Don't be fooled -- God is intolerant of sin

I am a Christian. I love homosexuals but I hate the sin. The letter to the editor "Stand firm against vile anti-gay letter" (April 16) was unbiblical.

Your beliefs don't matter if they don't line up with the infallible word of God. Jesus taught "Love your neighbor as yourself," but nowhere in Scripture does God suggest for children of God to love sin: "Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." (I Corinthians 6:9-10)

A Christian believing that homosexuality is not sinful, doesn't know or perhaps care what God thinks about the matter. God tells us, "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable" (Leviticus 18:22), and "the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men ... " (Romans 1:27).

Our culture is becoming tolerant to homosexuality, even equating your sexual orientation to the color of your skin. However, God isn't becoming tolerant to sin. He never changes.

Unlike race or gender, sexual preference is a choice to make. We can see all through the Bible that believers struggled with temptations. Homosexuality can be overcome, because "all things are possible with God." (Mark 10:27)

Many TV shows include a gay character; legislators vote to extend rights to gay couples; and many Christians condone homosexuality. Don't be fooled -- the homosexual lifestyle isn't one that God looks favorably upon. "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- his good, and pleasing, and perfect will." (Romans 12:2)

Jennifer Edalgo

Aiken, S.C.

Comments (76)

grouse
grouse 04/21/10 - 11:12 pm

If Ms. Edalgo is such a good

If Ms. Edalgo is such a good Christian, she should realize that Jesus never commented on homosexuality. Mixing up the Jewish texts with the propaganda of Paul does not overcome that. Of course, taking these ancient texts to justify homophobia is simply anachronistic and irrelevant as is believing in mythical beings.

JM88
JM88 04/21/10 - 11:28 pm

Good column. I would only

Good column. I would only quibble with you on one thing, and that is when you say homosexuality is a choice. I don't pretend to know what causes homosexuality, whether it's biological, environmental, a personal choice, or some combination of the above, but that's irrelevant. All human beings are born with a sin nature. Being born with a predisposition to do something is no excuse for engaging in immoral behavior. If it were, just about any evil act could be justified.

brayton99
brayton99 04/22/10 - 01:09 am

Let me see. homosexuality is

Let me see. homosexuality is a sin? loving another human being is a sin? FACT heterosexual marriages end up in divorce over 50% of the time, divorce is a sin, gluttony is a sin, how many christians are overweight?, the Bible says that a woman who has had sex before marriage should be taken outside and stoned to death, how many women does that cover? how many christians drink alcohol, the Bible says that the body should be a temple, how many christians destroy their bodies, (temples), by smoking? can you spell double standard? i guess not

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/22/10 - 05:42 pm

Grouse, is an intellegent

Grouse, is an intellegent poster here, and his faith, or lack of it, is his business; however, when he submits insulting statements as facts, and there are other meanings and interpretations, it becomes very annoying.

First, I would not expect you to know this, but it is a fact to Christians that Jesus is God, and the Holy Spirit [Holy Trinity]. Thus, when you state that Jesus never commented on Homosexuality that is just not true to Christians. If God commented on a particular subject, so did Jesus. If Jesus commented on a particular subject so did God. And if the Holy Spirit told Paul what to say, God and Jesus also told Paul what to say. So you are the one "mixing up," the facts, and your false assertions about the Old Testament and Paul have just been "overcome." And those are Christian facts that you "sarcastically" dismiss as "propaganda." That is very uncaring and simply not polite!

Secondly, it is a Christian fact, that God's word is eternal so there is absolutely nothing in the Bible that is "anachronistic," but to the contrary, extremely applicable then as it is now, and shall always be "relevant." To state that our Biblical text is "anachronistic," and "irrelevant," is to reduce our Christian religion to beyond an insulting level. Do you understand that there are many people who do not agree with you, but do not get on this post and make sarcastic, hurtful comments about you and what you believe or don't believe?

Third, you obviously do not believe in God, you are an atheist, and I for one am not going to criticize your beliefs, because I don't care what you believe in, but for you to call my God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit that I believe in "Mythical Beings," simply reveals a very angry, egotistical image, of someone who doesn't need my God or is greater than my God and you come across condescendingly rude, with no respect for anyone on here at all, especially Ms. Edalgo.
Do you honestly believe that you, a person who doesn't even believe in God, are remotely qualified to judge whether or not Ms. Edalgo is "such a good Christian," or not? Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds?

