Government's Census hype is wasteful

Somehow, in my seven-plus decades as an American citizen, I don't recall the Census as being such an issue. This year I've seen expensive advertising on television and in the newspapers, and in the mail I received several reminders to be prompt in returning the Census form when I received it.

Well, I did respond promptly -- I filled it out the day it arrived, and put it back into the mail the very next day. Two weeks later, I received a second identical form, again telling me to fill in the blanks and return it promptly. Had I known that people in the Augusta area have never received their forms, I would have been glad to pass it on to someone.

Needless to say, I saw no reason to be counted twice, so my second form was put through my shredder! What an inefficient government we're witnessing.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/20/10 - 09:23 am
A census taker once tested

A census taker once tested me, so I ate his Liver with some Fartha [Edit: fava beans @ Southerguy, thanks], beans and a nice Chianti. ph, ph, ph, ph, ph........Scary, huh?

That's the Federal Government attempting to count the number of people that live in the United States. That shouldn't be too difficult, Right?

Can you possibly imagine implementing a 2700 Page Health Care Law [that no one has read], and being run by the Federal Government?
It will be a disastrous "Fire Drill," that will never end! The whole idea is extremely disturbing....not just for us, but for our children who will be the ones to experience the results of this "Great Social Experiment." And that is exactly what it is--a "crap shoot."

Our Health Care system, the best in the World, is doomed to laborious Government Bureaucracy! Why would anyone want to overhaul something that is the "best in the World?"

PLEASE Listen: It just doesn't make sense! It does NOT make sense!
What happened to our common sense, and our Father's common sense...If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! There is nothing about our Health Care System that needs to be drastically fixed.

If anyone can give me one valid reason for completely changing something that works just fine, that is the "best Health Care System in the World," the envy of every other Country in the World, [The World's leaders come to the U.S. for OUR Health Care], I will gladly listen. Wouldn't improvements here and there be better than risking the entire system with a dramatic change that we don't know will work, and we don't know if it will work better? Isn't the Risk much greater than any Benefit which MIGHT occur? I don't know about you, but that scares me a heck of a lot more than Hannibal Lecter!

And you think that I am concerned about losing our Health Care because a black man is in the White House. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves for even thinking that!

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/18/10 - 10:12 pm
Ahhhh, you have to love

Ahhhh, you have to love government efficiency. Consider this a sneak peak of health care bureacracy. Thank you for bringing change we can believe in.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/18/10 - 11:57 pm
Even their screen name....

Even their screen name....

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 04/19/10 - 03:38 am
Some people will use any

Some people will use any excuse to rationalize the erosion of freedom.

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/19/10 - 05:06 am
They sent me my form on March

They sent me my form on March 23 asking that it be returned the next day. It asked for the identities of the people who slept in my house on April 2.
So I decided to wait until April 3 to send it in (because my crystal ball was dusty). Then I got a letter dated March 30 asking where my form was.
I sent it in April 3.
April 8 I got another letter asking where my form was.
And some of you want these people to run health care?

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/19/10 - 05:21 am
NAT, its Fava Beans, but

NAT, its Fava Beans, but funny post. Isn't the waste the US Census indicative of the waste our government if famous for? And yet, there are millions who still believe it can run our healthcare. "There is none so blind as he who WILL not see."

UncleBill
UncleBill 04/19/10 - 05:28 am
Well, the census is mandated

Well, the census is mandated by the Constitution, and the data is used and useful, so how would you do it?

slippery 25
slippery 25 04/19/10 - 05:58 am
Govt waste our money , you

Govt waste our money , you got to be kidding!
Counting people is pretty hard, twelve people with different last names who voted in the last election live in a small apartment without any furnture.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/19/10 - 06:22 am
still haven't received my

still haven't received my census form. UncleBill, only the number and age of each is mandated.

