Don't warp theology to make a point

I understand the sentiment of the letter "Stand firm against vile anti-gay letter" (April 15) -- love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart and thy whole soul, and thy neighbor as thyself. The latter is the message the writer was trying to convey.

And as a Christian I agree -- love the homosexual as being those among the human gifts of God's creation, but love them for themselves as our neighbors, not for what they may label themselves.

In arriving at that sentiment, the writer distorts some of Christianity's tenets. To be a homosexual is not a sin, but to practice that gift as a gay may or may not be sinful. As to that, I -- contrary to the writer -- am not the one to say or to judge.

Likewise, same-sex marriages are not a matter of holy bond before the eyes of God because most Christian religions recognize marriage to be a sacrament bestowed upon consummation, under pledge, of a conjugal relationship between a man and a woman, which sacrament brings with it the holy gift of God's grace. Same-sex marriages are legal arrangements recognized by some state governments, none of which have the power to dispense any blessings of holiness.

I can understand the writer's concern about the letter of his complaint (which I did not read). I join with him in spreading Jesus' message of love to our brothers and sisters. But let us not abuse that message; Christianity is neither an abstract theology nor a foil to be misconstrued for the purpose of justifying personal preferences.

grouse
grouse 04/25/10 - 12:06 am
"Christianity is neither an

"Christianity is neither an abstract theology nor a foil to be misconstrued for the purpose of justifying personal preferences." -- rather it is an antiquated belief system based on myth, mysticism and magical thinking. While some universal truths can be found in it, these truths can also be found in other philosophical teachings and civilizations throughout history. They can be taught without the fear of or the love of a non-existent deity.

brayton99
brayton99 04/25/10 - 01:19 am
for the life of me, I cannot

for the life of me, I cannot understand why people, 'so-called christians' are so afraid of gay people. why is being gay so much more of a sin than adultery, gluttony, smoking and drinking(as God says your body should be a temple), getting a divorce, couples living together before they are married, people having children before marriage? the extreme right wing terrorists are spreading hate, and trying to back it up with the Word of God, based on their interpretation, or their 'pick and choose' mentality. God said that any woman who is not a virgin and gets married should be taken to the town center and stoned to death. why don't we enforce that teaching from the Word of God?

FaceTheMusic
FaceTheMusic 04/25/10 - 07:37 am
The majority must always have

The majority must always have a minority group to which it can feel superior. For years, the discriminated against group was women; then it was African Americans. The current "flavor of the month" is gay people. Given time, this too shall pass. The world never spins backwards! brayton99, Biblical teachings have always been very selectively emphasized and enforced; people get up on their soapbox about those teachings with which they agree, and they tend to not mention those teachings against which they have transgressed. After all, how many AC editorials or letters have you seen about plain old divorce or adultery? But you mention gay marriage, and all of those sinless Christians will cloak themselves in page after page of Biblical quotations, so much so that you can almost see the haloes floating gently above their heads!

brayton99
brayton99 04/25/10 - 08:01 am
i agree face, thank you for

i agree face, thank you for having an open mind and being educated. that is refreshing.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/25/10 - 08:26 am
All perversions are good.

All perversions are good. Disagreeing with them is just mean. Christians hate everyone.

Does everybody feel justified now?

carcraft
carcraft 04/25/10 - 08:14 am
Grouse, Communisium and the

Grouse, Communisium and the death of over 50 million people and the torture and degradation of millions more at the hands of communists proves your point right?

carcraft
carcraft 04/25/10 - 08:15 am
A very well written LTE..

A very well written LTE..

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 04/25/10 - 09:51 am
Grouse, I surely hope you do

Grouse, I surely hope you do not approach the Living God at the end of your days with those words on your tongue - I pray they will be long forgotten words that are covered under His Grace. There is still time.

grouse
grouse 04/25/10 - 12:07 pm
Carcraft, what does communism

Carcraft, what does communism have to do with the letter or the argument. Jesusiscoming: I surely hope you do not approach Muhammad, Zeus, Vishna, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster at the end of your days...