Finally, if I hear the word Homophobic one more time, I think I will throw up on the person that says it to me. It is the most overused, worn out cliche, and incorrectly used term I might add, to descibe people who do not agree with Homosexuals, or do not understand Homosexuals, or people who just plain don't like Homosexuals. None of whom are scared or frightened of Homosexuals. As a matter of fact, I do not know anyone that is frightened of Homosexuals. What is there to be frightened of? As far as I'm concerned it is a derogatory "term," used to describe Heterosexuals along with the term "Breeder," as if that is the "UNNATURAL," thing to do. It's a Homosexual exuse for "normal" people, and I am sick and tired of it. I will speak for myself, but I am NOT scared of Homosexuals. I have a family member that is a Homosexual, he does not frighten me, and I understand perfectly why he is the way he his.
It is God that does not like Homosexuality. If you choose to be a Homosexual, and you choose to NOT believe in God as your way of dealing with it, that's your decision, and I respect that. All I am asking is that you respect my beliefs as well.

grouse
grouse 04/22/10 - 02:34 am

Nat, Ms. Edalgo threw down

Nat, Ms. Edalgo threw down the gauntlet with her offensive letter. Even if one believes in God, she cannot speak for God. Just because she purports to speak for God, doesn't mean that her views are above scrutiny. I am well aware of the concept of Trinity (which is nonsensical and dichotomous) but it was Jesus who was on the cross, who was here preaching, not God or some ghost. ("God sent his only begotten son...") But let me offend you more by saying such discussions are the same as discussing the finer points in a Harry Potter book. The basic premise is illogical and superstitious. I will also counter by saying not all Christians share yours or Ms. Edalgo's interpretations. If so, there would be one church, not the thousands of sects that exist...but I digress. I do thank you for the compliment, however. Christians who post such letters and those who support such sentiments, must be able to take the heat or get out of the kitchen. You are correct in that I prefer knowledge to faith and I am not going to base my judgments on a flawed, centuries-old book. I know, too, that you are aware of the many other, centuries-old religions whose followers are just as sure as you are of the rightness and infallibility of the one they've chosen or more likely, grown up in and that theirs is the "one, true" path. At the risk of making you nauseous again, the letter IS homophobic. Why else was it written? Believe what you what to believe, but to expect yours or anyone else's statements in a public forum to go unchallenged is unrealistic.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/22/10 - 05:27 am

Gays feel the experience

Gays feel the experience justifies the social abuse. It's their choice and we should let them play, but don't let the lines be blurred. Just as they should be allowed their opinion, so should we. Allow the heterophobic comments, but recognize them for what they are.

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/22/10 - 05:41 am

I take a moderate, middle of

I take a moderate, middle of the road position. No gay marriage, but they should be allowed to get engaged.

deekster
deekster 04/22/10 - 06:09 am

Ms. Edalgo, you have reached

Ms. Edalgo, you have reached the point of scriptural " casting pearls (of wisdom) before swine". "Go into all the world and preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ" does have a point of ending. You cannot help someone who does not see their need. "Narrow is the way that leads to eternal life and few there be that find it". The "visible church" has embarked on a mission of "total inclusion" of everything humanistic. God has taken "third place or no place" to entertainment of the congregation and the "latte bar". Because of their refusal to admit that their chosen actions are in fact SIN, God Almighty has turned them over to a reprobate mind". No consciousness of right or wrong. No moral compass. Driven by animal instinct. "They that worship God must worship Him in Spirit and TRUTH. The GOOD NEWS is that all of this "loss of God Consciousness" calls the "true believer to look up for your redemption draweth nigh". True Believers are never "at home" in this current world system. True Believers should praise God that they are in constant conflict with the current world system.

hirg_cola
hirg_cola 04/22/10 - 06:42 am

Good LTE & comments from Nat

Good LTE & comments from Nat & Johnston.Cliff. Grouse appears to be angry & dis-respectful of others, perhaps a "christianphobe"? ; )

Jane18
Jane18 04/22/10 - 06:52 am

Christian folks- please do

Christian folks- please do not argue with non-believers, it is a waste of time. There are too many people in this world today that will never believe as we do, and nothing we can say to them will ever make them `see'. You need to remember that some are in a stupor that GOD has allowed. By our works, HE will see our faith. GOD bless you, my sisters and brothers in CHRIST.

Rhetor
Rhetor 04/22/10 - 06:53 am

Here's a thought: the big

Here's a thought: the big sexual sin in the Bible is not homosexuality, but adultery. (Remember the 10 Commandments, anybody?) Yet conservatives support admitted adulterers for public office and other honors without, seemingly, a qualm. Until conservatives clean the adulterers out of their ranks, I intend to ignore their views on homosexuality.