Whyisit01
Whyisit01 04/19/10 - 06:41 am
Ten years ago, those who are

Ten years ago, those who are acting like this census is BRAND NEW, I wonder did they feel this way back then or here more so recently since Nov 08 and Jan 09? I don't recall the census as a bad thing in previous years? *SHRUGS*

55 F-100
55 F-100 04/19/10 - 07:19 am
I replied to two questions

I replied to two questions only: the number of persons living at the residence and that the residence was my permanent residence. The other "A.C.O.R.N." information for Prezbhojangles' reelection (Ha-Ha-Ha) campaign were left blank, and are not required (age, race, gender, name, telephone number, etc) under the census regulations.

momof2heads
momof2heads 04/19/10 - 07:20 am
I don't care who you are. If

I don't care who you are. If you don't think the amount of money the gov't has spent advertising the census is wasteful, then you need to get your head examined. The celebrity filled commercials, the pre-census letters. Millions of dollars completely wasted.

FaceTheMusic
FaceTheMusic 04/19/10 - 07:47 am
How did a letter about the

How did a letter about the census inspire comments about healthcare reform? I don't care if you fill out the census or not; if you don't, your state just loses representation in Congress. As for healthcare reform, you might as well get over that--it's the law of the land. Deal with it!

KSL
KSL 04/19/10 - 08:15 am
Don't forget billboards, mom.

Don't forget billboards, mom. In the past they have been able to take the census without all of the extra spending of money to advertise it.

egan01
egan01 04/19/10 - 08:22 am
I have a post office box and

I have a post office box and the census people will not send a form to a P.O. box, so if you get your mail at the post office they will not count you.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 04/19/10 - 08:32 am
Slavery was the law of the

Slavery was the law of the land too....I guess they should have just accepted it.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 04/19/10 - 08:54 am
i dont know about you but

i dont know about you but under the headline on the census form for race was white..i am confused i am not white, a piece of paper is white..so i filled out under other **AMERICAN..WHY CANT WE BE AMERICAN **this is the cocept of the great melting pot**continuing being classfied by gender or race will only lead to greater division...

butler123
butler123 04/19/10 - 09:03 am
I can see the need for how

I can see the need for how many people, race, gender and age there are in the U.S., but I see no need for them to know your name. To me that is proof right there that this isn't just a census. It is a set up.

Rhetor
Rhetor 04/19/10 - 09:21 am
They send out several forms

They send out several forms because it's much cheaper to send out a bunch of extra forms to all of us than to send actual census-takers to the homes of the people who lost the first form. You people could have figured that out for yourselves.

SnidleyWhiplash
SnidleyWhiplash 04/19/10 - 10:08 am
Wow...how did you righties

Wow...how did you righties manage to turn a LTE into an ongoing (and yet, futile) rant about HCR?
Additionally, Nat, there are several things wrong with your post. 1) There are *lots* of things wrong with the health care system as is exists today. The HCR bill isn't perfect (by a wide margin actually), but it's better than doing nothing. 2) What we have is not "the best health care system in the world". In fact, the World Health Organization ranks the U.S. as #37 in the world, behind such economic powerhouses as Malta, Luxembourg, Cyprus, and Chile. Additionally, larger countries rank above the U.S. as well, including France, the U.K. and yes, Canada. So to assert that we here in the United States have "the best health care system in the world" is just, well, simply not true. By extension, I highly doubt that many, if any at all, of the 36 countries ranked above us in that list "envy" our health care system.
Back to the topic however, you righties don't send in your census forms. When you are under-represented in Congress, infrastructure funds, etc etc, you'll have no right to complain.

dashiel
dashiel 04/19/10 - 10:16 am
Presumably, a senior citizen

Presumably, a senior citizen who can use a shredder unsupervised is also capable of reporting a duplication to the document's sender--not as a "professional courtesy"--but as a civic responsibility.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/19/10 - 10:36 am
World Healthcare Org. is

World Healthcare Org. is wrought with ideology and false assumptions.

mable8
mable8 04/19/10 - 11:26 am
The big O stated the 2010

The big O stated the 2010 census is important in order to redistrict the US for voting purposes; we call it gerrymandering, which is illegal! This is also the reason the big O wants the census to be carried out under his watchful eye. Consequently, you have the hype on returning the form.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 04/19/10 - 01:08 pm
The World Health Organization

The World Health Organization ranks U.S. Healthcare as number 37 in the world. But another poster scorns and says the World Healthcare Organization is wrought with ideology and false assumptions.

