ACLU threatens American way of life

Thank you for calling attention to yet another instance of the American Civil Liberties Union's hostility toward America ("The ACLU drones on," Feb. 15).

Organized defense of our Constitution seems quite desirable, but it becomes more painfully evident every year that the ACLU often acts not so much to defend the Constitution as to distort it to further its own leftist political and social ideology.

Concerned about this, I looked into the ACLU's history and discovered that the founder, Roger Baldwin, evidenced contempt for many of our American values from the beginning.

In their book, The ACLU vs. America, authors Alan Sears and Craig Osten quote Baldwin as saying: "I am for socialism, disarmament, and ultimately for abolishing the state itself ... . I seek social ownership of property, the abolition of the propertied class, and sole control by those who produce wealth. Communism is the goal!" There is nothing in the history of America that suggests that our Founding Fathers and the framers of the Constitution had anything like that in mind.

I strongly recommend Sears' and Osten's book to those who would like to know more about the threat to American life and values posed by the ACLU!

G. Daniel McCall

Augusta

brayton99
brayton99 02/22/10 - 12:18 am
Alan Sears, with the Alliance

Alan Sears, with the Alliance Defense Fund, a Christian lawyer organization, and Craig Osten, a far right idiot who thinks there is a homosexual agenda, exemplify most right wing deviants who have only their own agenda in mind when they write such inaccuracies, and attempt to put fear in the American public with their rhetoric. As Christians, they should be ashamed of themselves, lying to the American public, and promoting their own beliefs. This country was founded on religious and personal freedom, not by the Southern Baptists.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/22/10 - 02:16 am
The ACLU should have been

The ACLU should have been changed to the LACLU long ago, and the PBS should have been LPBS for the past 35 years and the Department of Education should have been changed to the LDoE decades ago. As the country crumbles, the obvious is finally being noticed. Too late?

afadel
afadel 02/22/10 - 07:19 am
People can always actually

People can always actually visit http://www.aclu.org and http://www.acluga.org to get real information. I've been donating monthly to the ACLU for several years.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 02/22/10 - 07:57 am
I have not read the book Mr.

I have not read the book Mr. McCall quotes and I don't know about the accuracy of it all so I would not comment on that. But I can comment on the actions of the ACLU. There actions seem to always be for the extreme libereral left. Case in point: 10 Commandments being hung in a Alabama court room. It was the judge that wanted it there and it is the framework of all laws in a nutshell. Yet it violates someones rights to have it hung there as though it so offensive. The ACLU, in my opinion, is a puppet for liberal agenda and nothing more.

fd1962
fd1962 02/22/10 - 08:32 am
Another periodic Chronicle

Another periodic Chronicle accommodation forum for its unhinged, paranoid support fringe of rabid conservative evangelical fascist 'experts.' Great entertainment value while we eagerly await the next predictable Robert Smock carpet-chewing installment.

Techfan
Techfan 02/22/10 - 08:35 am
Yeah, defending Limbaugh,

Yeah, defending Limbaugh, Larry Craig, Oliver North, and the Klan is soooooo left wing agenda.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/22/10 - 08:50 am
Techfan, there's token effort

Techfan, there's token effort and there's agenda. Some people really go for that token effort.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/22/10 - 08:52 am
fd1962, this is a LTE. I've

fd1962, this is a LTE. I've noticed they come from all walks of life and philosophical perspective.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/22/10 - 08:54 am
grouse, see 8:50 POST.

grouse, see 8:50 POST.

fd1962
fd1962 02/22/10 - 09:02 am
You mean, johnston.cliff,

You mean, johnston.cliff, like the ACLU HASN"T intervened to defend all walks of life and philosophical perspectives?

fd1962
fd1962 02/22/10 - 09:45 am
What about Chronicle

What about Chronicle predilection (accommodation) in selecting which LTE's to publish, Cliffy? No rightist tokenism there, just genuine 120% fair and balanced agenda, of course. But who's keeping score?

dani
dani 02/22/10 - 11:14 am
Hang on fd1962..when you are

Hang on fd1962..when you are wrong, fess up. Don't get all bent out of shape. Johnston was correcting your mistake.

fd1962
fd1962 02/22/10 - 11:31 am
You lost me there, Dani.

You lost me there, Dani. Please explain.