Rhetor
Rhetor 04/22/10 - 06:57 am

If I recall, the book of

If I recall, the book of Leviticus also prohibits weaving clothing from wool and linen, and, furthermore, speaks against eating hogs. Query: does the letter writer intend to protest against Reid's grocery, which sells a delicious selection of pork products, and Dillard's, where I have personally seen linen and wool clothing from time to time? Answer however one likes; I'm just curious.

Buckeye
Buckeye 04/22/10 - 07:15 am

Last time I checked being

Last time I checked being Cristian, or Muslim, or Jewish, or any other religion was a choice as well...why aren't more people sending hate letters to the AC about that? I really don't understand this place sometimes...but I hope to see all of you at Pride in June. Maybe you can try explain our "sins" to us in person. I am sure that would go over well.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/22/10 - 07:30 am

brayton, sorry for the

brayton, sorry for the confusion. I try to type slow enough for everyone, but sometimes I forget myself.( I used one finger to type this comment )

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/22/10 - 07:29 am

Buckeye, why would you wish

Buckeye, why would you wish hate letters on everyone? Since the Christian perspective is to hate the sin, but love the sinner, why aren't they referred to as love letters? Why always focus on the hate?

Buckeye
Buckeye 04/22/10 - 07:43 am

as a sinner I am not feeling

as a sinner I am not feeling very "loved"

missyaug
missyaug 04/22/10 - 07:55 am

AC- PLEASE stop publishing

AC- PLEASE stop publishing these hate letters. If you want to spew your hateful thoughts, then save it for a receptive audience. It's none of any of our business what other folks do in their bedrooms!

Kapa18
Kapa18 04/22/10 - 07:56 am

grouse, Our Lord and Savior,

grouse, Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ in his death and ressurection has become the Law and Law Giver. Consider every word of God with caution. Your attempt to lable certain texts for certain people are incorrect. Until you have obeyed the Law in it's entirety you can not interpet it, only one person did and that was God's son. We all know in our hearts that homosexuality is a sin, but I believe people suffer from so many spirts of confussion we allow ourselved to be believe "it will be alright". I hate no one and don't bash...but I Pray every day that we will one day become the righteous people God intended us to be.

Kapa18
Kapa18 04/22/10 - 07:59 am

Rhetor, there is no "big sin"

Rhetor, there is no "big sin" and "little sin" to God. He is Holy and all sin is something that seperates us from him. Your opinion satifies your fleshly desires but is void of any spiritual growth.

Republicant
Republicant 04/22/10 - 08:14 am

So, what is the point of the

So, what is the point of the writer posting on the Chronicle? Is it to testify? What's the point of that? Are we in church?
This letter has no basis in reality otherwise.

Kapa18
Kapa18 04/22/10 - 08:20 am

Republicant, but I agree with

Republicant, but I agree with you, what is the purpose of the printing of the letter? We know this is a sensitive issue but not one that is news. Maybe there was a small pot to choose from in reference to the editorial page...wonder why? Hmmm....

Republicant
Republicant 04/22/10 - 08:21 am

Nat said:"... you obviously

Nat said:"... you obviously do not believe in God, you are an atheist, and I for one am not going to criticize your beliefs, because I don't care what you believe in,..."
You said you werent going to criticize his beliefs. An athiest by nature believes in no deity whatsoever.
"....but for you to call my God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit that I believe in "Mythical Beings," simply reveals a very angry, egotistical image, of someone who doesn't need my God or is greater than my God.... "
And then you not only criticize his beliefs, but you insult him as well.
It's fine to criticize his beliefs, but be honest. By definition an athiest believes that your God, Jesus and the Holy spirit have no more signifigance than Odin, Thor or Loki.

jiclemens
jiclemens 04/22/10 - 08:25 am

I pray that someday the

I pray that someday the writer will be mature enough to take a serious, adult look at the Bible. I pray that she will one day recognize her hubris and those she has hurt and ask forgiveness for her shallow and lazy grasp of reality. I pray that she ask God to forgive her for the fact that her opinions regarding science and religion are human, with the source not being God's but her hardened heart, and might simply be wrong.

Republicant
Republicant 04/22/10 - 08:27 am

Nat, I always thought

Nat, I always thought homophobic was a strange choice of terms as well. I personally have no fear of homosexuality, but I do not want to participate. Do you have to be afraid to not want to engage in it? Wierd.

