Innocent joke or poisonous hate?

An unsigned Augusta Chronicle editorial March 11, titled "The Left's pro-pollution stance," defended Glenn Beck from a joke that Bill Maher cracked about him in his monologue on the HBO series Real Time . The editorial suggested that Glenn Beck represents "traditional American values."

Several months ago, Glenn Beck joked about slipping poison in Nancy Pelosi's drink. I would like to ask the author of this Augusta Chronicle editorial one question: Does he consider poisoning the speaker of the House a traditional American value?

Mark Gelbart

Augusta

soldout
soldout 03/15/10 - 06:58 pm
If Obama isn't a racist he

If Obama isn't a racist he certainly enjoys their company a lot and speaks highly of those who are. He also has an age bias as he thinks it is okay to abort the unborn.

corgimom
corgimom 03/15/10 - 07:32 pm
Who cares what jokes

Who cares what jokes entertainers make about each other?

chascush
chascush 03/15/10 - 08:34 pm
If you want too understand

If you want too understand what Hussein stands for read his book Dreams from My Father. He said he disclaimed his mother race when he was 13. He blames the white man for all the evil in the world and wants ‘social justice’.

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/16/10 - 03:27 am
Dems are evil.

Dems are evil.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/16/10 - 04:50 am
Marxist Dems are more evil.

Marxist Dems are more evil.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/16/10 - 05:18 am
Mark Gelbert, see Jon

Mark Gelbert, see Jon Stewart, Bill Maher, Steven Colbert. Hate spew? I think Dems just call it the news.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 03/16/10 - 05:26 am
Was Glenn Beck making a joke

Was Glenn Beck making a joke concerning Nancy Pelosi or formulating a plan to save America? Hmmmmm.........

Notreally
Notreally 03/16/10 - 06:00 am
Most republicans are racist,

Most republicans are racist, evil, angry and bitter people more so now than ever. They need to poll them and specifically ask them when did you become this way, Nov 08 or Jan 09? just evil, angry, racist and bitter.

Notreally
Notreally 03/16/10 - 06:07 am
funny johnston.cliff you need

funny johnston.cliff you need to see Laura Ingraham, Tammy Bruce, Levin, Savage, Limbaugh, the John Birch society, Richard Spencer, Michelle Malkin, Dan Riehl.....

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 03/16/10 - 06:36 am
I guess my question to you

I guess my question to you notreally is when did you quit being angry, racist, bitter? Nov 08 or Jan 20? Or have you really quit being all those things?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/16/10 - 06:56 am
It was a joke, Mr. Gelbart.

It was a joke, Mr. Gelbart. Lighten up.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 03/16/10 - 07:06 am
So I guess your answer is

So I guess your answer is that you haven't quit. I was raised by a family that believed in thinking for yourself, not picking up anyone's bias' and/or predjudices. Mine do not include race but do include a bias against those things that lead to bigger and stronger government and less personal responsibility. It would make no difference if it was Obama or some old white dude. If their policies were the same I would be equally biased.

Notreally
Notreally 03/16/10 - 07:14 am
LOL if you say so.

LOL if you say so.

GAterp
GAterp 03/16/10 - 08:27 am
Bill Maher is actually a good

Bill Maher is actually a good political satirist and sometimes quite funny. His first show on HBO this year was rather good. The next two were not as good as the first one. Glenn Beck to me is just plain nuts. He's a populist playing on the anger and fear of the mob. He serves no real useful purpose.

southernguy08
southernguy08 03/16/10 - 08:27 am
NOTREALLY, ever looked at a

NOTREALLY, ever looked at a segment of POLITICALLY INCORRECT with Bill Maher? They should rename it the Bash Bush and the Republicans Show, because that's all they do. As for double standards, hate, and racism, you're accusing the Republicans of this and not the Dems? Just look at our history, including symbols that are still with us. See the Confederate battle flag on top of the SC House? Guess who put it there. It wasn't Republicans, and it's still there! Thanks for giving us a good laugh.

GAterp
GAterp 03/16/10 - 08:33 am
Right Southern Man. It was

Right Southern Man. It was put there to commemorate the 100 year Anniversary of the start of the War of Sessesion in 1960. It was put up there by the Dixiecrats or Southern Democrats who changed their leopard spots when the Kennedys & Lyndon Johnson passed the Civil Rights legislation. I always wondered why these folks forgot to take the flag down when the 100th Anniversary of the loss of the War of Seccession took place in April 1965? Maybe they just couldn't get over it? Who knows, and frankly who cares. Leave it up there, and maybe put an Argentinean flag somewhere on the grounds too!

southernguy08
southernguy08 03/16/10 - 08:49 am
GATERP, read you history

GATERP, read you history books, you'll find that Ernest Hollings, a Democrat, was governor at the time, and could have vetoed this. Hollings never "changed his spots," and served as Dem senator of SC for many years. As for passage of the Civil Rights legislation, funny how you fail to mention that no southern DEMOCRATIC senator voted for it, and it only passed BY THE SUPPORT OF REPUBLICANS. Sorry a little thing like facts are so inconvenient, but I'll bet a majority of liberals, especially African-Americans, know this.

