Repeal 'don't ask, don't tell' policy

When we were children, we were all taught to proudly recite the Pledge of Allegiance, which concludes with the oft-quoted phrase "with liberty and justice for all." While our nation's flag represents these lofty ideals, the reality is that for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered Americans, there is no "liberty and justice for all."

In 1993, the Clinton administration passed the "don't ask, don't tell" law as a compromise in dealing with the military's anti-gay regulations. This law has resulted in the unnecessary dismissal of more than 13,000 troops over the past 17 years. These military personnel had many years of honorable and exemplary service and dedication to their duties.

We are often told to "support our troops." Gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered individuals are part of our world and of our armed forces.

They are human beings deserving of all the rights and privileges that heterosexuals take for granted, including the right to marry and raise a family. They are our friends, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters who have chosen to risk their lives for a nation that makes them fear discovery, and forces them to be punished for being who they are.

To support the DADT position is to support a moral wrong. Quite simply, it is discrimination, and it is a slap in the face to our values of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. DADT needs to be abolished, and it is our responsibility to support these brave men and women who put themselves on the line for us.

Joseph A. Zuchowski

Augusta

apex24
apex24 02/18/10 - 11:31 pm
Joe, to support a gay or

Joe, to support a gay or lesbian lifestyle is a "moral wrong". To quote another part of your statement "it is a slap in the face to our values of life" to have a bunch of gay men parading down the street of the city I live in on Fathers Day.

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/19/10 - 01:43 am
What is this, gay activism

What is this, gay activism week? Every day we are bombarded by this agenda, and I think there are other things more important to our country just now.

brayton99
brayton99 02/19/10 - 05:35 am
Funny how it's no problem

Funny how it's no problem when a gay man or woman risks their lives to defend this country, to be brave, and to promote the beliefs and convictions of this nation, until they are identified as gay. Many many gay people have been dismissed from the armed forces, many of them highly intelligent people, linguists, doctors, technical experts; yet the army will allow a red neck high school dropout to remain. Most gay people are more educated, more professional, and more motivated than the typical heterosexual person. The armed forces need to realize this. Dozens of countries allow homosexuals to serve in their armed forces, and there are no problems. Why are right wing conservatives so afraid of gay people. You live among them everyday. And whatever happened to the statements of Our Lord, saying that we should love and respect all men, and love them as our brothers? Seems that 'christians' should re-read their Bibles.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 02/19/10 - 05:44 am
My only question with

My only question with allowing Gays in the military, is how do you handle berthing on ships? If you make the Gays have berthing together, then do you put straight males and females in the same berthing? If not, then why not?

brayton99
brayton99 02/19/10 - 06:26 am
Tigger, the problem with your

Tigger, the problem with your comment is the same as most people who are uneducated about the gay lifestyle. Just because someone is gay, does not mean that they are going to have sex with every other gay person they meet. Most gay people have higher moral standards when it comes to sex than most heterosexual men. Most gay relationships are monogamous, as over 50% of heterosexual relationships end in divorce, and many more have incidents of infidelity. Think about it.

Buckeye
Buckeye 02/19/10 - 06:49 am
Gays are already on ships!

Gays are already on ships! Gays are in Iraq, Gays are in planes, Gays are on Fort Gordon, they are everywhere. Ask people in the service, NO ONE CARES.

brayton99
brayton99 02/19/10 - 06:58 am

My boyfriend is a soldier at Fort Gordon, has served faithfully in the military, and risked his life for our country. Something that many people against gays in the military cannot say. People should get over it, or, send their sons and daughters to the military to replace the gay men and women who are kicked out.

carcraft
carcraft 02/19/10 - 07:00 am
I have just one question.

