Let's hear it for Helen

Blocker-Adams should be Augusta's next mayor

Because she’s so upbeat and personable, Helen Blocker-Adams may have fooled some folks into thinking she’s not tough enough to be mayor.

Helen Blocker-Adams, brimming with ideas and enthusiasm, is the mayor Augusta needs. She sees Augusta's potential, and has a great deal of potential herself.  JON-MICHAEL SULLIVAN/FILE
JON-MICHAEL SULLIVAN/FILE

How could such a nice lady ever hope to go up against all those bickering, limit-testing men on the Augusta Commission, some wonder.

Well, this editorial staff has seen firsthand what this woman is made of: When she fell short of the runoff election in 2005, there was a ton of pressure on her, as a black woman, not to endorse the white Deke Copenhaver over the black Willie Mays.

After much soul-searching, she stood up to the pressure – and helped propel Copenhaver to a series of terms that became a stabilizing influence in Augusta political history, calming the turbulent political waters here.

That took principle and courage on her part. And this woman’s got both.

Moreover, she’s got the vitality this town is in so desperate need of, and there’s little doubt she’ll shake things up – in a good way.

We encourage you to vote for Helen Blocker-Adams for mayor. We ask you to go out of your way to do so; come out and vote for her, even if you weren’t planning to vote.

She’s worth it. She’s the candidate of progress and positivity. And she has the potential to put her mark on Augusta history like few leaders we’ve ever seen.

An entrepreneur, motivational speaker and former economic development ombudsman, Blocker-Adams is action-oriented and an engine of ideas; she’s even keeping a list of the best ideas she hears on the campaign trail.

She’s already got plans to stretch the city’s beautification budget with some private-sector volunteers. She’s already been meeting with city department heads. She plans an advisory council on transparency – another thing this city desperately needs. She is fervent in wanting to expand and strengthen the area’s manufacturing community. She wants to make Augusta more child and youth friendly. And she won’t shy away from fighting to put the name “Augusta” back on the city’s leading university.

That’s no small matter. We need a mayor who is willing to stand up for Augusta.

Before questioning her toughness, consider: Blocker-Adams’ chief competition for mayor, state Sen. Hardie Davis, told us that, while he objects to the Georgia Regents University name, he won’t fight it unless told to by the public.

We also were alarmed at a Georgia Senate report – signed onto by Davis – that called for arrest reports and mug shots to be kept secret. That’s a frightening erosion of the public’s right to know.

Helen Blocker-Adams is in favor of more transparency, not less, and she’s plenty tough. Most important, her enthusiasm leaves you believing that Augusta’s best days are ahead of it.

They just may be.

deestafford
deestafford 05/10/14 - 10:41 pm
I agree with ACES on this one...

I agree with ACES on this one. HBA will make the best mayor of all those running. She has less an ego to feed than the others as well.

hairgirl
hairgirl 05/11/14 - 01:49 am
True Character & integrity! Truth always wins!

This article describes Helen P Blocker-Adams to perfection. Her character & integrity have been clear for 55 years! Some say what has she done with her career? She hasn't been successful? What is your measure of success? Hers has never been $. It has been in changing lives & making a difference. One life at a time. One day at a time. And she will continue to build her legacy as the best mayor that Augusta has ever had. I am very proud to be her Campaign Chairwoman & her friend for 25 years. I have seen it personally for that long & will until we stop breathing & to eternity!

hairgirl
hairgirl 05/11/14 - 01:49 am
True Character & integrity! Truth always wins!

specsta
specsta 05/11/14 - 01:57 am
The Arts Will Re-Make Augusta

Blocker-Adams has shown a deep interest in the arts community and recognizes the need to expand the arts in this city. This is vital to the future of Augusta.

She also understands that Augusta can't be content with remaining the sleepy little town, "down the way" from Atlanta. I do think she is a visionary.

Augusta doesn't need another manufacturing plant paying minimum wages; Augusta needs to tap into the billion-dollar entertainment industry out of Hollywood that is fueling a re-birth in Atlanta. Tyler Perry studios, Pinewood Studios, Screen Gems Studios, TV show productions, major and independent films and a huge music industry are right in metro Atlanta. Maybe Helen can be the one to tap into that industry for Augusta.

hairgirl
hairgirl 05/11/14 - 06:32 am
New energy for Augusta

Helen will bring a new found energy to our city. She has a deep love for people & has some amazing new plans & partnerships that will work toward bringing new industry to Augusta. I am excited about our city being clean more than two weeks out of the year. She isn't driven by money, power, & owes no favors to any special interests!

willie7
willie7 05/11/14 - 06:46 am
Happy that the Chronicle

Happy that the Chronicle didn't endorse Hardie Davis.
The editorial staff has a losing percentage of endorsements.

This is an endorsement that most candidates don't want!!!!

