Cold-blooded act in a hot car

Newborn left alone in vehicle exposes shameful anything-goes society

We can’t peek into the mind of 20-year-old Alicia Manigault, who police say left her unattended 2-week-old child locked inside a hot vehicle in an unshaded Augusta parking lot Thursday.

But if we could, we probably would see an example of the rampant self-absorption and irresponsibility shaped by an anything-goes environment. It’s the rapidly-growing American subculture that fosters the jaw-dropping detachment necessary for a mother to leave a newborn baby alone in a parked car.

There would be little need to ponder the erosion of traditional family values – such as waiting to have children until you are ready to care for them – if the Manigault incident were a rarity. But it’s not. Leaving small children unattended in cars happens somewhere in America nearly every single day, and it doesn’t always end with the baby surviving the ordeal, as he thankfully did in this incident.

You want an anything-goes society, America? Well, this is what comes with the territory.

Parents have an unswerving obligation to protect their children. These small living things are among the most vulnerable among us. They require our constant care.

Ms. Manigault left the baby in the car to take a cosmetology exam. We hope she got an A-plus.

Her parenting gets an F.

myfather15
myfather15 06/21/14 - 05:51 am
"Parents have an unswerving obligation to protect their"

Why? They don't have to protect them while in the womb!! This liberal society we live in, has taught people NOT to value a babies life!! Wait, I suppose I should have called it a fetus; or a group of cells. No, actually I shouldn't have!! I should call it a living, breathing being!! A living being that liberals teach people it's perfectly fine to KILL!! It's Ok to suck it's brains out, about half way through delivery, so what's wrong with leaving it in the car?

I could go on, but I don't feel like it this morning!! I'll just say that liberals make me sick!!

corgimom
corgimom 06/21/14 - 06:23 am
That's right, the ACES can't

That's right, the ACES can't peek into the mind of that woman, but how about taking a CHRISTIAN attitude and saying that woman obviously needs HELP, not condemnation?

This is why people don't seek mental health treatment, because of the lack of understanding and just plain ignorance.

Like that of the ACES staff.

And they call themselves Christians.

Sickening.

And incidents like this happened during the time of "traditional family values", too, because it's about mental health, not liberals or abortion.

No mentally healthy woman would leave a 2 week old baby in hot car, ever, and that has nothing to do with abortion or "eroding of values".

Sophisticated
Sophisticated 06/21/14 - 06:30 am
Father charged with murder in toddler's death was 'Ferocious.'

Justin Harris of Marietta, Georgia was silent and shows no outward emotions during his brief appearance Thursday night before a judge. The father accused of killing his 22- month- old son by leaving him in a hot SUV while he claimed to be at work. By the time, the father realized he had left his toddler strapped in a car seat inside a steaming SUV all day Wednesday , it was too late. The 22- month- old was dead. This is not only cold- blooded but is 'Ferocious.' The father's story don't make sense.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/14 - 06:54 am
Think about this..

I'm not trying to be cute but in the past folks would leave their windows down & a breeze would filter through the car...our CRIME ridden country has changed all of that.

jimmymac
jimmymac 06/21/14 - 08:38 am
AC

Excellent editorial and an obvious indictment of todays society. It's me first and everyone else comes second. This woman has no defense for her actions and should go to jail to serve as a warning. Maybe these idiots don't have a care for the welfare of their children but maybe the fear of punishment will change their behavior.

JB68
JB68 06/21/14 - 08:50 am
Sickening??

What's sickening is the excuse making mentality of people like corgi. This woman was fully aware of what she was doing. Get a clue corgi!

Pond Life
Pond Life 06/21/14 - 08:51 am
"This woman DIDN"T seek an

"This woman DIDN"T seek an abortion when she became pregnant, and that's what the ACES wants, is no abortion- and that's what leads to situations like this. "

Pretty disgusting to imply that she should have just killed the child earlier. The selfish attitude that liberals try to instil in children at an early age comes back to bite them and they start to rationalize and make excuses, such as "she was mentally ill?" She wasn't mentally ill...she was behaving exactly as has been indoctrinated to act.

Pond Life
Pond Life 06/21/14 - 08:53 am
The only way to protect

The only way to protect children from bad parents is to kill them before they are born. Spoken like a true liberal.

bright idea
bright idea 06/21/14 - 10:35 am
I don't know

if it is selfishness or mental illness that causes this but either way it happens far too often. It also tells us just how stupid so many people are. Clearly no thought is put into the fact that young children should never be left alone under any circumstances. There simply is no excuse for it, including "I forgot" or "I can't afford a babysitter."

myfather15
myfather15 06/21/14 - 12:34 pm
I'm glad we have our resident

I'm glad we have our resident psychologist on board today!! That's just amazing, that one can simply read an article and diagnose this as mental illness, in need of treatment; rather than ridiculously selfish person, committing a selfish act!!

