Health reform is Christian thing to do

Many Christians and other God-fearing people are in favor of health care

The April 1 editorial page consisted of three letters bemoaning the passage of the health-care bill. "The United States ceased to exist," lamented one writer, while another "witnessed the day America died." Passage of health care obviously has caused a traumatic loss for these individuals.

However great the loss this action has inflicted, it does not confer to these dissidents the right to claim moral or godly superiority. Many Christians and other God-fearing people are in favor of health care. Millions of the poor, including the working poor, cannot afford the exorbitant premiums charged by the insurance companies. They go without medical care and needed medication.

America is known as the most generous country in the world. We send millions of dollars to countries that hate us, and only practice austerity when it comes to meeting the needs of fellow Americans.

A principal reason that the three-year ministry of Jesus drew attention that has lasted more than 2,000 years was that He and his disciples healed the sick. Jesus did not ask for money or an insurance card before he healed.

Neither side of this issue has the right to question spiritual adherence or infer the lack of moral standards in the opposition.

GAterp
GAterp 04/05/10 - 04:37 pm
OK Fiat, you convinced me.

OK Fiat, you convinced me. I'm not giving to Christian causes anymore! I just don't want to throw my money at it, so I'll be at the Tea Party Rally on the 15th ginning up some support for the conservative viewpoints. Will they be serving refreshments, do you know? And ORB, I thought Robin Hood was a good guy, so thanks for the compliment. I don't have an opinion on abortion other than it's not a good thing, and since I did not impregnate anyone then I don't have a stake in their problem. And the only health care for the elderly that I care about is my own and when the time comes I'll make the decision. But I would rather leave my inheritance to my heirs than another two months of me drooling on myself. This stuff is simple, worry about yourself, the rest of the world is too complicated and quite frankly it's their problem not mine. And now thanks to Fiat I've got more money too. Maybe I can go out to dinner tonight?

Local Interests
Local Interests 04/05/10 - 04:39 pm
uptheseventhplanet: two thugs

uptheseventhplanet: two thugs (Bush/Cheney) robbed me for 8 years because the majority said they could. Now a new majority is making new changes.

Others object to the deficits even though this bill is projected to REDUCE the deficit.

The deficit problems we are experiencing now are an attempt to SAVE this country from the worst economic recession since the depression which was mostly caused by Bush/Cheney (in reality, the IRAQ war + sub-prime bust from financial deregulation + tax cuts).

I too want long-term deficit spending to be reduced like what happened under Clinton. However, I recognize that first some short-term recovery has to be completed.

This law can't be effectively be evaluated one issue at a time. There are balances where cuts to one area are balanced by additions to another.

I'm sure it is full of flaws. What we have to remember is that Bush/Cheney had 8 years to do something better and they didn't even try.

Treating uninsured citizens (some may be deadbeats but most fall into other categories that deserve compassion) in emergency rooms for common ailments is effectively an unfunded mandate.

At least this administration is trying.

falconjag
falconjag 04/05/10 - 05:05 pm
Where was the ACLU defending

Where was the ACLU defending my right not to have health insurance if I don't want it? Are they planning to sue to stop this brazen assault on my personal liberties?

huttriver
huttriver 04/05/10 - 06:12 pm
The health reform bill is a

The health reform bill is a Christian thing to do. It ensures forty million people will have healthcare, and has nothing to do with Marxism. Are you saying Britain and New Zealand, to name but two nations who are friends and allies of the US, are marxist too because they have public health systems paid for from taxation? Both these countries have state education as well, and private insurance for non-life threatening problems. Marxism indeed! Go to your library and read, read, and read! You may learn about the world a little. You may even learn how to become a caring and loving Christian while you are at it!

willie7
willie7 04/05/10 - 07:38 pm
I want to give credit to the

I want to give credit to the Republicans who have the best propganada machine going. They are happy now because they have the little people stirred up.
Their propganada is really working.
Get the masses angry and you will get their votes. Give them much misinformation, lies, and a few half-truths. You can get them going.
Great Letter Judy , keep feeding the sheep. You may help one.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 04/05/10 - 07:52 pm
European nations, Canada,

European nations, Canada, Australia and New Zealand all have national health care schemes for their citizens and they've managed for years without collapsing into fiscal turmoil. They're Christian nations more or less like the USA and they may howl about cost, but they don't seem to have a religious objection about it.

