Dissent with your ballot in November

I do not agree with our president's health-care law! Just because I don't agree, I am tarred as a right-wing radical with a Rambo mentality. I do not appreciate being stereotyped because I disagree.

To quote Sidney Hook, in his introduction to the compiled works of Thomas Paine, "government may enact measures that are unjust, so long as criticism and the right to dissent are not abridged." The passage of the health-care law was fraught with cajoling, downright deceit, unfulfilled promises and giveaways -- all to garner a positive vote. Integrity is a foreign word to the liberal politician. My dissent will be at the ballot box!

Recently I heard a young man who was very upset at having to pay health care for the elderly. I would like to have told him: "Say the same thing when and if you get old!" He probably will be a future Tea Party participant. I also would tell him that there are no atheists in foxholes. Maybe he will be the exception and will never grow old. I won't be around when he reaches my age, but he will experience the old adage that "old age ain't for sissies."

I implore all those who do not favor this law to not resort to name-calling like the speaker of the House and her ilk. Show your dissent in November. Do not dignify their diatribes!

(The writer is a retired U.S. Army first sergeant.)

Nightwing
Nightwing 04/09/10 - 12:03 am
Good response "Top". I agree

Good response "Top". I agree with you completely, name calling, threats, and endless debate is no good. The ballot in November will tell the dislike for the current state our politics are in.

GGpap
GGpap 04/09/10 - 02:11 am
Sgt. McMillan, while I do not

Sgt. McMillan, while I do not agree with your position against the health care act, I do applaud your position on how one should express their dissent appropriately. Good letter, Sgt. THANK YOU. GGpap

grouse
grouse 04/09/10 - 04:09 am
Name-calling? You mean like

Name-calling? You mean like Marxist, Socialist, baby-killer, racist, etc.? Do I understand that the Sgt. likes Medicare....a government program?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/09/10 - 06:03 am
There's a difference between

There's a difference between adjectives and "name-calling". Endless debate helps keep the easily tricked moving in the right direction. (Look what happened when we took our eye off the ball) Speak loud, speak often and vote the socialists out in November. We don't need any more hills like obamacare. Our country will be a much better place with the left removed from power.

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/09/10 - 07:02 am
I give up.

I give up.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 04/09/10 - 07:18 am
Medicare a government program

Medicare a government program huh? One that I have paid thousands upon thousands into. This new healthcare law is designed to pay out to those who have paid NOTHING into it. BIG difference, grouse.

slippery 25
slippery 25 04/09/10 - 08:08 am
Name calling is not good.

Name calling is not good. People must speak up especially with the constant lies, trillions in debt and plan dishonest dealings coming from President and Congress.

Whyisit
Whyisit 04/09/10 - 08:28 am
*YAWNS* another writer with

*YAWNS* another writer with the same mess.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 04/09/10 - 08:34 am
George III and Cornwallace's

George III and Cornwallace's biggest error was underestimating the dissent too, Whyisit. That's why I LOVE your attitude.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/09/10 - 08:40 am
To the tune of "Davy

To the tune of "Davy Crockett" for your listening pleasure:

Bareeeeeey Barry Obobblehead
King of all he surveys
Bareeeeey Barry Obobblhead
Ruining us every day

He takes from the rich
He takes from the poor
He takes from everyone till
There ain’t a middle class no mo

Barreeeeeey Barry Obobblehead
He’s our nation’s man.
Barreeeeeey Barry Obobblehead
Too bad he’s running Chavez’ plans.

He lies to the press
He lies to his wife
He lies to the people
Just like all his life

Barreeeeey Barry Obobblehead
He hates America, that’s a given
Barreeeey Barry Obobblehead
The only plan he knows is cloward/piven.

He promised FOCA
He promised GITMO
He promised wars’ end
He lied fo sho!

Barreeeeey Barry Obobblehead
King of all he surveys.
Barreeeeey Barry Obobblehead
He’s gone in 1017 days.

Chillen
Chillen 04/09/10 - 09:01 am
1017 more days? I just threw

1017 more days? I just threw up my breakfast....

Ayetidiosi- you called it the other day regarding the poster who changed their user name. They've tried changing their writing style on here but have obviously reverted back to the same old same old. Good call.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/09/10 - 09:02 am
LOL Chillen: I found 4

LOL Chillen: I found 4 different "Countdown Clocks" and all agreed. Must be a conspiracy by the evil right wing extremists, since they all say the same thing, right?

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/09/10 - 09:04 am
There's no reason to attempt

There's no reason to attempt to be different, Chillen. The AC pops a poster, the poster creates a new account, then has to earn a ban again. I kind of like the improvement. At least certain posters cannot get someone banned with a "snitch" call to the AC anymore.

as always, this post is not about any particular poster, despite their beliefs to the contrary.

