Make the CSRA a 'Community for All'

The Augusta Pride Committee invites all members of the community to the celebrations downtown Saturday, June 19. The theme of this year's Augusta Pride is "Community for All." The planned events are a celebration of diversity in our community for people of all sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions: gay, straight, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or queer -- however one chooses to self-identify.

June is Gay Pride Month because it remembers the events at the Stonewall Inn in New York City in June 1969. This was a time of upheaval across America as the civil rights movement ensued, but it was also the first time that gay and transgender Americans stood their ground and claimed their right to assemble free of police harassment. It was the birth of the modern gay rights movement.

There has been much community discussion following the Feb. 12 Augusta Chronicle story about the planned events for downtown this June. This discussion is good for the community. Your gay and transgender neighbors, co-workers, friends, family, physicians, dentists, lawyers and service providers throughout the community want you to know that they do exist, and that they are proud of their contributions to this community and to the lives of those who live here. They have friends, family, and co-workers throughout the CSRA as well, and they want to be open and honest about their lives and those they love.

There will be many community events in the coming months organized by the Augusta Pride Committee. On March 21, the Atlanta Gay Men's Chorus will come to the CSRA for the first time as part of their Georgia concert tour. In April there will be an Augusta Pride Fashion Show sponsored in part by Macy's. Everyone is welcome to enjoy these activities as part of the vast patchwork of community events that contribute to life in the CSRA.

In the second-largest community in Georgia, it is time for activities that appeal to a broad range of our citizens' interests. After all, this is a "Community for All."

Christopher J. Bannochie, Ph.D.

Augusta

(The writer is public relations and marketing director for Augusta Pride.)

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/17/10 - 11:35 pm
Ph.D. (in science) has

Ph.D. (in science) has nothing to do with the opinions expressed here, so leave it off. Another Federal drone from SRS where Federal government demands that everyone not just tolerate, but celebrate, this sort of stuff. (Go look up "GLOBE" if you doubt this).
What is going on in the CSRA? First the once-in-a-decade snow, now all of a sudden there are three gay events every week, and there are more comments on this parade than on the next 10 topics combined. Someone - I forget who - said that in his youth homosexuality was forbidden, today it is tolerated, and he wanted to leave this earth before it became compulsory!
Let these folks march if they want to; I plan to ignore the whole thing, then just criticize their outfits based on the photos in the AC the next day. Let's everybody lighten up.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 02/18/10 - 12:01 am
Yeah, I am with you Dixieman!

Yeah, I am with you Dixieman! It's constitutionally right but not morally right for them to promote this lifestyle. We may have to let them march but we don't have to agree with it. Of course I know I am not "politically correct" and BradOwens thinks I am going to try and beat some of them up. What a joke! He really needs to lighten up. I would not hurt a hair on their pretty little bodies but like you I will laugh myself silly at their outfits. Remember when "gay" used to mean you were happy. LOL

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/18/10 - 02:03 am
wow Augusta never ceases to

wow Augusta never ceases to amaze me how backwards it can be.

GLBTSAlliance
GLBTSAlliance 02/18/10 - 05:15 am
I think its important to

I think its important to remember that equality is never a quick or easy won battle. Throughout history, women, blacks, and now the LGBT community, has had to fight long and hard to win there equal status. We as a community understand the hardship, and we are ready for the long haul. Also, not mentioned above is the Write Out Campaign and fundraiser scheduled for March 20th, 2010 at club argos. its a fundraiser and letter writing campaign to benefit Augusta Pride and The GLBTS Alliance of the CSRA

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/18/10 - 05:27 am
GLBTSAlliance - Oh, dry up --

GLBTSAlliance - Oh, dry up -- your purses don't match your shoes! Haaa-ha (imitating Nelson on the Simpsons). You are neither female nor black and your efforts are not comparable to theirs. Also knowing the difference between "there" and "their" will help you get your message across better!
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

carcraft
carcraft 02/18/10 - 06:47 am
Well lets tolerate the truth

Well lets tolerate the truth as long as we are into tolerance..Hep C is higher in the gay community! (www.xtra.ca/public/Vancouver/Hepatitis_C_on_the_rise-5143.aspx ) (www.thebody.com/content/art2282.html ). The "Gay" life style shortens life by 8 to 20 years (ije.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/30/6/1499 ).. If you live the "gay" life style you have on average a short life and greater chance of sexually transmitted diseases, so by all means celebrate! Then you can get into the bug chasing groups etc....Now you can flame away at this ignorant intolerant homo phobe but unfortunately for the gay males, the truth is the truth..

