Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Obama's access should concern you

Wednesday on the editorial page, I read a comment that really got me to thinking.

My sister and I both were employed by DuPont at Savannah River Site during both the construction and operation phases back in the 1950s and were required to be "Q" cleared to ensure our employment and toÂallow us access to any classified documents required in our jobs.

The "Q" clearance meant that we had to have our backgrounds checked out by the FBI, which in those days did a thorough job. I remember that my Granddad was living in our home in Memphis in those days, and he almost had a fit when an FBI agent came up and started asking him some questions about me. Anyway, they really did a good job and I got my clearance.

What really scares me about Obama is that I don't believe he, with all his previous associations with certain individuals, could be given a "Q" clearance. The really bad potential is that as president of this country, he will have access to the biggest and most secret documents in existence today.

Is that not irony? Why do we not have the same requirements for our presidential hopefuls before giving them access to the most highly classified documents?

I'm not only "just wondering," I'm downright afraid for the future.

This should be a concern to anyone regardless of their political leanings.

Jim Shoffner

Augusta

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/26/08 - 05:14 am
Obama's stated and written

Obama's stated and written views while in college also would prevent him from getting any kind of security clearance. Bringing up this fact is just plain racist. Vote for the skin color, not the message.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 10/26/08 - 06:11 am
Your argument holds no water.

Your argument holds no water. There are plenty of WHITE REPUBLICANS who will vote for Obama. Kinda gets yer goat, there, don't it, PT?

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 10/26/08 - 07:56 am
Jim, you have every right to

Jim, you have every right to be afraid for our future if Barack Obama is elected. If he is not elected you probably will have to worry about a few weeks of riots and then eveything will setle down. Obama most certainly would not pass an FBI background check (especially a Q) until he produced a certfied copy of his Birth Certificate, something he has never done.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 10/26/08 - 08:01 am
Copperhead. What's the

Copperhead. What's the percentage of whites voting for Obama. Now what's the percentage of Blacks voting for Obama. Why is there such a difference? Do you think it is because of his stand on the issues? If so, which issues? Kinda gets yer goat there, don't it GAC?

trying to understand
trying to understand 10/26/08 - 08:02 am
Too many people are caught up

Too many people are caught up in Obama's name. It is sad to see that so many Americans take things at face value only. I have a friend who's father is a racist, but he is not. My father was an alchoholic, but I am not. I have relatives who are upstanding citizens, but their children are addicted to crack. Look at the person and his deeds, not his name and his parentage. By the way, Obama was raised by his mother and midwestern grandparents. Are they "evil" Muslims?

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 10/26/08 - 08:07 am
Looking at nothing but

Looking at nothing but Obama's socialistic views, the views we fought the cold war to prevent, should be enough to sway someone away from voting for him, tryingtounderstand.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 10/26/08 - 08:11 am
You will notice that most of

You will notice that most of Obama's supporters on here will dodge the issue of the LET, which is that unless elected to a public office which mandates that he have a security clearance, he would NEVER be able to obtain one because of his past actions (drug use) and associations.

angiesdad
angiesdad 10/26/08 - 08:22 am
idiots he has already been

idiots he has already been investigated and cleared.he already has access to classified information in the senate.if he was not qualified to be a presidential candidate,he would not have gotten this far.he cannot be elected and not have access to any security clearance.he will have the person and the nuclear football near him 24/7.i can't wait until he's elected and we can laugh at you fearmongers,and see it didn't happen this time.got anymore reasons to disqualify him? hurry before he's sworn in idiots!

trying to understand
trying to understand 10/26/08 - 08:30 am
If Obama had run for

If Obama had run for president in 2000, this letter to the editor would not have been written. I really think that many of us want someone to hate. For 40+ plus years, it was the Russians and their communism that we went to bed in fear of. Now it is anyone with a Muslim name and/or a turban. If you want to hate something, let it be injustice in your own community and nation. If you want to hate someone, let it be the person who launches unprovoked attacks on other nations, whether he be Saudi Arabian or American.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 10/26/08 - 08:37 am
No angiesdad, you are wrong.

No angiesdad, you are wrong. When elected to Senate you will get a the necessary security clearance regardless of your past. That is the double standard that everyone has a problem with. Get a little facts before you post again please.

owensjef2
owensjef2 10/26/08 - 08:45 am
SisterAbdullahX go do some

SisterAbdullahX go do some research. In fact Obama is going to have a large percentage of white votes and any idiot knows that Republicans, since Lyndon Johnson and dixiecrats turning Republican, have never received a large amount of Black votes.The fact that Alan Keys and Carol Mosley Braun never got traction in the Black Community blows your dumb little argument out the window.
Perhaps the question should be why are Blacks still voting for a democrat instead of the silly race implications that you and others continue to imply.

owensjef2
owensjef2 10/26/08 - 08:48 am
I have never seen abdullah

I have never seen abdullah mention George Bush's drug use are abuse of alcohol once. Now he's worried about someone's clearance.

trying to understand
trying to understand 10/26/08 - 08:50 am
SisterAbdullahX, I am not in

SisterAbdullahX, I am not in need of social programs, but many people are. Are you saying that everyone should fend for himself? If that is the case, we will spend more time guarding our front doors with a shotgun than "living."

