Gay pride parade should be forbidden

The city is considering allowing a so-called gay pride parade through the streets of Augusta. There is nothing "gay" about it!

To allow homosexuals to parade up and down the streets of Augusta -- and to allow these gay people to push their perverted sexual agenda in our face -- is not moral. I have no problem with these people keeping their sexually perverted behavior to themselves at home behind closed doors and not pushing it on the rest of us.

What's next -- parades for those who practice bestiality, or pedophiles on parade?

Mayor Copenhaver should tell any ACLU lawyers fighting for this parade to go back to Atlanta. The people of Augusta, Richmond County and the CSRA do not tolerate this immoral behavior for public display.

Rick A. Bernardi Sr.

North Augusta, S.C.

Comments (200)

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/17/10 - 08:12 pm

Isn't sodomy still against

Isn't sodomy still against the law in GA?

Lawpig
Lawpig 02/17/10 - 08:15 pm

I love the fact that some

I love the fact that some intolerant person can claim to speak on behalf of all residents of a city. I wonder what else he'd forbid. Also, sodomy is no longer illegal in Georgia--in fact, it hasn't been for quite sometime.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/17/10 - 08:19 pm
dominionfs
dominionfs 02/17/10 - 08:27 pm

Don't know if Georgia or

Don't know if Georgia or South Carolina still carry the statute, but the military still does.

Uniformed Code of Military Justice
Article 125. Sodomy
(a) Any person subject to this chapter who engages in unnatural carnal copulation with another person of the same or opposite sex or with an animal is guilty of sodomy. Penetration , however slight, is sufficient to complete the offense.

(b) Any person found guilty of sodomy shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/17/10 - 08:36 pm

Dominionfs, The military is

Dominionfs, The military is the only one left that has common sense when it come to Law's

dominionfs
dominionfs 02/17/10 - 08:38 pm

Congress redefined article

Congress redefined article 120 in 2007, very much needed in MHO. I suspect this one is in for a re-write in the near future, too.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/17/10 - 08:43 pm

Our so called CIC will insure

Our so called CIC will insure that it is re-written.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/17/10 - 09:31 pm

Lawpig sez; "...sodomy is no

Lawpig sez; "...sodomy is no longer illegal in Georgia--in fact, it hasn't been for quite sometime."
______________________________

Didn't I just read where someone was charged with sodomy, here in GA. recently? I'll see if I can find it. O.K., wasn't Ga., it was Texas.

Whatever the supreme court decides is law........for awhile. This story isn't over yet!

So crates
So crates 02/17/10 - 09:54 pm

I would hate to see a gay

I would hate to see a gay pride parade in Augusta. Not because its gay or anything, but just because it won't be fabulous. There is nothing more dull than a gay pride parade full of ordinary men and women in beat up old cars and not a feather boa in sight. Instead of a parade, Augusta should have something smaller and more "Augustan". A festival of some sort, perhaps. We're not a parade-size community. The issue isn't morality (that's soooo yesterday); its fabulosity.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 02/17/10 - 10:02 pm

Our Constitutional Right to

Our Constitutional Right to assemble was originally intended to redress grievance before the government. I wonder what US Supreme Court Decision screwed that up?

MrsAlicia
MrsAlicia 02/17/10 - 10:34 pm

So crates: Thank you for the

So crates: Thank you for the laugh! I think I scared my hubby with my outburst. :) :)

I'm so proud that Augusta will be having this parade! I attended the one in downtown Des Moines each year while living there. Kudos Augusta! Keep moving forward!

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 02/17/10 - 10:34 pm

Brad you are out of your mind

Brad you are out of your mind to keep saying I am wishing violence on anyone. I hope I meet you someday. Then maybe we could discuss it and I promise not to beat you up. LOL

countyman
countyman 02/17/10 - 10:55 pm

Augusta has a 200,000 person

Augusta has a 200,000 person lead on the next metro in GA. Were going to outperform the entire state of GA in 2010. There are only two buddhist temples in Georgia. One in Decatur outside Atlanta and one in South Augusta. Augusta is the only city besides Atlanta every year. That holds a latino and greek festival. A gay parade is only right as Augusta contiues to grow up.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/17/10 - 11:39 pm

Here is a "gay" little tune

Here is a "gay" little tune to change the mood of this topic. Old Sarge's like this stuff too!

karls0913
karls0913 02/18/10 - 01:26 am

Gay people know how to use a

Gay people know how to use a gun too!