Runner46
Runner46 02/18/10 - 08:41 am
Next we can have a Mardigras

Next we can have a Mardigras parade to celebrate the debauchery life style. I'll skip that parade, too.

whyme
whyme 02/18/10 - 09:01 am
I liked Austin Rhodes'

I liked Austin Rhodes' comments yesterday regarding this and any parade that consists of an organization which by its nature invites controversy and the potential for discord. This includes prolife, prochoice, the Klan, the Anti-Klan, what have you. Hold your activities in the Augusta Commons, where there can be a more peaceful method of getting one's message across. The homosexual folks that most people know are not in-your-face, flamboyant men/manly women, but average folks trying to get along ,for whom we should show dignity and respect even if we do not support their lifestyle choices.

akajenfer
akajenfer 02/18/10 - 09:37 am
Just because you're

Just because you're conservative doesn't mean that all of Augusta has to be, or is conservative. What's wrong with letting people make their own choices as long as it doesn't harm others. Sure, it might offend you, but last time I checked that doesn't cause pain. The bottom line here is IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH IT THEN DON'T PARTICIPATE IN IT!

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/18/10 - 09:44 am
Tolerance you ask for and

Tolerance you ask for and tolerance you may get, and rightfully so. But I doubt seriously you will get very many to celebrate your lifestyle or that you will gain much acceptance. To most people your lifestyle is still aberrant, also rightfully so. Gay is a hijacked word that the PC world has forced on us to stifle the "q" word that was commonly used to describe what is really the definition of aberrant. "markedly different from an accepted norm; "aberrant behavior"; "deviant ideas"". Tolerance is constitutionally required. But acceptance or celebration is not required. What you do in private is your business but I still would not want to be knowingly sharing a shower with you in the military.

dani
dani 02/18/10 - 09:49 am
Many of us would never dream

Many of us would never dream of bringing harm of any kind to a "gay" person, neither do we show them disrespect, so why can't we be granted the same courtesy. If Augusta's gay community is not "in your face" then why are they parading down Broad St. This is not "gay pride" it is shame.

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/18/10 - 10:13 am
"A gay man who lived in

"A gay man who lived in Khartoum
"Took a lesbian up to his room
"Where they argued all night
"Over who had the right
"To do what, and with which, and to whom."

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/18/10 - 10:26 am
I really do not care what gay

I really do not care what gay people do in private. They are human beings and we all struggle to find happiness and love in this world, and I wish them well in their quests. But I stand with Mrs. Patrick Campbell (1865-1940), the English actress, who famously said, "It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses." Alas, it seems that in Augusta (as well as other places; we are not unique) all people want to do these days is get in others' faces and frighten the horses, which I oppose.

afadel
afadel 02/18/10 - 11:10 am
It is a good thing that this

It is a good thing that this event is being held. Legal discrimination against gays and lesbians, such as the marriage ban, is wrong. This parade will help move Georgia closer to ending this discrimination.

deekster
deekster 02/18/10 - 11:17 am
It matters because every time

It matters because every time we "remove a moral standard", the next one is "easier to remove". Division, lies, anarchy, Godlessness and chaos are the "legacy of their father Satan". Remember "The Devil's Advocate", even if you don't read the Bible.

deekster
deekster 02/18/10 - 11:24 am
Does this appear to be

Does this appear to be "bringing the community together"? I don't think (not speaking for) the vast majority of our "backward citizens" want their children to be educated in the "benefits of a deviant lifestyle". But when the "So called men of God refuse to speak against SIN in the pulpit", we are doomed to suffer the consequences. I have not seen "one comment" from a "shepherd" of the flock. And we dare to sing "God Bless America". We are so ignorant and dissociated with the truth that we "cover our hearts" no matter what song is sung at a an event.

deekster
deekster 02/18/10 - 11:27 am
A pathetic and sicking site

A pathetic and sicking site when "the alarm is sounded" that a "disease is rampant" and no one responds. Noah preached that the "wrath of God was eminent". Noah cared about those "who would be lost". Where is the "Christian Love" in Augusta when not one will cry out " you are in danger of the fire".

deekster
deekster 02/18/10 - 12:51 pm
I will respond in similar

I will respond in similar fashion if we had an "Adulterers Pride Parade". "Or as we do everyday, have a "Murderer Pride Parade " in the AC. "Go and sin no more". You have made this an issue. You have declared yourself to be an "oppressed minority". You have declared that GOD is wrong and you are right. You want to "create an oppressed minority". You are an "repentance sinner", not "a repentant sinner". You are not oppressed, you are a deviant. You need to acknowledge your sin and repent.

outintheright
outintheright 02/18/10 - 12:58 pm
Great letter Chris. Those who

Great letter Chris. Those who quote people from the 1800's are just proving what age they live. Being gay is not a choice or "lifestyle", it's an identity and who we are. No one wakes up one morning and says, "I think I'll be gay". Many gays and lesbians may sometimes wish it was a choice because they we would not have to deal with the bigotry. But the evidence is overwhelming in the medical and scientific community that being gay is part of who we are as human beings.

