Shame on Payne for words on Tiger

Just when I thought the Augusta National Golf Club was a 100-percent class act, Chairman Billy Payne showed his ignorance with his comments regarding Tiger Woods. Way to welcome one of the greatest golfers ever.

Shame on Mr. Payne. His little speech on national news was totally unnecessary and uncalled for. Those few words took the class out of the National.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/12/10 - 11:02 pm
BOBBY JONES, the very

BOBBY JONES, the very definition of "Southern Gentleman," is turning--no, spinning, is his Grave! Mr. Payne came across as an arrogant, judgemental, egomaniac! My respect for him has diminshed greatly. Unfortunately, right or wrong, Payne's comments directly reflect the nature and spirit of the Augusta National. I sincerely hope that the Augusta National will find a more suitable and humble Representative.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/12/10 - 11:01 pm
Ms. Bischoff, thanks for this

Ms. Bischoff, thanks for this letter and to Nat. This is a point I've been harping on when I thought the AC had gone silent on the matter. It's not popular to take up for Tiger, but Payne was obviously wrong. Something will come from Payne's diatribe even if it takes a while. Wait and see.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/12/10 - 11:06 pm
Riverman is absolutely right.

Riverman is absolutely right. Right after Scott's article was posted, the negative comments were pulled quicker than a "loose tooth."
ACES should be congratulated for not "burying" the story! I'm sure that others who support Payne's comment wish to speak out as well.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 04/13/10 - 04:28 am
the masters should be

the masters should be renamed-the tiger golf classic.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 04/13/10 - 05:39 am
Payne was absolutely correct.

Payne was absolutely correct. Tiger Woods has made part of his fortune and reputation by presenting himself as a role model. All you with no morals, continue to worship a philandering sex and drug addict. Says more about you guys than Payne's statement says about the Master's. GO PAYNE! GO Lefty!

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/13/10 - 06:19 am
Those who worship sports

Those who worship sports stars as heros and as role models shouldn't confuse athletic prowess with high morals.

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/13/10 - 06:23 am
I agree with cliff

I agree with cliff completely! Admire the man's ability to play but to act if their poop doesn't smell like everyone else's and your making a big mistake. This celebrity worship we have in this country is pretty sad. The real role models in life often go unrecognized and don't need the spotlight to prove they are good people.

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/13/10 - 06:28 am
Betty, you think an

Betty, you think an organization that discriminates against female members is a class act? 50 years ago, Tiger Woods wouldn't have been able to be there, unless he was carrying golfbags. Both of my daughters have served their country, my oldest serving in Iraq, but neither can join the Augusta National. Neither can you. Women serve in our armed forces, in government, as doctors, lawyers, engineers, pastors, etc. And yet, they are STILL discriminated against by archaic organizations like the Augusta National. How classy is that?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/13/10 - 06:50 am
southernguy08, private club.

southernguy08, private club. Want women? Plenty of clubs have them. Choose one.

DeRay50
DeRay50 04/13/10 - 06:55 am
To Wizzard: No way. Thank

To Wizzard: No way. Thank goodness, this is not a Tiger Woods Golf Classic. Way to go, Phil.

southern2
southern2 04/13/10 - 07:14 am
Glad Billy Payne said it like

Glad Billy Payne said it like he said it. Augusta National is the only American institution that doesn't have to do the PC wind test to see how they should respond. They make the rules. That's what make them stand above the rest. Obviously, Tiger wasn't too offended.

john
john 04/13/10 - 07:35 am
This seemed like a little CYA

This seemed like a little CYA for the heat they have gotten for not disinviting Tiger. It was unneccisary and inappropriate. Tiger messed up bad and he knows it, it was in poor form to kick him while he is down. Who is Mr Payne to lecture? Tiger is a grown up, not some teenager to be lectured to. And lets not pretend Tiger is the only one that has hooked up with people not his wife.

ar3439
ar3439 04/13/10 - 07:45 am
Way to go Billy Payne! These

Way to go Billy Payne! These athletes making millions, should be made to walk to a high standard and if they fall below that standard, they should be out! That is what is wrong with this country no more morals and standards.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/13/10 - 08:28 am
This was a CYA act.. to

This was a CYA act.. to satisfy a few unhappy that he was there. Tiger took it like a man, why cant we?

Pistol
Pistol 04/13/10 - 08:55 am
Southernguy, I can't join

Southernguy, I can't join Curves, so what's your point? Is the world suppose to be fair and balanced? I too served our country for 22 years but I don't dwell on what someone else says I can and cannot have, it's called freedom of choice.

soldout
soldout 04/13/10 - 09:00 am
Tiger showed his real heart

Tiger showed his real heart Sunday with the words coming out of his mouth. Out of the heart the mouth speaks and what we say under stress shows who we really are; not our calm prepared words. As a man thinks so is he, and Tiger shows us how he thinks. Someone said while we are under control of our words we need to fix our hearts because if we ever lose control; maybe with age, the false front we put up all those years will be gone. Jesus is the heart fixer. That is why we never have to judge anyone; just let them talk long enough and they will tell us who they are.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 04/13/10 - 09:15 am
"Tiger is a grown up, not

"Tiger is a grown up, not some teenager to be lectured to"- I guess Tiger is grown up enough to pursue all his childhood dreams of seducing as many white women as possible. Tiger is now back to being just an ordinary human being. He had the whole world fooled with the squeaky clean family man image, but that is no more. Would you expect the Augusta National to welcome him back with open arms, as if nothing had ever happened? The Augusta National has their own image and reputation to maintain. I would almost bet that Tiger was told to play as well as he could, but to do everything in his power not to win the Masters this year.

