Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Gay pride day at SRS is offensive

I am a Christian who has sat idly by and watched a very small group of gay activists attempt to erode the moral structure of this country. The media and a number of large companies have been aiding this decay. Now it appears our government is no longer satisfied to remain rightly neutral.

On June 14, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy, Savannah River Site will hold a gay pride program on-site. The DOE has decided that it is acceptable to spend the tax money we've entrusted to them on this. I am not only appalled and angry, but deeply offended. The income I work so hard to earn is now being taxed to fund programs that are offensive and perverse, and wholly in violation of my religious freedom.

One of the scheduled speakers at this program is listed as Prof. Shelly Ford from Augusta State University who will speak on "Today's Reality: Living with Isms and Phobias." The intent of these "isms and phobias" is to convince society that people who believe as I do are inherently wrong in their beliefs. I hope most readers find this as disgusting and appalling as I do.

Voice your opposition to this government-sponsored perversion. Let our elected officials know that regardless of what the media and left-wingers say, we don't want this in our community. Please don't let a small group of activists force this on us and our children.

We as Christians have a moral obligation to speak out against this. But even if you are not a Christian, do you really want your tax dollars being spent to promote the idea that a homosexual lifestyle is an acceptable part of who we are as Americans?

Tommy Paschall, Beech Island, S.C.

wildman
wildman 06/12/07 - 05:19 am
Well said, I think we should

Well said, I think we should stop all special interests days at all government facilities. Imagine how much money is wasted on non mission related activities.

mgroothand
mgroothand 06/12/07 - 05:36 am
Why not just execute all gays

Why not just execute all gays in a Christian manner? While I agree that government funds should not be expended for special interest groups, the first sentence in the writer's letter gave away his bias towards anything he does not consider normal or "Christian". It might surprise him to know that many gay people are also Christians. Laissez faire.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/12/07 - 05:41 am
Mr Paschall, bad news.

Mr Paschall, bad news. Homosexuality is being taught in our schools at the earliest levels. You've never heard of "Sally has Two Mommies"? It's a reading book for grade schoolers designed to lessen the impact of the introduction to homosexuality. Homosexuality is also popular in high schools for shock value and of course wins favor with to many teachers. More and more young people are discovering the 'homogene' as this lifestyle choice becomes more socially acceptable. The times they are a-changin', Mr. Paschall. Good or bad no longer plays in this trend, it will have to play itself out or be integrated.

Reality
Reality 06/12/07 - 06:05 am
Government offices should not

Government offices should not spend "our" money on special interests. If someone is gay that is their business but I don't want it to be seem as the norm. I also don't agree with teaching homosexuality at public schools. My daughter said she wasn't getting married she would just live with her boyfriend and have kids. She is 7, she has seen this behavior from other students "parents" and thinks it is acceptable , not....

Pinchgut
Pinchgut 06/12/07 - 06:43 am
SRS -Sitback, Relax and Slide

SRS -Sitback, Relax and Slide

pubsearch
pubsearch 06/12/07 - 07:10 am
Sir you make all Christians

Sir you make all Christians sound like bigots. I don't care what you think our national morals should be, but no one is trying to attack them. I am not gay and I do find it disgusting, but I will not say they are wrong to live that way. You're freedom is not at risk, their's is. I agree state funds should never go to demonstrations of societal riffs that make it easier for ignorant people like you to point the finger at the problem.

southern2
southern2 06/12/07 - 07:29 am
Right is right, wrong is

Right is right, wrong is wrong. This is wrong. There is no defense for supporting such a deplorable act. Thank you Mr. Paschall for having the couage to speak out. God bless you.

nahali
nahali 06/12/07 - 07:30 am
Regardless of what anyone

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the gay and lesbian lifestyle, I really can't fathom why this is appropriate for a federal energy facility. What are they doing holding any special programs? This is poor management of government funds.

LBenedict
LBenedict 06/12/07 - 07:57 am
This "celebration" should not

This "celebration" should not take place at a government facility. Yet another reason why SRS needs to close; remember, SRS was designed for one purpose, and since that has been served, there is NO reason to keep flushing money its way. It is now, in my book, PORK.

pofwe
pofwe 06/12/07 - 08:00 am
Why would anybody want their

Why would anybody want their perverted bedroom antics publicly known? I am a heterosexual alpha male and the things my female sex partners and I do are private & personal. Anyone that one flaunt their perverted sexual desires has deeper problems than just being "queer."

nfgshetahet
nfgshetahet 06/12/07 - 08:01 am
Looks like the management at

Looks like the management at SRS does not have enough to do. What is the point to have a gay day? I would think this could potentially isolate people more then bring them together. Why not spend money on more team related activities where color, sex, homosexuality does not apply

curly123053
curly123053 06/12/07 - 08:15 am
The DOE could use our tax

The DOE could use our tax dollars more wisely by taking the money they spend on special interest activities and funneling it to the Ecology Lab. And, as a Christian I applaud Mr. Paschall for standing up for what the Bible teaches. Yes, it teaches us to love each other regardless, but it also states the homosexuality is WRONG. The Law of the Land might say gayism is acceptable, but the Law of the MAN in Heaven says otherwise. I choose to support the Law of the MAN in Heaven.

