Health-care circus hoodwinked America

For months I have been reading, listening and thinking about Obamacare. I have tried to be objective concerning the pros and cons of our new health-care law.

The entire subject is smoke and mirrors. To the politicians it's a power struggle; to the media it's a ratings struggle, motivated by profit. We can no longer count on broadcast or cable news to give us unbiased news. On both the left and right, they hammer us with their opinions day and night. Puffery, according to the pizza commercial, is an exaggeration based on opinion. The entire news broadcasting industry is currently engaged in puffery.

The real problems in America are unemployment, families losing their homes and the economy. Add up all the unemployed and their families; people who have lost their homes and their families; and all the people who have lost their life savings and their families. You will certainly have a much larger number than the 30 million who got added to government health care.

Did health care help the unemployed or the foreclosed-on-families or the people who lost all their money? Did you see them dancing in the streets and rejoicing about the health care they are going to get four years from now?

The unemployed alone, not including their families, outnumber the uninsured. We can only guess how many million homeless people there are.

Ask yourself: Would I rather have my job or health care in four years? Would I rather have my house or health care in four years? Would I rather have my life savings back or health care?

And don't hand me that crock about poor people, children and the elderly not being able to get health care. Hospitals in the CSRA spend millions of dollars a year on indigent care. No one is left to die or suffer. How many children are turned away from MCG's Childrens Medical Center because they had no money? None! Poor children have a harder time getting something to eat. Hundreds of local children go to bed hungry every day.

How many elderly people were denied basic health care by Medicaid? More people die waiting on an organ donation than from lack of health care.

It is not hard to fool the public. Congress and the media have tossed us a red herring that has totally flim-flammed Americans. Bernie Madoff could take lessons from these people.

Our troubles have just begun. Your government is going to need more money soon. Guess where they are going to get it.

orb
orb 04/01/10 - 11:12 pm
Obamacare has nothing to do

Obamacare has nothing to do with the health of the American people. It is simply a power grab by the Marxist Obama and his cohorts within the democrat party. Obamacare is simply the first major step by these people to establish a single payer system, that is Socialized medicine, in this country. It is also a continuation of the effort, beginning with Roosevelt, to destroy the Constitutional Republic of the United States and establish what the Marxist likes to call the Peoples Republic, you know, like the Peoples Republic of China.

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/01/10 - 11:26 pm
I agree with the letter

I agree with the letter writer. However, he fails to give our president enough credit. Now that he has rewarded the insurance industry with 32 million customers, he can turn his attention to the issues the writer mentioned and he will "solve" them the same way. The president used his brilliance to solve health care, magically insuring millions more, by making it illegal not to have insurance. Soon, he will lower the unemployment rate by making it illegal not to have a job. He will also end homelessness by making it illegal not to have a home. I hear he will also cure cancer by making it illegal to get it.

KSL
KSL 04/01/10 - 11:32 pm
I'm not certain that I would

I'm not certain that I would call that a reward. How many have pre-existing conditions?

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/02/10 - 01:47 am
Simply Outstanding Mr.

Simply Outstanding Mr. Sullivent. I cannot tell you how precise you have captured the frustration of the majority of Americans.
Our President is extremely skilled in his use of "slight of hand." His vice is very similar to a "pick-pocket," who just bumps into you. He basically distracts you while he is stealing your money. You know, kind of like Health Care.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/02/10 - 06:36 am
Mr Sullivent, I think it's

disssman
disssman 04/02/10 - 07:12 am
I guess that little girl on

I guess that little girl on the jar in a store in Grovetown, asking for donations to pay her surgery was a blatant lie. No one dies in america because they have no healthcare, just ask John, he knows. And people are absolutely no being denied because of a per-exhisting condition, obviously some story made up to keep insurance CEOs looking bad. Yeah people are dieing of their own choice. Now go to church John and pray that your family isn't struck with a serious illness.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/02/10 - 07:16 am
I'm with you disssman. Steal

I'm with you disssman. Steal from the rich and give to the poor. Of course, I want to decide who the rich is and I want to make a lot of other decisions that are none of my business. How about you?