But, by liberals standards; everyone who has committed a crime has mental illness; or at least all murderers. Because everytime we try to put them to death, that is the argument that they have mental issues. I'm so sick of liberal's pathetic excuses for everything!!

Pond Life
Pond Life 06/21/14 - 01:59 pm
Myfather...that is because

Myfather...that is because many of them don't believe in good and evil.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 06/21/14 - 02:09 pm
Leave it to the ACES to

Leave it to the ACES to conflate the behavior of this mother with all the ills of society. Leave it to some of the regular posters to conflate her behavior with liberalism.

Go ahead and say what you are thinking, ACES. It's Obama's fault.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 06/21/14 - 02:11 pm
".....that is because many of

".....that is because many of them don't believe in good and evil."

I see good and evil in comments posted here nearly every day.

Pond Life
Pond Life 06/21/14 - 02:17 pm
And leave it to "truth"

And leave it to "truth" matters to totally miss the point.

Pond Life
Pond Life 06/21/14 - 02:35 pm
"I see good and evil in

"I see good and evil in comments posted here nearly every day."

As do I. Those supporting a way of life that seeks to eliminate personal responsibility are truly evil.

And it's NEVER Obama's fault...didn't you get the memo...it's Bush's fault. You know..the one who said there were WMD's in Iraq....that ISIS found.

myfather15
myfather15 06/21/14 - 02:43 pm
Truth never matters;

If you would pay a little more attention, you would have noticed I DID NOT conflate her behavior with liberalism! I never said her specific behavior had ANYTHING to do with liberalism.

What I did conflate was the making of EXCUSES, for this type behavior with liberalism; which I believe is accurate!! Liberals are the ones constantly making excuses for every type of behavior thinkable. Where one person looks at something and says it's an evil act, that needs punishment, a liberal looks at it as a disease, that needs treatment!! Which is a flawed THEORY. Many of these people receive treatment over and over, and never change; many because they don't WANT to change. They are content with who they are and how they act.

But what really got me, was how someone can determine this person is mentally ill, simply from reading about the incident. I've personally dealt with MANY of these types situations and YES, some of them are nothing but pure selfishness!!

Now, she was going to take a test; and wasn't going bowling. So I'm sure it's crossed someone mind that she was trying to improve her life and children's life by getting a better education. Would you really accept that as an excuse for this behavior?

myfather15
myfather15 06/21/14 - 02:50 pm
Well, I suppose extreme

Well, I suppose extreme selfishness could be the next recognized "disease". I believe it's already called narcissism.

One robs a store for money? They've got a disease and need treatment.

One kills their wife for insurance settlement? They've got a disease and need treatment.

One sells narcotics? They've got a disease and need treatment. (I've actually heard this one)

One creates a ponzi scheme? They've got a disease and need treatment.

Get the point?

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 06/21/14 - 03:29 pm
It makes you wonder if it was

It makes you wonder if it was a subconscious attempt to get rid of a child she didn't want anymore. Whatever it is, it is a crime and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. No child deserves this.

bigj706
bigj706 06/21/14 - 04:37 pm
I have no excuse for what she

I have no excuse for what she did, but what gives anyone and I mean anyone the right to say they know what happen. I don't care if you seen it a million times your are still not a PHD so you can't talk just like anyone else.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/21/14 - 05:39 pm
HELP!

Corgimom posted:

That woman obviously needs HELP, not condemnation!

I'm sorry, Corgimom, but your statement is not very helpful. I agree that the woman's sense of morality is warped. Her sense of duty is skewed. Her sense of compassion is cold. She can be described only as selfish.

She indeed does need help. But first she has to come a realization from within her mind and soul that she needs help. For government to "force" help upon her will not cure her selfishness.

What kind of "help" would you propose, Corgi? Financial? Free, walk-in walk-out daycare whenever and wherever she chooses? Spiritual? Psychiatric?

Who would you propose should pay for that help, Corgimom? The woman? You? Me? The State?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I realize it is late on Saturday evening and no commenter is likely to read this thread again; but I just had to ask.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/21/14 - 06:02 pm
One Comment!!

This Defective Gene Liberal female needs to do only one thing!

LOOK AT MY AVATAR

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 06/21/14 - 06:45 pm
I normally don't agree with corgi

But most mothers are like in our animal world - they will keep their baby so close - in a protection mode.