You just can't deny climate change

Global warming is a misnomer -- it should be "climate change." And climate change is all about extremes -- more drought, more flooding, more blizzards, more hurricanes of epic strength, more earthquakes, more seas rising, more ice melting, birds and bees dying, etc.

Certainly, big business could never give up a dollar of profit to help the environment. And you can bet that the spokespeople for big business are out there doing their very best to make a joke out of what is called global warming. But the record snowfalls are much more proof of climate change than they are proof there is no global warming.

Climate change is real and will continue to accelerate whether you say it is so or not. Humans are the main cause whether you say so or not. Groups such as Monsanto and the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program are out there altering your weather -- so make fun of Al Gore all you like. I'll check back in 10 years and see how you feel then.

Arielle Smith

Washington, Ga.

soldout
soldout 02/20/10 - 11:02 pm
The weather runs in cycles;

The weather runs in cycles; always has; always will. It has zero to do with man. Anyone who thinks God made an earth so delicate that man could mess it up has to think man is smarter than God. If you have to lie and hide data then your case must be pretty weak. Everything is always mostly about money. There are very few leaders left with character that can be believed. Somewhere around 1960 men decided God was a problem and let's get His word and influence out of every institution possible. Pretty soon those same men will realize God is the solution; the only solution. We have made a pretty big mess out of the what was created by Christian leaders at our founding and gave us the greatest nation in the history of man. Godly wisdom created it and man's wisdom is making a mess of it.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 02/20/10 - 11:08 pm
So, Ms Smith, the warmer

So, Ms Smith, the warmer weather over the years, is a sure sign of "Global Warming", and now you say that the record snowfalls are also a sure sign as well? Seems kind of contradictory doesn't it? Further, I guess you completely dismiss the same scientists that were instrumental in starting this hoax in the first place, now admitting that they cooked the data. Just the other day, Professor Phil Jones of Britain's University of East Anglia openly admitted in an interview with the BBC that there has been no statistically significant warming in the earth's atmospheric temperatures since 1995. Continue to dismiss all the real evidence if so choose, but you are right about one thing. I'll will also check back in 10 years and see how you feel then.

Chillen
Chillen 02/21/10 - 12:11 am
I needed a good laugh before

I needed a good laugh before going to bed. Thank you for providing that for me Ms. Smith.

But seriously, you had to know this was going to spark a good bit of discussion. There is just way too much doubt as to the validity of global warming.

Pu239
Pu239 02/21/10 - 02:18 am
10 years Arielle? Surely you

10 years Arielle? Surely you jest? What's going to happen in 10 years? In the grand scheme of things ,10 years is miniscule. What happened to the hurricane season that just passed? Was it waiting on a few more carbon credits? Wasn't the last significant snowfall for our area in the early 70's? Was that climate change some kind of a 10 year half-life that mutated Arielle? I'm still amazed by the pompous, arrogant people that prophesize gloom and doom no matter "whether you say so or not." And for the record….I can deny climate change is manmade, just as easily as you can assert it is.

