Gay pride parade should be forbidden

The city is considering allowing a so-called gay pride parade through the streets of Augusta. There is nothing "gay" about it!

To allow homosexuals to parade up and down the streets of Augusta -- and to allow these gay people to push their perverted sexual agenda in our face -- is not moral. I have no problem with these people keeping their sexually perverted behavior to themselves at home behind closed doors and not pushing it on the rest of us.

What's next -- parades for those who practice bestiality, or pedophiles on parade?

Mayor Copenhaver should tell any ACLU lawyers fighting for this parade to go back to Atlanta. The people of Augusta, Richmond County and the CSRA do not tolerate this immoral behavior for public display.

Rick A. Bernardi Sr.

North Augusta, S.C.

corgimom
corgimom 02/16/10 - 06:25 pm
I guess there are people that

I guess there are people that think that the Constitution only offers rights to some American citizens, not all. The right to peacefully assemble is a fundamental right. And if you want to talk about immoral behavior, I notice that Mr. Bernardi has nothing to say about places like the Discotheque, or the open, blatant prostitution and drug dealing that takes place downtown- and has for years. That's different, right? If you disagree with the parade, just don't go. That's all you need to do. Considering that Mr. Bernardi lives in North Augusta, I don't see why Mr. Bernardi would think this is a problem to begin with. I'd far rather go see a parade- that is strictly optional to attend- rather than live by a drug dealer or watch prostitution go on. A gay pride parade is not a crime.

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/16/10 - 06:56 pm
Let 'em do their thing. If

Let 'em do their thing. If you don't like it, you can (a) mount a protest by carrying signs along the route, or (b) boycott it by staying home and encouraging your friends to do the same. Those are the right ways to oppose them.
Or we could stand along the way and jeer at their outfits as tacky and poorly-coordinated which might make them cancel future years' parades out of sheer embarrassment. Hmm, now that I think of it...

dani
dani 02/16/10 - 07:15 pm
Dixieman..I don't know how

Dixieman..I don't know how that would work. Who would want to be within sight of this horror?
BTW..This is not a matter of "rights" - but rather a matter of moral decency. The public has a right not to be subjected to such carrying - on.

dani
dani 02/16/10 - 07:16 pm
- on.

- on.

dominionfs
dominionfs 02/16/10 - 07:54 pm
Dani says: "The public has a

Dani says: "The public has a right not to be subjected to such carrying - on."
It has been my experience that most people who love to scream about 'rights' have forgotten a fundamental fact. (Sean: I say MOST people so as not to be accused of personally attacking the poster.:))

That fact being that every right carries with it an equally important responsibility. If I demand the right to a fair trial, then I cannot deny that to another. If I claim the right to vote, I can deny it to none and if I claim the right to peacefully assemble for a LEGAL purpose, then I can deny that to no other.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 02/16/10 - 07:59 pm
I see that our area still

I see that our area still doesn't have a shortage of biggots. You should be ashamed of yourself Mr. Bernardi.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 02/16/10 - 08:36 pm
OH, I get it now. When the

OH, I get it now. When the constitutional rights of gays is in the least way bruised, we get the usual contingent of ACLU types braying about rights. However, when the Ku Klux Klan tried to hold the same type of event in Nahunta, Ga The City Council turned them down flat. How about it, those of you shouting about rights. How would you like a Klan march right down the middle of Augusta? Would that offend you in the slightest? I'm just asking, because it all depends on what you find offensive. One size fits all here. You can't have it both ways.

GGpap
GGpap 02/16/10 - 08:39 pm
Mr. Bernardi, you write that

Mr. Bernardi, you write that "The people of Augusta, Richmond County and the CSRA do not tolerate this immoral behavior for public display." A BIG OOPS, Sir! By some of the response you are getting so far it would appear that you really don't speak for all of the people, nor do you speak for me. And, lest you question my motive for responding, I can also assure you that I won't be participating in any Gay Parade, nor do I think some of the others here will either. But, it is certain that we do believe in the rights of all Americans to peacefully assemble. GGpap

GGpap
GGpap 02/16/10 - 08:43 pm
Federalist, I don't recall

Federalist, I don't recall reading anything in this article or on this string concerning anyone's objection to a Klan parade. Are you simply making an assumption? If so, you lose. :0) GGpap