I have just one question. You go into the military KNOWING the don't ask don't tell policy and the military attitude. Now you say well thats not fair? It is like the drug addict applying to work at a store with a drug testing policy then saying that is unAmerican..Serving in the military is not a right..it is an honor and a privledge granted by this country, if you can't meet the standards don't apply..Brayto99 I would like to see some research to back up your 5:26 post Here are some statistics that suggest gay men are very promiscuous. When I was in Korea I knew of a gay soldier who had had 30 sexual partners in one month (that was in 1985) www.catholiceducation.org/articles/.../ho0075.html and here is another set of statistics (americansfortruth.com/.../promiscuity-among-homosexuals.html )Ground Zero for aids Gaetan Dugas wrote down who he had sex with so he could remember! Here is a New York times article about Gay "marriage and promiscuity inductivist.blogspot.com/2010/02/gay-couple-promiscuity.html.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/19/10 - 07:18 am
I think some of y'all ought

I think some of y'all ought to read what "don't ask, don't tell" actually stipulates. That program has "saved" (preserved) many more enlistments than it has terminated. Those who AGREED to follow a "contract" and then failed to do so were terminated. I have nothing more to say on it. The troops that agreed to the provisions when they signed their enlistment paperwork and took the oath have nothing to complain about if they violated the terms of the program....be it just or not.

brayton99
brayton99 02/19/10 - 07:35 am
carcraft, so the standards of

carcraft,
so the standards of being admitted in the military . I had much rather have someone who can speak the English language, understand strategies, planning, and who enlisted because they love their country, instead of a bunch of bubbas who enlisted because they don't have an education, and have no other means of making an income. And when you provide information contradicting my info about promiscuity, I will inform you about the stats. Heterosexual men cheat on their partners more than hetero women, gay men, and gay women. Proven in studies and research.

carcraft
carcraft 02/19/10 - 07:59 am
Brayton99-The members of our

Brayton99-The members of our military are better educated than the population in general...Having served in active duty army for 10 years and reserves for 15 years and read studies I do have some knowledge...Having a son who is a University of Georgia graduate enlisted active duty also provides some knowledge...I presented links to statistics about gay promiscuity and have personel knowledge of promiscuous gays..I shared a billet in Korea with one..he was a complete basket case from partying all night and trying to do his job during the day, I witnessed more that one incident of him melting down! He was very hard to share a billet with..Now present you evidence...or cite your studies...

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/19/10 - 08:30 am
I believe there will be

I believe there will be problems if they repeal don't ask don't tell. It has nothing to do with job performance and service to the country. But there is a big psychological difference between showering next to someone you might suspect is homosexual but you aren't sure, and showering next to someone who is openly homosexual. Now, if the military wants to build 4 bathrooms and showers everywhere they currently have 2 bathrooms and showers, prior to changing the policy, then that might work out. I know homosexuals view this as a rights issue but what about the rights of the majority straight personnel who do not want to be forced to get naked and share showers and quarters with flaming open homosexuals? If that offends them their only option will be to refuse to serve in the military and there may be enough who feel that way that it could affect recruiting. My guess is that if this policy is changed, the young people will eventually have the final verdict as to whether this policy change will work or not if the recruiting numbers go down the tubes. Oh no problem you say. There will be more homosexuals coming into the military to replace the straights who refuse to enlist. Well, that makes me feel much better.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/19/10 - 09:29 am
If being gay is no big deal,

If being gay is no big deal, why use it as a rotted fish to slap so many in the face so often? If you don't ask and don't tell, then the chosen lifestyle becomes a personal matter. Can personal attitude be legislated any more than morality can? If so, why not just legislate that gayness is to end? If I step onto the road and a car runs over me, am I to blame or does the car need to be forced to adjust to my choices? Does political correctness cause (social) cancer?

deekster
deekster 02/19/10 - 09:21 am
In Georgia Law you have to

In Georgia Law you have to make an attempt to avoid a pending accident. You can't even run over a "dumb mule" in the road without exercising some effort to avoid the mule.

deekster
deekster 02/19/10 - 09:25 am
All of this "exposure" is

All of this "exposure" is just what it is tended to be. Not acceptance, but publicly educating and numbing the sensitivity of society and the young about a "deviant lifestyle". No harm, no foul. No right, no wrong. No SIN, no judgment. And the beat goes on...........