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 10/26/08 - 09:15 am
Why yes, If by "fend for

Why yes, If by "fend for himself" you mean be responsible for your own upkeep.

angiesdad
angiesdad 10/26/08 - 09:15 am
so explain this to us sister,

so explain this to us sister, he gets elected, has secret service protection,but can't have any security clearances so how will get into the whitehouse to live?how will he visit the pentagon?who will read the nuclear codes if we're attacked if he can't use the codes?if there is an attack and he needs to go to norad or some secure area to respond where will he go with no clearance?you are stupid to believe that the fbi would have let this come this far,if he weren't already cleared.as a matter of a fact he probably already gets daily briefing from the cia already.you need to ask someone who knows about gov't, not me.

disssman
disssman 10/26/08 - 09:16 am
You know Jim I had the same

You know Jim I had the same thoughts about Johnny Mac when I saw the photos of him socializing with the admitted Viet Cong official responsible for eleminating POWs/MIAs after the war, That party Johnny Mac was attending took place during the time he was trying to quash the POW/MIA investigations. I also thought about it when I saw him giving interviews on TV from the Hanoi hospital, in violation of his sworn committment not to do so. I also wonder how Johnny Mac would get a "Q" in light of the fact his wife was an admitted drug user? Or better yet little Sarahs, on-going investigation as to whether she used her office for personal gain? Yes, we all need to look at our candidates ability to get a clearance.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 10/26/08 - 09:18 am
angiesdad...when you are

angiesdad...when you are elected President, you AUTOMATICALLY get a clearance, regardless of your background.

shivas
shivas 10/26/08 - 09:19 am
Jim, you forgot to say he's a

Jim, you forgot to say he's a Muslim who wants our children to wear turbans. Another shot of desperation. It's actually becoming somewhat of a bore. No one's listening because the right-wing has lost credibility with Americans. 8 years of failure is just too much to lie your way out of.

trying to understand
trying to understand 10/26/08 - 09:29 am
So lets say that I am 65

So lets say that I am 65 years old. I have been responsible for my own upkeep and that of others for 40+ years, gone to church every Sunday, etc. I have reached retirement age, but my medications take a huge chunk out of my retirement/social security money and I have very little to live on. I need medicaid. Is it my fault? I've done everything that I was supposed to do.

SusieQ
SusieQ 10/26/08 - 09:35 am
Did anyone watch Hannity last

Did anyone watch Hannity last night??? If not you need to look it up on the internet!!! SusieQ

shamrock
shamrock 10/26/08 - 09:41 am
I know people that have their

I know people that have their life's history picked apart all the way back to elementary school not to mention having to reveal names and addresses of relatives, including in-laws (past and present), just to work at Fort Gordon. President Hussein Obama will not have to meet the same rigid requirements to have access to our countries most "intimate" secrets. Those secrets could be a great bargaining chip when he wants to sit down (without preconditions) with our greatest enemies! Be afraid ... be really afraid for this country!

angiesdad
angiesdad 10/26/08 - 09:58 am
so sister then anyone can be

so sister then anyone can be president! all they have to do is get elected and are given a security clearance.do you know how stupid that sounds?are you tripping this early in the morning.if i was you i would delete that post fast, before you're made a laughingstock.

trying to understand
trying to understand 10/26/08 - 10:02 am
AGAIN, If Obama had run for

AGAIN, If Obama had run for president in 2000, this letter to the editor would not have been written. I really think that many of us want someone to hate. For 40+ plus years, it was the Russians and their communism that we went to bed in fear of. Now it is anyone with a Muslim name and/or a turban.

SCEagle Eye
SCEagle Eye 10/26/08 - 10:03 am
Lets hope that the SRS

Lets hope that the SRS socialist crowd indeed has something to fear if Obama is elected - fewer government subsidies and handouts and more concern for the impact to tax payers of nuclearschemes which serve only special interests. Nothing could be more patriotic.

realistineducation
realistineducation 10/26/08 - 10:18 am
seems like the person is just

seems like the person is just bitter because they were layed off from their do-nothing, high paying job, get a grip,

pchez31
pchez31 10/26/08 - 10:24 am
Angiesdad, you are

Angiesdad, you are hilarious!!!

dani
dani 10/26/08 - 10:33 am
owensj Obama is the person

owensj Obama is the person who was into drugs by his own admission. Do you know how long his drug use lasted? NO? I didn't think so.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 10/26/08 - 10:37 am
Yes angiesdad...that's what

Yes angiesdad...that's what the US Constitution says is the requirement for President. Have you ever read it?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 10/26/08 - 10:41 am
GaC, your posts are every bit

GaC, your posts are every bit as well thought out as shivas and oj2. And about as true.

trying to understand
trying to understand 10/26/08 - 10:41 am
Dani, what about George "Nose

Dani, what about George "Nose Candy" Bush? How about Bill "Puff-Pass" Clinton? I do not condone drug use, but we ALL have done something stupid that we don't want anyone to know about.

ARC to honor 1956 championship team

Because the championship year of 1956 has never lost its glory in Richmond Academy football lore, the team will be honored Thursday at the third annual ARC Hall of Fame banquet, where 10 alumni ...