to millions of people who never contributed a dime. Social Security and Medicare are not "socialist run" programs. They are contributory systems which, had they not be mismanaged and raided by the government, would be self sustaining. The government took our money forcibly, spent it on people who did not contribute, gave us an IOU, and now we are here to collect. Our earned benefits cannot be compared to government social welfare programs such as Obamacare where they take our money and give it to someone else. Ms. Schorsch needs to put her red dress and straw sun bonnet back on and sign up for a basic accounting course where she could learn to track Income and Outgo and could see that we provided our Income and now we want our Outgo. She could then look at the social welfare programs she and her Democrat friends support and try to find the mysterious Income from all of the leeches that feed on that system. I am sure she will find that 100% of the money comes from 50% of the people and those 50% of the people are rapidly becoming TEA Party supporters. The other 50% are Democrats.

WW1949
WW1949 04/29/10 - 07:23 am
Mary is a nice person but a

Mary is a nice person but a little strange at times. She and her physician husband own several large homes with apartments and several duplexs that they rent out. She is entitled to her view but I don't understand why she would want to pay more taxes to give to the non productive. I would think it would be the other way around considering her capitalist enterprises. Strange to me.

Kapa18
Kapa18 04/29/10 - 08:03 am
Mary, Mary, Mary who cares

Mary, Mary, Mary who cares honey. Really about 14 people read the article that you refereed to (I didn't) and 10 of them can't remember it. Let's say 60 people got your cards, 20 people actually read them and only 3 of them still have them. Mary, that sweating and slight pain in your right temple you are experiencing if from the stress of all of this. Have a glass or wine or warm tea. Take up gardening or visit a library anything to help you calm down Honey. This is not worth what you are putting yourself through. Breathe Mary, oh Mary, breathe, breathe and now, just let it go...move on and catch up with the rest of us...

Dudeness
Dudeness 04/29/10 - 08:06 am
Why is she upset about the

Why is she upset about the Chronicle making assumptions about her when she is making far more assumptions about other tea party attendees? Going to a tea party does not mean that you agree with everything the republicans have done. If they had handled their business, there wouldn't be a need for this movement because the door wouldn't have been left open for the democrats to rape and pillage this country.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 04/29/10 - 09:48 am
Wait until the Tea Partiers

Wait until the Tea Partiers rally demanding that Georgia legislators vote to approve an immigration law modeled on the one just passed in Arizona. We can expect actions like this before November elections. Tea Partiers should expect peaceful push back from folks who want no part of their reactionary agenda.

There is a deep divide in this country which radical right-wing media including The Chronicle are feeding. Frenzied Tea Partiers should prepare themselves for more merry pranks like Mary Schorsch provided reactionary locals. Her creative and brave prank is the only memorable moment of the media coverage of the Tea Party rally on Augusta Commons except for Ed Turner's ironic selection of music!

Kapa18
Kapa18 04/29/10 - 10:07 am
grouse, only on the Augusta

grouse, only on the Augusta Chronicle. Censorship at its' best. Guess that is why they have money problems....

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/29/10 - 10:46 am
"My actions were completely

"My actions were completely independent of any group, and did not involve gathering any information" Then why did the card "provides blank spaces for someone to provide a name, address, phone number, e-mail address and Social Security number" and The card ends: "This information will be forwarded to the government offices applicable and I understand that I have agreed to stop all coverage for the programs I have checked off." Whether a forwarding address was on the card or not, I can see where the idea came that someone was collecting information. If it was just to read as the writer states then why have a blank for personal information to be filled in? Sounds like a contradiction.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 04/29/10 - 11:06 am
the only people who are

the only people who are violent at rallies are those on the left..any one who doesnt want current law enforced concerning illegal aleins is either nuts or misguided. no other country on earth allows the complete disregard of its borders like the US DOES.. OUR POLITICIANS ARE SELLING US OUT..and i'm d*** sorry if someone is inconvienced to show proper identification, we do it all the time.. and the only reason we do it is because its no big deal to cooperate if asked whether by a waiter ,clerk or officer. and its only because of the liberals who want to make everything free for the illegals...education,health care etc....that we have this problem in the 1st place..

dani
dani 04/29/10 - 11:52 am
"JRHC - We can expect actions

"JRHC - We can expect actions like this before November elections. t ..."
I certainly hope so.

dani
dani 04/29/10 - 11:56 am
What was the point in handing

dani
dani 04/29/10 - 11:58 am
Okay. I got it. She was

Okay. I got it. She was hoping someone would take exception and do a little trash talking.

KSL
KSL 04/29/10 - 12:12 pm
Mary says "In fact, I

Mary says "In fact, I repeatedly stated that the form was just to be read only." I saw her hand out a number of those slips of paper, including one to me. She never opened her mouth to say a word.

And we are to believe she coincidentally came up with the exact same wording as the crashtheteaparty guy. Yeah, right.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 04/29/10 - 12:52 pm
dani wrote at 12:56 PM: "What

dani wrote at 12:56 PM: "What was the point in handing the cards out if she didn't plan on getting them back?"

dani, I suggest you read the letter to the editor above these comments. The letter writer explains clearly why she handed out the cards. Ms. Schorsch wrote:

"Many government programs such as veterans' benefits, Medicare and Social Security are valuable services, and I wanted to make this point with the cards I was handing out. It is inconsistent to be on the receiving end of government-sponsored programs and not recognize that these are tax-supported."

