Mayor measures twice, cuts once

There is an axiom that was first related to me by my grandfather: "Measure twice and cut once." I do believe that Mayor Deke Copenhaver is doing just that.

Please do not consider me an interloper, but before Deke Copenhaver became mayor of Augusta, the Augusta city government was a fiasco. I retired here in 1986, and do believe in the Fourth Estate. I have been a subscriber to your paper from the day of my arrival in the CSRA. To read about the shenanigans going on at Augusta Commission meetings was embarrassing.

To borrow a saying from our Army's artillery, Mayor Copehaver has " lent dignity to what otherwise would have been a vulgar brawl!" But these past few weeks your editorial staff has been extremely hard on the mayor. With all the lawsuits that have been filed and payoffs to some not-so-qualified personnel, I can understand why Mayor Copenhaver has "measured twice and cut once."

Does The Chronicle have an agenda? Impressions are that the editorials suggest that The Chronicle may have its own candidate to support for the next mayor.

Stephen B. McMillan

Grovetown

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 03/04/10 - 09:39 pm
I wonder who it may be that

I wonder who it may be that the AC is going to endorse for our next Mayor, or is Johnny Edwards just a real bad journalist who is on the chopping-block?

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 03/04/10 - 09:55 pm
I don't know but Mr. McMillan

I don't know but Mr. McMillan has a point and it seems that the Chronicle may have someone else in mind. I am sure Brad will have plenty to say about this one. LOL

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 03/04/10 - 09:59 pm
Brad, we can't wait to hear

Brad, we can't wait to hear whom you are going to endorse for Mayor!

concernednative
concernednative 03/05/10 - 04:16 am
The AC is setting you all up.

The AC is setting you all up. They are just roughing up Copenhaver a little so when they endorse him they will appear to have some meeasure of objectivity. Gratham, Aitken, and Copenhaver are going in for the kill. The Boardman's, Morris, and the other elite are finding cash flow a little difficult in this tought economy so they will feed at the city trough for until thing get better.

deekster
deekster 03/05/10 - 06:28 am
Mr. McMillan, you think you

Mr. McMillan, you think you are embarrassed? Try living in the same "corruption with different players" for 70 years. ARC is not the only "county" in Georgia "mired" in political corruption. Look at the history of Georgia. Look at a state with 159 counties? Why 159 tiny kingdoms? Costly duplication in mass proportions. Each and everyone belongs to a "wealthy family/familes, i.e. local bankers/money men". They are like "mini plantations". Each surviving off of "indentured sservants". County Sheriffs have taken the place of "over seers". No chains. Taxes and more taxes enslave the citizens. From "bootlegging bosses" to and every ending list of "political cronies". I travel a great deal. When you say you are from Augusta GA, the number one reaction is "Fort Gordon". Everyone seems to have been at or had a relatives stationed at Fort Gordon. Few connect to the Masters Tournament.. Generally I have to add The Masters as a "qualifying" side note. "Oh yea, the golf tournament". Augusta is defined by Fort Gordon. Has been, will be. Richmond County is a "government town". That is not a bad thing. Just fact. Look at other cities that are near large military bases. The attract similar cultures. Fort Gordon is the driving force for real estate development. SRS was a driving force in the real estate development in its beginnings. Politicians and their friends make millions off of these "captive audiences". I guess it is left over from the War Between the States. Absolute Control?

deekster
deekster 03/05/10 - 06:35 am
Deke Coperhaver-Boardman, its

Deke Coperhaver-Boardman, its on the deed, and his supporters have made an issue out of nothing. Anyone who has the funds and the people to put on a peaceful, tasteful parade or town meeting can do so without "an act of Congress". This was a "show" plain and simple. Contrived by a "young charismatic U.S. Senator" want to be. Press for Press sake? Celebrities, of which Deke is certainly one, don't mind bad press. "They love all press". Get your "bumper sticker early". Deke for U.S. Senate.

deekster
deekster 03/05/10 - 06:35 am
Deke is another "community

Deke is another "community organizer".

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/05/10 - 06:42 am
Copenhaver represents the way

Copenhaver represents the way for Augusta to move ahead. This is a huge change for this area and many are finding it difficult to understand that payola and cronyism don't fit in with Deke's s.o.p. . Confusion reigns amongst those that have grown used to the wheel-spinnin' methods of the past. Deke won't be controlled, so until a way is found to force him out of office, the whining will have to continue.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/05/10 - 06:47 am
You might have a good idea

You might have a good idea there, deekster. Wouldn't Deke be a huge improvement over the U.S. senators currently holding office from Ga.? I don't ever see it happening, but it's a good idea.

deekster
deekster 03/05/10 - 06:49 am
Tiger at the 2010 Masters.

Tiger at the 2010 Masters. Deke in the US Senate. Call VEGAS!!!!!!

southernguy08
southernguy08 03/05/10 - 07:32 am
Gee CONCERNED, you don't say?

Gee CONCERNED, you don't say? Tell me, was there a second gunman behind the grassy knoll?

dashiel
dashiel 03/05/10 - 08:03 am
Thank you, Mr. McMillan, for

Thank you, Mr. McMillan, for writing the kind of LTE I'd like to see more of in the Chronicle. As an alert citizen/subscriber, you have raised legitimate questions that deserve reasonable answers from a "news"paper that demonstrates no distinction between its front page and its editorial page.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 03/05/10 - 08:50 am
I am so glad to see this

I am so glad to see this story having legs for another day in the Chronicle. It seems that everytime I think I won't have to comment, they go and print another letter like this.

Deke is not a fella you gather around during a time of crisis, his lack of action when needed shows us that, but he is not ALL bad.

As I have said many times before, Deke is the mayor Augusta deserves but not the leader it needs.

Brad

P.S. Nat, I can't wait to see who is running either. I will wait until all the hats are in the ring before I choose sides. I may put out my own ticket like Senator Walker once did. He once produced the "Democratic Ticket." I may produce the "Independent Ticket."

BO

catfish20
catfish20 03/05/10 - 09:04 am
Steve, I agree with you 100%.

Steve, I agree with you 100%.

disssman
disssman 03/05/10 - 09:07 am
Who wants to bet that

Who wants to bet that regardless of who is running, we re-elect the same old good old boy?

WW1949
WW1949 03/05/10 - 10:08 am
Mayor Copenhaver has brought

Mayor Copenhaver has brought dignity back to the Mayor's Office and has every right to seek another opinion on things instead of making decisions that could turn out wrong. The commission is now calmer and much better. I wish Mayor Copenhaver and his lovely wife Melisa all the best and so should you.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 03/05/10 - 02:09 pm
W1949, are you saying that

W1949, are you saying that Mayor Bob Young, Mayor Larry Sconyers, and Mayor Willie Mays were 'undignified?'

Your statement is as if the Mayor's office was plauged with scandal and corruption.

Deke is a nice guy but I mean come on,

Brad

WW1949
WW1949 03/06/10 - 12:12 am
No I am not saying that at

No I am not saying that at all. It was a rebuttle to all that make the inference that Deke is not qualified and also making lite of him for asking others about the right of the people to have a gay parade. Also polking at his inlaws who happen to be very good for Augusta. Nothing was ever said about corruption or intergrity of any other mayor. You mentioned that.

deekster
deekster 03/06/10 - 09:07 am
Everything is beautiful, In

Everything is beautiful,
In its own way;
Under Deke's leadership,
The world will find a new day.

Charges for sex offender

A man convicted of sex charges in Columbia County, who then went to prison for child molestation in south Georgia is back behind bars.