willienelson
willienelson 02/19/10 - 11:09 am
Brayton's source for his

Brayton's source for his information supporting gays & Lesbians is the GLT(Gay & Lesbian Times). A source that may be biased. His source for disparaging heterosexuals as uneducated bubbas is merely his opinion.

usmcbuckner
usmcbuckner 02/19/10 - 12:23 pm
Romans 1:26, 27 That is why

Romans 1:26, 27 That is why God gave them up to disgraceful sexual appetites, for both their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature; 27 and likewise even the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene and receiving in themselves the full recompense, which was due for their error.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/19/10 - 12:32 pm
I'll tell you very clearly

I'll tell you very clearly what worries conservatives, especially religious conservatives about this agenda: government attempts to intervene in what faiths teach as truth, moral right and wrong, good and evil, sin and virtue. Governments historically have tended to use intimidation, persecution and coercion, based on the political-social agenda currently experiencing ascendancy.

As with the rejection of Prop 8 in California, the call for equality in this matter is in direct conflict with the First Amendment rights of religious groups and churches, as well as private citizens of faith, ie, business owners. It is not legal-- yet-- to force someone to go against their core beliefs in order to grant someone the access of their preference or convenience if their actions or known intentions are an affront or direct violation of those core beliefs.

The standard argument from the gay side is that churches have no moral standing on such matters because so many of them discriminated against blacks and minorities. That history of discrimination, sadly, is too true. However, being black or a minority has never, ever been equated in historical Christian theology and biblical teaching with being inherently sinful, wrong or disordered. At least for Christian faith, there is no distinction in entitlement or value of personhood drawn between slave and free, male or female, rich or poor, black or white. Those who would say otherwise are not theological orthodox (ie, they're heretics) or else they may simply be ignorant. Many beyond counting fall into the latter category. Several American denominational churches fall into the former.

There are behaviors that are definite no-nos, however; and, even apart from the homosexual aspect of it, sex outside of marriage is a biggie along side murder, robbery, dishonoring your parents and not loving your Creator above all else. As we know, several of these guides for living as a person on earth have fallen into disuse, even disfavor.

We've already seen threats of loss of tax-exempt status over political statements from the pulpit. Personally, even though it would be economically damaging to churches, I don't find that to be a huge deal if evenly applied to all tax-exempt organizations and entities. I believe it ultimately and quickly would be recognized as far more damaging to the government itself, by the outrage it produced among the most solid, loyal and productive segment of Americans.

The bigger threat is one we watched and condemned for most of the 20th century as it took place in communist countries of Europe, and even now in China. People of faith were persecuted because the teachings of those faiths stood in contradiction to the state's social policies and political doctrine. Thousands of churches and temples were closed or taken over by the government, clergy were arrested and thousands killed, and those who merely attended such gathers were spied upon, denied the opportunities of other citizens, even imprisoned themselves.

Obviously, we're not there yet, but we have stepped onto the very slippery slope with that as its nadir. The demand that every voice be silenced which objects to the complete and total acceptance of homosexuality as a co-equal legal and social definition of a normal sexual and marital relationship in America is a slip onto our backsides on that slide.

If you doubt any of this, I offer the experience of one Catholic church that got hammered in a discrimination lawsuit because they refused to hire someone who was an openly-practicing gay man, even though the Catholic Church itself is obligated by canon law to refuse even the sacraments to him. And then there are the churches that have refused to allow their facilities to be used by same-sex couples for commitment ceremonies and receptions while allowing heterosexual couples unfettered access. (Links available upon demand.)

corgimom
corgimom 02/19/10 - 01:40 pm
carcraft, would you like to

carcraft, would you like to discuss promiscuous heterosexual men and women, of which we all have seen? Or are promiscuous heterosexual men "just being healthy red-blooded normal men"? Flat-out hypocrisy, is what it is.

