Here's what the Census is really for

From a recent letter sent to Americans by the U.S. Census Bureau:

"Results from the 2010 Census will be used to help each community get its fair share of government funds for highways, schools, health facilities, and many other programs that you and your neighbors need.

"(WARNING:) Without a complete, accurate census, your community may not receive its fair share."

The Census is for the purpose of "apportioning the House of Representatives," according to the U.S. Constitution, Article 1, Section 2, Clause 3 -- the Census Act of 1790.

Does anyone else see a difference?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/18/10 - 09:28 pm
Why are we giving any more

Why are we giving any more information than how many people are in any given household? Isn't it true, that according to the constitution that is all that was supposed to be needed? Is it true that a law was passed saying we are required by law to answer the census and allowing people to be fined if they do not answer all the unnecessary questions that have been added?

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 03/18/10 - 11:31 pm
Well said Chuck! The "Nanny"

Well said Chuck! The "Nanny" state mentality is infiltrating every level of our society, as most Americans look at the handouts as being free. Actually, as everyone knows deep down, they are anything but free. Someday, the Piper will have his due. Thanks for the reminder!

carcraft
carcraft 03/19/10 - 04:23 am
Why do census takers care

Why do census takers care what race, ethnic origin or back ground I have? I put American in all the "ethnic" boxes...it is none of the governments business what "ethnic" origin I am.

carcraft
carcraft 03/19/10 - 04:26 am
I am not even sure..A little

I am not even sure..A little store, when the Sally Hemmings genetic studies broke there was a "white or caucasan" family that was actually black in origin being the descedants of Sally Hemmings...So who cares?

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 03/19/10 - 05:06 am
I want to know why they want

I want to know why they want my phone number. There is NO way I'm giving that to them!

deekster
deekster 03/19/10 - 05:31 am
All of the "information"

All of the "information" about you is contained in the "census bar code". Remember the "census bar code". You are merely "verifying" data they already have, as with your Income Tax Return. We live in the information age. you. You can be any "race" you desire. The government knows who and where you are. They have records of every financial transaction, except cash. Every phone call record. The government needs this information to "keep us safe".

deekster
deekster 03/19/10 - 05:34 am
I called Bank of America

I called Bank of America yesterday. One of the "robotic options" was to "send money to Mexico via a secure transaction". Did you see all of the "Hispanic Refernces" on the 2010 Census Form?

deekster
deekster 03/19/10 - 05:36 am
The 2010 Census cannot be

The 2010 Census cannot be about "representation". We have no representation in Washington. We have a "dictator" and a "puppet Congress and Supreme Court"

deekster
deekster 03/19/10 - 05:39 am
This could be the ultimate

This could be the ultimate "Damien Movie". A "racist slave owning country" is suddenly ruled by a mixed race offspring of an African man and a white woman.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/19/10 - 05:55 am
Democrats probably take the

Democrats probably take the census forms they get in the mail to H and R Block thinking they are going to get another earned income credit.

southernguy08
southernguy08 03/19/10 - 06:10 am
I was told that with an

I was told that with an accurate count, Georgia will probably add two more members to the House of Representatives. Great...two more idiots to thumb their noses at the people like this arrogant idiot in the White House.

Chillen
Chillen 03/19/10 - 06:56 am
We are living in a "me"

We are living in a "me" society. The census wording demonstrates that clearly. It's all about what's in it for "me". Even they are smart enough to know that your average citizen would not be motivated to return it if they droned on about adding representatives to your state.

At least with this census states like California who have been losing population should lose representatives. A few less lefty-nuts to help "radically transform America". It can't happen fast enough.

disssman
disssman 03/19/10 - 07:15 am
My but aren't we all proud to

My but aren't we all proud to be americans this morning? I intend to fill out the Census forms just as soon as they send me some with my native language included and it ain't mexican. I have found the most effective solution is to call them and start babbling in my native tongue. On another note, I am sure you all appreciate companys that target mexicans and you do the same thing I do - boycott them. Or are you just belly aching and look past things you don't like?

chel
chel 03/19/10 - 08:36 am
@deekster: the questions on

@deekster: the questions on the hispanic references I was told comes from the fact that on the new Health Care bill posted on the web, they are proposing to give amnesty to the millions who are here illegally so their numbers will now count and districts will be redrawn so that the democrats can remain in power.

southernguy08
southernguy08 03/19/10 - 09:01 am
CHEL, don't you know such

CHEL, don't you know such talk is just "scare and smear" tactics, and is the work of "right wing Republicans" on talk radio and Fox News? It must be so...Nancy Pelosi said it and we all know she never lies. "We have to pass the bill, so you can find out what's in it." Nancy Pelosi

chel
chel 03/19/10 - 09:08 am
@southern: yep I

@southern: yep I know........just like you and I both know the left will always make these claims because that way they can avoid making logical and rational explanations of why they support such a bill that will either give them a pink slip from their boss or an IOU from the Govt. when it is time to get their SS benefits!

KNECKBONE
KNECKBONE 03/19/10 - 10:02 am
i put canine american as my

i put canine american as my ethnic orgin

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/19/10 - 01:01 pm
Sigh. The Constitution

Sigh. The Constitution requires the headcount, but the Constitution does NOT say that that is ALL that the government can ask. Perfectly valid Federal laws can and do require us to give additional information to the census. This is a dead horse everyone should stop beating.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 03/19/10 - 03:22 pm
Nobody answered my question.

Nobody answered my question. Why do they need my telephone number?

55 F-100
55 F-100 03/19/10 - 04:16 pm
The only information required

The only information required is the number of people living in the residence as of April 1, and do the residents live there year round. Answer those two questions and place the form back in the return mail, because the other information is for the A.C.O.R.N. thug recruiters during the re-election (ha-ha-ha) campaign for Prezbhojangles in 2012.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/19/10 - 05:04 pm
Hi Overburdened Taxpayer. I

Hi Overburdened Taxpayer. I also feel your burden. As to the telephone number, I plan to leave it blank. As of today, there is no federal law requiring you to have a telephone. So there are plenty of people who will be leaving that line on the census form blank.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/21/10 - 02:04 pm
55 F-100 Much as I would like

55 F-100 Much as I would like to do as you say 55 F-100, if I did that, I and anyone else that does as you say, would be fined for not completing the form and I can't afford that. Let the people that can afford to be fined challenge it. Most of us can't afford the time or the money to wrangle with the authorities over this. I don't want strangers coming to my door with an armed escort insisting that I fill out the form completely.