Notreally
Notreally 03/16/10 - 09:41 am
Southernguy08 glad it's not

Southernguy08 glad it's not flying over GEORGIA LOL. SC can keep it.

Notreally
Notreally 03/16/10 - 09:44 am
Southernguy08 I guess you

Southernguy08 I guess you laughing as well at the fact that the KKK, Nazi lovers, and skin heads uses it to right as a proud symbol. Is yours flying proudly over your ROOF TOP LOL.

Notreally
Notreally 03/16/10 - 09:48 am
Glenn Beck is a LOONEY he

Glenn Beck is a LOONEY he told his followers to leave their church LOL. Now if that's not the spirit of the antichrist. He's the FEARMONGER and Chief. I'm sure someone soon is going to do something drastic and harmful in the name of Beck, mark my words.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 03/16/10 - 09:51 am
"He also has an age bias as

"He also has an age bias as he thinks it is okay to abort the unborn."- and according to his stance on health care reform, Obama thinks that someone of advanced age should not receive adequate medical care, but rather be treated with just an aspirin to alleviate pain unitl death. Any one who thinks health care reform is about providing health care better think twice.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 03/16/10 - 10:01 am
Gaterp-"Glenn Beck to me is

Gaterp-"Glenn Beck to me is just plain nuts. He's a populist playing on the anger and fear of the mob. He serves no real useful purpose" Glenn Beck was auditioned for a spot on local talk radio, but his views at the time were too liberal. He only made the change to conservatism after being fired by CNN. Most of his topics just incite fear, and there is nothing that can be done by the public. A few weeks ago, he was promoting taking an online quiz that would help one determine their political standing. It turns out the quiz was slanted toward a libertarian outcome. I consider myself a conservative republican, but the quiz said I was Libertarian. After further research, i found out the quiz was worded in such a way that there were only two possible outcomes, you were either identified as liberal or libertarian. Beck is not a mainstream conservative, so I don't give him much credence.

Notreally
Notreally 03/16/10 - 10:13 am
Glenn Beck is spewing LUNACY.

Glenn Beck is spewing LUNACY.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/16/10 - 10:26 am
"Glenn Beck is spewing

"Glenn Beck is spewing LUNACY."

One should confirm before commenting. Simple political bias does not negate truth!

GAterp
GAterp 03/16/10 - 10:50 am
Southern Man, Fritz Hollings

Southern Man, Fritz Hollings was afraid to buck the racial government that was SC. He was a lukewarm, milk toast senator too. You know like most Southern boys who have things handed to them, but don't really have to work for it. Keep your flag, your nutty governor, and everything else that comes out of the second-rate state that is SC. Soon to be the Yucca Mountain of the East. Keep the flag on the Statehouse grounds or fly it high. It's a Loser flag anyway. Historical, yes it is; but the history is one that lost. That's why they call it the Lost Cause. It never had a chance to win. Industrial beats Agricultural any day of the week. You wahoos just could not figure that out or you would not have fired on Fort Sumter.

GAterp
GAterp 03/16/10 - 10:55 am
Man ITM, please first of all

Man ITM, please first of all change your beautiful avatar. Secondly, you sound like an Independent/Liberitarian and that's good. I frankly am a liberal with conservative personal practices. So we are probably singing from the same hymnal, even though you'll never catch me inside of a church. Beck, like most other pseudo-journalists, are just in it for the money. I'd make sure those rich blabber mouths are really paying their fair share in US Treasury taxes.

bettyboop
bettyboop 03/16/10 - 10:56 am
My my..GA got a little State

My my..GA got a little State envy going on...LOL

Notreally
Notreally 03/16/10 - 11:19 am
LUNACY *SLAMS GAVEL*

LUNACY *SLAMS GAVEL*

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/16/10 - 11:36 am
Political bias breaks the

Political bias breaks the handle!

butler123
butler123 03/16/10 - 12:02 pm
I'm truly offended at being

I'm truly offended at being called a racist because I'm not a democrat and the president is black. I don't care if the president is purple. I simply don't agree with the democrats policies. It is funny that a democrat says that most repubs are racist , when in actuality your ignorant white democrats are the most racist people there are. I'll bet 90% of kkk members are democrats.