Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

SRS employment surge is not that great

Let's see: Savannah River Site gets $1.6 billion to supply 3,000 jobs for the next 30 months. That adds up to 90,000 months of employment total.

You don't need to do the math. My little calculator has already done it for you. Each of these jobs will cost $18,000 a month. Plus, when it is over, the 3,000 will again be out of work. Sounds like a pretty expensive Band Aid.

Dick Plummer

Augusta

Motorman5039
Motorman5039 04/07/09 - 01:35 am
If you were unemployed Id bet

If you were unemployed Id bet you would be doing the math adding up how much more money you can put in your empty pockets...Point is something is better than nothing, be grateful instead of being ungrateful...Just can't please people like Dick...Guess that's why he is named accordingly...

pthsssh
pthsssh 04/07/09 - 01:55 am
I keep reading these number

I keep reading these number crunching attempts and I have a question. Who is making the assumption that 100% of the 1.6 billion is to be used for payroll? Did I miss something?

GGpap
GGpap 04/07/09 - 02:29 am
Mr. Plummer, a cancer patient

Mr. Plummer, a cancer patient struggles to stay alive for "just a few more months" because there is always hope for a miracle cure just around the corner. Why not look at the 3000 jobs for 30 months as a productive waiting period, and palliative relief from the pain of unemployment, with hopes that the "cure" for our current economic situation will come about sooner than the 30 months expires for hose that have been given an opportunity to hope? Keep your calculator in your pocket, sir. The unemployed aren't interested in your numbers. GGpap

TechLover
TechLover 04/07/09 - 06:24 am
PTHS: I had the exact same

PTHS: I had the exact same thought when I read the LTE. I guess everyone just shows up and works. No desks, no computers, no phones, no other materials of any kind. I haven't seen too many jobs lke that.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/07/09 - 06:25 am
Mr. Plummer, just answer

Mr. Plummer, just answer this. How many jobs can YOU provide?

ITDoc
ITDoc 04/07/09 - 08:02 am
Sometimes nothing is better

Sometimes nothing is better than something. Not in this case, but indeed something is not always better than nothing.

SCEagle Eye
SCEagle Eye 04/07/09 - 08:12 am
You better believe that there

You better believe that there will be considerable administrative and training fees (for workers not qualified at the start) creamed right off the top of that $1.6 billion. Savannah River Nuclear Solutions and other contractors should pledge not to take any AIG-type bonus from the stimulus funds. Has DOE done an analysis of how longer-term jobs will be negatively impacted? I don't think so. Goal is to cut clean-up costs now & employee a flush of people in order to avoid costs and employment in the future.

TechLover
TechLover 04/07/09 - 08:24 am
What difference does it make

What difference does it make whether or not they take money from stimulus funds? The whole place is already operated solely on tax money.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 04/07/09 - 09:20 am
If they do take this bribe

If they do take this bribe money, we can be sure that dims will complain when the funds run out and increased taxes will be needed to continue the buy offs. Who will they blame then? Wanna bet that it won't be prezbho and his administration.

TechLover
TechLover 04/07/09 - 09:30 am
converted: Our tax dollars

converted: Our tax dollars have been spent at SRS for 50 years. How many posts have you made complaining?

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 04/07/09 - 09:39 am
tech... How many posts have

tech... How many posts have you made, complaining about anyone that disagrees with you? So I guess you're saying we should continue to spend even more taxpayers money. As I said before; dims continue to be the best comedy show in town.

jamesj
jamesj 04/07/09 - 09:44 am
$18,000 a month. 30

$18,000 a month. 30 months...I could pay off everything I owe and have a couple bucks left for McDonalds.......

jasonledford
jasonledford 04/07/09 - 10:10 am
Yep. Thankfully I live in a

Yep. Thankfully I live in a country that is providing me with a free education, where I have learned a skill, and am currently employed in a steady job that uses the skills that I learned. I am currently going to school for free and am actually earning an extra income by going to college. I'm not sure what the issue is. I've never sat around and waited for anyone to provide me a job. I went and got one. I was taught that was what a man is supposed to do. You know, better himself and his family. I could be wrong though.

jimbob
jimbob 04/07/09 - 10:49 am
Dick, are you stupid,blind or

Dick, are you stupid,blind or just too caught up in your negitive life to see the rest of the picture. Just about anyone in the country would take a job paying $18,000 per month and $540,000 for 30 months, if that was really what they were paying. Those people would spend a lot of that money in the local economy, creating more new jobs for the peolpe they spent money with, and so on. $1.6 Billion is a very large input into the local economy over 30 months, and we should all be greatful it is coming our way instead of someplace else.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/07/09 - 11:31 am
You can install a brain, and

You can install a brain, and you can teach them how to read and write, but you can't teach coherent thought!

TechLover
TechLover 04/07/09 - 12:00 pm
converted: I think everyone

converted: I think everyone on here debates with those who don't agree. If a Repub was sending more to SRS, you and every other righty would be praising it. I guess since we shouldn't spend any more taxpayer money you're in favor of shutting it down?

Tell it like it is
Tell it like it is 04/07/09 - 12:05 pm
convertedsouthener just what

convertedsouthener just what made you convert to this dismal place anyway. Maybe the original town you came from was better than Augusta. If so why don't you and dick go back and leave our area.
People drawing unemployment that has run out will become eligible again if they can be lucky enough to work at SRS for that limited time.

jasonledford
jasonledford 04/07/09 - 12:55 pm
I don't feel like I am being

I don't feel like I am being negative, I'm just saying that I never needed the federal government to step in and provide me a job. I just believe in Self Determination. In that sense, I would like to stop paying taxes to provide people with work.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 04/07/09 - 01:50 pm
Don't tell me somebody is

Don't tell me somebody is giving Converted Southerner the "Delta is ready when you are" famous line. Personally, I would use Air Tran. But the real point here is that is does not take 11,000 + 3,000 people to clean up the SRS. This place is a nuclear material warehouse (garbage dump). I know they make Trituim gas too, but it's a taxpayer sucking government location. It could be downsized.

Tell it like it is
Tell it like it is 04/07/09 - 01:56 pm
jasonledford Do you realize

jasonledford Do you realize that the least catastrophic event could deplete all your savings loose your job and be on the street. Don't judge other less fortunate people, its true some abuse the system but others are in dire need. Be thankful for what you have because in a twinkling of the eye it could all be gone.

Tell it like it is
Tell it like it is 04/07/09 - 02:27 pm
Niko Mahs:You know nothing

Niko Mahs:You know nothing about SRS, Tritium hasn't been made there in years. As for the 11,000 workers there they are not doing cleanup work. A lot goes on there that you don't need to know about. The extra workers are needed to do the cleanup that was halted during the Bush administration. If you are going to make comments at least get the facts straight.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 04/07/09 - 03:45 pm
Actually Tell It, a lot goes

Actually Tell It, a lot goes on there that I do know about. I used to work there, and believe me I was not very impressed with the vast amount of waste that goes on there.

ceewolfy
ceewolfy 04/07/09 - 06:44 pm
Jasonleford how can you say

Jasonleford how can you say you do not need the federal government to help find you a job when the government is paying for you to go to school. It seems to me that you are getting plenty of help from the government.

mieshel
mieshel 04/07/09 - 07:24 pm
ha ha ha your right

ha ha ha your right ceewolfy,,,