A parade is simply a parade, a group of people celebrating life. I'm sure there will be a few loud and obnoxious people, but no more than you would see any given Sunday at a Pro Football game. Mostly, we just want gather with people like ourselves and not be afraid. And maybe someday gay people will not have to fear against harm or hateful words anymore in the CSRA.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/18/10 - 01:01 pm
GLBTSAlliance, if you're so

GLBTSAlliance, if you're so hyped about the "coming out" parade, and want to demonstrate your solidarity, to let your community know that your presence is here, why do you have nothing on your profile to tell something about yourself? I mean, gosh, this is about "coming out," right?

dominionfs
dominionfs 02/18/10 - 01:04 pm
I sincerely hope there are no

I sincerely hope there are no little deekster's running around.

whyme
whyme 02/18/10 - 01:07 pm
Guess no one read my earlier

Guess no one read my earlier post. People do indeed have the right to express their feelings, lifestyle, etc. in an appropriate manner, even if it goes against my own. However, we all know and have seen based on other similar parades that this parade will likely not be conducted in a positive manner in which the participants will truly get their point of view accepted or otherwise respected. Any group in this situation should find a better way to promote its agenda than a parade. The idea that "if you don't like it, don't go" is not the best attitude to have if you are hoping to present yourself in a better light.

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/18/10 - 01:09 pm
Adultery Pride Parade would

Adultery Pride Parade would be good too. We could all wear paper bags over our heads. No, wait -- I meant THEY could all wear paper bags over THEIR heads. Oooops....

dominionfs
dominionfs 02/18/10 - 01:11 pm
Thanks Dixieman. :))

Thanks Dixieman. :))

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/18/10 - 01:18 pm
Deekster sez; "Does this

Deekster sez; "Does this appear to be "bringing the community together"?"
_______________________________

Short answer, no! We can't deny their rights, Deek, and we can voice our disgust all day long, but there is nothing we can do to circumvent the law. We can also take "cheap shots" at each other, until the fat lady sings, and we will never be any closer to accepting their status than we are today. That's because we believe the Bible in our own interpretation, and what we accept as truth, not from any particular Religion, but what God has inspired us to believe.

The Holy Bible tells us of these things, and how perversions will increase and scripture will be misunderstood, so it is up to us to fend for ourselves, secure our own future, and live and let live until the Lord returns. We mere humans have no power to change the glut of self-satisfaction in anyone. We are also only responsible for one; count em, one (1), individual on this planet. That my friend, is ourselves, as individuals. No one can get us to Heaven but us, the individual. Some time in the future, all will come down to judgment. There will be a great awakening, gnashing of teeth, and cries for mercy, but it will be too late. Let these people chart their own course. Ours are set!

SnidleyWhiplash
SnidleyWhiplash 02/18/10 - 01:38 pm
Thankfully, not everybody

Thankfully, not everybody follows the tenents of your "holy" bible.

I find it interesting that all 3 TV station websites (major networks) are reporting on Mayor Copenhaver approving the parade, yet not a peep on the AC website. Hmmm...biased much AC?

SnidleyWhiplash
SnidleyWhiplash 02/18/10 - 01:42 pm
Repost from earlier: Oh, here

Repost from earlier:
Oh, here comes deekster! "The sky is falling! It's the end of civilization as we know it! Woe is me and praise Jesus!" Lighten up already!
What do you (the general "you", not deekster in particular) think is going to be happening during this parade? To read some of your ranting, one would think that there will be sodomy in the streets of Augusta. It's a parade folks - your god has nothing to do with it at ALL. If you don't agree with what the parade is all about, that's great, you're well within your rights to NOT GO. Nothing will be "in your face" if you don't attend! On the other hand, if you're planning on going for the express purpose of getting offended, have at it - you're well within your rights to act like an idiot as well.
Honestly, if you folks are so frightened of a parade, that's pretty sad. I always assumed that the average person was made of sterner stuff.

libertarianvoter
libertarianvoter 02/18/10 - 01:52 pm
A lot of you guys are really

A lot of you guys are really reaching for reasons why this parade is wrong, but those reasons fall upon deaf ears. The only way you will ever have a valid argument against a parade of people is if A) Those people promote violence or danger (they do not) B) If illegal activity will take place at the parade (it will not I predict) C) Any other reason backed up by the laws of the city, state, or US.

Your biblical reasons are no good in this situation. I would recommend you have a conversation with God during this parade to hold on to your sanity as it is so obviously threatened by the men who wear pink. [/sarcasm]

Buckeye
Buckeye 02/18/10 - 01:55 pm
We are having this parade no

We are having this parade no matter what kind of hate is thrown at us. I did my six years in the navy so now I can stand up and speak my mind freely. I am white American female veteran who owns a bar, supports Augusta and works as a dod contractor. I am also gay. I also believe in A God. And that God love me. Come protest. Call the westboro church nuts. I will be marching with my head high!

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/18/10 - 01:57 pm
Let's not forget that a

Let's not forget that a majority of attendees will be from out of this local area, probably even out of state. I'm sure some locals will be in attendance but I seriously doubt if someone hasn't come out of the closet by now, they sure aren't going to do it in broad daylight in the middle of downtown Augusta. "This parade will help move Georgia closer to ending this discrimination." alfadel, be careful what you wish for, it just might backfire and you might not like the results you think you might get. The gay community might have a right to have their parade but you stir a hornets nest up and you're likely to get stung.

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...