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 05/11/14 - 07:12 am
As an Alvin Mason supporter....

...I am not surprised that the ACES did not endorse him..

However,I will take Helen over Hardie all day long.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/11/14 - 07:20 am
Helen Blocker-Adams reiterated her opposition to the tax package

That one thing is enough for me.

She would have to really step in a big pile of her own doing for me change my mind.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/11/14 - 07:26 am
I got no vote

Blocker-Adams may very well be the best. But, the problem with this editorial is the lack of specifics. She wants a lot of cool things but what are the plans to accomplish them. Have they been discussed? I mean, I want the Braves to win the World Series! What is the old saying about "hope in one hand and..............."

catfish20
catfish20 05/11/14 - 07:38 am
Not a chance

No specifics about what or how she will change anything...selected quotes from other candidates...how about "I will meet with every ARC employee during my first year in office." from HBA. What does she do for a living explain that to me please....HBA is a lightweight who has not clue where to start changing things in ARC. You guys really missed the boat on this endorsement...but I can only assume you wrote this endorsement sitting at your computer somewhere in Columbia county...tell me it isn't so....This feel good stuff will carry you only so far you have to have a plan...

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/11/14 - 07:50 am
Congratulations HBA!

This is and always has been an important political endorsement.

NO matter what anyone says, every candidate seeks this and folks pay attention to it.

This is an interesting year in politics here in Augusta.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/11/14 - 08:17 am
Out to lunch on this

Nahhh...I wouldn't put too much faith in this...remember the Sheriff's race..
Hardie & Mason will fight it out!

Pops
Pops 05/11/14 - 09:51 am
"Blocker-Adams has shown a deep interest in the arts community

and recognizes the need to expand the arts in this city. This is vital to the future of Augusta."

I have a great idea......how about the "arts community" expand the arts in Augusta.......why have the government involved.....???

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/11/14 - 10:19 am
Gracie Allen

Every movie needs a Gracie Allen type character.

Dixieman
Dixieman 05/11/14 - 10:38 am
Well she is...

...the best of a bad lot, so she gets my vote.

SRD
SRD 05/11/14 - 10:43 am
QUALIFY

Did I miss something? How about qualifications. You are basically voted for a cheerleader! When was enthusiasm a qualification for Mayor? Will she be handing out Valium at the commissioner meetings to keep things calm?
I'd rather have someone with the "Courage" to be honest with the voters about the terrible fiscal conditions of this city and who puts the priorities of the people ahead of those of special interest who profit while the people suffer.
The fact that Helen endorsed Deke in the Chronicle and is now supporting her makes me believe that she would just be more of the same.

Darby
Darby 05/11/14 - 11:24 am
I voted for Helen, I voted NO on SPLOST

and I voted to keep Deal.

I'm satisfied with what were some difficult choices.

No thing and no situation is perfect and so I went with the old adage, "Don't allow the perfect to become the enemy of the good."

Make the difficult choices and don't sit around wringing your hands.

GuyGene
GuyGene 05/11/14 - 02:48 pm
If I could vote in Augusta...

I'd vote for HBA! I just think she's the best candidate.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 05/11/14 - 04:30 pm
Go Helen!

I was on Helen's radio show once as a guest and I was deeply impressed with her intelligence, personality, and concern for Augusta. I think she would make a great Mayor. I work in Augusta but don't live there so I don't have a vote but I am pulling for her.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 05/11/14 - 05:20 pm
Go Helen!

Double Post.

triscuit
triscuit 05/11/14 - 06:29 pm
Hardie and Helen in

Hardie and Helen in runoff...Helen wins. Take it to the bank.

corgimom
corgimom 05/11/14 - 07:17 pm
Specsta, there is no way that

Specsta, there is no way that film people will come to Augusta versus Atlanta.

They want somewhere that is easy to get to from all parts of the country.

Film studios are the next big fad, since malls and convention centers are now over and done with. And there is very little film work anymore, so that's going to be like convention centers- quickly overbuilt.

They are trying to build one in Charlotte, too, on old mall property.

grinder48
2059
grinder48 05/12/14 - 02:18 pm
Not Qualified

I hate that Davis is not anti-SPLOST but unfortunately he's the only qualified candidate. Any of the others will be an embarrassment. If anyone other than Davis wins, the Commission needs to immediately find funding to send the winner to school to learn to speak properly.

corgimom
corgimom 05/13/14 - 07:56 pm
Wonder if the ACES thinks she

Wonder if the ACES thinks she has so many principles, now.

SRD
SRD 05/14/14 - 05:32 am
EGG

Egg, wipe away the egg.

SRD
SRD 05/14/14 - 06:42 am
Shame Shame Shame

Shame on Helen for bringing up TMI. She won't get my vote, She is not qualified and she had to bring up a personal TMI excuse for her financial woes in a time in history when the economy was great!