Gay pride parade should be forbidden

The city is considering allowing a so-called gay pride parade through the streets of Augusta. There is nothing "gay" about it!

To allow homosexuals to parade up and down the streets of Augusta -- and to allow these gay people to push their perverted sexual agenda in our face -- is not moral. I have no problem with these people keeping their sexually perverted behavior to themselves at home behind closed doors and not pushing it on the rest of us.

What's next -- parades for those who practice bestiality, or pedophiles on parade?

Mayor Copenhaver should tell any ACLU lawyers fighting for this parade to go back to Atlanta. The people of Augusta, Richmond County and the CSRA do not tolerate this immoral behavior for public display.

Rick A. Bernardi Sr.

North Augusta, S.C.

MrsAlicia
MrsAlicia 02/17/10 - 03:39 pm
The "founding fathers" were

The "founding fathers" were made up almost entirely of deists - not Christians. This country wasn't founded on Christian values. Read the Treaty of Tripoli and get your history straight.

deekster
deekster 02/17/10 - 03:59 pm
Bill Clinton and Mark Sanford

Bill Clinton and Mark Sanford will be hosting the "heterosexual adulterers" pride parade in the not to distance future. Millions will march, but it will still be SIN. Anything goes in Sodom and Gomorrah.

Broadrick
Broadrick 02/17/10 - 04:01 pm
What a backwards, uneducated,

What a backwards, uneducated, and pathetic argument...

How can anyone argue that homosexuals are forcing their 'lifestyle' by organizing a parade!? Just because I attended a St. Patrick's Day parade doesn't mean I'm Irish...

Just because you don't agree with this event doesn't mean you have the right to shut it down. If had a phobia of Irish people and tried to shut down a St. Patrick's Day parade, I would be considered insane and probably looked down upon. Well guess what... anyone that is educated and doesn't live under a rock looks down upon you.

You don't choose your race, you don't choose your sexuality.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 02/17/10 - 04:42 pm
Sarqbaby - You are not called

Sarqbaby - You are not called a hypocrite because of your status as a Christian but due to your beliefs and actions as written in these comments. Learn the meaning of a hypocrite. You answered much of the question as to why the hypocrite label is given to many Christians very clearly on you own. If as you so claim that 85% of Americans are Christians, then the sheer facts and statistics of divorce rates, prison populations, adulterers, etc who claim to be Christians prove a very hypocritical point. The fraudsters who get on TV and steal money from people in the name of Christianity are never protested by true Christians. The congregations of churches are not purged of those not living a Christian lifestyle mostly due to monetary reasons but the hypocritical Christians will bring up the fact that their doors are open to all and that everybody is sinners and nobody is perfect and they hate the sin not the sinner, ad nauseum yet those same hypocrites will write comments as above condemning people. It is nothing but hypocrisy.

I realize I am in the minority. The Constitution was written in a way to protect minorities since the founders of America were religious minorities who fled the persecution and oppressive state they were subjected to at the hands of Christians. What hypocrisy!

livinginthebuckle
livinginthebuckle 02/17/10 - 04:13 pm
Yet, another example of a

Yet, another example of a Christian determined to shove his religious values (hate and intolerance) down my throat. Thank you, Mr. Bernardi, for reminding me again why I avoid you and your fellow followers as much as possible.

WeAreHere
WeAreHere 02/17/10 - 04:24 pm
Wow! Well, I see we have no

Wow! Well, I see we have no shortage on ignorance in this area. Most of our southern cities hold gay pride parades each year, such as Atlanta, Savannah, Columbia, Charlotte, Memphis, and Nashville. I would like to remind you that in this country we have a little thing we call "separation of church and state". That was put in place to protect all citizens from having the views and beliefs of one religion from being forced upon them. The gay and lesbian community has a right to celebrate publicly. If some do not like it or disagree with it, then you have that right as well.