karls0913
karls0913 02/18/10 - 01:30 am

Being gay does not equal to

Being gay does not equal to bestiality or being a pedophile. If your father sexually abused you when you were a child, that does not mean that he is a homosexual.

karls0913
karls0913 02/18/10 - 01:37 am

To those still making sodomy

To those still making sodomy illegal in the whole United States:
"SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES

LAWRENCE et al. v. TEXAS
CERTIORARI TO THE COURT OF APPEALS OF TEXAS, FOURTEENTH DISTRICT

No. 02—102. Argued March 26, 2003–Decided June 26, 2003

Responding to a reported weapons disturbance in a private residence, Houston police entered petitioner Lawrence’s apartment and saw him and another adult man, petitioner Garner, engaging in a private, consensual sexual act. Petitioners were arrested and convicted of deviate sexual intercourse in violation of a Texas statute forbidding two persons of the same sex to engage in certain intimate sexual conduct. In affirming, the State Court of Appeals held, inter alia, that the statute was not unconstitutional under the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The court considered Bowers v. Hardwick, 478 U.S. 186, controlling on that point.

Held: The Texas statute making it a crime for two persons of the same sex to engage in certain intimate sexual conduct violates the Due Process Clause. Pp. 3—18."

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/18/10 - 03:18 am

yeah Exodus International

yeah Exodus International sure did "cure" John Paulk of his homosexuality didn't it.. why don't you google him.. he was the North American Director of Exodus. And we all know how the sham marriages cured people like Rock Hudson and Cary Grant of their homosexuality.

1941
1941 02/18/10 - 09:14 am

Why are people so afraid of

Why are people so afraid of anything that they do not agree with? I am qiute sure they are not going to be doing anything, that other parades, have not done. As for what God, likes and dislikes, don't you think that is between God and the gay people?You have the right to disagree, with them, but you do not have the right to stop them!! It is the same with the race problem,do you think certain races, had the choice to be the color they are? If you don't like the fact that there will be a gay parade, don't go, it is as simple as that. As long as they are not on your lawn, then get over it!! It takes to much energy, to worry about things that you cannot change!! That mean's gay people, and their rights!!!

Rudy4364
Rudy4364 02/18/10 - 10:02 am

Get over it folks! How many

Get over it folks! How many times do we read about a homosexual slashing someones throat or participating in some type of hate crime or animal abuse? Just for your information, I have had an opportunity to work with many, many, gay people. Once I got to know them I can proudly say they have become my respected friends due to who they are on the inside which I see as loving and kind to all of God's creatures including the narrow minded idiots that bash them just because they don't conform to what "regular" people think they should be. I say, "On with the Gay Pride Parade!"

joekm46
joekm46 02/18/10 - 10:23 am

Parades should be limited to

Parades should be limited to only the ones organized and sanctioned by the city of Augusta, for the benefit of all citizens. Not just a select group! I can remember in September 2005 about the time New Orleans, LA. was having a gay pride convention or some flamboyant debauchery, our government flooded the city as accused by some folks. If an unusal amount of rain occures days before this parade( if we allow it). I am heading for high ground!!! How does that float your boat? Adios!!!

Monix War
Monix War 02/18/10 - 10:49 am

Mr Bernardi, Personally, I

Mr Bernardi,
Personally, I feel Augusta has bigger issues to tackle than a Gay Pride Parade. Our children are killing each other. We are being over run by gangs. Richmond County Schools are about to be in hiatus again. The quality of life here is in a steady decline and it has nothing to do with our Gay and Lesbian community. If you want to see true "immoral behavior for public display" go to the 2100 block Of Ramblewood Dr. in Pepper Ridge. Send my condolences to the most recent murder victim's family while you are there.

grinder48
grinder48 02/18/10 - 10:55 am

where is something about the

where is something about the decision to let this go forward posted in today's AC? Why didn't they put these idiots in an isolated palce like they did Martha Burke? Who pays for all the additional costs and disuptions and distractions keeping the police from focusing on what they need to be doing. I was a deke supporter ... no more ... will work against him in the future

curly123053
curly123053 02/18/10 - 11:48 am

Just do what I plan to

Just do what I plan to do.....stay home ! I won't give them the satisfaction of having an audience. I will simply stay away from downtown as I have done the last 10 to 15 yrs. Not going to bother me.

bclicious
bclicious 02/18/10 - 12:48 pm

I've read a lot of comments

I've read a lot of comments about this gay pride festival, and I only have one thing to say, being gay or homosexual in America does not hurt or threaten anyone. With that said, I believe that in the majority rules belief. Bigot or not, I don't think that we should cater to any minority belief, religion, or way of life, if any way it infringes or conflicts with the majority of Americans beliefs. Americans are a majority christian, heterosexual nation who speaks english. That is the truth. I personally believe that the writers of the constitutions intention at the time the constitution was written was to provide a system where no one would be maliciously stopped from being able to practice their religious and moral beliefs. I really don't think Augusta would be malicious in nature if they decided to turn down the gay parade; however, if we turned down the parade, and had a heterosexual parade in its place, that would be malicious in nature.