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 04/02/10 - 07:45 am
self removed due to

self removed due to redundancy.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 04/02/10 - 07:43 am
If the bill was about

If the bill was about healthcare, why does it mandate the government takeover of student loans, and institute a huge civilian security force (ie brownshirts)? What does THAT have to do with health care? And now instead of being denied healthcare INSURANCE (not denied healthcare...nice attempt to spin) because of pre-existing conditions they will be denied due to rationing.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 04/02/10 - 08:20 am
More rhetoric Mr. Sullivant.

More rhetoric Mr. Sullivant. There are not more unemployed people in this country than uninsured. Those numbers are WAY off. Medical bills are ONE of the biggest reasons behind Americans filing for bankruptcy in this country. The banking industry giving out loans to people who could not really afford the loans is another. The down turn of our economy has many many different contributing factors and this is one of them. As for pre-existing conditions- when I was self employed my health insurance went up to $458 a month- too much for me at the time and I had to cancel my policy. Now I cannot purchase ANY health insurance on my own. I'm "uninsurable" because of some medical problems that happened while I was on my personal policy.

slippery 25
slippery 25 04/02/10 - 08:25 am
How to fix health care?

How to fix health care? Logical move, add 50 million dollars to the deficit with a student loan program.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 04/02/10 - 08:34 am
And if you don't do what the

And if you don't do what the healthcare Fuhrer says, he will send his "civilian security force" over to MAKE you comply. Welcome to Nazi Germany.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 04/02/10 - 09:11 am
Kind of ignorant and

Kind of ignorant and hypocritical that the LTE suggest Congress not pass this horrible piece of legislation but also suggest that Congress is responsible for or should stop people losing their jobs, their savings or having their homes foreclosed on. People get foreclosed on because they don't pay their obligation per the contract they voluntarily signed with a borrower. People lose jobs because economies and business cycles are just that, cyclical. People lose their savings because they invest and/or plan poorly. Yes government has a role in policies that can affect business cycles but only to an extent.

Ranting about a nanny state mentality then blaming unfortunate personal events on said nanny state's lack of nannying is just well......ignorant and hypocritical.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/02/10 - 10:32 am
Obama campaigned on driving

Obama campaigned on driving down the cost of healthcare, improving the quality of healthcare, and reducing the deficit. There is nothing in the healthcare law that reduces the cost of healthcare. In fact, everything in the law increases the cost of healthcare, healthcare insurance, and the deficit. And everything in the law will reduce the quality and availability of healthcare for 85% of the population. With the cuts to Medicare it may significantly reduce the availability of healthcare to senior citizens. Obama and the Democrat Socialist Party have pee'd on your head and convinced you that it's a spring shower. I guess the quality of our government run education system is truly showing up in the general population. If you can't read and can't do math things like Obamacare sound good on TV.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 04/02/10 - 10:42 am
Amazing how many people

Amazing how many people blindly support this new law, and have NO IDEA what's in it.

reader54
reader54 04/02/10 - 11:30 am
They will get the money to

They will get the money to pay for health-care from the same source that they got the $1,000,000,000,000 to pay for the war on drugs. Is it now more difficult to get drugs? Ditto for Iraq, Afghanistan, automotive and Wall St. bailouts. How about the costs associated with open borders? Is anybody attempting to solve that problem? I predict that in 5 yrs. the health-care bill will be lauded by the American people and that by Nov. it will be understood and help the Dems.

orb
orb 04/02/10 - 11:32 am
johnston.cliff "Mr Sullivent,

johnston.cliff

"Mr Sullivent, I think it's your perspective that needs adjusting. According to president obama, the money you earn and decisions you make concerning the dispersal of the money is really HIS money and HIS decisions. He'll decide where the money goes and what the decisions are and what's left over is yours to do with as you wish. No worries. The government has saved you a lot of trouble and worry. You're welcome. Now, go forth and be satisfied."

Thanks Mr. Johnston. Now I know where Obama is getting his "stash" some of the folks keep talking about. Where do I get in line?

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/02/10 - 11:36 am
"Tax the rich...feed the

"Tax the rich...feed the poor...til there are no rich no more..."

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/02/10 - 11:44 am
KSL, in response to your

KSL, in response to your comment, yes, I would call it a reward. I spoke with my insurance company on Wednesday. They said they could add anything I want to my insurance company I want, but that it will cost me. It's like going out to eat. You can add bacon to your burger, but it costs. You're right some of the new customers will have pre-existing conditions, but they will also have to pay higher premiums. Some of the customers will also be young, healthy people who never go to the doctor. Did you see what happened with insurance company stock the day the bill passed?