Whether you want to admit it or see it, this area is full of gays and lesbians. We are everywhere whether you like it or not. This parade will be a loving and peaceful demonstration of the pride we feel inside having had the courage to be true to who we are. I don't know exactly what people are expecting. There won't be public sex on street corners or Bible burning bondfires in the middle of Broad Street. We are peaceful, family oriented people just like yourselves. I know in order for hate to live you must fuel it with sterotypes, so you convince yourselves that we are deviants and will ultimately corrupt downtown in one afternoon. Please! There will be gays, lesbians, and yes many open-minded heterosexuals there on that day. We will walk together and have interesting conversations about family, love, and faith. We will celebrate by waving a few flags and holding the hand of the one we love in public, which we aren't able to do most days. We will enjoy good music, good friends, and good fun. That is what to expect. Where is the wrong in that? Stop stereotyping us! We are just like you. We work where you work, live where you live, shop where you shop, and yes... worship where you worship. We are people too, and we have the same rights that you have. We are not trying to topple the fragile religious house of cards that some of our heterosexual christians live in, and we aren't a cult out to take your first born. Relax, people! We just want to have a day of celebration together in a city we also live in and love.

ustabe
ustabe 02/17/10 - 04:51 pm
I love the holier-than-thou

I love the holier-than-thou attitudes of Mr. B and some other posters. Don't agree with gays? Don't go to the parade. Think they're "defective"? You're just unenlightened. I am SO glad there are places like Asheville, NC - a much smaller city than Augusta - where gays are welcome and their parades are quite well attended, not to mention quite unoffensive. Look at some of the crap in New Orleans during Mardi Gras and tell me that's OK, but a gay rights parade is wrong. Come on, people. Your prejudices and ignorance are showing.

WeAreHere
WeAreHere 02/17/10 - 05:08 pm
If you look to this nation's

If you look to this nation's history, you will see that in all the human rights' debates religion has been used as the basis for denial. If our country had allowed these same arguments to stand along the years, women would not be able to vote or own property. African Americans would not have any rights in this country, for the bible was used to justify slavery, as well as the atrocities committed during the age of the Civil Rights Movement. Lets also not forget that the bible was the entire argument as to why whites and blacks should not be allowed to marry or even go to school together.

I want to add that I do not believe this is a religious matter. If you believe homosexuality is wrong, then, don't be homosexual. Its that simple. God is our judge, and I don't believe He went on vacation and asked his flock to do the judging for him. If you sit reading this with hate in your heart and vengeance on your mind, don't blame the gay pride parade or those who will participate in it. Look within yourself and ask what it is about you that makes you feel this way. We are people just like you. Don't hate what you don't understand. Educate yourselves. Ask questions. Don't pass judgment on a matter you haven't even bothered to try to understand.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/17/10 - 05:20 pm
"..then the sheer facts and

"..then the sheer facts and statistics of divorce rates, prison populations, adulterers, etc who claim to be Christians prove a very hypocritical point.." Baron, somehow I think you got the impression that Christians are suppose to be perfect. Why do you think we have repentance and church services. "The fraudsters who get on TV and steal money from people in the name of Christianity are never protested by true Christians" Just because you haven't heard or read about faithful Christians speaking out against this, doesn't mean it's not been proclaimed unrighteous by true followers of Christ. "The congregations of churches are not purged of those not living a Christian lifestyle mostly due to monetary reasons " This statement of all your statements is the most furtherest from the truth. Those not living a Christian lifestyle are not purged from church because church is where they need to be. In order to learn how to be like Christ, to worship Him and to learn how to obey His Word, and to be what you call a "true" Christians, this is what church is for. It's not for perfect people. (By the way, either you are or you are not a Christian.) If you are not a true Christian, you never were one in the first place.

noone
noone 02/17/10 - 05:21 pm
do they make a gay vaccine?

do they make a gay vaccine? because judging by some of these posts homosexuality must be contagious. Like having a parade is going to turn straight people gay.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/17/10 - 05:35 pm
sasulou, I respect your anger

sasulou, I respect your anger towards Mr. Bernardi's letter but let me ask you.....you blast Mr. Bernardi for his opinion towards homosexuals but are you not exhibiting the same hatred towards him because your opinion of homosexuals differ. Do not say you don't have hatred because let me quote you "..you make me sick", "....You are a narrow minded, hateful, horrible man..." "You will get what is deservedly coming to you..." Why can't people disagree civily without all the hateful comments....that goes for both sides of the issue.

countyman
19164
countyman 02/17/10 - 05:36 pm
Augusta is the second largest

Augusta is the second largest city and metro in GA. Savannah is the third largest MSA which is 200,000 less people than Augusta's MSA. Augusta MSA(Richmond, Mcduffie, Columbia, Aiken, Burke, Edgefield) 535,000 to Savannah MSA 330,000(as of 2008). Augusta doesn't have a CSA. But Augusta's MSA is 115,000 more people than the third largest CSA in GA. Columbus CSA is 420,000 people.