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 06/12/07 - 08:21 am
What is the evidence that

What is the evidence that they are spending money? How does one know this is no more expensive (i.e. zero) than Secretary appreciation day? It seems to me that what we need in this country is more Star Trek. How in the Hell can we expect to meet new life and new civilizations if we can't handle the diversity that's right in front of us? Does one actually think that the rest of God's creation is composed purely of straight Christian white men? And to the creepy Godless bigots like PT and Lbenedict, I would remind you that, on the Sermon on the mount, Jesus taught that, on the day of Judgement, God would be as pitiless and merciless a judge of you, as you are of others. Come they geart gettin'-up morning, I sure would hate to be you.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/12/07 - 08:27 am
LBenedict, the Pork you speak

LBenedict, the Pork you speak of is currently taking legacy waste and converting it to reactor fuel which is helping to cut our dependency on Arab oil. They will soon be converting the plutonium from weapons into reactor fuel as well. Also, would you suggest we just close the gates and walk away or continue with the decomissioning?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/12/07 - 08:29 am
Would anyone think it is

Would anyone think it is appropriate to hold a heterosexual pride celebration?

OpinionatedWoman
OpinionatedWoman 06/12/07 - 08:34 am
Mr. Paschall, I agree with

Mr. Paschall, I agree with you whole-heartedly. Some other posters have chosen to use part of scripture while leaving other scripture out. To the person who used the Sermon on the Mount, I'm assuming you are referring to "judge not that ye be not judged". While it is not my place to judge the matter of a person's heart, it is also clearly stated in the Bible that homosexuality goes completely against God and is a sin. If I were to say that a homosexual person is a child molester... that would be judgemental. I would be judging that person beyond what I know to be true. If I state that someone living a homosexual lifestyle is living in sin, that is true and not a judgment according to what God says. It's all about the world view. I do not choose to believe that there is no such thing as morality. I choose to believe that God is perfect and anything short of that is sin. As for the gay pride day, I do not see how that has anything to do with a work atmosphere. I think they are opening up room for hard feelings on both sides, that they are discussing sexuality at work, which last time I checked was a big no-no, and that they are dictating morality in the wrong environment.

curly123053
curly123053 06/12/07 - 08:38 am
AMEN Princessbrene!!

AMEN Princessbrene!!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/12/07 - 08:45 am
Whether or not you are in

Whether or not you are in favor of or against homosexuality, this celebration is inappropriate in the workplace. SRS and other large corporations have a bad habbit of pushing diversity for the sake of diversity simply because it is PC.

xqwbv2
xqwbv2 06/12/07 - 08:47 am
Onward, Christian fascists.

Onward, Christian fascists.

curly123053
curly123053 06/12/07 - 08:51 am
The politically correct

The politically correct movement is killing this country. The PC movement wants to take everything that is morally and ethically wrong and make it acceptable. And, we wonder what is happening to this country!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/12/07 - 08:52 am
xqwbv2, are you saying that

xqwbv2, are you saying that it IS appropriate to have a celebration on Government property that revolves around sexual orientation?

curly123053
curly123053 06/12/07 - 08:53 am
xqwbv2....us Christians are

xqwbv2....us Christians are used to your type of persecution.

Raindance
Raindance 06/12/07 - 08:53 am
ME! ME! ME! I'm in favor of

ME! ME! ME! I'm in favor of heterosexual day, kpc! On what day should it be?

curly123053
curly123053 06/12/07 - 08:57 am
lol

lol

xqwbv2
xqwbv2 06/12/07 - 09:00 am
Awww, poor pitiful curly.

Awww, poor pitiful curly. You Christians control the government of the United States and have a president who licks your kind's butt, but it's apparently not enough.

curly123053
curly123053 06/12/07 - 09:14 am
xqwbv2--I will pray for you.

xqwbv2--I will pray for you.

whatever1
whatever1 06/12/07 - 09:18 am
I agree that no one group

I agree that no one group should have a special interest day. So with that said then there should be on Christmas celebration, 4th of July, company picnic, family day or anything else that does not relate to business--pure and simple. A place of business is just that and should not have anything to do with an employees private life. We have become to PC for the sake of PC. Everyone should have the right to do as they please as long as no one else is hurt. And as for the whole Christian thing as minister once said--"Religion is man reaching up to God and Christianity is God reaching down to man"--they are not the same--think about it.

Waymore
Waymore 06/12/07 - 09:23 am
When are we going to

When are we going to celebrate heretosexual family unit day? I'm straight and I'm proud, why can't we celebrate that?

everyday_person
everyday_person 06/12/07 - 09:39 am
I don't agree with the use of

I don't agree with the use of government funds for this purpose. At ANY workplace, in the public or private sector, I wouldn't agree with spending company money to celebrate a group of ANY TYPE of people. To me, any activities to support employee morale would focus on all workers and would call no attention to the personal lives. What is bothersome, however, is that many of these posts (as well as the editorial itself) branch off from the topic of poor government spending onto the topic of homosexuality itself. Some of you mentioned you were heterosexual, but that you have no problems with homosexuals. To the others, who spoke so harshly about homosexuality, I ask what is so bothersome? So...you believe it is wrong? Okay, believe it then, it is your right, but why spend so much time hating others who disagree? Some of you believe God disapproves of this, and it's fine that you feel that way, but why don't you leave it up to God to decide this? If you are "towing the line" with God, why spend so much time being outraged at those who aren't? How are YOU hurt when another person is gay?

misscj0123
misscj0123 06/12/07 - 09:45 am
Is SRS going to have at

Is SRS going to have at heterosexual day? I would like to attend when they do since I am heterosexual. They really should to avoid any discrimination lawsuits.