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/09/10 - 09:17 am
AYET, love the song! Please

AYET, love the song! Please get it copywritten. As for dissent this November, looks like Bart Stupid, I mean, Stupak, sees the handwriting on the wall. He's "gettin out while the gettin's good." Yup, there will be more "change" this November, but the libs sure won't like it.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/09/10 - 09:21 am
AYET, love the song! Please

AYET, love the song! Please get it copywritten.
_______________________
Thanks for the kind review. I knew when I posted it , it became the property of the Augusta Chronicle, to be used by them for purposes uncompensated.
Silly me, I read the Agreement before I signed up. Very, very carefully. Ask Sean Moores, lol.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/09/10 - 09:24 am
The only leverage the

The only leverage the Democrats have left with the majority of Americans is the "white guilt" phenomenon. They have taken an immensly unpopular action that the vast majority of Americans did not want and now their only approach to try to save themselves is to convince you that if you oppose them you must be a racist. "You shouldn't oppose Communism because if you do you are just being a racist because Obama is black". It is a pathetic approach. You, who in the majority elected Obama, are now all racists because you disagree with Obama. They can sling that crap all they want to but it ain't sticking this time. They are arrogant elitist who just shoved a law down your throats which will affect your access to medical care in a negative way, will cost you higher insurance premiums and higher taxes, and which will lower your quality of care. And now they are acting shocked that you, the working Americans, are furious with them. Well guess what Democrats, it ain't because Obama is black. It is because we don't like what you Democrats just did to our healthcare, our taxes, our deficit, our country, and our Constitution. We are coming for all of you in November so take a clue from Stupak and turn in your resignation today. Scratch one more Democrat.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/09/10 - 09:34 am
You got to change your evil

You got to change your evil ways, Barry
Before your term is thru
You got to change, Barry
The American people are through with you

You always lyin, cheating, running around
Never failing to talk America down
This can’t go ooooonnnnnnn,
Oh no you got to change, Barry

You got to change your evil ways, Barry
Venezuela this is not
You got to change, Barry
Your incumbency is shot

You wantin legacy, braggin, nothing good
Sometimes I think, your head, is made of wood
This can’t goo ooooooon,
Lord knows you got to change.

Kapa18
Kapa18 04/09/10 - 10:06 am
This letter and this comments

This letter and this comments belong on the bulletin board of a kindergarten class room. First the letter, it is garbled with so many themes it makes no sense. The saddest thing to me was if I read the letter correctly, it is from senior citizen. A senior citizen who has obviously matured in age, but is bitter, confused and unwise. How does it feel to be 60+ and obtained no wisdom, no discipline. People call the Tea Party (including myself) radical and to far right because they are. This liberal/conservative label, is a label and we do not accept it. You don't like the Health Care bill, fine, then voice your opinion and move on. Spend some time with your spouse, children, friends (if you have any body that can stand your nasty demeanor) and enjoy life. It is not the end of the world (Armageddon as the Republican have termed it). We all have 1 vote in November, but I assure you if you think you speak for all Americans, or if you think you even speak for the majority of us, you are mistaken....many of us are Happy with Health Care Bill, and feel it didn't go far enough....although while we life lives that are productive, loving and oh so Peaceful. Come out in November, but know we will be out too....

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/09/10 - 10:10 am
I've got the White

I've got the White House
You've got the Congress
Let's make lots of money

I've got the brains,
You've got the looks
Let's make lots of money

The people are fools
Millions of tools
Let's make lots of money

We'll bankrupt the nation
Reduce it's station
But we'll make lots of money

Screw the citizen
They never listen
Let's make lots of money

Promise the poor
Still even more
Let's make lots of money.

MONEY! money money

Opportunites, Pet Shop Boys, sorta

GAterp
GAterp 04/09/10 - 10:12 am
Aye, yi, yi, yi, yi. Boy do

Aye, yi, yi, yi, yi. Boy do you have a lot of time on your hands. But then what tea party person does not? At least these folks are getting outdoors and getting a little vitamin D.

KSL
KSL 04/09/10 - 10:17 am
Sounds like you might be a

Sounds like you might be a little jealous, Terp.

Kapa18
Kapa18 04/09/10 - 10:21 am
I am not worried about

I am not worried about growing old, but i am worried about growing in Grace and Wisdom, something most of these posters no nothing about!! I am not mad, I pity you....you will be never know PEACE...the Peace that passeth all understanding. Thank You Mr. President for doing what only a few before you could do, what was best for this nation; Roosevelt did it when he signed social security into law; Johnson did it with medicare; Kennedy did it when he sent the troops to Alabama; Clinton did it when he signed "don't ask, don't tell", we can go on..and on...but the leader of the Free World must be ready to evolve, even if it's with 43% of the People....while he waits for the rest...so we wait, but we shall not be moved, we are not afraid...we not ashamed...It is what it is...you can't change it, you can't stop it...It's call being Progressive...Yea, say we Progressive...we were liberal at Roe vs Wade, we evolved and we Progressive...