Ann
Ann 02/21/10 - 02:22 am
I can't believe the

I can't believe the uninformed comments I see about climate change. It was a horrible mistake to have called the result of adding billions of tons of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere "global warming", because people ran away with the notion that the Earth was going to warm up uniformly. "Climate change" became used instead to describe what is obviously happening to the atmosphere, and therefore weather patterns around the globe. It was predicted as long ago as 1831 that the gases poured into the atmosphere at the start of the Industrial Revolution would eventually result in climate disruptions. Of course, people will say that the Earth's climate has always undergone changes. Of course it has! The BIG difference is that natural climate changes happen over tens of thousands of years, whereas the dramatic changes we've seen in recent decades have been comparatively very rapid. We can measure how much carbon has been in the atmosphere for the past 600,000 years in ice cores, and we know that levels are very high at present. Where did all that heat-trapping gas come from? It wouldn't be from burning oil and coal, would it? We know that carbon and methane trap heat in the atmosphere. We know how much we're emitting, so why wouldn't the Earth warm up? The thing is that it's not warming consistently, and it is this that causes people to doubt the fact of climate change. Some places are hotter than before, some places are wetter or drier, some are colder. All this has been predicted as part of climate change effects. Many species are already going extinct because they are too sensitive to "weather" the changes. Sea levels are rising. Glaciers are melting. The Arctic ice is melting faster than predicted. Peruvian and Chilean glaciers will be gone in 10 years and the trickle-down effect that irrigates crops will disappear this rendering the land too dry for crop and grazing land. The warming Arctic Ocean is slowing the speed of the Gulf Stream, which is having a serious drought effect in southern Europe. Vineyards in southern Spain have already been dug up and moved north. You know, it does really matter whether you think human-caused climate changes are happening or not. After a couple of hundred years of dumping burned fossil fuels that Nature had safely stored underground into the air, and cutting down the Earth's forests that used to absorb the CO2, and killing off a lot of marine phytoplankton (that also absorbed the gas) by reducing the ozone layer's ability to screen out the UVB that harms or kills it, we are probably too late to do anything about it anyway. If we're not too late we need to have every country in the world making a combined effort to stop GHG emissions within the next five years. In our greed-driven society, this is not going to happen, so we are essentially TOAST. I am absolutely sure that the climate deniers will be laughing on the other sides of their faces within 20 years. Nature, not humans, bats last! We're not going to win this one, so laugh away while you can.

We're not facing climate change. What we're facing is far more serious: it's called Planet Change.

Ann
Ann 02/21/10 - 02:36 am
Correction to above

Correction to above comment:

"You know, it DOES really matter whether you think human-caused climate changes are happening or not." should read "You know, it DOESN'T really matter whether you think human-caused climate changes are happening or not."

What I mean is humans and what humans think doesn't matter.

If you SUBTRACT the natural processes (eg entire forests of woody plants, and carbon "sinks" such as wetlands, and marine phytoplankton) that absorb carbon, and ADD CO2 from burning fossilized plants that were not even part of natural processes and cycles for millions of years (because they were buried in the ground), and SUBTRACT oxygen (because the trees that have been cut down and the wetlands that have been drained are no longer making it) then you're going to impact the atmosphere because you are making a huge imbalance by subtracting what should be there and adding what shouldn't. It's impossible not to have consequences from doing this, and this is why weather patterns (climate) is undeniably changing.

Pu239
Pu239 02/21/10 - 02:52 am
Ann.....let's just agree to

Ann.....let's just agree to euthanize about 80% of the world’s population ok? The planet can surely support that many people and their transgressions against nature, correct? Heck......we might even have a "new" ice age courtesy of us lowly humans. Regarding your comments, I say there is as much science to debunk your theories, as there is to support them.

crackertroy
crackertroy 02/21/10 - 03:11 am
I'm not sure about climate

I'm not sure about climate change and what causes it or if it really does exist but I do wish I didn't have to drive 30 minutes to get to "nature." My heart sinks every time I see another plot of trees/forest plowed under to put up another parking lot/strip mall. Meanwhile there are countless abandoned parking lots/strip malls (and actual shopping malls) that remain vacant and dilapidated everywhere. In 20 years there'll be another Wal-Mart on the shores of Clarks Hill Lake. The "newer" Wal-Marts in Evans and Grovetown will be converted call centers and otherwise abandoned parking lots.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/21/10 - 03:19 am
Even with all of the secret

Even with all of the secret e-mails being reveal by the perpetrators of the "man-made climate change hoax" and all of the admissions of disreputable "scientists" for their support of this hoax and all of the facts supporting the cyclic weather change and it's relationship to phony AWG scam, many people still have the quasi-religious belief of the promoted scam. They'll never change. I'm glad the AC finds time and space to allow these "tru-believers" to vent. We need the contrast to reason.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/21/10 - 04:21 am
I'm still waiting to hear how

I'm still waiting to hear how "climate change" affects the frequency or severity of earthquakes. I'm sick of these "cry wolf" kook-aid drinkers. Outlaw all volcanoes and undersea methane vents! Here is a hint, Ms Smith - Print out your LTE and leave it on your dashboard and go ahead and park in the handicapped parking places. After a cursory read, the parking enforcement officer will take pity and not issue you a citation.