But take notice the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development ( OECD ) a group of the world's 30 richest nations, has released Health Care Data for 2009. U. S. health care was rated in their 37th place too.

So that's two world organizations heard from.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/19/10 - 02:05 pm
Gas, please... the OECD

Gas, please... the OECD report is over 10 yrs old. The head of the organization is quoted in the Wall Street Journal as saying he wishes it would go away. And, yes, it too was flawed. Tons of info available on these reports, if anyone cares, they can read them and decide for themselves.

Chillen
Chillen 04/19/10 - 02:10 pm
Who cares what the world

Who cares what the world health organization thinks? What the rest of the world thinks about us is of no consequence to me.

They probably rank us as 37 because all our "hungry poor people" are so fat and rampant with diabetes & heart disease. Plus we don't have socialized medicine (and never will).

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/19/10 - 07:21 pm
Grouse, and SnidleyWhiplash:

Grouse, and SnidleyWhiplash: These World Health Rankings that you refer to rank France, UK, and Canada, "socialized medicine systems," above the Health Care provided by the U.S.

PLEASE answer this one question truthfully, and I promise I will acknowledge these World Rankings from now on: If today, you had 3 months to live unless you receive the proper Medical Treatment, and you had the State Medical Insurance available to you from France, UK, Canada or the U.S.
Where would you choose to be treated? A simple Question.

Please give me simple Answer. I am still waiting for the answer to my first collective Question: Give me one valid reason why our Health Care System should be completely overhauled?

And FacetheMusic, I am still very concerned about Health Care because I am seriously thinking about voting for candidates who want to repeal the Health Care Law, or usurp the funding required to implement this socialized system....so I'm not over it.

corgimom
corgimom 04/19/10 - 07:33 pm
55 F-100, great job. You

55 F-100, great job. You rendered yourself and your family invisible.

You accomplished a lot, didn't you?

Your form will be thrown out. Thanks for wasting our tax dollars. It's people like you, that for some inexplicable reason think that the census will be used for a reelection campaign, that drive up the cost of the census.

Let me inform you of something, Nat the Cat. After the census is completed, the Bureau gather up the raw data, in generalities, but in terms of your name, age, etc- that takes years.

And the reelection campaign is already gearing up, they don't need the census.

So no, the census will not be used for Obama's or any other person's election.

Where do people come up with this crazy stuff?

corgimom
corgimom 04/19/10 - 07:34 pm
Give me one valid reason why

Because it stinks, it has many problems, and it's going broke. And it gets steadily worse every year, and if it's not overhauled in some fashion, eventually the entire system will break down.

corgimom
corgimom 04/19/10 - 08:39 pm
Did you know that one of the

Did you know that one of the reasons why the US ranks 37th in health care- is that we, as a nation, have such good care that preemies and high-risk births- that have high death rates and that would not survive a live birth in other countries- actually pulls down our standings?

***********************************
Butler 123, the reasons why the census wants to know your name are:

It's compared to the last census to see if what you are saying matches the previous census.

It's to prevent fraud- if you didn't identify people, there would be millions of "ghosts"

It's to aid the US in times of war- they want to know who's available to fight, which was the main reason for taking a census back when the country was founded

Heads of households have been identified by name since the first one, in 1790. As the population increased, duplicate names became more and more common, and it became harder and harder to distinguish who people were. It also didn't tell the goverment much of anything. Since 1850, all residents have been listed by name. The censes before 1840 are pretty much useless.

They wanted to track marriages and female mortality rates. There was no way to tell if a woman died and the man remarried, before 1850.

If you were a census taker, unless you listed people by name, how would you know who you've already counted and who you haven't?

No, it's not a setup.