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/09/10 - 10:22 am
Nope, not a Taxed Enough

Nope, not a Taxed Enough Already participant, but Aye likes the concept of peaceful resistance they demonstrate.

May as well quit trying to peg Aye to ideology, partisan politics, or the like. Aye is "ala carte".

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/09/10 - 10:26 am
Terp: Marvelous new

Terp: Marvelous new inventions: wireless portable internet access.
Maybe you assume just a wee bit much. Aye sees you are clever in garnering information about posters and compliments such cleverness.

Kapa18
Kapa18 04/09/10 - 10:26 am
dichotomy, "white guilt",

dichotomy, "white guilt", what is that...is it like "funky under pits", please explain it, if you can....do you have to be white to have it? Well I guess so since it's "white Guilt"...and how do you be white? Can you be white if your mother is married to a black man or if your father is married to a Korean? How do you be "White"...Are you white if your from Mexico, China, do your eyes have to blue or can they be brown...How do you be "white"???

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/09/10 - 10:32 am
For those who may confuse

For those who may confuse fact with opinion, the following is opinion:

Obama won the presidency in large part because he created the impression that he was a cure to some of the worst tendencies of his party, that he was a centrist and pragmatist. He mocked those who raised concerns about his past associations and liberal voting record. He was an empirical man, results-oriented, the antithesis of an ideologue. That is the image he presented, and it's one much of the country believed.
Yet 15 months into his presidency, Obama has governed in a very different manner. While he has for the most part been careful to avoid kicking cultural tripwires, he has, on the most important issues of the day, reinforced the worst impressions of the Democratic Party: profligate to the point of recklessness, enamored with big government, interested in centralized control and empowering the bureaucracy, a demonizer of the business world and the profit motive, and a person who believes in higher taxes and the redistribution of wealth.
It turns out Barack Obama is Lyndon Johnson on steroids.

Chillen
Chillen 04/09/10 - 10:52 am
The problem in this country

The problem in this country is that most voters are totally uneducated. They likely don't know who the VP is, who their Senators are or who their representative is. Most have no forward vision. If we do this today, what will the impact be in 10-20-30 years? What financial price will the children of tomorrow pay? Selfishly most don't care or don't know enough to care.

They vote off of emotion and clips from speeches that they hear during election season. They vote for skin color. They vote for whoever promises them the most government goodies. They vote for the candiate who supports their abortion stance. The vote for the best looking candidate or the candidate with the best body. Or for the candidate with a gift for making speeches.

Politicians are painfully smart. Years ago they identified this stupidity and have run with it for years. They know that as long as the American public remains uninvolved in politics then they can control us, spend & grow the government as much as they want. And as a collective we are too stupid to stop it.

As long as 70% of those voting fit into this profile we will not get much change. Even if a bunch of R's replace the D's. They are still primarily big government people. They are going to say anything to get elected but once they settle into the Congressional Halls they'll fit right in with 98% of them in Washington DC.

What we need is a group of local, state and federal candidates COMMITTED to reducing the size of all governments by at least 50%. With aspirations for even further reductions once that goal is attained.

Thank you to everyone who posts here, regardless of your political leanings. You all take the time to educate yourself on political matters and when you go to the voting booth at least you know what the issues and consequences are. Now if we can just get the rest of America to join us.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/09/10 - 11:05 am
These are so easy to

These are so easy to compose:
To the tune of "The Needle and The Damage Done", Neil Young

I caught you peeping at my wall safe door
You love my money and you want some more
Barry Soetero the damage done.

He left the city and went to DC
So he could steal from you and from me
We're broke, the damage done

The people voted and he somehow won
Now many wish that it could be undone
Too bad, the damage done

He admits that he did some drugs
He staffed the Black House with Chicago Thugs
Sorry job seekers, the damage done

Time will pass and he’ll be gone
Another fool will be elected to carry on
RIP America, the damage done

The time has come for us to act
We own this country and that is fact
Let’s teach them ,the damage they’ve done.

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/09/10 - 11:20 am
AYET, the lyrics in your

AYET, the lyrics in your 10:10 post, regarding this administration and congress, shouldn't the lyrics say, "Let's TAKE lots of money."?

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/09/10 - 11:23 am
Coulda. But I wanted to

Coulda. But I wanted to emphasize the FACT Obobb and Congress just get richer and richer while stealing from the "Evil Rich".
Hypocrisy: It's The American Way!