Does Broad really need more lights?

Four-million dollars for street lights and traffic signals on Broad Street is a waste of taxpayers' money.

We already have traffic signals at every intersection and street lights through the entire eight-block area. They work. Could they be improved? Sure. But for $4 million? Even if cars on Broad Street never had to stop at an intersection, and lighting was such that a person could read the paper at midnight, it wouldn't be worth the cost.

I realize that most of the funds ($3 million) are "economic stimulus" from Washington, D.C. However, it's not "free money." It's our money. We gave it to the federal government in our taxes.

Rather than replacing the lights because we can, we should be asking ourselves whether we should replace something that works with something that's new just because the federal government is giving us our own money back.

Eric Schumacher

Evans

Comments (18)

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/22/10 - 03:11 am

These are excellent

These are excellent questions, Eric, and should be asked every time a single "government" penny is spent.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/22/10 - 04:55 am

Eric, Broad Street really

Eric, Broad Street really DOES need new lights. If you are talking about the redlights and crossings, there was talk about them not being within code of the Feb law about people with disabilities.

The older street lights are less efficient and not the right type for what Broad needs due to the trees.

And as far as it being 'our' money, it would not be 'ours' if it were not spent here. At least we will get something finite out of this whole credit card binge the government is on.

I know, I know, I know... BUT the fact is, we DO need these things and if we can get them done using some of of Fed Tax bucks that were sent BACK (note, once it is paid in, we NEVER get anything back unless it's pork spending like this) then I say take the money and do it.

I understand the writers feelings but he is just wrong about this stuff not being needed.

Brad

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/22/10 - 09:03 am

I'm with Eric. I am downtown

I'm with Eric. I am downtown after dark at least three nights every month, often more. The lighting is good, and I have had no problems with the traffic signals. This ADA nonsense is, well, nonsense. City governments are under no obligation to replace traffic signals for "disabled" people.

draksig
draksig 02/22/10 - 09:07 am

This is not even "Our" money!

This is not even "Our" money! This is borrowed money that will have to be paid back with our tax dollars and we will then have to borrow even more money to make up for the money paying back the loan then. Many of the groups loaning us money do not necessarily have our best interests at heart. China, one of our largest lenders, has advocated using that leverage to punish the USA. The borrower is a slave to the lender.

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/22/10 - 09:29 am

wow.. Brad is starting to

wow.. Brad is starting to sound like Dandy Don...

getalife
getalife 02/22/10 - 10:27 am

Brad, this is not our money,

Brad, this is not our money, it is borrowed Chinese money that we and our children will have to pay back.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/22/10 - 10:38 am

OK OK I get it, but waht

OK OK I get it, but waht should we do, turn it down? Send it back on principle and suffer?

I beg to differ with you LL but the lights are not ok given the way the trees cast dark shadows under them.

ADA is a Fed mandate and until this can along, and unfunded one.

I hate spending like this too, but it makes no sense to not do something unless you can prove how it will hurt.

And I didn't say it was right, just that we do have lighting/security needs downtown. To say we are OK on those issues is not factul in my personal opinion and many years of paying attention downtown on this very issue.

And DON'T compare me to Don Good Ol' Boy Grantham.

Brad

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/22/10 - 10:40 am

getalife, OK, I see that but

getalife, OK, I see that but it is already owed and borrowed. So we should NOT take it why?

getalife
getalife 02/22/10 - 10:58 am

Brad, you have a point. If

Brad, you have a point. If it is not used for Augusta it will go some place else. I am just concerned about the current President and his band of merry men spending like a bunch of drunken sailors.

coco rubio
coco rubio 02/22/10 - 12:45 pm

anybody who goes downtown

anybody who goes downtown knows that we need more street lights..... it's obvious...... people complain about it all the time.......and now that we have a chance to do something about it, people are saying we don't need it because it's coming from obama? (and this letter to the editor is coming from someone who lives in Evans)

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/22/10 - 01:33 pm

I say take the money and

I say take the money and never look back. The lights will be there long after the currency crisis causes the second great recession.

I know for a fact that we need a lot of things downtown and street lights is one of them.

Lets not confuse congress with our own foot when we are shooting at someting.

Brad

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/22/10 - 02:33 pm

You know that adding those

You know that adding those high intensity lights you are clamoring for will increase the downtown area's carbon footprint. That would not help the environment and it would speed up global warming!

omnomnom
omnomnom 02/22/10 - 02:54 pm

i dont care about the

i dont care about the streetlights much.. but put the traffic signals back on flashing after 3am on weekdays. theres no reason it should take 20 minutes to get from e. boundary to 15th street at that time in the morning.

KSL
KSL 02/22/10 - 03:49 pm

From what I have read,

From what I have read, stopping at traffic lights in downtown Augusta at that hour could be dangerous for your health, omnomnom.

omnomnom
omnomnom 02/22/10 - 04:22 pm

its either that or get

its either that or get harassed by the richco popos, KSL.

imdstuf
imdstuf 02/22/10 - 05:51 pm

Unless they are broken or

Unless they are broken or about to break I see no need in new lights, but that is just me. They could not hurt though. I am just glad the DDA's parking meter idea faded away before being presented to the city.

deekster
deekster 02/22/10 - 06:43 pm

Albany GA, though not the

Albany GA, though not the 21st century metropolis Augusta GA, has for three decades had its stop lights set a 35 MPG. Drive the speed limit and all of the "lights are green". From on side of town to the other. But that would take some "abstract thought". That which separates us from the beast of the field. How many useless people are employed by Augusta in the "maintenance and engineering department"?

deekster
deekster 02/22/10 - 06:44 pm

Vegas has its "Ocean's

Vegas has its "Ocean's Eleven". Augusta has "Dismal Swamp Eleven". What a circus? Augusta does such a great job of "entertaining it sheeple". Keep the citizens in dark and feed them manure.

Mom arrested after daughter beating

A mother is facing charges after police said she hit her daughter with an extension cord and then made her wear a sweater to hide the injuries.