The poorly informed opinions of many Tea Party protesters has been apparent to me and others for some time. Even before their protest on Capitol Hill over then pending health care reform legislation, during one of their now infamous disruptions of town hall meetings that Congressional members held to discuss proposed health care reform with the public, one protester exclaimed "I don't want the government involved in my Medicare!" Schorsch's leaflet was designed to make people think.

No matter where she got the information for the leaflets from, it was a creative and courageous act on her part. She showed personal initiative, and I commend her for it.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/29/10 - 12:29 pm
"There's Something About

"There's Something About Mary"
that Herscel Walker should talk to her about.

Inquiring Lynn
Inquiring Lynn 04/29/10 - 01:32 pm
Mary, the reactionaries just

Mary, the reactionaries just love to bray silly platitudes rather than engage in serious discussion on how government can help us. One of the silly platitudes is Pres. Ronzo's : I'm from the government and I Want to help you, as thought government is generally ineffective and a threat to liberty. No, the Constitution protects us from wrongful government actions in keeping it from invading our privacy and so forth.
Another from Pres... Jefferson is that the least government is the best. In what way? I take that as affirmation of what we of the ACLU and AU for the Separation of Church and State advocate rather than limitations on how it can provide for the Common Welfare.
Another is that I have a job, so you get one, lazy bones! Now, tell that to all the millions unemployed and underemployed! Tell it to the mother who can't get by on welfare and dare not have any more children than anyone else as the payments don't suffice. Reactionaries demean poor folk as the Soviets did the Kulaks!
Many of the homeless have jobs!
I'm inured to reactionary swill! Rather than bleating, they should carefully study the implications of what Mary so well notes!
John Randolph,eh?

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 04/29/10 - 01:49 pm
I don't agree with what Mary

I don't agree with what Mary did as it was very petty and childish and serves no purpose. However, her premise on the hypocrisy of the Tea Party towards government entitlement programs are spot on. The Tea Party rails on and on about smaller government, less spending, and less taxation yet they continue to hold both major, inept, corrupt political parties hostage when any reforms are mentioned to their beloved ponzi schemes of SS and Medicare that are underfunded by $107 Trillion. Yes we would all like to have our money back that is stolen to fund those ponzi schemes but that is not going to happen. The greedy seniors need to realize they must sacrifice as well for the betterment of the country. SS and Medicare need to be cut drastically and phased out quickly. Until then the Tea Party is just another hypocritcal component of "the machine" that has been destroying America for the last century.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 04/29/10 - 02:03 pm
I earned my vet bennies and I

I earned my vet bennies and I have paid quite a bit in taxes to the other programs listed too.

Mary needs to quit whining about how she was portrayed. She went there to protest and more power to her, but she is crying wolf if she says she didn't INTEND on making trouble.

Brad

Chillen
Chillen 04/29/10 - 02:32 pm
Making trouble is biting the

Making trouble is biting the finger off a guy at an anti-healthcare protest. Making trouble is black panthers intimidating voters and then being let off the hook by the obama admin. Making trouble is the SEIU attacking a black man at an anti-healthcare rally. Making trouble is democrat Coakleys' aide shoving a reporter to the ground. Making trouble is shooting a gun through a republican's office window. Making trouble is protesting in the streets at an immigration rally and shouting and throwing things at the police.

Works on both sides grouse.

Local Interests
Local Interests 04/29/10 - 03:01 pm
Whether or not you want to

Whether or not you want to believe it, social security, medicare and VA are government run benefits. The average retiree will be paid much more in social security benefits than they ever paid in (even allowing for interest earned). The only VA benefits that should have been "earned" is care for injuries sustained while in the military; the rest is more government benefits.

This is kind of a reverse NIMBY, cut every one else's benefits and shrink government so long as I'm not impacted.

Folks, Mary's point wasn't all that far off base.

Think what you want, but recognize that cuts will likely affect everyone - even you.

On a slightly related note, a couple of college journalism majors interviewed some very bright and well informed tea partiers. The video can be found on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilG7PCV448&feature=youtube_gdata

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/29/10 - 03:04 pm
Baron, you are wrong about

Baron, you are wrong about the Tea party. The tea party is a group of voters who are tired of the government taking too much control and voting in things which are against the will of the people like the healthcare law. It is a peaceful means of protesting against a government that is getting out of hand and there may come a day when the people have to rise up and take back our government back by force but today is not that day. Today we do everything possible to have a peaceful resolution and elect people out of office who refuse to represent the of their districts. And how dare you call the elderly greedy when they are doing all they can to just get by. They have paid into SS and medicare and there would be plent enough money if the government would quit stealing it to give to other countries and spend $5000 dollars on a .20 cent bolt. Baron you continually demonstrate that you have no clue what you are talking about. For one who denies a higher power as you do for the sake of your own intellect you appear quite bankrupt.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/29/10 - 03:06 pm
Local Interest, I am

Local Interest, I am seriously interested in where you come up with the information that you cite that says people draw more than they pay into Social Security.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...