That's why having a gay parade in Augusta. It should be no big deal at all.... The CSRA has a population close to 700,000 Richmond, Aiken, Columbia, Burke, Glascock, Hancock, Jefferson, Jenkins, Lincoln, Mcduffie, Taliaffero, Warren, Washington, Wilkes, Edgefield, Allendale, Barnwell, & Mccormick.

If that wasn't enough. The city of Augusta and Richmond county is gaining more people than the entire metro Macon and Columbus.

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 02/17/10 - 05:40 pm
We hold these truths to be

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
The Declaration of Independence is a good read for real Americans. Take a blog break and reflect on what freedom means.

sasulou
sasulou 02/17/10 - 05:42 pm
countyman- hard to believe

countyman- hard to believe that Augusta is the 2nd largest city in GA, isn't it? Sure doesn't feel that way.

SnidleyWhiplash
SnidleyWhiplash 02/17/10 - 05:48 pm
This whole argument is moot

This whole argument is moot now - WJBF is reporting that the mayor has approved the parade. Bravo, Mayor Deke!

sasulou
sasulou 02/17/10 - 05:47 pm
Did my comment get reported

Did my comment get reported because I said the letters were verbal equivalents of hate crimes or because I likened the letter writers comments to racist speech? They are both! Man, am I glad I am moving out of this small minded town!

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/17/10 - 05:51 pm
Auntie Alicia, what planet

Auntie Alicia, what planet are you from, may I be so bold to ask?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/17/10 - 05:56 pm
When someone has the cross

When someone has the cross and religious symbols covered when he speaks, Will never call a muslin a terrorist, free captured terrorist, insure that all hostile combatants are read their rights and given civilian justice, band the word Christmas, hang enemy pictures on his holiday tree, will not allow a 47 year tractional fly over by the Air Force at a graduation, support the killing of unborn humans, and tells you that gays are part of our society and to embrace their freedoms..................How can you stop a gay right movement from taken place when you have the highest power supporting them. Just live with it as we all are now!

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/17/10 - 05:56 pm
sasulou, I see where your

sasulou, I see where your post got deleted so now my comment to you seems like a one-sided conversation. I believe your post probably got deleted by the moderator (not that it was reported) due to the things I mentioned in my post, but that's just my guess.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/17/10 - 06:24 pm
Glen Beck is doing today one

Glen Beck is doing today one of his best FACTS and Common Sense broadcast. A AAA+ for you.

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/17/10 - 06:26 pm
May be the second largest

May be the second largest city in the state.. but it sure acts like the biggest back-water in the nation. I hear the banjoes a playin'.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/17/10 - 06:47 pm
Gay Rights parade will last 1

Gay Rights parade will last 1 repeat 1 day....how long do you think this movement will last......................

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/17/10 - 07:24 pm
With 12,500 applicants

With 12,500 applicants already applied and the agency estimates up to 200,000 could apply, just goes to show you how many illegal immigrants we have in the US just from this one country before the earthquake, since this program is SUPPOSE to apply to those already in the US before the earthquake. After the 18 month grace period how many do you think will go back to Haiti where legally they should have been all along and apply legally through the proper procedures. I feel for these people but I'm more concerned about legal US citizens and them surviving and caring for their families. If we have high unemployment now, how do they expect these immigrants to find jobs also.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/17/10 - 07:27 pm
Baron sez; "You are not

Baron sez; "You are not called a hypocrite because of your status as a Christian but due to your beliefs and actions as written in these comments."
__________________________________________

Go back and read your comment Baron! You lie like a rug!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/17/10 - 07:32 pm
I just realized, Baron, you

I just realized, Baron, you don't read very well, and your thinking is not very comprehensive. So, continue on with your beliefs, it's of no consequence of mine. Just make sure when you comment, that you get your facts straight, then, don't lie!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/17/10 - 07:38 pm
Sasulou, I envite you to

Sasulou, I envite you to hurry up and leave, and not return! You "lump" people to categories the same as Baron does! So long now, ya heah?

