One for the books

Costco finds out quickly what sells in the marketplace of ideas

Costco announced this week it would restock its shelves with a popular new book by a noted critic of President Obama.

It’s still perplexing as to why the retailer pulled the title in the first place.

Dinesh D’Souza’s America: Imagine a World Without Her was rising in sales and on the eve of a major marketing push to coincide with the release of its accompanying documentary film when one of the nation’s largest retailers made the decision before the Fourth of July holiday to have it yanked from all store shelves by July 15.

Costco Chief Financial Officer Richard Galanti had said the retail chain pulled D’Souza’s book because it was not selling well and wasn’t on The New York Times’ best-seller list.

But the oddly timed decision only fueled speculation that the Seattle-based retailer, whose founders are major Obama supporters, pulled the book for political reasons. Thousands of angry Costco shoppers threatened to cancel their store memberships, and protested the decision on the company’s Facebook page.

Late Tuesday, Costco relented and issued a statement on the page saying the movie had renewed customer interest in the book.

“Therefore, we have made the decision to reorder the book,” the company said.

As of Friday, the book was the No. 1 seller on Amazon.com. It is scheduled to debut on The New York Times’ best-seller list Sunday.

It’s easy to see how conservatives might accuse the warehouse chain of judging and jettisoning the book based on its pointed criticism of Obama’s progressive policies. Costco’s close relationship with the president is no secret – a political reporter for The Washington Post even described it as a “romance” that might just be “the most successful union of a politician and a supermarket in American history.”

Costco co-founder and recently retired CEO James Sinegal was a speaker at the 2012 Democratic National Convention. That same year he authored an email blast sent out by the Obama campaign and played host to a $50,000-a-plate fund-raiser dinner at his Seattle home.

Susan Brotman, wife of Costco co-founder Jeff Brotman, was an Obama campaign bundler in 2012 who collected more than $500,000 in donations. Costco itself has given $100,000 to Obama and another $100,000 to Priorities USA, the pro-Obama super-PAC.

Costco is a fairly recent and very welcome addition to the Augusta area, so we hope this brouhaha isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. We’d simply urge the retailer to take note of its special place in the American marketplace – and to accept its place in the sometimes contentious marketplace of ideas.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/12/14 - 06:53 am
I don't shop in CostCo and

I don't shop in CostCo and never will. It is disheartening to hear of businesses doing the same thing this administration is doing to the people of America - denying them access to information that will enable a person to make his or her own choice.

It's no wonder our country is in such turmoil when all they are allowed to hear are left wing ideals unless there is a protest or lawsuit to give equal access to information.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/12/14 - 11:43 am
Costco...imagine a world without it

I will not be renewing my Costco membership. Why would I spend my dollars with a company that uses its profits to destroy America when there are other good pro American place to shop. I am glad I learned about Costco's leaders.

i-feel-older-2day
i-feel-older-2day 07/12/14 - 07:41 am
I have read the book and seen

I have read the book and seen the movie, both are full of half truths. Both sides of the aisle, as hoptoad stated above, are denying the true information we are looking for to govern ourselves.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 07/12/14 - 08:05 am
$700,000?

Wow! Of course some was from the $500,000 bundled from a group of people, we don't know how many. $700,000? Gee, that's a whole $100,000 more than Alice Walton of the WalMart Klan contributed to the "Yes" side of the extremely biased worded Amendment 1 on Charter Schools in Georgia. Of course, donations to a Presidential campaign effect the entire nation, while Alice skipped to a state she doesn't live in to skew the vote. She gave $1.7 million to the same kind of vote in Washington state. As a matter of fact, most of the money for the "Yes" vote came from out of state, and she was the largest donor in Georgia and the second largest in Washington. I wonder if she mailed the check for the $600,000 so she didn't run the risk of getting her 3rd (or 4th) DUI, but when you're super rich, you do magic things like the prosecutor lets the statute of limitations run out, the arresting officer gets suspended, Have your second DUI magicall listed as a first offense, have it ruled an accident even though you blew .6 points over the legal limit, even kill a mother of two who as walking on the side of the road without a blood alcohol test done even though you're on film stumbling around barely able to walk. Yeah, let's compare donors Chronicle. Oh, don't forget, WalMart refuses to sell all kinds of books and CD's, like Sheryl Crow's CD that had the lyrics, " "Watch out sister/Watch out brother/Watch our children as they kill each other/with a gun they bought at the Walmart discount stores." They will sell the guns and ammo, however. CD's by John Mellencamp, The Goo Goo Dolls, and Nirvana have either had to change their covers or WalmMart cave under consumer pressure. They refused to sell Neil Young's "Living with War" CD because it had an anti war and anti Bush message. A store play politics? Did I miss the editorial condemning Wally World about banning "sometimes contentious marketplace of ideas"? I guess a pro-war and pro killing CD is much more proper. "America: the Book",by John Stewart and the Daily Show staff, which reached the top fifteen on the best seller list was banned by WalMart. They will, however, sell every piece of right wing trash from Coulter, O'Reilly, or Hannity, no matter how offensive or wrong. They won't sell any CD with a parental warning sticker, no matter what the reason, but sold the book, "The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion", an anti-semitic fraud. They finally dropped it but continue to sell racist junk from the (right next to the Klan) League of the South with pro-slavery and pro-Confederate revisionist history. D'Souza himself is nothing more than a far right, neocon, racist, homophobe, "christian" apologetic (who like so many holier than thou right wingers turned out to be an adulterer who fooled around on his wife, who had to plead down to a lesser charge to avoid prison for campaign finance illegalities, and we could go on and on. He's a birther, a fake, and a nutjob. More hypocrisy and more yellow journalism from the Chronicle. If there's an award for either, y'all should win hands down.