I really wonder if people using religion to oppose the bill are even remotely religious. Instead, are they the same people who object to EVERY welfare and social program anyway. And just using religion as another tool of attack. America's Catholic Nuns supported the health care bill and you certainly can't accuse those ladies of being political.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/05/10 - 08:01 pm
Springwater, European

Springwater, European nations, Canada, Australia and New Zealand all have national health care schemes for their citizens, that went into effect many years ago. In addition, they were NOT in the financial distress that America is, as it tries to unload a burdensome healthcare program on its citizens, during the time when our economy is at one of its lowest levels, ever. Please compare and research before you make these kinds of observations.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/05/10 - 08:25 pm
Sarge--Don't they called that

Sarge--Don't they called that "socialized medicine?" Hello, my man, I hope you are well today, so that you will never need socialized Health Care.

KSL
KSL 04/05/10 - 08:39 pm
Hi Nat the Cat. Glad to see

Hi Nat the Cat. Glad to see the angel cat still praying.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 04/05/10 - 09:33 pm
Sargebaby - You said European

Sargebaby - You said European nations adopted healthcare while they were in better financial positions than America is today. I'm not so sure I can agree with you there. I recall Britain's Labor party was working on the nation's healthcare bill while the country was in war and standing in bomb rubble up to their belly buttons. In fact Churchill was going to get booted out of office because he was preoccupied with the war and had little concern for the country's domestic situation.

orb
orb 04/05/10 - 10:01 pm
Local Interests You say: "I

Local Interests

You say: "I keep seeing complaints about abortion from writers. Do you not know that this bill simply keeps the Hyde amendment (no federal funding for abortion except for rape, incest or mother's health) in place. Do you really object to that?"

You are wrong. The law does not keep the Hyde Admendment. The bill passed by the House did. The bill that passed by the Senate, which became law, did not. The executive order signed by Obama is not worth the paper it is written on.

orb
orb 04/05/10 - 10:22 pm
Fiat_Lux You say: "We've been

Fiat_Lux

You say: "We've been paying for abortions overseas for decades, even though we haven't been paying for them here."

That is true only when a democrat was president. Presidents Reagan and both Bushs signed executive orders prohibiting the use of Federal funds for abortions overseas. One of Obama's first acts was to revoke that executive order.

Off topic; but did you see the Silver Tongued One spend seventeen minuted dodging a question about why he was raising taxes?

orb
orb 04/05/10 - 10:25 pm
falconjag Don't hold your

falconjag

Don't hold your breath!

orb
orb 04/05/10 - 10:28 pm
huttriver Obamacare has

huttriver

Obamacare has nothing to do with health care. It is simply a power grab by the Marxists in the democrat party. They have done this under FDR, LBJ, and now Obama!

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 04/05/10 - 10:42 pm
jackMonday, Apr. 5 4:33 PM --

jackMonday, Apr. 5 4:33 PM -- Where is all that violence in Christianity today?
----------------------

corgimom
corgimom 04/06/10 - 01:31 am
There isn't going to be any

Jack, educate yourself before you say things like "they are going to cut dialysis." No, they aren't.

However, if a dialysis center shuts down, that's another story, but that will be their choice.

butler123
butler123 04/06/10 - 10:20 am
God helps those who help

God helps those who help themselves. In your community and your church it is the christian thing to do, to help those that are down on their luck through no fault of their own. We are not doing this entitlement crowd any favors in the long run. Churches need to start preaching to their congregations about self reliance and they need to preach against people using the government handouts as a way of life. These programs were never intended to support generations of people. They are supposed to be there for a helping hand when you are down on your luck. I remember when people were embarrased about being on welfare and food stamps. People had to be pretty desperate to use them. What the heck happened?