FaceTheMusic
FaceTheMusic 04/22/10 - 08:30 am

I don't know what causes a

I don't know what causes a person to be gay either. But I surely don't believe that it's a "choice." I just don't think scientists have yet discovered the cause. I don't think that a person just wakes up one Wednesday morning and says, "I think I'll start being gay today." No rational, sane, thinking person could possibly believe that! In my opinion, there are many, many worse "sins" out there than being gay. If a person is gay, wants to get married and live in a loving relatiionship, and even adopt and raise children, I certainly don't have a problem with it. It wouldn't make me feel better to tell gays that "No, you can't love someone and you can't get married; you just keep living by yourself in sin." You know, Ms. Edalgo, I remember a time in the not-too-distant past when Bible verses were quoted in relation to the "color of your skin." Remember those times?

jiclemens
jiclemens 04/22/10 - 09:06 am

Repub, would it be more

Repub, would it be more accurate if we used the term 'heterosupremicist?" The term, homophobic, has nothing to do with being 'afraid' of a gay person. I'm sure many of you wouldn't hesitate to beat the crap out of a gay person who might find you attractive and had the courage to say so. I know many women who wish they were physically capable of doing the same thing to their straight hairy-knukled friends. The very term, "gay agenda" is derived from a deeply engraned fear of what gays are perceived to be 'doing to' our culture, institutions, families and children. Every bit of it is trumped up nonsense. Hense, 'homophobia.' It has nothing to do with an individual being man enough to beat up a queen. It is one ignorant group's classic fear and prejudice of another. Look no further than the utter BS spewed from Paul Cameron and the 'Family Research Institute.'

Republicant
Republicant 04/22/10 - 09:18 am

Jiclemens, call it whatever

Jiclemens, call it whatever you want. I could care less if a man finds me attractive, though my wife might think it was funny. I've been approached by gay men before and told them that it was flattering but no thanks, and they have always been polite.
But I'm sure that you're right about women wishing they could beat the hell out of some of the more persistent and obnoxious men among us.
It is hilarious though, that some anti gay men really think that some guy might find them attractive and try to "recruit" them.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 04/22/10 - 09:33 am

I too grow tired of seeing

I too grow tired of seeing letters like this because they get us nowhere. Same arguments are proposed by the same folks, and no one seems to budge (or at least learn from one another). What's the point? Here are the facts that I don't think we can dispute:

1) The Bible condemns homosexuality as a sin. Don't try to dispute this fact. Don't bring up "other sins" in an attempt to divert the focus. Don't harp on "love and forgiveness" to try and diffuse the issue. Anyone with a lick of sense (and a modicum of honesty) cannot dispute the fact that from cover to cover, the Bible labels homosexuality as a sin. That's what it clearly says. Get over it.

2) You don't have to believe the Bible. That's up to you. You can reject the Bible as fables and myths. You can say it has no bearing on modern thought. If that is your position, fine. More power to you. Just admit that and move on.

3) Just because you don't agree with the Bible, you have no right to distort what it teaches or try to "pick and choose" certain verses to suit your agenda. Just admit the Bible is wrong, and that you think you know better. Don't criticize others as being "homophobic" (whatever that is) or "intolerant" just because they accurately quote basic Christian principles. Your problem is not with posters or letter writers, it's with the Bible.

4) It is silly to say that Jesus never spoke against homosexuality. We do not have every single word that Jesus ever said recorded for us. The Gospels admit that very clearly. So, don't use this illogical argument to try and tear down what the remainder of the New Testament (which is Jesus' teachings) clearly says. For sure, Jesus loved all and welcomed all, but He never tolerated sin. Not for a second. Jesus was very politically incorrect.

5) Just because not all "Christians" believe homosexuality is a sin does not make homosexuality OK. The basis of Christian thought is the Bible, not majority opinion or popular vote. The Bible is clear that many who call themselves "Christian" are, in reality, clueless when it comes to Christianity. You'll always be able to find some folks who are OK with throwing out clear Bible teachings that they find objectionable. Just because these "pick and choose" folks call themselves "Christians" does not mean they truly are. You can't reject a clear and repeated Bible principle and be a Christian. That's illogical. You don't measure Christianity by the words or actions of people, you measure it by the principles clearly stated in God's word.

SnidleyWhiplash
SnidleyWhiplash 04/22/10 - 09:52 am

Don't be fooled - "God"

Don't be fooled - "God" doesn't exist, and all of the writings in your "holy scripture" *are* mere fables, designed to control the masses.

seabeau
seabeau 04/22/10 - 10:04 am

Jesus said " A tree is known

Jesus said " A tree is known by the fruit that it bears." AIDS/HIV is the latest and most deadly fruit that the homosexual culture has produced. The WHO predicts aprox. 30 million dead by 2020. Political Correctness prevented the U.S. from taking steps (isolation of patients) when the disease could have been stopped .All other fruits of this group fall far,far behind.