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 04/25/10 - 01:04 pm
None of those folks will be

None of those folks will be where I am standing.

belle
belle 04/25/10 - 01:08 pm
grouse, it saddens me to know

grouse, it saddens me to know that you are not able to accept God's gifts for you here on earth. Heaven is definitely figurative and personal but the hope, grace and love we are given each day here is clearly evident.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 04/25/10 - 01:38 pm
grouse, brayton, and FTM

grouse, brayton, and FTM stated it very well in the first 3 posts. What I chuckle at is the fact the LTE thinks marriage isn't a personal contract between 2 people but as some blessing or gift from God. How absurd.

Christians have been and continue to be the most violent and oppressive group to ever walk the Earth. Their treatment of women, blacks, and Native Americans have been deplorable. Their need to invade free countries is troubling. Their desire to tell others how to live and using their influence to have government do this oppressive work is despicable. Their refusal to even acknowledge much less clean up their clergy and congregations of its miscreant behavior is just downright hypocritical. How anybody can take these people seriously (outside of their aggressive, violent nature) is beyond rational, strong-minded individuals.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/25/10 - 02:47 pm
Apparently no one was

Apparently no one was justified by my silly comment of 8:26, even though I agreed with grouse, brayton, FTM and baronvonreich. Oh well, ... life goes on.

jack
jack 04/25/10 - 03:18 pm
Love the sinner but hate the

Love the sinner but hate the sin. I am not the one who judged homosexual behavior as a sin. It was God.

jack
jack 04/25/10 - 03:24 pm
Baron, you are just full of

Baron, you are just full of "it". The Christians I know and am, are the most giving people on earth. I fail to find them blowing up innocent people and I don't find them trying to force anyone to accept our beliefs, with or without the government. I, too, amd disgusted with our historyof genocide of the American Indian. As for blacks, I am sure they had rather be here than in Africa. BTW, it wasn't Christians who sold them into slavery a few hundred years hence.

JM88
JM88 04/25/10 - 03:52 pm
>baronvonreich Stopped

>baronvonreich

Stopped reading there.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 04/25/10 - 05:42 pm
Well jack I am saddened

Well jack I am saddened though not surprised to see that you are able to justify slavery and the mistreatment of other people. I see you also fail to recognize the innocent people of Afghanistan, Iraq, Korea, and Vietnam who have had their countries invaded and had countless killed at the hand of the violent, imperialistic Christian Americans even though none of those countries had attacked nor even threatened the U.S.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/25/10 - 08:05 pm
Atheists never cease to amaze

Atheists never cease to amaze me. It is only when their weak, dying bodies are withering that they realize that God can snap them like a twig. And it is only then that they beg God for forgiveness, bypassing the issue of God's existence altogether which they have so bravely extolled during their miserable lives. And it is only then that God in his glorious mercy will still forgive them. It is amazing, isn't it!

GAterp
GAterp 04/25/10 - 08:33 pm
You know that the only good

You know that the only good word in all of this BS (on both sides of the discussion) is LOVE. If more love was practiced, instead of preached, then perhaps there would not be as much hate as exists in the world today.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 04/25/10 - 11:38 pm
Nat - nobody has ever been

Nat - nobody has ever been snapped like a twig except as the result of a disease, a careless accident, or the malicious intent of another creature. All living organisms eventually die and degrade into the earth not ascend into the clouds.

Runner46
Runner46 04/26/10 - 07:49 am
At least the Christians don't

At least the Christians don't have jihadists ready to chop of the body parts of non-believers in the name of their religion. In this country, you are free to follow the religion of your choice, or none at all, as long as you don't try to force your beliefs on others.

swinter05
swinter05 04/26/10 - 10:46 am
The sad thing is (and the

The sad thing is (and the difference) between MOST Christians (and non-believers for that matter) and homosexuals, is although every sin is looked upon as the same in God's eyes, homosexuality is somehow supposed to be justified by some make believe "I was born that way" or some other excuse. Adultery, lying, glutton...most people RECOGNIZE these as sins and will turn away or attempt to ask forgiveness and live a life the opposite of such. God and Christians LOVE PEOPLE.....hate the sin.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/26/10 - 11:02 am
All living organisms