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/16/10 - 08:45 pm
Any group not breaking the

Any group not breaking the law should be allowed to assemble, regardless of how we feel as individuals. It's the American way. That being said, this is a very conservative area and if the ultra-liberals wish to push buttons, they should expect a reaction. One would think liberal gays would find a better place to "celebrate" their diversity.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/16/10 - 08:50 pm
GGap, I read TheFederalist's

GGap, I read TheFederalist's post to group all extremist sects when making comparisons. The ultra-extremist KKK is no more welcome than the ultra-liberal gay exhibitionists.

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 02/16/10 - 09:57 pm
Actually, the KKK would have

Actually, the KKK would have and has had the legal right to assemble anywhere in chooses. The concern is that the KKK has historically condoned extremist actions like lynchings, beatings and tar & feathering to advance it's agenda. Groups that advocate illegal things generally generate less enthusiasm than most. My own view is that public assembly of the KKK has been beneficial to anti-racist, anti-bigot agenda since allowing them to speak has shown them for the fools they are and thus they no longer assemble because they can no longer muster sufficient members to pay the venue costs. By airing letters like those today, the Augusta Chronicle advances the gay rights agenda in a pretty similar fashion.

devgru1
devgru1 02/16/10 - 10:00 pm
Go back to sleep for another

Go back to sleep for another 100 years Mr. Bernardi.

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/16/10 - 10:01 pm
I still think we should go

I still think we should go and make fun of their outfits, which will probably make them flee to San Francisco or New York.

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 02/16/10 - 10:08 pm
An insightful post for

An insightful post for someone who represents themselves as a little Asian man covered in mustard.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/16/10 - 10:10 pm
Corgi sez: "I'd far rather go

Corgi sez: "I'd far rather go see a parade- that is strictly optional to attend- rather than live by a drug dealer or watch prostitution go on. A gay pride parade is not a crime."
________________________________

It's not a parade or a crime, it's an exhibition, in your face flaunt of immorality, where agendas are are often propelled to higher expectations! The fact is, they have the right to assemble. Does "assemble" equate to a marching parade? Now that's the question I'd like to see answered.

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 02/16/10 - 10:13 pm
Allow me: Just for education:

Allow me:

Just for education: Legal Assembly is whatever the relevant jurisdcition's legal code says it is. If it identifies parades, bonfires, group dance, tent revivals or horseshoe-throwing contests as a legal assembly, then they are required under the first amendment to allow it for any group that chooses to assemble that way.

That said, they can forbid any of those but they most do so equally. Parades are forbidden on I-20 but are so for anyone.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/16/10 - 10:18 pm
Well and good, PWUO, but what

Well and good, PWUO, but what does the relevant jurisdcition's legal code specify? I understand what you're getting at, but we need facts, not "whatevers!"

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 02/16/10 - 10:21 pm
I think we can be fairly

I think we can be fairly confident that Augusta's legal code allows parades on Broad Street based on Christmas, St. Patrick's, Futurity parades, The Iron Man Competition, etc. If some do, then all do.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/16/10 - 10:25 pm
I would still like to know

I would still like to know what the code specifies! I believe you're correct, but knowing how some cities differ, especially in the South, you never know what you'll find!

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 02/16/10 - 10:35 pm
I admit I do not know all the

I admit I do not know all the details but in other places, in generally has to do with security, a series of admonitions about hazardous materials, distance between floats and such. All of that has to be cleared by the sheriff, fire dept, etc, which I gather this particular permit has already passed. The mayor signs not so much for a matter of approval but to indicate that he in fact knows all this and can be held accountable if ever tries to deny knowing it was happening.