cush1944
cush1944 07/12/14 - 08:22 am
" Why would I spend my

" Why would I spend my dollars a a company that uses its profits to destroy America when their are other good pro American place to shop."
I agree 100%

deestafford
deestafford 07/12/14 - 08:27 am
I really like Costco and am somewhat perplexed...

I really like Costco and am somewhat perplexed by their actions. What ACES says is all true; however, they do have conservative books there and I have bought a number of them. The most recent being "Blood Feud the Clinton's vs the Obamas". The Costco here has not had D'Sousa's book in at all. Yes Hillary's poorly selling book has been and is still there.

I think Costco blew this one, but I don't think it was intentional...at least I hope not. When I first joined Costco and looked at their selection of books, knowing the left leadings of the founder, I was surprised at the number of conservative books available.

Even thought the founders and their families are very liberal and support liberal candidates, I think they are first and foremost about making money by providing quality stores, services, and products at good prices.

As conservative as I am, Attila the Hun has to look to the right to see me, I have never seen anything that reflects the liberal leanings of the leadership in the store. I think this just may have been an oversight or a misdecision. It has woken the Costco leadership to be more attuned to its customers' political leanings.

deestafford
deestafford 07/12/14 - 08:38 am
D'Sousa's book and movie get under the skin...

D'Sousa's book and movie get under the skin of the left because they go against the leftist pablum they have been bathing in for years. They are a product of the Howard Zinn indoctrination of anti-American, anti-Western view of history.

Somewhere in their lives when their skulls were full of mush they were exposed to the leftist, radical view of history and absorbed it like a dry sponge sucks up a rancid spill.

Not even a session tied to a chair under a single bright lite bulb could break them from their total brainwashing. It's useless to even try since they are incapable of understanding the truth; therefore, only try to save the savable.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/12/14 - 09:06 am
Shame on costco

There is a left agenda going on folks...it didn't just start with Costco...

Remember Paula Deen--Duck Dynasty & many, many others...what the right side of politics can't seem to realize is..SITTING BACK & SILENT won't work anymore....you will have to be vocal & shout.....this is NOT the same USA we had in the past...they DEMAND & the other side caves in...
It is HIGH time we made some demands...& I'm doing my part & I hope to God yall are making your part known to congress...

Even the illegals make their demands known...which is unbelievable to me...demand so much from a country that PROVIDES so much to them.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/12/14 - 09:12 am
So I guess this Costco guy is

So I guess this Costco guy is evil like the Koch bros accused? But the voice of the people did over ride the oppression.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/12/14 - 09:21 am
Funny how anyone attacks

Funny how anyone attacks Obama the progressives attack the person with ad hominem, because they can't provide any defense or legitimate argument for Obama. Course it wouldn't matter if the accuser were satan, that has nothing to do with Obama's being incompetent and a neomarxist and abusing his office.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/12/14 - 09:27 am
LOL Bod accusing someone

LOL Bod accusing someone being a " nut job" . Hey Bod what is your new conspiracy of the week. Turn off the MSNBC it is frying your brain. I was just watching MSNBC and they we're conflating or making a straw man that voter ID is " voter suppression" . The SCOTUS says it isn't and is the law of the land, but these folks are ignorant. Brainwashing.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/12/14 - 09:34 am
Unbelievable that everything

Unbelievable that everything the left wing says, its followers swallow it whole without even a drink of water to wash it down. But let the right not only say something, but provide proof of its validity and the left calls it "pablum" and discounts it as untruths.

deestafford
deestafford 07/12/14 - 10:09 am
In dealing with the left it helps to remember..

In dealing with the left it helps to remember that the left usually operates on emotion whereas the conservatives operate on rule of law and facts.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/12/14 - 10:16 am
I knew there was a good

I knew there was a good reason that I have not bothered to drive to the other end of the county to shop at Costco.

I guess I will remain loyal to Sam's, who came here and invested in Richmond County years ago.

Bod...do you really think anyone bothered to read all of that crap? And if they did, do you think they believed or cared about any of it? Do you really think I should condemn Walmart for not carrying something that puts their business in a bad light? That is a lot different that a store that sells books not carrying a popular book because of the owner's politics.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/12/14 - 11:19 am
Yep, it steers me more toward

Yep, it steers me more toward Sam's. About the same distance for me.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/12/14 - 11:46 am
ifeelolder2day

You stated "I have read the book and seen the movie, both are full of half truths".