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/21/10 - 04:28 am
You can't tell me the weather

You can't tell me the weather a month from now and you have the hubris to write bilge like this? Restart your meds, please.

GGpap
GGpap 02/21/10 - 06:04 am
CRACKERTOY, excellent comment

CRACKERTOY, excellent comment no matteer your position on global warming/climate change! Even the naysayers should see some wisdom in your comment. Thank you! GGpap

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/21/10 - 06:17 am
GGpap - Since you are in the

GGpap - Since you are in the dimming twilight years of your mortal life, the "let's wait and see" option might appeal to you. However, this false alarmist crisis has the possibility of resulting in unnecessary regulations and expenses and programs like Cap & Trade which are only power grab attempts. It would be a shame to cripple our industry and the economy over half-baked INTENTIONALLY (quoting the UN Climate Chief who just resigned in disgrace) faked data.

carcraft
carcraft 02/21/10 - 07:04 am
Ann "natural climate change"

Ann "natural climate change" didn't happen over thousands of years. The last cooling period started about 1670 and we have had a warming period after that. No global warming in 16 years, the trend has stoped an we have peaked from the period. The last cooling period followed the medieval warming period. During the Medieval warming period green land was green, people were mining under what is now glaciers in the Alps etc. Dr Phil Jones and the rest of the scam artists in Global Warming climate change IGNORED the Medieval warming period to get thier grafts to look neat. The predictions of Amozon rain forrest devastation, Himalayian Glaciers melting, African food shortages were all made up from advocacy articles. As far as the Oceans rising, they haven't. I suppose it was man made global warmiing from the Martian landers that caused Mar's temperature changes to pareallel earth's temperature changes? Here is a nice article that rebutts sea levels rising (www.nov55.com/oceans.html). So stop worrying, the earth survived millions of years before you were here and will survive when you are gone in reality!

carcraft
carcraft 02/21/10 - 07:09 am
Oh by the way Arielle, Al

Oh by the way Arielle, Al Gore has made 500 MILLION and is on track to make a Billion from gullible people from the Global warming scam. Lets not be to critical he is doing it for the good of man kind as he flys around in his CO2 green house gas spewing private jet...BWAHAHAHAHAHA

GGpap
GGpap 02/21/10 - 07:11 am
Petey Aitchens, INRE: your

Petey Aitchens, INRE: your comment about my twilight years: You may be right, but, while I am indeed pushing 80, my forbears made it to 107, so I'm hoping I still have a few years to sit back and "wait and see." But, you do make a point! :o) GGpap

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/21/10 - 07:30 am
GGpap, my hair may be long,

GGpap, my hair may be long, but as you can tell by my avatar, I keep it up and am clean shaven.

sconservative
sconservative 02/21/10 - 07:33 am
I encourage everyone to read

I encourage everyone to read the hyperbole of the 1970s regarding "the coming ice age." Note that the words and thoughts used then are the same as those used 35 years later. The GHG with the greatest effect is water vapor. The cause is the sun. Since politicians cannot tax the sun, then the world needs another "cause." One obvious cause is the heavy, excited breathing of folks like Ann and Arielle. I suggest that they stop immediately! Many environmentalists believe that the planet can only support 2 billion people. China - which can pollute as much as she wants - limits families to 1 child - a boy! The problem with the current hysteria is not the LACK of data, it is the SELECTION of data. Siberian data was not used after the USSR collapsed, and northern Canadian stations are selected out. Surprise! It's warming. I recommend that we harvest mature trees - to prevent fires - and plant 100 trees for each harvested. Losing another 10 million American jobs to China because of unequal regulations is stupid!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 02/21/10 - 07:52 am
If all these celebrities

If all these celebrities espousing the effects of global warming really believed it you would see them living what they preach. Gore has a huge house for how many people living in it? 2? Hollywood celerbities have how big a homes for 3, 4, maybe 5 people? They jet off (often times in private jets) for vacations how many times a year? Or jet from east to west coast (again oft times in private jets) to join in with activist groups in protesting "climate change" or "global warming"?