MakeADifference
MakeADifference 02/17/10 - 07:47 pm
I would like to ask of all of

I would like to ask of all of you who are against the parade: take a look at yourself with a very discerning eye and ask if there is not something about yourself of which other people may disapprove. In my experience, it is those who are most judgmental of others who have the most that they are either afraid of others finding out...whether that be insecurity, dark secrets, embarrassing flaws, etc.. Now, if your flaw that you are hiding is something that kept you from living a normal, happy life unless you were able to freely express it, would you wish that others treat you in the way that you are castigating the GLBTQ population?
There is research that supports that being GLBTQ is genetic. There are times that it is a choice, I understand, but I would venture to say (and look up later when I have more time) that at least half of the cases involving homosexuality, it is in fact not a choice. Why would someone choose to constantly submit oneself to the extent of hate and biggotry that is being displayed on this website? I understand the argument that will come that they "want to be different." Anyone with a basic understanding of social psychology knows that even the most "deviant" person wants to be accepted and loved (see Mark Leary's work if you don't believe me, and, p.s., he is a well-respected professor of Duke University...a very prolific social psychologist who studies the self).
If you don't like the parade, don't go. The people attending don't want you there anyway with your closed mind.
I could write a dissertation on this, but I am late.
Think about it, please. What good are you doing the world to hate a group of people who does not harm you?

CitadelCadetCaravan
CitadelCadetCaravan 02/17/10 - 07:53 pm
How many people, with high

How many people, with high moral standards like the author of this article, will be protesting the Masters Tournament if Tiger Woods shows up? How dare they/he "parade" around our town under the protection of our taxing payer funded overtime-pay police force. Isn't the author and others with his view just as outraged by those that would choose to lower their morals and exhalt these pervert and sex addicts in sport? By the way, the sponsors may be flaunting their lifestyles on you when they have bikini clad buxoms selling you beer. The outrage! Remember Jesus' words...I tell you that if a man lusts in his heart, he has committed adultry." Rick Bernardi Sr...shame on you! BTW, see you at the parade!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/17/10 - 07:56 pm
WeAreHere, apparently, you

WeAreHere, apparently, you think some of us jumped off the banana truck yesterday. You would be wrong, friend. This topic has been debated for eons, every angle explored, and every argument made. This is not about homosexuality, it's about flaunting it. I don't care what the participants do. I'm not responsible for one other living soul. Every person chooses his or her lifestyle. If that lifestyle includes immoral scenes depicted in a street parade, those people will be responsible for whatever reward they receive, whatever karma they get, or whatever, period! I reiterate, you don't see heterosexuals parading, but what the heck we don’t need to flaunt it, so let the people do what they like. It won't rub off on me, and no one will "catch it." Besides, it's there 15 minutes of fame, let em have it!

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/17/10 - 07:59 pm
MakeADifference, just because

MakeADifference, just because someone disagrees with the gay parade does not mean they hate homosexuals. I'm sure everyone can find something they dislike about themselves but doesn't mean there is some dark secret they are hiding. You asked why would someone choose to live a gay lifestyle when is is so unacceptable and there are a lot of hate.....it's called SIN and Satan. Do not be deceived, Satan has a stronghold on this country and you might be right that in some cases homosexuality might be genetic but my God is an AWESOME and POWERFUL God. Because of sin, humans have suffered from the beginning of time....If God can raise his Son from the dead, I believe He can handle a simple defect of being sexually attracted to the same sex. The problem on this site is one group thinks the other group is hateful because both groups have a difference of opinion. I will agree that there has been ugly comments on both sides of the issue but after reading most of these post, I'm finding the hateful name calling has been more on the side for the gay parade.

Taxpayers duck financial hit

Taxpayers dodged a financial punch when a judge ruled this month Augusta doesn't have to pay attorney fees to the company that successfully sued the city over its bidding process.