I noticed you did not list any of the many "half truths". This seems to be a pattern with Marxist

OJP
OJP 07/12/14 - 12:17 pm
Ah good, conservatives admit this is a valid tactic.

All the hand wringing over Sterling and the Mozilla CEO was just hypocrisy.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/12/14 - 12:32 pm
What is a valid tactic?

What is a valid tactic? Costco pulling the book for ideological reasons or they decided the popular demand was just too much profit to slip by? I don't see how a free market response to a product supply and demand is the same as punishing people for ideological reasons. Who was punished? Costco just made more money to donate to Dems.

OJP
OJP 07/12/14 - 12:37 pm
Pressuring a business for political reasons.

I don't see anyone moaning about Costco's freedoms being restricted by bending to the will of customers (as was the case with Sterling and Mozilla but - of course - not Chick-fil-A).

OJP
OJP 07/12/14 - 12:53 pm
Who was punished?

There are literally people posting in these comments that they will not shop there anymore...

harley_52
harley_52 07/12/14 - 01:13 pm
"I have read the book and seen the movie...

....both are full of half truths. "

Well, if they are "full of half truths" it should be very easy for you to name one, or two.

Please do.....

OJP
OJP 07/12/14 - 01:24 pm
@deestafford

That... is the funniest comment I've ever read. The GOP is the anti-science party. You don't get less fact-based than that.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/12/14 - 01:56 pm
Costco rolled out the red

Costco rolled out the red carpet for Hillary's new book launch by setting up special booths and book signing events in Virginia. With her book sales in the tank I wonder if they will manage to find space on their shelves to keep her book in the store?

deestafford
deestafford 07/12/14 - 01:58 pm
OJP, Would you please list some "anti-science" positions....

OJP, Would you please list some "anti-science" positions of the GOP and just a few, not many, background evidence. I know it's hard to list a lot of references because you probably read a lot as I do and can't remember all the things that went into your head as far as references are concerned. I understand that but would like to see some anti-science examples.

OJP
OJP 07/12/14 - 02:21 pm
@deestafford

Sure: evolution, climate change, cosmology, and teaching creationism as science.

None of these are controversial to actual scientists. And science is a litmus test for me. If you don't "get" it, you don't get my vote.

Edit: Here's a poll from 2009 showing the GOP's woeful anti-science positions on climate change and evolution: http://www.people-press.org/2009/07/09/section-5-evolution-climate-chang...

I'm on a phone so can't really pull a lot of info right now.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 07/12/14 - 02:37 pm
Political "back and forths"

…are boring to me now….and actually quite humorous….as if anything we say here will actually make a difference.

The world is on fire, and we have "Our Dear Ruler" refusing to go to the border because he doesn't want a "photo op" but will play pool in a bar in Denver while laughing at being asked if he wants a hit off of a "doobie"…
All the while the impotent Republicrat party is making noises of lawsuits knowing full well they want the power that Richard Nixon only dreamed about that Herr Obama uses daily …..

It's all academic…..the "leftvs.right" argument is so 20th century..

I for one, believe we are witnessing the slow inexorable death of this republic, aided by a complicit media, an ignorant electorate and a corrupt power structure both in government and business…..

The only question is how long will it take for the body to be declared officially dead….tick tick tick...

OJP
OJP 07/12/14 - 02:50 pm
@Conservative Man

I agree that the dichotomy (left/right, GOP/Dem) isn't helpful overall but until we eliminate first-past-the-post voting or move to a more parliamentary system, politics in the U.S. will remain this way.

harley_52
harley_52 07/12/14 - 02:56 pm
"None of these are controversial to actual scientists."

Why, because YOU say so? I say they certainly are controversial and I agree with @deestafford, claiming the GOP is "anti-science" is foolish.

There is no (zero) credible, empirical evidence that either the earth's climate is warming outside any historic parameters. Nor is there any credible, empirical evidence mankind has had ANY effect on the earth's climate. Republicans don't deny it might happen, just that it has happened so far. And Republicans (like any other rational beings) understand that computer models developed by "scientists" who make their living via "global warming" are probably not the best way to PROVE anything.

OJP
OJP 07/12/14 - 03:18 pm
@harley_52

Case. In. Point.

Read the poll. It contains the ~90% consensus of scientists on both issues.

The GOP is comical on science. Unfortunately, the whole of society suffers for that.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/12/14 - 03:21 pm
What does evolution or

What does evolution or climate change have to do with government? I don't know why some people don't get evolution , but the fact Dems believe in it doesn't make their ill fated policy any better. Climate change is really too late to alter carbon dioxide- it takes a hundred years for it to have an effect. Now you can address ozone , methane, and aerosols. The thirty percent reduction Obama suggest is a waste of time, especially because policy allows China the worse culprit to actually increase their production because the "per capita" bias. It's insane right now because we need a strategic energy plan.