I don't see any of them showing up in a Prius at the awards ceremonies but there sure are a lot of limos.

How much carbon does the entertainment industry put into the atmosphere while making an "action-packed" movie or tv show with all the pyrotechnics? They want to make tons of money off of us by doing these things but want us to carpool or bicycle to work.

When I see all these influential people living the way they want the rest of us to do then I might think about it. But all I see right now is people telling me that I have to go green so they don't have to.

BTW, I have started a carbon credit business so I can get rich off you global warmers too. I'll be glad to take your money so you can "feel good" about doing something about the environment. Jeez, what a load of crap.

carcraft
carcraft 02/21/10 - 07:54 am
One of the things that has

One of the things that has drove me crazy is the way American news organizations have ignored the "climate gate" scandal. NO investigation of the data, no mention of the "read me Harry file from the e-mails" Now by reading, British newspapers, we find the data from East Anglia University is lost, misplaced, or made up as told in the read me harry files. The American press has hardly cover Phil Jones interview where he admits that no signficant warming in 16 years. It does drive me crazy because by following the climate controversy for the last couple of years you knew about fudged data, leaving out the medieval warming period, excluded data. All the while congress was purposing laws to regulate every thing from cattle prodution to energy production..

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/21/10 - 08:05 am
carcraft - It's an

carcraft - It's an "Inconvenient Truth" bwhahahahaha

carcraft
carcraft 02/21/10 - 08:09 am
Petey, it is better to laugh

Petey, it is better to laugh together BWAHAHAHA back at ya

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/21/10 - 08:19 am
carcraft - You can rest

carcraft - You can rest assured I'm laughing WITH you as I point my finger in derision at those who spout this anthropogenic warming nonsense even after their own gurus have bailed out and stopped pretending.

butler123
butler123 02/21/10 - 09:12 am
While I don't believe in

While I don't believe in Global Warming persay, I do believe that we are polluting our planet and that should stop. From killing the coral to cutting down the rain forest. We are ruining the planet and that isn't fair to future generations. The scientists have just gone so overboard that now no one will listen to reason. We need to get back to the basics of stopping the waste of our natural resources and protecting the environment.

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/21/10 - 09:17 am
Global warming, as pushed

Global warming, as pushed upon us, is a joke Arielle---just like you!

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 02/21/10 - 09:40 am
GGpap posted "Arielle Smith,

GGpap posted "Arielle Smith, and Ann (1:22 AM) you both realize, of course, that the majority responding here (mostly long-haired, unshaven, Neanderthal-like rednecks) will take you to task for expressing what you believe to be scientific fact." ------------------ I never met a person who can actually SEE the people who are posting through the computer..........but that's typical of liberals......when they can't support their argument with actual facts, they attack any opposition with some good old fashioned name calling.

confederate american
confederate american 02/21/10 - 09:44 am
just another one of the

just another one of the stupid people we have walking around in this country today.no doubt government schooled.

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 02/21/10 - 09:53 am
"Climate change" is nothing

"Climate change" is nothing more than an excuse to tax the ignorant. Cap and trade, carbon credits, etc. Tyranny is more effective when born through hysteria and fear rather than the point of a sword.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/10 - 10:05 am
Are we warming our planet...

Are we warming our planet... sure we are..will we see disaster in our lifetime, doubt it..just look at Haiti & see what happens when the population outgrows the resources.The earthquake just brought this to our attention.. the problems were already there. .But with all the crazies in the world today, we will probably have a blowup of extreme global disaster before global warming takes us away..more outlaw countries getting bombs makes me wonder how long will we have...humans have been known to be very destructive, even to themselves..