I know my comments offend a lot of Americans, but this is how I feel, and how a majority of my countrymen feel. I do welcome people of all nationalities, languages, and moral beliefs to our great country, but while you are here, please remember: "When in rome, do as the romans do". Please adhere to our majority agreed American customs and courtesies.

Humbly,

Bobby

daniel29856
daniel29856 02/18/10 - 01:17 pm

First off I just want to say

First off I just want to say I am not gay, but do not look down at someone's sexual preferance. I just checked the latest poll info and its astonishing how many ppl dont want to let ppl march and take pride in who they are. Is this country going down the path to socialism or what. We all should take pride, weather your gay or not, in the fact that our countrymen can march down the street and stand up for what they believe in. Put your personal beliefs aside and look at the bigger picture here ppl. We live in a society where everyone has a voice and we dont have to hide it for fear of imprisonment or worse DEATH. Talk to the men and women who have lost family members in Iran or any other country that doesnt allow free speech bc they stood up and died for the one thing every human being is entitled to. A VOICE. If by some chance one day you dont have a voice and cant stand up for what u believe in, what will u think? How would u feel? I would gladly give my life so another human being can have a voice. I would gladly give my life so my children and children’s children would have a voice. And a lot of Americans have died for that belief. We should all be ashamed. I want all you to remember those so called "Deviants" some 230+ years ago and what they thought Americans core values should be. Life, Liberty, AND THE PERSUIT OF HAPPINESS. WHAT IS WRONG WITH U IGNORANT PPL. LET THESE PPL MARCH, LET THEIR VOICES BE HEARD, CAUSE SOMEDAY YOU MAY WANT YOUR VOICE HEARD AND THERE MIGHT BE SOMEONE THERE TELLING YOU NO!!!!!

daniel29856
daniel29856 02/18/10 - 01:35 pm

TO: Whoever wrote the comment

TO: Whoever wrote the comment about the Romans.If you remember the Romans didnt last. How dare you say "DO AS THE ROMANS DO". THIS ISNT ROME!!!!! The majority of Americans have forgotten what our society was based on. And if you are a true christian then start practicing the righteous parts of your beliefs. Exceptance, Love, and most of all Respect of thy fellow man. "Judge Ye Not, Unless Ye Be Judged". I put no stock in the majority of christian beliefs in this country bc most churches preach all that, but they are limited in who they think falls into the category of who deserves that. God loves everyone.... Remember that, cause one day you will judged, and when you do, are u gonna say the majority rules then?

bclicious
bclicious 02/18/10 - 01:32 pm

Wow Daniel29856, I think you

Wow Daniel29856, I think you are right. We should all flaunt our beliefs no matter how much they might offend someone else. Who cares what the majority believes. They should cater to the minority every time. As a matter of fact, I think once the gay parade is over, I will apply for a pagan festival license. We will have this pagan festival downtown, we will all dress up in robes, sacrifice animals to our gods, and then end it with a public orgy. This is ok right. I mean, no one will get hurt. This is my way of celebrating my pagan beliefs, and if you don't like it you could stay home, right? Life, Liberty, AND THE PERSUIT OF HAPPINESS, and nothing would make me happier than to have a pagan festival downtown with animal sacrifices, and a public orgy.

Thanks Daniel29856.

Your the man, good idea.

bclicious
bclicious 02/18/10 - 01:34 pm

Now daniel29856, I want my

Now daniel29856, I want my acceptance since you are christian.

Please, accept me.

bclicious
bclicious 02/18/10 - 01:38 pm

Yes, When I am judged by

Yes, When I am judged by saint peter at the gates of heaven, and god himself, I will gladly sacrifice my soul to the abyss of eternal damnation in order to ensure that others may go forth, and live in peace. I make this sacrifice willingly.

Regents approve tuition hikes

DAHLONEGA, Ga. - Tuition is going up for Georgia students at all 31 state colleges and universities under a budget plan approved Tuesday by the state Board of Regents, including the largest ...