That said, if you are looking for a loophole to prevent the parade, that is a fairly cowardly tactic. This is not surprising, giving the level of fear this appears to have provoked, but such fears are unwarranted. Most gay pride parades are more marches/processionals to show solidarity with other gays, not to put on a display. 95% of the attendees at a gay pride event would be indistinguishable from anyone else on the street were you to encounter them outside the context of a pride event. As has been stated by many posters, the event is celebrate with themselves. You attempts to make it about you are just silly.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 02/16/10 - 10:50 pm
I guess Mr. Benardi is

I guess Mr. Benardi is worried straight people are going to start having homosexual orgies all along the parade route and therefore further the moral decline of such a fine city as Augusta.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 02/16/10 - 10:51 pm
I'm sure he'll be on the

I'm sure he'll be on the bridge with a "[filtered word] go home" sign.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/16/10 - 10:56 pm
PWUO sez; "That said, if you

PWUO sez; "That said, if you are looking for a loophole to prevent the parade, that is a fairly cowardly tactic."
______________________________

Sorry, I'm not looking, period! It's also not about me! I am very tolerant of homosexuals because I believe it could be as biological as any other birth defect, but I draw the line with flamboyance and this "in your face" stuff. The best thing that could happen is that downtown turn into a ghost town and let them parade away without an audience. I can guarandamtee you I won't be an observer, but count on the curious to go watch.

"Coming out," in a place like Augusta, is flaunting homosexuality, IMHO, but that is my opinion. What other purpose does it serve? Do straight people parade their heterosexual preferences? I don't think so!

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 02/16/10 - 10:59 pm
Then the curious will learn

Then the curious will learn something. They will see a bunch of people who pretty much look like everyone else and who are not bothering anyone. They will hear some good music in the vein that binds people together in joy the way only music can. And maybe, just maybe, they might start to think that people like Mr. Bernardi don't represent the best of what we can be. If they can do that, I would have to say all of us, attending and otherwise, will be that much the better.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 02/16/10 - 11:14 pm
Thank you Johnston.cliff. You

Thank you Johnston.cliff. You got my point exactly. Imho, any city has the right to ban something that, by a vote of the city council, has been deemed inappropiate for that community. The city of Nahunta, Ga, was faced with just such a decision and they chose to ban the KKK, which was their right. No great whoop. Now, Augusta, Ga, is now faced with the same type of decision. I do not pretend to know what is right for Augusta, because I do not live there, but I am sure they know what will happen if they choose to block the event. The ACLU will decend on this city like locusts, I'm sure. I have no doubt that the city will elect to allow it because the price of blocking it would be prohibitive, due to all the legal fees they would undoubtedly incur. Honestly, I don't really care which way it goes down, but my point is that it is the right of any city in the US, to block any parade, that they feel is inappropiate for that city, and they do it routinely every day. However, when the parade in question has anything to do with gays, then everything is different. Oh, and please, don't try and say that their parades are no different than anyone else's because that is simply not true. They are offensive. I have seen a few in my lifetime, and I don't care to see another, thank you very much. Like it or not, that is how it is today in the USA.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 02/16/10 - 11:30 pm
Dear Pay, I am all for

Dear Pay, I am all for rights and such and I clearly understand your "intelligent" arguments but there is an old law that goes back farther than the ones you are talking about and it's called "Sodomy" and its called the difference between right and wrong. When a people can't even see that this lifestyle is an abomination then prepare for God's judgement.

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 02/16/10 - 11:35 pm
There is a higher law than

There is a higher law than even those, that you are to love your neighbor as you love yourself. That same lawgiver says that while we will all answer God's judgment, only God will judge and those who presume that task for themselves are those most at risk of damnation. Finally, that lawgiver says a tree is known by it's fruit. When you come here with undertones of violence against God's children, what kind of tree does that make you?

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 02/16/10 - 11:40 pm
I have not promoted any

I have not promoted any violence as a matter of fact it is my concern for all of them to be safe that's why I mentioned it. Its safer for them to stay home. I have loved more gay people and helped more of them than you can imagine. But I am not going to condone what God has already judged. God said it is an abomination. God said that those who practice it are damned. God said that it is the act of a depraved human being. Therefore, in love I seek to help them understand the consequences of that sin. What kind of tree am I? One saved by God's grace and I love my fellowman enough to help him see that God can even forgive the sin of homosexuality. Love does not mean blind condoning of ones bad habits that will lead to heartache.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 02/16/10 - 11:53 pm
to any homosexuals that are

to any homosexuals that are struggling to be set free there is a wonderful organization called exodus international and they are awesome at helping just log on to the name dot org.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs