Ban thankfully fizzes out

Suppressing large sodas opens a can of potential government intrusions

Pop! There goes the soda ban. And thank heaven for that.

Americans as a whole definitely need to lose weight. But while shedding pounds, we can’t be shredding our freedoms.

That’s exactly what the New York ban on soft drinks larger than 16 ounces did. It put the government in charge of how big our beverages can be. The New York State Court of Appeals recently
agreed with a lower court that the city Board of Health overstepped its authority in issuing the ban.

As well-meaning as the ban was, it was a misguided, and alarming, intrusion of government into our daily lives. If the government can tell you how big your drinks can be, what else can it dictate? How much you eat, and what kind of foods?

The ban also was maddeningly inconsistent, “affecting establishments such as fast-food franchises while leaving convenience stores such as 7-Eleven exempt,” writes National Review Online. “And though New Yorkers couldn’t purchase huge sports drinks for workouts, equally huge milkshakes and fruit juices remained fair game.”

It must be said, just because you can drink big, sugary drinks doesn’t mean you should. It’s bad for you, and bad for the country – which absorbs the health costs from diabetes and other obesity-related problems.

But in a free country, there is just so much the government can – and should be allowed to – do for us.

Living a healthy lifestyle is a choice. It’s the right choice. But thankfully, it’s still your choice.

fedex227
fedex227 07/03/14 - 06:15 am
Yayy!! Diabetes and obesity wins!!

Why are my healthcare costs going up and my take-home pay being reduced beyond what was predicted before enactment of the ACA? Oh wait, I forgot- trickle down economics.

cush1944
cush1944 07/03/14 - 07:19 am
"Why are my healthcare costs

FEDEX, because democrats and the Liar-in-Chief lied to the America about the cost as they lied about 'you can keep your doctor'.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/03/14 - 07:55 am
Unworkable ban

What would stop someone from ordering 2 drinks--3 drinks?

Stop making stupid laws/bans....the Fed doesn't need more control over our daily life.

jimmymac
jimmymac 07/03/14 - 08:01 am
BAN

Liberals think government has the right to control our lives from cradle to grave. It's none of their business what I drink and how much. I bet you could still buy 40s. By the way I drink diet Coke so why can't I drink as much as I want?

jimmymac
jimmymac 07/03/14 - 08:01 am
BAN

jimmymac
jimmymac 07/03/14 - 08:01 am
BAN

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/03/14 - 08:08 am
Amen to that

Everyone who is overweight got that way because they made a choice to overeat or not eat healthy food and not exercise. A ban on soda is not going to stop anyone's bad eating/drinking habits, it's not going to make a light bulb come on in their head - "oh, because of that ban on soda, I must stop eating and drinking bad stuff and get me a treadmill."
It makes one wonder where these politicians get these ideas - they certainly have no common sense or maybe they think we don't.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/03/14 - 08:21 am
Sometimes I think the ads for

Sometimes I think the ads for medications to alleviate pain and suffering of diabetes (only if it's Type II) and neuropathy enforce the idea that it's alright to be overweight if they can just dose themselves. These meds are fine for an interim period, until the person starts a healthy life style. Type II can be controlled through diet.

When I see ads on TV of very overweight people complaining of neuropathy and diabetes, it makes me want to shake the pudding out of them and say they have these problems because they are overweight. Don't fill yourself up with medication, lose weight and do any exercises your body will allow you to.

So if having this disease does not make one change their lifestyle, why do politicians banning soft drinks think that will do the trick??

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/03/14 - 10:55 am
This law was a glimpse into

This law was a glimpse into the minds of progressives. There is nothing that they would not "force" others to do, because they know what is best for all.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/03/14 - 12:50 pm
fedex227......"Why are my

fedex227......"Why are my healthcare costs going up and my take-home pay being reduced beyond what was predicted before enactment of the ACA?"

Why???? Because the Democrat's predictions were flaming LIES when they made them. Because the cost of ANY socialist welfare program is ALWAYS 2 and 3 times what was predicted. And it will be going much higher next year.

And I can assure you that the New York ban, or even a nationwide ban, on sodas larger that 16 oz. would not have had ANY impact on diabetes or weight. It was a stupid law passed by ignorant ideologues who knew it would not accomplish anything when they passed it and who also knew that is was probably illegal.

As for your concerns about insurance rates, I see this morning that the health insurance companies in New York are requesting a 28% increase in their Democrat FORCED Obamacare rates. I figure for the average working middle class family that is going to be $1000 or more a year INCREASE. Good luck with that "lowering health care costs" Obama and the Democrat's LIE. New York is just the first shot out of the gun between now and the first of next year.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 07/03/14 - 01:48 pm
I haven't had a carbonated soft drink

in almost 3 years, but it was my choice to make, and I've benefited greatly from it. I might have felt very differently about the matter if it had been decided for me.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/03/14 - 02:19 pm
Once again look how long the Liberals got their way

before the courts slapped their wrists.

Cities that in act such personal choice bans should be held up to lawsuits and those that pass the personal choice infringements sued also.

cush1944
cush1944 07/03/14 - 04:25 pm
"in almost 3 years, but it

"in almost 3 years, but it was my choice to make, and I've benefited greatly from it."
Mr. Lester, how could you make such a decision without the advice of the wanta be queen Michelle?

corgimom
corgimom 07/03/14 - 07:06 pm
This wasn't about "liberals".

This wasn't about "liberals". Follow the money.

I would look very hard at who contributed to that mayor's campaign, and who didn't.

It's just like how EBT cards are used at convenience stores- that's the grocery store and convenience store lobbies, and they are powerful.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 07/03/14 - 07:40 pm
Whose choice is it?

If your choice is to be fat, it is your choice and that does not affect me, unless your when your heart attack comes you fall over on me. It is what you do that affects me directly that is where the line is drawn. As long as you do not exhale when you smoke, all is well. Of course now with Obamacare making me pay your health cost your choice to be fat is affecting me.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 07/03/14 - 07:40 pm
Whose choice is it?

Charges for sex offender

A man convicted of sex charges in Columbia County, who then went to prison for child molestation in south Georgia is back behind bars.