DaddyFrog
DaddyFrog 04/02/10 - 11:56 am
The state governments could

The state governments could have regulated the insurance companies & HMO's and avoided 2,400 pages of legalese that nobody understands.The states could have eliminated the lifetime cap, stopped the companies from dropping people in the middle of an illness, denying coverage for pre-existing conditions, etc., all with the stroke of a pen.But they didn't.People complain that the government will chose your doctor and ration your care.The HMO's and insurance companies were doing it before.They told you and your doctor how long you could stay in the hospital.If fact they told you which doctor they would pay for.I know a couple whose little girl was near death for a year.When the million dollar cap was reached the company cut them off.What would you do in a case like that? Your child is deathly ill and now no insurance.
I don't like the healthcare law because too much is hidden in it, and the cost will end up taxing us to death.But changes were needed, and the elected officals who could have changed thing turned a deaf ear, allowing all this mess we have now.I feel most of the blame lies with state legislatures and state insurance commissioners.

Rhetor
Rhetor 04/02/10 - 12:00 pm
Circus? Circus? The people

Circus? Circus? The people who gave us Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are complaining about a circus? Really? Are you kidding?

Rhetor
Rhetor 04/02/10 - 12:16 pm
BTW, once the hype calms

BTW, once the hype calms down, most people will see that the health care law isn't socialized medicine, that it is not a government takeover, and that its provisions will help almost all Americans. It is far from perfect, but it was desperately needed.

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/02/10 - 12:32 pm
You're right, Rhetor. Those

You're right, Rhetor. Those who oppose this bill are just ignorant. We don't learn so good. Once our politicians set us straight, our eyes will be opened. We all know that we can trust politicians. If Democrats were sincere, they would push for a Constitutional Amendment to truly make health care a right.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 04/02/10 - 12:55 pm
Rhetor and Insider...what do

Rhetor and Insider...what do student loans and a civilian security force have to do with health care? Why is it in the new law? It seems that most of those who support the law (it's not a bill anymore) are quite ignorant of what is actually in it....have you read it? I have.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 04/02/10 - 01:49 pm
This guy, like most of the

This guy, like most of the progreSSives, don't care about the constitution....just as long as you do as they say!

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 04/02/10 - 03:17 pm
Insider ... democrats don't

Insider ... democrats don't care enough about the US Constitution to do it right.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/02/10 - 10:31 pm
Who's the fools? 2700 pages

Who's the fools? 2700 pages of legal garbage where they guarantee to take our money, rob Medicare, and raise insurance premiums. Nowhere to I see a guarantee of service or guarantee a quality of service. A complete takeover of healthcare and our wallets and I don't see a guarantee one that I will get a new liver, kidney, heart transplant, or even a colonoscopy. Does anyone else think that we should have made them give us a contract before we signed up for this crap? Looks like the deal kind of says "we are going to take your money and you will get what we give you".

carcraft
carcraft 04/02/10 - 11:16 pm
I have asked repeatly "How is

I have asked repeatly "How is using 10yrs of taxes to pay for 6 years of health coverage sustainable?" Even Obumbler doesn't understand what is in this bill or he lied when he said "When I sign this bill even if your child has a preexisiting illness they can get insurance"!!

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/02/10 - 11:24 pm
carcraft - That was never the

carcraft - That was never the goal of it. It only needs to "sustain" until the 2012 elections. Once it kicks in (after that) and folks start to feel the pain they can't get treated for.......well you know.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 04/03/10 - 08:46 pm
I have also asked previously,

I have also asked previously, how can you insure an additional 30 million people, and expand the IRS, and create over 100 new federal bureaucracies, and do away with pre-existing conditions, and allow parents to keep kids on their insurance until they are 25, and add 16 million people to the Medicaid rolls, etc, etc, and all this will ultimately save money???? OMG, what planet are you from, if you believe this bilge? The CBO, who in their defense I feel is trying their very best, has already admitted an error about the impact on the national debt over 20 years, by over 2 TRILLION DOLLARS!!!! Get real folks, this is a disaster for everyone, and will most likely bankrupt our country.