Malkin hit home run with column

I would like to compliment columnist Michelle Malkin on a well-written piece on Michelle Obama's anti-obesity campaign ("Greedy union fat cats are behind first lady's anti-obesity campaign," Feb. 5).

This is good journalism. Maybe more media sources will start publicizing this SEIU special-interest campaign.

Enjoy your paper; keep it up.

David G. Lewis

Augusta

kulay294
kulay294 02/07/10 - 10:41 am
One thing you won't hear come

orgpsych
orgpsych 02/07/10 - 12:48 pm
I didn't see Ms Malkin's

I didn't see Ms Malkin's column. I only see the electronic edition and I don't see where it is included in that version. I don't usually care for Ms Malkin because I don't like her "pick a tiny point and hard on it until it festers into an issue" style of writing.

Let me address something that was said in another letter thread, though. J.C. and a couple of others have decided that I am a flaming liberal. Not quite true. If you put up a scale of liberal to the left and conservative to the right (came up with that myself : )) I would generally fall toward the middle. I typically lean just a little to the left of center but sway within a range on both sides, depending upon the issue. I believe that you will find that most people are actually pretty similar.

That said, I believe in personal accountability. You say what you mean and then you stand by it. If you have an opinion, be willing to walk that talk. If not, then I have no use for you.

I believe in consistency and a level standard. Treating each other exactly the same is inherently unfair. However, that is not the political or legal landscape within which we operate. If all is not exactly the same then we have legally or politically discriminated.

Because of that I will continue to bring up the fact that Clinton was impeached for an ambush question that had nothing to do with the stated purpose of the investigation being conducted at the time. "He was under oath" you say. I maintain that he, and all US Presidents, took a higher oath when they took office. His behavior was reprehensible and he should have been man enough to stand up and be held accountable for it.

That said, Old W obviously lied to the American people while under this same higher oath and nothing is said about it by the more conservative leaning crowd. Yes, I will continue to point this out because so many try to sweep it under the rug.

Clinton left us with a budget surplus which W pointedly disposed of. Then W took us well into the red as he spent and spent and THEN took us to war ... on credit. Now Obama is trying to clean that mess up and it is costing quite a bit more than probably anyone could have predicted. So we see the conservative movement try desperately to sweep W's actions under the other rug as they bash the current administration for spending so much money. I will continue to point that out, as well.

Why would these continue to be significant items to mention? Not for the reasons you think. They are important because they are blatant examples of the double-standard that characterizes the US political landscape today. Conservatives want accountability but then they refuse to accept any for their own actions.

Obama the great? Hardly. For one thing, I am disappointed with the way the Health Care Reform legslation was pushed through Congress (ramrod, closed door, etc.). I think we desperately need health care reform and the free market is not the way to get it. History has shown that with the rising costs of health care in this country. Outside intervention is required but I don't think what was done, or what is being done, is the right kind of intervention.

People ginned up Death Panels out of the bill. Have you ever been to a geriatric-oriented physician's office and watched how many people are there to get drugs while the doctor waits for them to die? That's a free-market Death Panel. Not all are thay way, of course, but far too many are.

I'm not real wild about Ms Pelosi but that's my business. She's in a tough job and old Newt didn't do any better. His presumed Contract With America wasn't and, when he reached too far, he paid dearly for it. Ms Pelosi could find herself in the same position one day. I didn't wish that on him and I don't wish it on her.

BTW, just because I am out of sync with the vast majority of people who post here doesn't necessarily make me wrong. When everyone nods their heads in rhythm and speaks the same words, be afraid. Be very afraid.

This is way longer than I intended it to be ... sorry.

More to the point of the letter: The value of unions and their agenda - labor unions were a good thing at first because they looked after the welfare of their member workers. That changed some time back, though, as they became big business themselves. Now there is too much money and political influence/power tied up in unions. They have taken on a life of their own and must work to survive just as any political party does. I could go into a much longer diatribe about labor unions but I'll save that for another letter.

TechLover
TechLover 02/07/10 - 02:46 pm
kulay: "One thing you won't

kulay: "One thing you won't hear come out of any Liberals mouth is how much money the top Union officials bring home. What you will hear is how awful it is for a corporation CEO to make 500k a year while the union official is making 800k a year. I wonder if there are any Liberal weenies who can defend that." Maybe because the top 10 union offiicial in the US made an average of $750 THOUSAND (2007 US Dept of Labor) and the top 10 CEO's made an average of $190 MILLION (Forbes, 2007 CEO salaries). Only 3 union officials made over $1 million and they were the Executive Directors of the Player Associations of the NBA, NFL, and MLB. The COMBINED salaries of the top 10 union offiials would rank 185th on Forbes list of INDIVIDUAL CEOs and the highest paid union exec would rank 427th inividually. Maybe the conservative weenies should do some research and get their facts straight.

chascush
chascush 02/07/10 - 10:53 pm
orgpsych, I’m sure you think

orgpsych, I’m sure you think you are in the center but after reading your comments I find that very hard to believe. The agenda you are recommending is not much different from Obama, Pelosi and Reed. You are in center alright; right in the center of the progressive/socialist agenda. Bush made a lot of mistakes but you folks keep forgetting 9/11. If we had Gore as president or Clinton when 9/11 happened we would be much worse condition. You liberals have very short memories

orgpsych
orgpsych 02/08/10 - 05:39 am
Chascush, you see what you

Chascush, you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear. Personal insults won't change anything. They just galvanize people into being exactly what you want them to be. Since you want them to be what they appear to become, then you get to keep on grousing and arguing. If they don't really become what you want, then you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear. So much for conversation, dialogue, debate, meaningful political discourse, and civil social discourse. In the end it appears that all of the commentary boils down to:

Dems Bad, Dems Bad, Dems Bad.

Beat that drum long enough and people will start to bob their heads to the rhythm and chant the "magic words." Then they will have gone blind to the fact that all of the arguments against the so-called "liberal elite" are being put out there by the "Conservative Elite" and then carried forward by the mindless drones chanting "Dems Bad, Dems Bad....."

Just because someone doesn't jump into your hip pocket and say, "I'm with you, pal" doesn't mean they are against you and certainly not that they are way over in the other camp. That kind of black-and-white thinking may be what used to exist but it no longer works in a world becoming increasingly gray. Open your eyes, step outside the blind ideology' and look at reality. There's bad stuff out there and hiding from it won't make it go away.

southernguy08
southernguy08 02/08/10 - 07:53 pm
To KULAY and TECH, my

To KULAY and TECH, my attitude is so what if a CEO makes millions and a union official makes hundreds of thousands. Let the market and the union members decide who makes what. The problem with Obama and his liberal ilk is they still have it in their feeble minds that it is a good thing to take from those who make and contribute to the economy, and give to those who only take. Or as they prefer to call it, "redistributing the wealth."

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/08/10 - 08:21 pm
ORGPSCH ,, Your post @1148am

ORGPSCH ,, Your post @1148am was one of the best I've read on here in months.. Thank you.. I feel a lot of us fall somewhere down the middle. You are soo right , open up those eyes & look at reality..

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/08/10 - 08:31 pm
You are also right we do have

You are also right we do have a lot of bobbing heads on here..

Grad rates show improvement by local school systems

Graduation rates in both Richmond and Columbia counties followed the statewide trend of slow and steady increases in 2014, although progress in individual schools varied greatly.