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/13/10 - 09:32 am
PISTOL and JOHNSTON, so

PISTOL and JOHNSTON, so you're okay with discrimination? It wasn't that long ago that someone Tiger Woods skin color wasn't allowed at the Augusta National either, except to carry bags, clean bathrooms, or bus tables. Instead of saying, "Well, that's just the way it is." why don't you ask, "Why is it, in 2010, we can have an African-American president but the good ole boys at the Augusta National still don't think women are worthy of membership?" Then ask yourself, "Gee, I wonder if the Augusta National could actually BENEFIT by having female members?" We've now have women cadets at our military academies, commissioned women to be pilots on aircraft carriers, and came pretty darn close to having a woman as president. You still think this discrimination makes any sense?

soldout
soldout 04/13/10 - 10:00 am
Being a private club hasn't

Being a private club hasn't hurt them in becoming the greatest golf tournament in the world. It is called freedom. You have the freedom to invite me to your home or have me removed by the police if I am not invited. If you make your living charging the public to come into your home and reject me because of skin color then we might have an issue.

john
john 04/13/10 - 10:27 am
theman, Im not taking up for

theman, Im not taking up for Tiger. He made his bed (pun intended) I just think that the comments by Payne were inappropriate. Just because Tiger is a scumbag in recovery doesnt give everyone license to take shots at him. Payne just came across as self rightious and condescending. Truthful or not, it was not necissary in my opinion. If they are so offended by his reprehesible behavior, they could have asked him not to play, but that would interrupt the money train so that would never happen. CYA

john
john 04/13/10 - 10:29 am
Southernguy08. PRIVATE club.

Southernguy08. PRIVATE club. I dont think I will be invited to join the Junior Leage any time soon. Wrong reproductive organs.

john
john 04/13/10 - 10:30 am
There will be women members,

There will be women members, but they will decide whom and when. I hear Condi is up there on the list.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/13/10 - 10:44 am
The problem is that Mr. Payne

The problem is that Mr. Payne has to be critical of the personal behavior of former champions in the future if he is to be fair. I've already pointed out the Tom Watson debacle which affected another golfer's family and no one said anything to him. Once you open the door to commenting on the personal lives of players, you can't close it easily.

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/13/10 - 10:45 am
SOLDOUT, you say we might

SOLDOUT, you say we might have an issue if rejection happens because of skin color. How is this different than rejection because of sex? Both are out of human control. I'm all in favor of a private club saying who can and cannot become a member. But spare me the praise over this good ole boys club that rejects half the world's population but still markets itself to bring in the tourists money at Masters time.

grinder48
grinder48 04/13/10 - 01:26 pm
Payne absolutely right in

Payne absolutely right in what he said about Woods. Secondly, this business about women being or not being members ... I get so tired of this PC crxp! I'm a male. Can I join the Augusta Woman's Club? Can I join the Junior League? Can I work out at Curves gym? Get over it!

55 F-100
55 F-100 04/13/10 - 01:29 pm
Billy Payne had every right

Billy Payne had every right to criticize Tiger Woods for his adulterous ways, and if TW was truly remorseful, he would come off of the ridiculous "there has never been any family violence in our marriage". Really ???....then why were the rear side windows of the vehicle broken out? Ye who worship at the altar of the Golf "God" have a very skewed vision of reality. As far as the criticism of Augusta National Golf Club, please notice that word "Club" which connotes that membership in the "Club" is a privilege extended to the individuals who meet the criteria for membership. Membership is a "privilege", and not a "right", ergo, if the membership criteria is for males only, then even the screaming zealots should be able to understand that females are not eligible for membership.....period.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/13/10 - 01:55 pm
As I said a few days ago,

As I said a few days ago, Tiger almost certainly got fair warning that Payne was going to chew on him in public if he decided to play the tournament. And it's not likely Billy Payne did this all on his own without consulting at least the other officers of the National if not the whole membership.

The members of the National can do what the heck they want on their own property as long as it isn't illegal. So far, we aren't being told who we have to have as our friends and who we are allowed to associate with in our personal lives. Do you need any clearer clues about the stupidity of accusing the National of discrimination?

While I don't believe there really is such a thing as "race", I know that there are real, immutable differences between men and women, and it is not necessary or even good to have to spend ALL of one's time with members of the opposite sex. If you personally can't see that, you're either very, very young or exceedingly oppressed (and that is the polite expression for it).

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 04/13/10 - 02:23 pm
John- I agree with your 10:27

John- I agree with your 10:27 am post. Had Tiger decided not ot play of his own accord, then the only thing we would have to deal with is disappointed fans. However, if the National had asked him not to play, we probably would have had to call out the military. But I stand by my assumption that he was probably advised that winning the tournament would not be in his best interest. That is strictly an assumption as I do not have an inkling of a fact to back it up.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 04/13/10 - 02:27 pm
Riverman1-In response to your

Riverman1-In response to your 10:44am post: Don't you also think this also lets Billy Payne off the hook. Say Tiger wins next year, and some reporter approaches Payne and asks what he has to say about Tiger's controversial past? At that point, all Payne has to say is that he has already said all he has to say.

reader54
reader54 04/13/10 - 03:12 pm
Tiger chose The Masters as

Tiger chose The Masters as his coming out tournament b/c of it's privacy and prestige. That only goes so far. I think The National would have been remiss had they ignored the scandal and let Tiger stroll the grounds w/o comment. They simply stated that they don't condone his behavior and it needed to be addressed. The other option would have been to ignore and thus confuse their position. BTW, the Augusta Country Club excludes women members as well.