Local Interests
Local Interests 04/06/10 - 10:37 am
Orb: Neither the House or

Orb: Neither the House or Senate version allowed federal funds to pay for abortions except for the Hyde exceptions.
The differences in the versions were just different ways of keeping the federal and private monies from being co-mingled.
You are also wrong about the power and effectiveness of Executive Orders.
All this talk of marxism is pure claptrap. Bush did more to erode the Constitution than all other U.S. presidents combined. Where was your outrage then?

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/06/10 - 12:18 pm
posted by corgimom: "There

posted by corgimom: "There isn't going to be any reduction in the number of patients on dialysis. They aren't cutting the program. However, the amount that is paid for reimbursement for dialysis will be reduced." Is this too dense or what....if you cut the reimbursement the end result is fewer patients will be able to afford the treatment, therefore there will be a reduction of patients on dialysis. If they are cutting the funds, they're cutting the program.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/06/10 - 12:45 pm
You have to wonder how that

You have to wonder how that glaring reality fails to penetrate certain craniums, don't you, ICL? You'd think the frightening and growing shortage of doctors, especially safe, decent doctors, who still accept patients on Medicaid or Medicare would have scared people away from ObamaCare.

It's simply stunning how determined so many Americans are to be stupid, even a lot of smart ones. It's almost as if they just can't wait to destroy our nation's outstanding health care system when it's so unnecessary.

The wake-up call is going to be seismic.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/06/10 - 12:50 pm
baronvonreich posted "Well

baronvonreich posted "Well you can start in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Palestinian areas of Israel then visit all the Christians who are growing in daily numbers in American jails after being convicted of violent crimes." in response to his questionn to baronvonreich "where is all that violence in Christianity today?" Baron, please go check out http://www.christiansofiraq.com/iraqichristiansunderfire.html
It is not the Christians who are violent. Christians in Iraq are being killed all the time and not by other Christians but by extreme Muslems. As for the convicted criminals in jail, I seriously doubt that many of them are Christians. I will say that some have converted to Christianity after being witnessed to through prison ministries but as a whole, your worn-out banter doesn't ring true.

GAgirl811
GAgirl811 04/06/10 - 03:34 pm
Wow, I'm surprised by how

Wow, I'm surprised by how many of you have not read this bill. I bet you still believe they are setting up death panels don't you? Some of you need to go back and do a little reading. And by reading I don't mean scanning the Fox News website. I am also appalled that you people think and characterize the people in need of healthcare reform as welfare sucking, no good, lazy, ignorant bums. That's like saying, all white Republicans are stupid, ignorant, rednecks. Most of the people that are in need of this reform have jobs and work at places w/out good health insurance or any at all. You believe that because a few people have abused the system that everyone must abuse the system. It's like crime rates. Crime rates are at an all time low but every where you look it seems like crime is rampant. It's all about perception.
Have you ever stopped to think that the very people in need of this reform are the people that FEED and SERVE you in the restaurants? That maybe these are the people that work in the retail stores that clothe your bodies, or the people that wash your cars and carry your groceries. Without these people your lives would be significantly hindered. And to those people that will inevitably retort with "well maybe you people should get better jobs". Just remember, someone has to do your dirty work, the work that is beneath you.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 04/06/10 - 03:43 pm
Gagirl ... what I'm surprised

Gagirl ... what I'm surprised about is the easy in which Obama was able to lie to the folks about what he was doing. Do you actually believe that this bill will make health care more affordable by creating a completely new layer of federal regulations and government bureaucracies for the insurance companies to deal with, while at the same time forcing an increase in the coverage they are required to pay for.

The bill does nothing to decrease the total cost of health care … it does split the cost in an effort to hide the true cost into premiums and taxes. This doesn’t even touch on the fact that the US Constitution should have been amended to allow such a government takeover of intrastate commerce.

If Obama would have been honest in his claims … I believe he would have more support.