Techfan
Techfan 02/22/10 - 11:34 am
cliff/patricia/whippingpost

cliff/patricia/whippingpost never lets facts get in the way of his own little fantasy world.

dani
dani 02/22/10 - 11:58 am
1962...I bow to your failure.

1962...I bow to your failure.

fd1962
fd1962 02/22/10 - 12:20 pm
That's ok, Dani. I

That's ok, Dani. I anticipated your confusion. You're better off letting Johnston speak for himself, or whatever transgender he is playing today.

fd1962
fd1962 02/22/10 - 12:23 pm
Dani: (please let somebody

Dani: (please let somebody else have the pleasure of reporting me today)

SnidleyWhiplash
SnidleyWhiplash 02/22/10 - 01:52 pm
brimisjoshan, as ridiculous

brimisjoshan, as ridiculous as some of the "causes" that the ACLU takes up sometimes are, the 10 Commandments hanging in a courtroom is a clear violation of the Establishment Clause. In such a case, the ACLU or Americans United are/were well within their rights to complain about such a situation.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 02/22/10 - 02:37 pm
Wow brim I'm never amazed at

Wow brim I'm never amazed at the intolerance of personal freedoms from an organized religion. The 10 commandments do not in any way, shape, or form makeup "the framework of all laws" in America. Commandments 1, 2, 3, 4, 5(somewhat), 8, 9, and 10 are completely irrelevant in the eyes of American law. It also doesn't matter whether the judge wants it there or not just like it doesn't matter if another judge in the next county wants to display scripture from the Qur'an in the courtroom (which I'm sure you Chrisitans would have no problem with either......ahem). No judge owns a courthouse. The American taxpayers own all courthouses.

dani
dani 02/22/10 - 03:26 pm
fd1962. Speaking for myself,

fd1962. Speaking for myself, I haven't reported you. The censors are doing a good job without me.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/22/10 - 03:44 pm
fd 1962, there are a lot more

fd 1962, there are a lot more conservatives in this area than liberals. It's not too surprising that most of the letters written are by the largest group of people. Is that unfair? Do you really feel the majority of letters should be ignored while the vast minority is printed? Plenty of lefties get their say on the guest column and with LTE. Are you feeling picked on? I didn't say the ACLU hasn't taken on a fine array of cases, I said there's a difference between tokenism and agenda. Are you saying the ACLU doesn't have a severe leftist tilt?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/22/10 - 03:42 pm
Techfan, I guess the fantasy

Techfan, I guess the fantasy thing is just perspective. From your posts, I guess you think facts are too. Words mean things.

dani
dani 02/22/10 - 03:45 pm
I never imagined the

I never imagined the intolerance for organized religion, but it alive and well and showing in the absurdity of some posts..

southernguy08
southernguy08 02/22/10 - 04:11 pm
They're not called the

They're not called the AMERICAN CRIMINAL LIBERTIES UNION for nothing!

imdstuf
imdstuf 02/22/10 - 04:45 pm
The writer has it as

The writer has it as backwards as can be. The ACLU defends what America is about: Civil Liberties. By doing so they try to keep us from having to abide by facist, socialist or any other kind of rules.

imdstuf
imdstuf 02/22/10 - 04:47 pm
If the ACLU is left leaning I

If the ACLU is left leaning I guess that means the left is more American.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 02/22/10 - 05:21 pm
Snidely, I have one question.

Snidely, I have one question. Why? Baron you are wrong. They have every thing to do with it. Did you know that two thirds of those who signed the constitution had seminary degrees? Our constitution and nation was founded on biblical principles. Check out historian David Barton on line learn the truth

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 02/22/10 - 05:57 pm
Also, Baron, if a judge wants

Also, Baron, if a judge wants to display something from the books of Satan I would not oppose it. I would just oppose the Judge but if He wants it that is fine with me. I want godly men on the bench. God Bless the USA

dougk
dougk 02/22/10 - 06:26 pm
my goodness, Brimisjoshan.

my goodness, Brimisjoshan. Certainly, freedom of speech is one of our most cherished rights. But don't you want it to have some internal consistency if you want to make some sort of point? Any point?

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 02/22/10 - 06:31 pm
explain yourself dougk

explain yourself dougk

Lincoln County deputies injured breaking up fight

Two Lincoln County deputies were treated at an Augusta Hospital after being injured breaking up a fight at a party at an American Legion building in Lincolnton.