carcraft
carcraft 02/19/10 - 02:12 pm
corigmom, I do not condone

corigmom, I do not condone promiscuous behavior in men either, it is destructive. I have met very few promiscuous men (or women) for that matter that laid naked in a "bath house" and took on anybody that wanted them (Please read "And The Band Played On"). I have never heard of a promisous heterosexual who had more than 30 sexual contacts in one month as the HIV positive homosexual soldier in Korea did when I was there! 61 % of homosexual men in one study had been involved in group sex , have you? I haven't, but maybe that is also normative sexual behavior for heterosexuals and I am just a prude! However homosexuals have decreased life spans and higher incidence of sexually transmitted diseases mostly related to unprotected sex. That is why you can't donate blood as a male if you have had sexual relations with another man, or maybe the blood banks are also discriminating against homosexuals?

carcraft
carcraft 02/19/10 - 03:29 pm
Corgimom-Brayton99 said in

Corgimom-Brayton99 said in his 5:26 post said" Most gay people have higher moral standards when it comes to sex than most heterosexual men. Most gay relationships are monogamous" I disputed that based on several studies and news articles (which I linked) and personnel knowledge that I spoke about in my posts .

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 02/19/10 - 03:43 pm
Yippee! Another article full

Yippee! Another article full of comments from those who think their personal beliefs somehow dictate the "morality" for America and defend their logic by quoting something out of a book. America is not a theocracy regardless how oppressive many Christians attempt to act.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/19/10 - 04:28 pm
Good old Baron von Wretch! We

Good old Baron von Wretch! We can always count on him for the most illumined view of civilization and sociology, as opposed to mere opinion.

Our day just wouldn't have been complete without the bleat, "Down with Christianity and its pesky morality!".

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 02/19/10 - 05:29 pm
brayton99, You are making a

brayton99, You are making a bad assumption. Just because a male and female are straight ALSO doesn't mean they are going to have sex, yet they have separate berting compartments aboard the ship. I don't see the difference. Please explain. I know I certainly don't have sex with every straight female I meet, so I'm no less educated about the gay lifestyle that YOU are about the straight lifestyle. You also posted "Most gay relationships are monogamous, as over 50% of heterosexual relationships end in divorce, and many more have incidents of infidelity." How about you back that up with some evidence. I'm a bit miffed at the condescending attitude I get from people who are gay activists, with statements like "the problem with your comment is the same as most people who are uneducated about the gay lifestyle." I have shown that I am NOT uneducated, I just posed a question that you seem unable to answer.

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/19/10 - 05:40 pm
Oh, sure. Imagine this: You

Oh, sure.
Imagine this: You are a small unit commander with 100 troops under your command in a war zone (I was one in Vietnam). You are making up a new patrol roster, deciding which of your troops will go out in harm's way actively seeking out engagement with the enemy and which will stay back in the barracks and rest up. You have a sexual relationship and strong sexual attraction to 2 or 3 of the men in your unit. The rest of your troops will:
(A) not feel at all uncomfortable with your making life and death decisions about them and your lovers, confident that you can be totally impartial and that your objectivity will not be affected by your romantic relationships, or
(B) are you kidding me?
Homosexuals don't belong in my military unit any more than my wife does. Unit cohesion and morale will go right out the window.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/19/10 - 06:28 pm
And there, ladies and

And there, ladies and gentlemen, we have from Dixieman THE single most cogent and realistic statement regarding homosexuality and military service. Not that this hasn't been a reality since, well, the times of Roman legionnaires and beyond, but still, it's a point worth making.

carcraft
carcraft 02/19/10 - 06:49 pm
good luck tigger, I ask the

good luck tigger, I ask the same question of Brayton99 a while back and ...still waiting...

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 02/19/10 - 08:23 pm
Why does my post keep getting

Why does my post keep getting removed with no trace?

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 02/19/10 - 09:03 pm
brayton99.............still

brayton99.............still no answer?

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 02/19/10 - 09:09 pm
Why do the liberals run when

Why do the liberals run when they can't answer questions.........seems a bit cowardly.