All living organisms eventually die and degrade into the earth not ascend into the clouds, stated baronvonreich. Such a sad life baron must have, no hope. You can believe that if you want to baron, but this old body of mine will die, and it will decay, but thank God Almighty, my soul will rise and rest eternity in a new heavenly body forever with my Savior. You can continue to believe what you wish and you can continue to repeat your nonsense about Christians being the most violent and oppressive, but what makes you think our military is made up entirely of "imperalistic Christian Americans" ? I'm sure our military is made up of just as many non-Christian, atheist, and others from different faiths.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 04/26/10 - 02:52 pm
Well every president i.e

Well every president i.e commander in chief has been a self-proclaimed Christian. Sarge likes to get on here and proclaim how 80% of Americans are Christians so how can non-Christians make up half of the American military?

And where exactly is your soul located in your body that is going to move through your skin and rise up through the clouds into heaven?

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/26/10 - 03:27 pm
baron, I must appologize for

baron, I must appologize for I have misstated. It is my spirit that will rise to be with my Savior. Your spirit resides in your soul and when you die you spirit will go to heaven if you are a believer. Your soul is the very essense of your earthly being, your breathe, your life. I do not know the percentage of Christians and Non-Christians in our miliary but where did you get the idea that it was half?

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/26/10 - 08:30 pm
I find that most posters on

I find that most posters on here make up their own statistics to demonstrate their own points. No one has the time or takes the time to locate every statistic they think they know. LOL But there are some basic assumptions that don't need a documented study to prove (i.e. Most dogs bark and most cats meow are very common assumptions). Unfortunately, its difficult to make any assumption about how many Christians serve in the military. But there is one basic assumption that is far more important. That assumption is that as humans we have a soul which makes us different than every other living creature on this planet. (We think, we feel, we have emotions) We are more than just neurons sparking in our brains. That part of us that makes up who we are that is composed of more than just physical matter is this soul. Now the real question is what happens to that soul once we die. I am assuming that Baron would say it ceases to exist at all. (I am sure he will correct me if I am wrong). InChristLove and myself and Sargbaby would say that this soul lives on. If the soul has believed in the atoning blood of Jesus Christ to take away its sins then that soul goes to live forever with Jesus in heaven. (Jesus said, "In My Father's house is many mansions, if it were not so I would have told you so. I go to prepare a place for you that where I am you may be also. Jn. 14) For the one who does not know Jesus his soul will go to hell (Matt: 25:41, "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels") If Baron is right then what have we really wasted but if we are right then Baron and the souls of all the unbelievers will forever be lost. Baron, accept Christ before its too late.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 04/26/10 - 08:50 pm
"I'm sure our military is

"I'm sure our military is made up of just as many non-Christian, atheist, and others from different faiths"
-----------------
ICL - your implication that just as many non-Christians are in the military is the same thing as saying half of the military is non-Christian is it not?

If you folks want to believe that a human's spirit is in this mythical soul and it is going anywhere after one takes their last breath then that is your right. Just stop imploring the U.S. government to discriminate against other free Americans who don't buy into your beliefs and who don't affect you lives or your freedoms one iota.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/26/10 - 09:24 pm
Technically no it's not the

Technically no it's not the same baron but if you see it that way, okay. Your argument is weak. There are some non-Christians who do not agree that two women or two men should be married. Should they not also be heard, or is it just Christians that you want to sit down and shut up. Just because I happen to believe in a God that you don't, is my voice and opinion just as valid as your voice and opinion? Or does your not believing in God some how trump my rights? And you ask me how Christians are oppressed. You're the perfect example.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/26/10 - 09:49 pm
WELLLL!

WELLLL!

brayton99
brayton99 04/26/10 - 10:37 pm
it's amazing how many

it's amazing how many so-called christians have such hatred in their hearts, when The Lord Thy God preached love and forgiveness, not hate. i'm sure that the line of evangelicals will be long at the Holy Gates, trying to explain to God why they were full of hate. See you in heaven. I'll be in the express lane.